TESTERS WANTED! ×

Testers Announced: Follow Forum Thread: Titleist Blind Ball Test

Testers
Equipment Type: Balls
Vendor: Titleist

Congratulate the following testers:

@Shankster @pooley7 @Jtom2012 @RTurcott @gregh729 @Gman24 @TCUFrog @wolfpacker92 @fozcycle @griecot313 @Mackdaddy9 @Tom D. @Peejer @Larryw @greggarner @scooterhd2 @twyatt700 @Clayton @BMart519 @myherobobhope @ZMendle10 @PingMD702 @GaDawg @McFly

This test will be a significantly different and there will NOT be much follow up or final review since...well...the testers won't know what product they are reviewing. However, all comments and questions are welcome for the testers to answer as best they can!

Follow testers in thread linked below:

testerswanted_titleistprototype_ftr-alt.jpg

This test will be conducted by Titleist and their partners, however we are helping them find the right amount of testers - yes, you read that right, all 24 of them!!

You will receive and be evaluating two different balls from Titleist (1-doz of each variety) and providing feedback directly to them about the performance of each ball. While this is not a development ball, you will be shipped a ball from their portfolio to evaluate its performance to your game...which could feed into future balls 😉

2 Comments

Would love to be included in the test. As an older player(67) with a 2.5hcp, I might represent a smaller part of the targeted golf community but have been playing for years and feel like I am in touch with equipment trends. Think I could give an experienced, honest and insightful review of the 2 balls included in the blind test.  

11 hours ago, danpt1up said:

Would love to be included in the test. As an older player(67) with a 2.5hcp, I might represent a smaller part of the targeted golf community but have been playing for years and feel like I am in touch with equipment trends. Think I could give an experienced, honest and insightful review of the 2 balls included in the blind test.  

Unfortunately this test is from last year and testers have been announced as well as reviews completed!

Feel free to do your own unofficial review or read the ones that have already been done as well as check out the forum every so often for other new opportunities! 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

219 Comments

Hi All,

Here is my first post regarding the Titleist Ball Test.

I took the six balls (3 #3s and 3 #4s) out for testing and here are my initial thoughts.

Greenside Chipping:  Both balls are very soft.  I like the feel.  While I was on the course, I really felt confident and had good results with both balls.  The #3 ball seemed to have a little more "check" to it.

On Course: 40-120 yd Wedges:  Both balls are very soft.  They both checked nicely, it seemed like the #3 ball checked up a tad tighter (within 1 foot) where the #4 was within 1-2 ft.  My sample size is too small to have a definitive result.  Lower shots had a nice pitch and run, I felt like well struck balls could be controlled nicely.

Longer Iron shots (170-210).  They both are still soft feeling, especially when well struck.  The #3 ball seemed to have a little higher flight and definitely checked up and spun back.  The #4 had a little more carry.  Neither ball seemed to have as much shape as a ProV1 would normally have for me, but that could change the next time I am out.  I need more shots to compare distance to ProV1 and Snell Black.

I didn't hit anything longer than 210, as I didn't want to risk losing anything until I have the opportunity to better evaluate.  I have to stress that this was a small sample size on a hot, humid Virginia day.  Also, I hit the #3 first each time on this round.  I will switch to the #4 first next outing.  I am keeping full notes and will create a full report as soon as I am able to get ample shots at each distance.  

Im serious as to the "check up" I'm new here so are referring to the backspin or"stopping power"? Really looking for a distance ball that I can get good backspin on... especially with 56 and 60 wedges... also would be interested in the "pop" off the club during punch shots... Unfortunately in my game and where I play, recovery from the woods is VERY important... I like the feel rated around 80-100 compression... curious how these would rate!

5 hours ago, Superjoemofo said:

Im serious as to the "check up" I'm new here so are referring to the backspin or"stopping power"? Really looking for a distance ball that I can get good backspin on... especially with 56 and 60 wedges... also would be interested in the "pop" off the club during punch shots... Unfortunately in my game and where I play, recovery from the woods is VERY important... I like the feel rated around 80-100 compression... curious how these would rate!

I define check up on a chip as it lands, takes a forward bounce or two and stops in a predictable manner.  On longer shots, it is all about landing and staying within a foot or so of landing location (consistency is the key).  Of course, this also has to take into account the ability to control the spin so the ball doesn't spin back too much.  With the #3 ball, I was able to stop a 188 yard shot within 1 foot.  On my home course (very receptive bent greens), that is my desired outcome.  I can't wait to try these on some very firm championship bermuda greens.

