On the Course
Wear Them or Trade Them?
Testers
Equipment Type: Shoes
Vendor: Duca del Cosma

TESTERS WANTED - 2 Men & 2 Women!

Duca.jpg

Are golf shoes equipment or apparel?

On balance, likely the fairest answer is "both." To that end, every brand has a unique recipe it feels best strikes a ratio of style and performance.

Duca del Cosma is a company rooted in designs and craftsmanship with an unmistakable Italian flavor. Can I get some pizza Napoletana, please?

That said, entering a market like North America presents unique opportunities alongside multiple challenges.

With that, we'd like to get feedback from MyGolfSpy readers. We're looking for 4 total testers in the US or Canada - 2 Female, 2 Male.

Please Congratulate our testers!
@fozcycle
@CWilson216
@MsFitz
@Dragon3

Looks
Fit & Comfort
Basic Features
On the Course
Miscellaneous
Wear Them or Trade Them?

Duca Del Cosma Shoe - Vinci - Official MGS Forum Review by @Dragon3

Intro

Hi All!  I'm thrilled to be able to lend my expertise and passion for the game.  I'm a golfer who enjoys playing but also watching and analyzing the sport, products, business, history, etc.  It's all encompassing.  I'm a wealth of knowledge and experience and bring a unique perspective and spin on things.  I'm good at reading the greens.   And I have made contributions through other similar venues. 

While I always had an interest, in my twenties, I knew it would be an investment.  I actually got my start when I stepped in for my brother for a charitable golf tournament. I was told I was better than him and the rest is history.  The biggest complement I ever received was that I had "natural ability" from Brandt Snedeker.  While I remain competitive, I do wish that I could afford to get to the course more often.  But the time and quality is always well spent.  And if I can't get in a round of -9 or -18, preferably, you'll see me practicing at the driving range, putting and chipping.  I've never had a professional handicap even though I have been golfing for many years.  I also like to combine golf in my travels, to golf a new course.  That has been hampered so to speak.   My average score is 108-111 and fluctuates. Perfecting the shot was always more important to me than the score.  I'm not sure about my swing tempo.  Hopefully it's 3:1.  My driver swing speed has been clocked between 90-103. My typical ball flight is low to mid.  My misses are the slice and inconsistent pitching.  Putting is my strength.  My drives can be a strength and weakness.  My chipping has gotten better.

You can say I'm fashion forward and have an eye for both ladies and men fashions. So this is a nice fit for me.  As for shoes, I still have my Puma IGNITE given to me at the launch I attended.  I also have Callaway's Solaire that I purchased based on the features. I have yet to break these in.  Since, I walk the course comfort and durability are at the top of my priority list . I actually don't have any preconceived expectations.  Since there are limited options for ladies, ranging from clubs, bags, apparel, accessories, etc. I make my contributions and inquiries known when asked upon and whenever  the opportunity affords itself.  While it is getting better, there's always more that can be done in this space.  And when you're petite, there are additional challenges and limited options.

Hope you gain some insight.

IMG_0702.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

vinci_whitegold_1_2500x2500.webp

SS20-110601-00-Vinci-WhiteGold.webp

First Impressions

It’s all in the presentation. And if first impressions are anything, it’s hands down quality at its finest. I took a short video to capture the unveiling.  Golf meets high end fashion, so to speak. Belissima!  Loved the color and design.  The roundness of the front took a slight adjustment in aesthetics and eventually grew on me. It is modern and fashionable, while adhering to the traditional. You don’t have to compromise on comfort, style nor grip.

From my experience with Italian apparel and shoes they run a bit smaller, which is generally great for me. And performed a comparison with my Puma IGNITE and you could witness that the Vinci was noticeably smaller.  Since it’s a nappa leather and neoprene, it might feel tight within the toe area or squished based upon the socks worn and/or season of the year.  And if you feel a slight looseness in the heel, I generally would use Compeed or Band-Aid blister care for added comfort.  While it was not required this time, as I had time to break in prior to hitting the course to avoid any pain or discomfort.  Your feet will thank you too!  While it may have been recommended to size up, a whole size would probably have been too big.  This shoe was definitely suited for me “the fashion-conscious golfer.”  Always looking for versatility while not compromising on innovation nor aesthetics.

“The Airplay VII is a new outsole designed by Duca del Cosma for stability to make the perfect swing while enjoying the spotlight on and off the course.   Its innovative design combines form and function, perfect both on and off the course. Lightweight, flexible, super comfortable and fun to wear in in a two-tone design with oversized nubs.”

MORE TO COME.

