Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2020 Official Member Review: Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges

StrokerAce

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge – Official MGS Forum Review by Dhartmann34

Intro

Being able to test a new wedge is really quite interesting for me for a few reasons. First, I’ve been looking for new wedges. I currently use Scor wedges (yes I know they’re old) and I have for a long while now. I am actually on my 3rd set of heads because I picked some up off of eBay when I realized how much I loved them. I am a fairly low handicap, playing to about a 3. My swing temp is on the quick side, especially in the transition. Being in the midwest, we have conditions anywhere from soaking wet, to bone dry, and even icey as we will play in almost any conditions. I don’t think any of the precipitation bothers me, but I’m not a huge fan of the cold and I’ll admit I’m a bit weak when it comes to anything under 55*. 

As I said, my current wedges, 50, 54, and 58, are Scor wedges. I’ve had them a long time and while I’ve been fit at Club Champion a couple of times, they never suggested I change the wedge heads, just the shafts. I have been using the Zipcore 58* with the mid bounce on it and with my 58* wedge, I’m usually using it on most shots from about 105 yards and in. Pitches, chips, bunker. You name it and I reach for the 58. My current wedge I enjoy because I can hit the ball high, medium and low and have great success with it. I would say my wedge game, especially from 50 yards and in, is probably the second strongest part of my game, behind my putting. I tend to chip in once every other round or so. 

20200813_104332.jpg.02f22a722709a6ba757a4387ae5f63a0.jpg

20200813_104257.jpg.d50001bab1d8b46acd98fbfb9f3e393c.jpg

First Impressions

It’s always exciting pulling a new club out of a box. You want to get it in your hands and experience that awe moment. And I don’t think picking up a new club ever disappoints. With the Zipcore, it felt good. Weighting felt right. Grip was stock, which I replaced since I play an MCC Plus 4 midsize grip on all my irons...and interestingly enough, the swingweight didn’t seem to feel much different. I also changed the lie angle as I play everything 2* up.

20200808_120224(1).jpg.bd5bbf82a4671bfabaf11f52868ab5bc.jpg

Cleveland talks about their new technology, and while there’s a lot of lingo to it, it was all about making it easier for a player to hit the sweet spot more consistently, while adding in more distance and control. I think when you hear all this marketing speak from OEM’s, you have to feel a little bit cynical...at least I do. So I was definitely interested to see how it performed on good, bad and indifferent shots. 

I was also interested in the Zipcore because I’ve only owned one other Cleveland wedge in my life...and I hated it! The feel was hard. The performance was less than stellar. I kept it a long time as my dad bought it for me for my birthday, but I absolutely despised that club. And that had a long lasting effect on staying away from Cleveland products in general down the line. 

With this club, I had goals in my mind on how it must perform for me. First, I needed the club to look square at setup and not be oversized looking. Maybe I’m snobby or just strange, but I like small heads on wedges. Next, I wanted to be able to hit short chips around the green and have them consistently ending up near the hole. I have great success with my current wedge, and since those wedge shots are what help me stay in the handicap range I’m in, I need the chipping aspects of the club to perform. And last, I want my full shots to fly high and stop. My Scor wedge maxes out about 105. That’s a good distance for me and gaps well so I expect the same loft to perform the same. If it could hit these goals, I have an old score wedge that could retire and head to the decorative bag in my home office. 

And making that decision isn’t an easy one for me. I put this club through a LOT of different runs. I spent time at the range hitting partial wedge shots. I chipped, pitched, flopped all around both practice greens and real greens on the course. I found myself hitting bunker shots from a lot of spots and even took some swings out of bark where I tend to find myself fairly often as my home course has these areas very close to the greens. I think I found that as I ran the club through the different practice routines and full rounds that I played with it (I think it was around 30 rounds or so), I thought of more ways to try and use it...even once as my ball was half submerged on the edge of a pond. Spoiler alert, that wasn’t a shining moment for me, the ball, or the club. I wish someone had taken a video...but then again, I am kind of glad someone didn’t. 

Grading

Looks (9 out of 10 points) 

20201004_203227.jpg.d224ea26fc158d2cf228799250fff9c7.jpg

20201004_203257.jpg.1a1e8a26edbc90d3922e46f5de3ec2be.jpg

20200809_204536.jpg.1a6c0ca13bfbb9c301b8960bdde6b68f.jpg

20200813_104400(1).jpg.9f059a5b0e6266b1e5a5ab5c0574bce2.jpg

I give the Zipcore a 9 out of 10 for looks. The color is gorgeous. The face has beautiful grooves and wondering milling on the toe which really caught my eye and for some reason made me smile. It’s a simple club, but the back and bottom have a futuristic, curvy look, which is definitely appealing. More than one time someone saw it in my hand and asked what it was. Being covid times, I didn’t let anyone handle it. I found the head to appear small compared to other wedges out on the market, although still a tiny bit bigger and bulkier than my Scor wedge. 