On 7/19/2021 at 4:34 PM, Gman24 said:

Hi All,

Here is my first post regarding the Titleist Ball Test.

I took the six balls (3 #3s and 3 #4s) out for testing and here are my initial thoughts.

Greenside Chipping:  Both balls are very soft.  I like the feel.  While I was on the course, I really felt confident and had good results with both balls.  The #3 ball seemed to have a little more "check" to it.

On Course: 40-120 yd Wedges:  Both balls are very soft.  They both checked nicely, it seemed like the #3 ball checked up a tad tighter (within 1 foot) where the #4 was within 1-2 ft.  My sample size is too small to have a definitive result.  Lower shots had a nice pitch and run, I felt like well struck balls could be controlled nicely.

Longer Iron shots (170-210).  They both are still soft feeling, especially when well struck.  The #3 ball seemed to have a little higher flight and definitely checked up and spun back.  The #4 had a little more carry.  Neither ball seemed to have as much shape as a ProV1 would normally have for me, but that could change the next time I am out.  I need more shots to compare distance to ProV1 and Snell Black.

I didn't hit anything longer than 210, as I didn't want to risk losing anything until I have the opportunity to better evaluate.  I have to stress that this was a small sample size on a hot, humid Virginia day.  Also, I hit the #3 first each time on this round.  I will switch to the #4 first next outing.  I am keeping full notes and will create a full report as soon as I am able to get ample shots at each distance.  

Do you think that the #3 ball is a Pro V1 and the #4 is a Pro V1X?  

Started my testing.  Hit my normal ball (Maxfli Tour) and Pro-v1x and all #3 and #4 balls at each testing station. Have completed putting, chips (<20 yds.), wedges (60 yds.), mid- irons (130 yds.),  hybrid (180 yds.) and driving. Only thing left for me is playing a few rounds with each ball and trying not to lose them before rounds are complete. Then it is to cut one of each open for evaluation.

It is possible that not everyone got the same balls. Being marked #3 and #4 does not necessarily mean that all #3's are alike. Probably are but not a guarantee - so don't let someone's review bias your own observations. Following are my observations and some are very subjective.

General:

I hit 6 to 8 shots with each type ball at each testing station. Into the wind on one hole and downwind on another hole. Greens relatively receptive since we have been getting rain this summer - but not overly wet. I rejected obvious mishit shots. Oddly there did not seem to be a lot of them. Maybe there is something to this "concentration helps" I keep reading about.

Both balls are relative soft feeling so think they are soft/thin covers. Probably urethane or some equivalent. Sound dropping on concrete from waist high - the #3 sounds more like Pro-V1x where the #4  sounds more like my Maxfli (and Pro-v1) - slightly lower pitch sound. (Yes, I do some very scientific testing).

Both balls play very close for me. I like them both and could use either one on a regular basis without much change. If I had to choose it would be #4 over #3 but that is probably due to it seeming closer to my Maxfli - although only slightly.

Putting:

Ball #3 is definitely more firm to me than #4. Sounds more of a click off the putter and all clubs. Putts to me exactly like the Pro-v1x where the #4 putts closer to my Maxfli in sound. Both roll straight but seem not to find the hole often enough - although at about the same rate as my Maxfli - and almost every other ball I have used.☺️

Chipping:

#3 seems to have a little more runout than #4 (about 5% on a 70%carry/30% runout chip) . But this is not consistent with my feeling of more spin off the Driver. So sample size may be too small at this point or tester error. Ball #4 equivalent to the Maxfli  to me the Pro-v1x having just a touch more spin when all things are equal - and #3 having slightly less spin.

Wedge: (52 degree - 80% shot)

I am not a high spin wedge player but expect my ball to stop close to landing spot given neutral conditions. Both balls did that on a consistent basis. Into the wind they were usually 0 to -1 ft. Downwind they were usually 1 to 3 ft. So excellent as far as I could tell. Again, at this point it seemed that #3 was a little more dispersed from 0 than #4.

Mid-iron: (for me that is 8 iron at 130 yds.)

Nothing new showed up here. Height/distance and spin were all normal and consistent with my Maxfli and the Pro-V1x

If I had to nit-pic - the #3 ball flew a little higher than the #4 and runout a little more - but not a large amount so sample size may be the influence.

Hybrid:

Not much to see here. Distance and flight was normal. No wild spinning shots or abnormal feel coming off the club.

Driver: (tour edge C721, ~ 85 club head speed)

Distance on both balls very close to my Maxfli and the Pro-v1x. (+- 4 yds.)

