Columbia Point GC - Richland, WA Home course for Kenny B

(0 reviews)
Home Course

CP.jpg.86b115b20cde962c5309fb97f09d27c2.jpg

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

16 hours ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

Looks amazing!  I love the rolling fairways.

Although the fairways have some undulations in them, what you see as "rolling fairways" is rough and are very penal grassy mounds, some 10 feet high, that separate fairways.  Land there and you could have a "ball above/below your feet" and an "uphill/downhill lie".  Players not used to hitting from these lies usually don't play well.

It is a muni, but the management firm for the city does a pretty good job on course maintenance.  

Share this comment

I found 2 aerial photos of my course circa 1980's.  The course was still a muni, but it was an 18-hole par 66 course called Sham-Na-Pum.  It also had a driving range and a 9-hole par 3 course.  In the first pic you can see the parking lot and clubhouse at the far left and the city sewage treatment plant next to the course in the bottom right corner.  The street next to the course, and the "Rose Bowl" as the treatment plant was called, is the main street into town.  The second pic shows the south end of the course next to I-182.

176689651_CPOverhead1.thumb.jpg.e9cd13f160793354169af9e04924a9a1.jpg

229860271_CPOverhead2.jpg.b6efde78d98e1016c36df7b01d141dc2.jpg

The course was torn up in 1996-1997, the sewage treatment plant was moved to the other side of the freeway, and Columbia Point was developed:   

"Hey, I bet they'd love a great shopping mall right here... condos over there... plenty of parking!"

This is what it looked like about 15 years ago.  Basically, all of the brown, vacant land is now shopping center, condos, hotels, and restaurants.  The good thing is that other than a few condos on the #3 and #4 tee boxes and office buildings on #13 there are no buildings along the fairways.

ColumbiaPointAerialLR.jpg.91e33a4d985aa607131313f83b8abc3e.jpg

Share this comment