Sound & Feel (6 out of 10 points)

Describe how the wedges sound and feel

This is one area where I had issues with the Zipcore. I am a feel player. Some might call me a feel snob. If it doesn’t feel good, I don’t want to play it. Is it in my head? Maybe. But I’ve always been a feel player on distance and on the type of shot I want to play. A lot of times I don’t even look at the distance as I just want to feel the swing and make it happen. 

The zipcore has a dull feel and click for me, like hitting a hard boiled egg with a bat. Ball seems to explode off the face, but doesn’t really give me the excellent feel and feedback on looking for. I’ve said it many times in my reviews through the thread, the club doesn’t give me the feel I expect from a wedge. When I hit a good shot, it feels meh. When I hit a bad shot, it feels meh. There’s never really a point where I could consistently tell how a shot was going to turn out from the feel off the clubface and that was a turn off for me.  With my current wedge I can tell at impact where that ball is going, how far off or on it is, and what my next shot is going to look like. That’s the type of instant feedback I love. With the zipcore I had shots I thought were great that were off target or the distance wasn’t even close. I never really had a moment where I said, “Oh yeah, that’s going to be good”... because I really couldn’t tell. 

Basic Characteristics (17 out of 20 points)

I took the wedge out a bunch of different times. While it was difficult to get much in terms of on course video because of how busy the courses have been, I did grab some video around the greens and I’ll include it here. Not only does it allow you to see how I’m using the club around the green, but it allows you to hear the strikes and interaction with the ground. I also talk about how I use the club and what I expect and try to do around the green. 

A few notes from the videos and use of the clubs, especially around the greens. I couldn’t control the trajectory very well. Everything was always high. Very rarely could I get the ball to stay low and run and that was frustrating. On full shots, I couldn’t ever get the ball to go more than 90 yards, which is far shorter than my current 58* wedge. I also had issues with it going right for whatever reason. Maybe ground interaction and shape of head? I don’t know. But what I do know is that I need to be able to count on a distance for a club and I haven’t had that with the Zipcore. 

On-Course Performance (23 out of 30 points)

Putting the club to use on the course was fun, frustrating, and in the case of one 9 hole round of 28, miraculous. As I said before, I’m obviously trying to use my wedges to score. If I can hit greens with them or get up and down well, I’m going to be around par or better. And honestly, my long game struggles, which is why I have to rely on my wedges so much.  

So where did the wedge stand out for me?

Bunkers -- I have to say I was more than pleasantly surprised with this club in the bunkers. I could get it out easily. Trajectory was high, but overall, the ball did what I expected it to do, and most importantly, there wasn’t 1 time that I can remember where I left it in the bunker for my next shot, or sent it flying across the green with a thin shot.  

Rough 50-80 yards -- Playing this wedge on partial shots out of the rough was a very strong spot for this wedge. While the feel wasn’t great in telling me anything, I feel like I always ended up on the green, and very close to the pin. When I shot my miraculous 28 during a league match, I hit this thing 4 times out of the rough into a green and they were all within 8 feet. For some reason the rough and the shape of this club work together well. 

Where didn’t it stand out for me?

Chipping -- I’ve mentioned it in my other posts, but I struggled mightily chipping around the greens with this club. Especially with tight lies, my chipping was subpar. Those I usually play with that know my normal skill level on chips from 10-30 yards, mentioned how much I struggled and that is obviously the exact opposite of what I’m trying to do. I don’t know if it’s the different head shape or size, but for whatever reason it was a BIG weakness in the club for me. 

Distance -- I couldn’t get this club to the 105 yard mark that I’m used to with my current wedge. I don’t know if it’s the increased spin Cleveland mentions in their marketing, but the ball was just not flying for me. Not out of the rough. Not out of the fairway. It just wasn’t there for me whatsoever. 

I think overall, while I did enjoy the club out of the rough and bunkers, I struggled out of most tight lies, where I usually shine. I couldn’t get comfortable with the head shape or size. I don’t know if the ‘LOW’ bounce would have helped more. That’d certainly be interesting to compare though. 

Miscellaneous (10 out of 10 points)

I think in this section, I want to just mention how good the club looked and felt in my hands. I can’t get over how good the overall shape and weighting was. I really enjoyed the look of the face, and that fact that the milling on the toe kept the club from glaring in my face like my current wedges tend to do on sunny days. That’s an A+ for me and Cleveland really did a fantastic job in that aspect.