Grading

Looks (10/10)
Based on general shape, colors/design, overall look, and appearance in relation to others, there’s nothing I would change. Traditional but yet modern.  The roundness of the toe area eventually grew on me.
1085BC1B-9E27-4555-AA94-371468E306A6.jpeg.e0e33a50e9dbdab06d01389329182579.jpeg
Fit and Comfort (9/10)
I slipped on with a Sketchers ped sock initially and also without and indeed they still were quite comfortable.  It was slightly more snug in the toe area based on the sizing and what I am accustomed, which was to be expected, while the other areas and heel felt completely secure with the laces all laced up.  The insole provided the right amount of support. It felt airy and lightweight, flexible and super comfortable. 

Duca del Cosma shoes come in whole and 1/2 sizes based on style availability and seemed more options for larger sizes or it could just be that the smaller sizes go fast.  The Vinci was described as a regular fit.  Other styles included wide width, etc.  So would recommend that you check the details if considering a purchase, as the fit will determine sizing appropriateness. While form fitting, It conformed to my foot perfectly and added overall comfort through the round.

Basic Features (19/20)
I tested the waterproofing aspect in the yard. I walked in puddles of water. The shoes kept my feet dry.  It proved waterproof and breathable throughout. Nothing out of the norm that I experienced. I didn’t have the heart to truly get them all muddy because they are white after all.

ARNEFLEX® insole features a waterproof sock system was totally effective at keeping my feet dry during the heat on a daily basis. I don't experience as much feet moisture, so I can't really attest to.  Quite breathable. Antibacterial shock absorption.

Velvet and basic white lacing were provided for the Vinci. I was slightly disappointed, as the description stated matching animal print laces and these were basic white laces and not as luxurious.  A minor sticking point. The lacing offered the additional comfort as intended and no slippage.
5A6CA0EE-30C9-4FB0-908A-E559E23288AE.jpeg.1294e7ef7e87b3aa889b9149e710b5b2.jpeg

While they felt slightly heavier than my other shoes no discomfort. I felt great traction. Traction was great on course, cart paths, steps, hills and bunker shots. I didn’t notice any wear on traction. 
A spikeless shoe tech offered was perfect, as I've only experienced spikeless. Definitely could be worn off course which is a plus.

On-Course/LM Performance (29/30)
The Vinci offered the appropriate stability.  I felt great traction.

“The Airplay VII is a new outsole designed by Duca del Cosma for stability to make the perfect swing..." and it really delivered during actual swing motions. In bunker sand or thick grass, traction was consistently solid. A slightly elevated heel seem to complement the swing motion. 
vinci_whitegold_5_120x120_crop_center.webp.abce9209242ec8d7ad8754dec0100996.webp
B9133451-A49A-4B58-B99C-CFA269A49E29.jpeg.fa32cd5e0a8033ad1e995309a3fad86b.jpeg
Miscellaneous (10/10)
Packaging and presentation are hands down exceptional! I took a video to capture the unveiling. Shipment was rather quick and that is always a plus.
Play it or Trade it? (20/20)
The shoes are on the higher end of the price points but remember these are fine Italian leather golf shoes. A premium brand in packaging.  Style and comfort offered and delivered.  Check them out even if a bit curious and you just might find something that clicks.

Conclusion
A worthwhile investment yes! As a lover of shoes in general, there’s something for everyone.  And definitely some other styles that I would love to add to my collection if sky's the limit. Definitely not your average golf shoe that sets them apart. Haute Couture meets the golfing establishment.  It's perfect and offers versatility for both on and off the course. Fun and Fancy Free.

Final Score (97/100)

a. Ladies Flex/10-12 degrees loft/25"-27" (male equivalent)

b. Adjustable/Ladies Flex (male equivalent)

c. Right-Handed

d. San Diego

e. -18

Link to review
Looks
Fit & Comfort
Basic Features
On the Course
Miscellaneous
Wear Them or Trade Them?