Ball #3 seems to have more spin than #4. Although I did not see a noticeably higher launch but it was a small number of test shots (both into wind and down wind).

Launch angle was what was expected. I was able to hit both low and high drives with both balls and saw little differences with my Maxfli (which plays like the Pro-v1 for me) where the Pro-v1x does spin more than the Maxfli and both of these balls for me.

Playing rounds will highlight many of these functions more clearly. If my hip holds up and the balls reject hikes in the woods then I plan on playing rounds this week.

On 7/21/2021 at 9:58 AM, goaliewales14 said:

Do you think that the #3 ball is a Pro V1 and the #4 is a Pro V1X?  

They are both noticeably softer the the ProV1 and 1x.  I will take them back out for a spin next week for more data collection.  🙂

Well, after playing a couple of rounds (where I played a one-man shamble) I am going to wrap up my thoughts on the two balls since any further analysis will probably be just me talking myself into things that might not hold up over time.

I have changed my mind on which of the two balls I would most prefer. The #3 wins out slightly over the #4. They are so close in performance for me and my swing speed that either would work fine.

I feel that #3 is more firm, launches lower and has less spin. Ball #4 really showed a much higher launch during the rounds especially in today's 14 mph wind. I guess that is due to more spin (could be core or dimple design) but not an expert on all that stuff so leave it for everyone to decipher.

Distances are about the same off driver and irons with #3 possibly a couple of yards longer, and #4 always stops quicker for me on all distance shots into the green. The extra roll out on #3 is very small and is still hop/stop enough for me. In fact I actually had one #3 shot that sucked back 7'. Albeit on a 5 degree slope directly behind the pin - but hey, if I stood there and dropped a ball from the waist it only rolled about 4' toward the pin so I felt good about that.

After two rounds the durability looks fine to me. I will continue playing the balls as long as they let me find them and if major wear shows up will post that info.

Have really enjoyed doing the testing and looking forward to seeing everyone else's analysis.

Nice breakdown, I appreciate the honesty... For all we know these COULD be the same balls!!! Like the honest, on the course feedback!

5 hours ago, Larryw said:

Well, after playing a couple of rounds (where I played a one-man shamble) I am going to wrap up my thoughts on the two balls since any further analysis will probably be just me talking myself into things that might not hold up over time.

I have changed my mind on which of the two balls I would most prefer. The #3 wins out slightly over the #4. They are so close in performance for me and my swing speed that either would work fine.

I feel that #3 is more firm, launches lower and has less spin. Ball #4 really showed a much higher launch during the rounds especially in today's 14 mph wind. I guess that is due to more spin (could be core or dimple design) but not an expert on all that stuff so leave it for everyone to decipher.

Distances are about the same off driver and irons with #3 possibly a couple of yards longer, and #4 always stops quicker for me on all distance shots into the green. The extra roll out on #3 is very small and is still hop/stop enough for me. In fact I actually had one #3 shot that sucked back 7'. Albeit on a 5 degree slope directly behind the pin - but hey, if I stood there and dropped a ball from the waist it only rolled about 4' toward the pin so I felt good about that.

After two rounds the durability looks fine to me. I will continue playing the balls as long as they let me find them and if major wear shows up will post that info.

Have really enjoyed doing the testing and looking forward to seeing everyone else's analysis.

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

Hey @GolfSpy_APH some of my content I put on here is missing, unless I’m losing my mind.

This is the sign up thread this is the only test other than cobra that has a different thread for testers to post reviews 

So I was able to go and play 9 holes at an executive course yesterday after work. Between the two balls I like number three better.  Both were longer than the Vice Pro, TP5x, and CSx LS I had in my bag.  They felt great on iron shot and responded well to around the green, I was able to get both to check up on wedge shots from 40-85 yards out. And they held up on 10 consecutive bunker shots. Bad new was on one hole I lost one of each with driver. Basically hooked them around some trees and couldn't locate them and I had a group behind me so I didn't spent much time looking.  I the next 300 yeard plus hole I was able to pull driver and both the 3 and 4 ball were super straight and farther than to previous montioned balls.  Made a smooth swing a got about 285-295 out of them (the other three were 265-275).  One ball was on the fringe and the othe was a few paces off the front on a 315 to the center of the green.  Overall I liked them both, I'm very curious to see what each ball is, either way, I'm going to be switching to Titelist.

I'll do more chipping and putting next week to rellay get a sense of the around the green spin.