Play it or Trade it? (15  out of 20 points)

I’m really struggling with what to do with this wedge. The fact that I’m struggling so much around the greens with it is a big factor in me wanting to throw it in my ‘extras’ bag and let it go. But the performance, especially out of the rough, in almost any lie, is a strong suit. It’s great to have confidence on a ball 40 yards out, sitting down in the rough, that I can go up and be confident a smooth swing will easily pop this ball up and somewhere near my target. That’s a POWERFUL thing to have that type of confidence in those situations. Can be the difference between a par and a double bogey or more. I used the club at least 6 times in my round of 28 and I really did hit some good shots with it through all the rounds and practice I used it for. But that doubt when it comes to chipping and pitching, is strong and I’m not sure if I should continue to use it and fight through it, or throw in the towel. I’m not very good at throwing in the towel as I tend to keep my clubs for years, not months or days. 

So it’s honestly a big question mark of what I will end up doing with it. The season is winding down so I’ll probably continue to play it and then decide what to do in the off season. My Scor wedges are in need of replacement and it’d be great to find something, but I’m not 100% confident this would be that replacement. But because of the great aspects of the club, I’m not sold on kicking it to the curb either. 

Conclusion
The Zipcore wedge is supposed to give you more spin, distance and forgiveness. Obviously those are marketing terms we hear far too often with most wedges that hit the market. I will give it to Cleveland that the forgiveness is probably something they did well with this wedge. In my experience the distance is not. And I have never been one to spin the ball much with any previous wedges or irons and I have to say that didn’t change for me with the Zipcore. I thing the wedge and idea has promise. But for someone like me that likes a smaller head, less bounce, and the ability to work the ball with different trajectories, even with a 58* wedge, I’m not sure that it’s something that has a spot in the bag long term. 

Final Score: (80 out of 100 points) 

20200809_204549(1).jpg

20200813_104400.jpg

20200813_104409(2).jpg

20201004_203321.jpg

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

October 4th, 2020

Cleveland Golf ZipCore Wedge 58* Mid Bounce Official MGS Forum Review by BrownBearGolf

Have you ever had an eagerly anticipated and brand-new relationship?  Whether it be professional, romantic, friendly, or competitive you may have been chomping at the bit when you first started it.  For example, I had a boss whom was to retire and I just couldn’t wait for the new boss.  I didn’t go dance in the streets with my colleagues but I was excited.  The news of an easier day at work, the potential for a leader whom might make my job easier or teach me something new and valuable was a welcome thought. To have someone other than the micromanaging zealot with the personality of an iron fisted czar had to be grand.  Had to be.  Right? 

The new boss was younger than the literal and figuratively old boss and came from a field I respected. They were just starting their career in education administration.  I was told that the new person would bring new methodologies to our practice of education and most importantly would bring a positive sense of community if not familial culture to our campus.  Sounds worthy of welcome regard.  Right?

After all that anticipation and all that hype and all the earnest eagerness… I can honestly say that they were the worst supervisor I’ve ever had.  Anticipation and Eagerness had quickly corrupted into anxiety and resentment. Almost three years went by in agonizingly slow motion with speed bumps in abundance. Yet, like the possibility for redemption after a horrid front nine we were told the administrator was not to have their contract renewed.  Hell yeah!

When told I was selected to test the Celeveland ZipCore wedge I felt full of giddy anticipation and Christmas in July boyhood glee when I received my wedge on the front doorstep.  Thank you, MyGolfSpy!! Thank you, Cleveland Golf. 

image.gif.8fd46d1aea538f8f692f786aab0d2bdd.gif

C0B1D324-5E87-4060-B409-978290A67AF7.png.157bf6e2d4cb24ee23c9d5575dc1a13a.png

Oohs and aahs and moaning over how beautiful the wedge looks can be heard and seen in the coming video. Similar to the above-mentioned story I couldn’t wait to start building this relationship full of promise. I was told by Cleveland that this wedge would add feel, bring exacting control, and feature durability while the headliner of new tech would impart amazing amounts of spin in a newly engineered wedge design that could change the wedge manufacturing game. 

75A7D6B7-7018-4DC6-9DF0-921232AA0A00.png.ac91b0bdd9c38ced8bb576776fe88530.png

Two months later and here we are!   While not a catastrophic failure of epic proportions, will I be telling a story of love at first sight?  Or will that lust be tempered with time and experience?  Expectations can sometimes be the foundations to resentments and my expectations were quite high.  So, how do I feel now?  Will I pass this wedge on to another MGS member after an experiment that taught me to find another new wedge or keep my current gamer?  Will I love this wedge taking in all the endearing if not different qualities than my current gamer?  Let’s dive in and find out.  Oh, and please don’t expect a Pulitzer prize winning piece here.  You’ll just, for sure, be let down. 

