Lets get this off with a bang!
For purposes of this review I will be adding important dates (just below) of each add to this review!
Just a little history on me:
- Mark Lacasse and I am from Massachusetts.
- 32 years old with a wife and 2 children.
- I get out as much as I can, with younger kids I get a decent amount of rounds in every year depending on how far the season goes into the fall (If we go to November I am very happy), since I am in New England you just don't know. But typically anywhere from 25-40 rounds a year.
- Love the outdoors give me a fire, drink and someone to sit and chit chat with I am good to go!
- I am a Facilities Manager for a large portfolio in the Northeast from hard services (HVAC, electrical etc.) to soft services (landscaping, janitorial etc.) I have always been involved in facilities for my professional career in the Navy was an "Engineman" where I worked on HVAC equipment and when I got out was an HVAC tech as well.
- The Family:
Me and Golf:
- Started playing golf later in life. Played as a kid but baseball was my passion and maybe played a couple rounds in the summer from 12-20.
- Once I got out of the military (Navy) baseball was not in the cards anymore and started playing ALOT more. I was never fitted and was consistently in the mid-high 90s or low 100s for several years.
- Over the past 5 years I have really become competitive and striving to get better. Lowered my handicap to a current 6.9 (will be dropping with the most recent 2 rounds I played). I was fitted 2 years ago and have been focusing on swing adjustments which have shown very good play this year as a whole, just a few tweaks I think need to be made.
- Arccos has been a very big eye opener for me. Driving and putting are the best parts of my game (putting was a big surprise to me) driving have had several penalties this year which has brought me down a bit. Wedge play as of late has been a huge positive for me (SG was closer to -10 beginning of the season), while approach play is a massive struggle, know what I need to do....just need to do it.....(tempo)
- I am not a gear tinkerer, I like to stick with a setup but MGS has opened my eyes to so many aspects of golf I didn't look at in years past. I by no means stick to 1 thing during around, if something isn't working I am adjusting and will figure it out after the round. Put a few sticks in my hand I am going off feel for the day and I will score.
- Current look at my strokes gained to a 0 HDCP (Past 10 rounds vs Past 5 rounds):
- Putting has always been pretty good but Arccos is a huge eye opener.
My current gamer is an ODYSSEY O-WORKS 1W. I prefer the wide blade and that's what I went with for this test (ER2V with Firm shaft) WITB:
- Big stick-COBRA RadSpeed 8*
- 3W-Taylormade SIM
- Hybrid-COBRA SpeedZone (4H)
- Irons-Taylormade P790's
- Putter-Odyssey O-Works 1W
Since this will be a putter test a couple big things for me (Goals):
- I want to have a little more consistency. My biggest struggle is the 6-15' range. My current gamer is hot off the face and I typically blow those by and give myself a tough come backer (Past 5 rounds not so much though, pretty sure the putter knows its on the hot seat). My goal is to make a few more of those though.
- Pretty good under 6' and rarely 2 putt from there (I intentionally toe the ball with my current gamer) so this will be something I want to make sure continues.
- Lag putting is good and I think this might be the biggest struggle transition wise but we will see. I hope that I can maintain my consistency from 15'+, I probably have gotten efficient with lag because of my poor approach play, so I suppose I could reduce my distance that way!
- I have been looking at swapping my putter for over a year, not that I am not comfortable with mine but I am strictly going for a different feel now (see my game above), I am hoping this setup provides that more responsive feel and less of that soft feeling with my current setup.
- My stats aren't super accurate pre-selection as I was not great about placing pins on Arccos but the last 3 have been accurate so we will look at that:
- I am usually good for a 3 putt or 2 per round so the past few is an anomaly!
- I will be updating as I continue to play rounds prior to receiving equipment so look out for those 3+!
I am looking forward to this test, I hope the shaft provides stabillty all around the green from long to short putts. My goal is to consistently be sub 30 putts and reduce my 2 putts from 6'-15'!
If you're interested in seeing my previous reviews they are in my signature!. Thank you MGS, @Fujikura Golfand EVNROLL for this opportunity! Can also add me on Instagram as I will be updating on there as the testing goes @lacassemark.
8/18/2021 Package Received/Initial Thoughts:
Package has been received folks! I had not received any tracking details UNTIL the package was delivered, and even then I received a text message from my wife letting me know it was there before FedEx sent their alert. Needless to say I bailed from work! First I will go over unboxing with some pictures and then get into my first thoughts on this equipment!
From Ordered to Package on Porch:
- So I was pretty surprised the quick turn around on this setup. From time of selection to test on 7/17 to ordering around 7/20 we are looking at less than 4 weeks which EVNROLL is saying lead time is even longer than that on the site. Never mind the shaft is somewhat difficult to find outside of eBay (have done some looking into what their lead times were and all the dealers didn't even have at this time).
My specific order is as follows:
- 34" (-1" compared to my current gamer)
- Standard lie/loft
- Long plumber neck
- Shaft 115 Firm
- EVNROLL Gravity Grip
- Package was in good shape when received and my daughter was more than ecstatic to open it up for me (she proceeded to color the box, not pictured)
- Nothing special about the packaging, there was no bubble wrap or anything like that which was surprising because it was not a snug fit in the box but was a very sturdy plastic (nothing against packaging as their was no damage just noting what I am seeing)
- Going through material everything was clean, no marks on the shaft, grip or head. The shaft into the plumbers neck was very clean and their was no glue or debris. Same with the grip. The build is very clean!
- The entire setup is gorgeous. Such a clean looking setup. Fujikura on aesthetics alone do a beautiful job. I think I am going to call this setup "the little black dress"
- I am happy that the shaft description is setup on the back of the shaft at address, small thing but very happy to see that as I do not like verbiage from the top down view.
- Gamer VS. Potential Replacement:
First 24 hour thoughts:
- So overall the transition to this putter ascetically should not be difficult. Very similar setup and toe hang. The plumbers neck is more appeasing to my eye which I am happy with.
- Overall weight feels heavier (will get official weights in time) and feels much smoother.
- I am excited to get into the overall feel of this shaft. The material it is built with claims to have better balance as well as better feel. Initial stroke test feels extremely smooth and cannot wait to get some balls rolling.
- Also looking at the "firm shaft" really looking forward to the feel claims. Looking to get at a minimum to a green this weekend even if I do not play so keep an eye out on the comments section!
Check out my reviews:
G710 Irons Official Review
MC Shaft & V Series Putter Thread
Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :
RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X I SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green I 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ
48 (SM8), 52, 56, 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S I O-Works 1W I PROV1X #19
Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America