Let me try and objectively explain my current game.  I started this project at a 9.5 USGA handicap.  Two months later and presently I’m an 8.8.  Boom!  There you go.  Was it the wedge?  Or was it the scrutiny of the short game?  Who knows?  But I’m going to say some of the credit does in fact go to the wedge and not perhaps for reasons you may theorize.

I have a strong swing speed and quick tempo.  I’m not smooth and I’m not out of my shoes when swinging.  I’m Goldilocks. I think.  I have a relatively steep down swing and could be considered a digger. I’ve been called worse. Obviously. I digress.  See my swing in action in various environments such as the launch monitor and courses in the upcoming video.  I have a tendency to be a mid-trajectory hitter with lots of backspin.

Strengths of my game are Driving. I hit it relatively far with an ARCCOS caddie average of 280 yards and hitting fairways 50% of the time. 

9AFA31CA-7142-4D17-AF83-5EB47CFFDE0A.png.8ffdb4f5afe570f7b6f7a716a91ebd79.png 

I hit my irons relatively normal distances with a 5 iron average of 196yds., 7 iron 178yds., 9iron 152yds., and this wedge at 58* 75-85 yards on full swings. I have tendency to draw my short irons such as 9 iron down to gap wedge at 45*. I do like to take aggressive angles with my Driver as my length allows for that and at times with my irons below 7.  My 100 yard club is my 54* Callaway MD4 wedge.

I currently play Callaway Mac Daddy 4 and I “fit” myself as I have a membership at a PGA Tour Store where I have unlimited launch monitor usage. I bought the current gamers approximately two and a half years ago. Competing against the MD4 were the Cleveland RTX 4 and the Vokey SM7 and the Mizuno S-18.

5415C561-48B5-4CE1-9387-193E15D2DC7D.png.9c60c16e2e30266e250a8b6b69a1f45f.png

My 58* wedge is my go to club for chipping and pitching. That’s why this ZipCore is being scrutinized so intensely.  I need a consistent club that I can confidently stop at pins from within not only 70-85 yards but also within 50 yards in and even from just off the fringe.   What I needed vs. what I wanted in this wedge are two distinctly different things.   What I needed was consistency in green side flight distances and roll distances.  What I wanted was a club that would feel soft.  Needing a club to do so many different yardages is tricky if not ignorant.  I have focused recently with all this testing trying to manage different back swing lengths and speeds.  Sometime less hinge and more torso rotation. Sometimes open stances and open faces.  It’s been fun and frustrating as well.  Alas, the process has helped and this wedge has proven to be quite the tool to learn with.

First Impressions

My first impressions were how gorgeous this wedge is.  The lines flowed without sharp angles or bright reflections.  A major complaint of my MD4 is the massive amounts of glare. At address the ZipCore has a tear drop shape that fits nicely behind the ball with a roundish leading edge heading up to the toe. One thing I am a huge fan is their milling on the toe. This larger milling than on the scoring area diffracts the light and minimizes glare exceptionally.  In sharp contrast is the telescope grade mirror shine of the toe of my MD4 which I hate!  This wedge has brushed Nickle or a “satin” look that is cleverly and minimally accented with shiny chrome. It truly has the luxurious look of a finely hand-crafted sculpture. The Font and black infill of the RTX and ZipCore are of perfect proportion and placement high on the toe.  I really enjoy the large numbers on the sole for easy visibility.  Not sure the “Mid” and “10” need to be there though. I preferred the dot system of past Cleveland wedges designating bounce.

471C970D-5194-41DD-B6BD-95FAC5691A9C.png.bc0376ca103d233c663e2db11ac1c56f.png

Interestingly the tech of this wedge is almost all invisible. Present day golf club design is about hiding the tech inside the club and less about showcasing the advancements.  There are no inserts, no visible welds between carbon steel and Tungsten. There are no screws functional or ornamental. We can’t see the “low density” material inside.  We can’t see any remnants of the heat treatment to increase durability.  The Rotex milling and laser etching are hard to see in contrast to the face of the recent TaylorMade Wedge faces which look like an excel spreadsheet.  And, I guess that was the goal here.  They claim game changing performance with the classic preferred look.  Well they got the look just right which leaves the following questions.  How does it spin?  How is it controlled?  Will it last longer? Does it provide effective feedback while remaining soft?

When I heard of the low-density material coupled with their marketing photos of this pinkish material in the hosel and heel I immediately considered it to be another “goo” such as in the Taylormade P790 and TwistFace drivers as well as the competitor Cobra and PXG irons.  I thought it would make the club face a bit more in flexible in the attempts of  making the club feel more like a forged wedge with the durability of a cast.  And, as I found out, something in this wedge does make it feel soft.  Can there be a too soft?  How can a club be soft and have a more durable face?  Seems like an oxymoron. I chose this 58* to be compared directly with my current gamer which is a 58 degree in the S grind.  I went with “Mid” grind here thinking it most closely resembled the S grind with 10* bounce.  I think offering three bounce/grinds is a solid game plan as so many consumers are confused by the loft offerings of Vokey and Callaway.

I play in and around Phoenix AZ.  I played classic parkland courses as well as true target and modern desert golf courses with forced carries and rocky, firm, and hard dirt in the off fairway areas.  I tested this wedge at courses ranging from Phoenix municipal courses that were dry and thin.  I took it to ultra-premium courses where the turf was sweet and manicured perfectly such as Troon North Monument Course, Quintero, and Verrado Founder’s Course. These were all middle of summer rounds. The heat during these two months ranged from 100-116 degrees. Conditions during these months mean greens and fairways being faster and sand traps dry and thin.  The heat does have an effect on the ball making it fly, seemingly, farther and certainly rolling farther.

87AD4D05-F94A-44DF-9549-B8513181DE67.png.f9f128081ab27d2cbc13cd6ed91087d4.png

34D6F7CF-875A-4F6E-97DF-21C9A81E3C18_1_105_c.jpeg.b5640416cfb67ee4526b308933743dd5.jpeg 

The total number of rounds I played was lucky 13 in two months. I also spent an hour each in three different Foresight GC2 launch monitor sessions comparing the ZipCore to new offerings such as the Vokey SM8 and directly against my Callaway MacDaddy 4.  In addition, I spent about 30-45 minutes in practice sessions outside at my local course practice area several times.  Don’t hate.  I’m a teacher. I have summers off. Golf is cheap in the summer. Golf is hot in the desert in the summer. Go hard and hot or not at all. Oh boy… All of the above mentioned are shown in my video review to come in the next 24-48 hours of this posting on Oct. 4th

What I found in launch monitor sessions was that this wedge does not provide any more spin compared to my two and a half year old MD4 which has worn down grooves.  In fact it has less spin.  Although the MD4 has the raised inverted grooves which may counter the wear overall.

Average Metrics ZipCore:

Ball speed: 69.3mph  Carry=78yds  Launch Angle=33.4*  Descent=49.3* Backspin 10,985rpm

Peak Height: 20 yards

Average Metrics Callaway MD4:

Ball speed: 69.3mph  Carry=78yds  Launch Angle=33.7*  Descent=49.* Backspin 11,369rpm

Peak Height: 19 yards

As you can see, the metrics are pretty damn close.  So much so that I would argue the differences are negligible.  Below I get a little more detailed with what I think the strengths and weaknesses of this wedge are.

2300E3E6-F982-4B71-8867-218755781019_1_105_c.jpeg.49c0382046b9fb182420c2aede087e7a.jpeg

B566DC88-A02E-408B-8C03-1747A6AE709E_1_105_c.jpeg.55af460fd8fc060c0e01d9a8381a3f4a.jpeg

Grading:

Looks (10 out of 10 points) 

As mentioned in detail earlier in the report I think this wedge looks amazing.  It is classic with modern touches like the satin finish and the fonts size and style. The extra milling on the toe reduces glare and the leading edge at address sits nicely behind the ball.  The scoring lines vertically and grooves horizontally frame the ball nicely when contrasted with the milled toe.  People have asked when they’ve seen it what it is and mentioned how nice it looks.

Sound & Feel (6 out of 10 points)

I don't know if I like the softer sound and feel of the ZipCore compared to the abrasive and almost offensive MD4.  The soft feeling of the ZipCore leads to less feedback, however.  After hitting full shots I feel that perhaps the shaft may have something to do with the lack of feedback.  Without question the head of this club feels softer than the head of the MD4. It is certainly quieter. The MD4 has a very hard and very pronounced click on the ball that I could hear and it annoyed me for the first year of playing the club and that is with Urethane Srixon Z-Star XV balls. The first few swings felt lighter than the MD4.  I wonder if the core material makes it feel that way.  Taking away metal from the hosel, heel, and sole no matter where they repositioned the metal mass has to have some effect on feel.

Initially the sound and feel were so quiet and so muted compared to the MD4 I was off put by it.  I mentioned several times in the thread this feeling.  I just didn’t have much feedback and I suppose I had gotten used to the harder and rougher feel of the MD4s.  Early on in testing I focused on green side chipping and pitching and there just wasn’t the feedback I needed.  I attributed that to it being new and looking and sounding so different that it was in my head.  But the numbness and muted sound did affect my play as I didn’t know how hard to hit the ball in short finesse shots.  Certainly the sound and feel did affect my performance early on in testing.  In the last three weeks however I am coming around to its feel.  The sound is still so muted I don’t know what the ball will do but I am getting a bit more sensitive to the feel and face impact.  On full swings it feels soft as well but I can tell quickly with the trajectory how the ball came out.  However, I would prefer sound and feel feedback prior to the visual. I’m still confused about feel and sound despite how off put I was early on by how numb and muted it was/is. 
Basic Characteristics (18 out of 20 points)

Something good that has come of using this wedge is the confidence I have when hitting between 75-85 yards.  I swing and it goes that distance.  Seemingly it is very consistent.  Now, I don’t exactly know if I hit it just right due to the lack of feedback but the net result is where I want it to be.  The trajectory for me is medium high.  20 yards peak average height is fine for me as here in the desert I don’t typically have to hit over trees higher than 20 yards.  I must say that while the feedback is muted it seems to be more consistently forgiving than my MD4.  Is that the tradeoff?  Forgiveness over feel like with irons?  I feel confident that if it is a straight line I can get the ball to the green within smaller circle of dispersion. And I’m coming around to the fact that I might prefer forgiveness and consistently hitting that target than I do feel.  With 58* I’m not really looking to control the shape of the ball flight.  Straight, high, and at the number I want is great and so far, this club is providing that for me.

The Mid bounce at 10* is the same as my MD4.  However, the V-grind of the ZipCore is helping me stay square at impact and therefore on line in flight to the target. I like that.

I've improved my G.I.R. Note for Picture below: I had to label this club as a 60* wedge in ARCCOS as not to delete my 2 years of data with my gamer 58*.

A65F46F2-FF5D-41F3-8298-4C75E4F8779C.jpeg.ff5367b3cef7bbc22bf50f5c32d971ae.jpeg
C6261E5A-736F-47CE-BB08-2600F4B1D8C7.png.025c26f3f74b687260dae825d182e3c9.png

On-Course Performance (25.5 out of 30 points)           

The club works from the fairway, rough, and fringe.  Where it seems to struggle is the sand.  The V-grind doesn’t seem to open as much as my S grind on the MD4.  It looks like it needs more heel relief.  However, this isn’t the end of the world.  I could possibly get a 61* sand wedge.  I’m looking to get a new set of irons and if so, I may need a new set of wedges for gapping purposes and with loft jacking it could be a possibility.  I like the grind.  It helps me in full shots and keeping the face square in less than full shots like ¾ or ½ shots. This club seems to be strongest for me in full swings.  It has performed as most new clubs do for me.  It shows great promise and is ultimately just going to take a little time for me to get settled.  I had played Cleveland wedges for 18 years prior to the MD4.  The quality of the club overall is not a surprise to me in any way.  I’ve always had a strong regard for Cleveland golf from back when I played their TA3 Form Forged Irons and David Toms and Vijay Singh were their players.

If I had to change one thing absolutely it would be the Spinner shaft.

I like the shape and the look from address and wouldn’t mess with those at all.  If something is to change it may be the metal they use or a composition change in their “core” material to add back some feedback feel.  Too soft may be the problem.  In the end I believe the club made me a better putter. I do feel I got in my target circle more often and that the circle got smaller therefore making easier putts more frequent.

One thing to recall....according to launch monitor the ZipCore does not spin more than my two and a half year old Callaway MD4.  In actual playing conditions I found that to be true also.  The following pictures are of the results of two full swing shots approximately 80 yards out on the same day at the same course, albeit different holes.  Look at the disparity between the two!

A718D455-54A2-481D-BA6E-02FE4994E711_1_105_c.jpeg.5c0d2d170e3a9da6d74ee6ab7abadbaf.jpeg

E37BC56D-5389-4294-80A1-550BC9ECB625_1_105_c.jpeg.37a4233a77c70301bef8f6797605c8ad.jpeg

Miscellaneous (7 out of 10 points)

The little things matter, and in this case  while I was fortunate to be selected, I was sent a stock club.  Something that has to change immediately is the shaft, yet I didn’t change it because I wanted to test it as is sold. It feels whippy and adds to the lack of feedback.  I don’t feel it brings any extra spin and therefore no tradeoff exists.  It’s numb and didn’t provide any performance benefits. 

One thing I did change was grip.  I’m not a Golf Pride guy.  I’m a Winn Grips guy and having this club with a Winn grip mid size is what I needed and had installed. I’ll probably have the shaft changed out as well. Not sure to what. At time of the start of this review there were no other finishes. I prefer a gunmetal finish.  The new black offering looks pretty sweet!  The raw finish doesn’t look as luxurious or clean.  It was shipped very fast and in a typical triangular box for a single club.  Their customizable options don’t look as clean or have as many options as the TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 offerings.

Play it or Trade it? (18 out of 20 points)

I have to keep it.  My overall game and short game got better with it in this short two months. I’m going to change shafts and then I think I’ll be closer to absolute commitment.  If that doesn’t bring me better feedback and I find I just can’t be that numb regardless of the results I’ll send out to another MGS member.

Conclusion

The expectations are high. Cleveland has themselves and their marketing department to thank for that.  This club, I have found, is much like a new boss.  I don’t necessarily have to like the boss to benefit from their style and substance. Despite the fact that the new boss doesn’t check off everything on my “perfect boss” list doesn’t mean they are a bad boss.  If I am getting better at my job, have no resentments at the end of the day, and can sleep at night eager to go back to work the next day then I have to take the overall win and like this boss.

The Cleveland ZipCore wedge looks great and has great results with  forgiving and accurate performance.  It doesn’t sound right but it’s not offensive.  It doesn’t feel right but it’s not punishing.  This wedge works and over time with more work and with some changes in the shaft it might just end up being the perfect wedge.  I’ve gotten better with this club.  I suspect others will as well.  It’s not a “game improvement” wedge but it did that for me and seemingly for other testers as well.  The Vokey and new Callaway Jaws play more like a true blade iron giving lots of feedback when you miss the dime spot more often.  Sometimes, ignorance truly is bliss.  So if I can’t feel how flush I hit it, the green surely will when the ball lands in the target circle.  In the end, I’m happy I tried it and am eagerly anticipating a fruitful relationship.  I’ve gotten better because I’m more confident with what the end result will be.  That’s a great feeling.  A feeling that the wedge provides me.

Final Score: (84.5 out of 100 points)

Thank you, again, to My Golf Spy and to Cleveland Golf and to the other testers whom helped me as this was my first review for MGS.  Well done everyone!  

6EA36409-9574-4FE8-A10E-5CB5238AB279.png

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero 9degree. Hosel set to -1degree/Nuetral. Aftermarket 10gram front weight and 6.5 gram sliding weight set to fade. Mitsubishi  Tensei AV Blue Stiff 67 “Tipped” half inch

Diablo 5 Wood Nuetral Stock shaft

:taylormade-small: M3 3 Hybrid Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Weight set to fade

:mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-GW KBS C Taper Stiff 1/2 inch longer 

:callaway-small: Mac Daddy 4 54, 58

:odyssey-small: Works Tank Cruiser 7              40 Grams in head and counterbalanced 30 grams inside Super Stroke Fatso Grip

:srixon-small: Z-Star

I will also be testing the 54 mid. I choose the 54 because it lines up with my current set. I play a 50, 54, 58 of Honma TW-W. I am very varied with how I use my wedges, i very infrequently hit them full but hit lots of half and 3/4 swings. I have never perfected the bounce-bounce-stop so i am super excited to see if Cleveland has really come through with the Zip!

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

56 minutes ago, mr.hicksta said:

Well it looks like my RTX ZipCore 60 Full will be here today or tomorrow (hooray for fast shipping from Huntington Beach to San Diego) and I'm really excited about testing Cleveland's latest wedge offering. I recently switched back to the RTX 4s and was quickly reminded just how good those wedges are. If what I've read and watched is true, I expect the ZipCore to build on what is already a PHENOMENAL wedge in the RTX 4. Initially I plan on doing a side by side comparison of my two 60s, which will be followed by a variety of range/practice area and course testing. I use my 60 exclusively from about 60 yards and in, never full swing. The one difference I'm particularly interested in is the fact the ZipCore 60 Full has 3* more bounce than it's RTX counterpart. All I know is I am hyped about getting some ZipCore goodness in my hands and I can't wait to share my thoughts with MGS!

Here are two shots from last weekend with my RTX 4 50°. I may need to switch golf balls with the ZipCore 😂.

6BB5AB9C-534B-4971-93A0-C2F16956E00D.jpeg

58CAD60D-74C0-45D2-83AF-BDA9A44F5084.jpeg

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

WHOA!  Those will ZIP all the way back to where you hit them if your not careful.  🙂

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

26 minutes ago, tchat07 said:

What distance was that from?

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Top shot was from 118, bottom shot was from 113. 

:cobra-small: LTDx Black 10.5º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 6F4
:cobra-small: LTDx 3W 15º | UST LIN-Q M40X TSPX Blue 7F4
:ping-small: G425 3H 19º | UST Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F4
:srixon-small: Z785 4-PW | UST Recoil 125 Proto F4
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore Tour Rack 50
º Mid, 54º Mid, 60º Mid | UST Recoil Wedge Proto F4
:EVNROLL: ER5BV | BGT Stability Tour

:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

1 hour ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

WHOA!  Those will ZIP all the way back to where you hit them if your not careful.  🙂

I can hit a lob shot that stops. But I don't know how to make my golf ball roll back after it hits a green. Any tips on how I learn that skill?

PXG 0811 XF driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4, 6 - 9 irons

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:bettinardi-1: Armlock putter or  :edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

17 minutes ago, artful_golfer said:

I can hit a lob shot that stops. But I don't know how to make my golf ball roll back after it hits a green. Any tips on how I learn that skill?

Not from me.

Maybe hit onto a sloped green and hit it on the slope so it rolls back down the hill?  😁

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I will be testing the 58* Mid bounce Zipcore. As someone who typically does not get a ball to stop quickly, this gives me a chance to put it through it paces up against another top notch wedge, the King Black from Cobra. Granted the Cobra has a few miles on it but it is far from retirement age. But then again maybe not we will see. 

Dave-

Follow me on twitter @GolfCrazyWA and on Instagram @GolfcrazyWA

WITB:

Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag 

Titleist TSR3 Hzrdus Black 65g shaft

Cobra F8+ 3wd Hzrdus Red 65g shaft

Cobra 3 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra 4 hybrid Rogue Pro 75g Shaft

Cobra F8 irons 5-GW KBS tour 90 stiff shafts

Cobra King Black Wedge 54* 

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Wedge 58*

Snake Eyes Viper Putter.

Ball: Taylormade TP-5X

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

Great starts, everyone! I love how each of you chose your wedge for different reasons and it'll be interesting to see how they work for each of you. The ZipCore is high on my list of wedges when I finally pull the trigger on a new set. 

What are you looking for?  Anything specific you would like us to look for?

2 minutes ago, Shankster said:

For me, versatility around the green is something I look for. I like knowing I can open it up and play either a high, soft lob or a low spinny shot. 

17 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I am just curious is it really going to increase spin and how much? Also if that is the case how effective is it in the wet conditions

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

I am honored to be chosen to test the new Cleveland RTX ZipCore wedge. The ZipCore wedges were already high on my list of clubs I wanted to try based on some early rumblings I have been hearing from some of the Cleveland reps.

I will be testing the 50* Mid bounce model, I chose the 50* wedge because it’s one of the most used clubs in my bag.

I’m a Dave Pelz “Short game bible” disciple so I use my wedges with many different swings for different distances and trajectories. Full swing it’s my 100-110 yard club, 3/4 it’s my 80-85 yard club and 1/2 swing produces a low checking 50 yard shot.

I have a ton of confidence in those shots and if I’m out of position or playing a long par 5 I look to layup to a distance that puts my 50* wedge in my hand.

My current gamer is a satin King Cobra wedge, it’s one of my favorite clubs but is a couple of seasons old and ready to retire.

I’ll compare the 2 side by side comparing sound, feel, distance and stopping power.
I may also add a 54* ZipCore wedge to my bag as well and I’ll test it along side of my 54* Cobra wedge.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

For me, versatility around the green is something I look for. I like knowing I can open it up and play either a high, soft lob or a low spinny shot. 

Not sure I’ll be of much help with getting the 46° wedge.  But I have been using my PW for the 65-100 yard knock down’s if need be.  And it sees some chipping, and light pitching work. 

Probably going to order the 52 and 58 as long as the shape of the 46 fits my eye. I was contemplating going 46, 50, 54, 58, 62... don’t think I have the need or the skill for the many wedges.  I am using the PW(47), 52, 58 set up right now and it is working rather well. Just have to get more creative with the 52.

54 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

I am just curious is it really going to increase spin and how much? Also if that is the case how effective is it in the wet conditions

Like you mentioned in the initial thread... do we really need more spin?  Well according to Cleveland staffer Graham McDowell we do.  Sometimes I think I need less... but maybe I just need more skill.  I did see an uptick in spin from the B-Stones to the PING’s, but that was just fresh grooves vs sand blasted grooves.

PING’s are fairly new and should compare well, even being a CB wedge... although I will not have a direct comparison with the PING 46, they didn’t have any when I bought the 52 and 58.

15 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Like you mentioned in the initial thread... do we really need more spin?  Well according to Cleveland staffer Graham McDowell we do.  Sometimes I think I need less... but maybe I just need more skill.  I did see an uptick in spin from the B-Stones to the PING’s, but that was just fresh grooves vs sand blasted grooves.

PING’s are fairly new and should compare well, even being a CB wedge... although I will not have a direct comparison with the PING 46, they didn’t have any when I bought the 52 and 58.

I think it’s interesting because could a “spin club” be your specialty club? I had a Mizuno with a spinner shaft and I was getting 5 digit spin ratings (that’s not a typo) not that anyone needs that kind of spin but nonetheless a little extra zip never hurt and for those that need the control this could be a really good club

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!