Hi all! I’m very excited to be one of the testers of these beautiful shoes. Before I get them, I want to introduce myself. My name is Linda. I am retired and living the golf dream life in sunny Northern California. 
    I have lived on the Lincoln Hills Orchard course in Lincoln for two years, so have been able to rekindle my golf game that was somewhat on hold the past 20+ years. It’s my happy place! I’m fortunate to be able to play 4-5 times a week or more on a variety of nice courses. I belong to our ladies club, am the current net club Champion. I also won the Helen Lengfield last October. I’m just a little competitive 😃
I’m about a 23 index, shooting from a low of 85 up into the low 100’s. But I’m taking lessons and hoping to get into the 80’s more often in the near future. I’ve been working on course management and my short game. 
    I currently have over a dozen pairs of shoes, mostly FootJoys, but some Skechers (shoes and sandals) and one pair of Sandbaggers. I saw the Duca Del Cosma’s on Facebook and love the style. I look for comfort (#1), secure (for scrambling up & down hills and out of sand traps) and style - so really looking forward to getting these. 
I’ll let you know more when I get them! 
And that’s me on the left, our group just won the Captain’s cup 🤑

IMG_4040.JPG.a64eb3d44ecdfbb5027d13ca8b92ffac.JPG

Intro con’t

One thing I didn’t mention in my initial intro is that our courses are really not walkable, nor as we allowed to walk most of the tournaments I play in, so I have a cart and jump in and out (I hate slow play). My #1 priority is stability…both while swinging, and while jumping in and out of the cart. And of course, great looks! And these have them in spades. This pair is not flashy, though DDC has plenty of pairs that are, and I recently purchased the beautiful Mint as I liked these so much.

The shoes come with interchangeable laces, and I use the brown to offset the white. It’s very classy in my opinion.They’re also extremely water resistant, which I do play when it’s wet.

First Impressions

When I first received the box, I was impressed with the strength. Might sound silly but I’ve gotten some non-DDC where the boxes have been squished - not good. But these were packaged like the first class shoes they are:IMG_4042.JPG.f2c50764dd0f8afbca27e401d8895a15.JPG

IMG_4043.JPG.23a7367389be0fa716580b81197fab32.JPG

Grading

Looks

Don’t they look great?! I’ve had so many compliments from both friends and people I meet on the course. They are classic, elegant, and there’s just something about them. They just look beautifully made - and with the 30+ I’ve played them, they are very well made. 10 points

IMG_4045.JPG.abfcf2453d89e4371813e6079eab3909.JPG

Fit and Comfort (## out of 10 points)

I was a little concerned about the sizes knowing Italian shoes tend to run small. But after measuring my foot the way the website specifies, the 7.5 was just about perfect.
The Isabel (and the Mint I just bought) are for wider feet. The leather is a little stiff on the Isabel but not so much I felt it uncomfortable. I did have a blister on my heel after the first round and some minor pain on my big toe callus after playing two days in a row. Heavier socks did the trick. These aren’t Skechers in terms of feeling like there’s a lot of foam around your foot but for me they are just fine, and offer much more stability on the course.
8 points

IMG_4044.JPG.4c007d988c424cfc2a42f07bf12c1eaa.JPG

Basic Features (## out of 20 points)

The model I tried is not waterproof, but extremely water resistant. I never felt my feet were wet at any time, and I have taken them into areas of standing water. It’s one reason I wear them for all my tournaments.
Performance has been excellent. I have never felt like I was going to slip - and at my age, you don’t want to fall!
The soft spikes performed just fine, and I’ve had no unusual wear or tear.  20 points

IMG_4046.JPG.57cdbd5432a3a9d2b5a5f3b3c8d4b373.JPG

They're wet, but my feet are dry!

On-Course / LM Performance (## out of 30 points)

For what it’s worth, my index has gone down three points! I’ve had three rounds in the mid-80’s (I had never broken 90 until earlier this year). I’ve won several tournaments wearing them. I do believe they’ve helped, and I didn’t expect that. Have to give them 30 points for that.

Don't mine look nice?

IMG_4050.JPG.8cc55e26bfbc278cd1d164ee909ceead.JPG

Miscellaneous (## out of 10 points)

After I’d played in these for a couple of weeks, I decided to order another pair. Unfortunately, I didn’t pay attention to the sizing, and they were too narrow. I asked to send them back - about killed me as I loved the style. Customer service was excellent. I received a UPS slip and full instructions on how to send back. My money was refunded as soon as they received the shoes. Thumbs up on Customer Service! 10 points

IMG_4048.JPG.a2423503a2ac0e42f3172099bfdfc436.JPG

Play it or Trade it? (## out of 20 points)

At the higher price point, I probably wouldn’t buy many pairs. HOWEVER, I will buy again and probably always have a pair as I’ve had so much success with them…and they have a GREAT sale right now.  I jumped at getting another beautiful pair for half price. These are not for everyone. But they are for people who appreciate style and quality, and are willing to pay a slightly higher price.

My new pair!

IMG_4049.JPG.3f6b65f4be47f416a92719629f649fc6.JPG

Points 18

Conclusion

Interestingly, my index has gone DOWN three points to 19.8 since I’ve been playing with these shoes. No, it’s not all the shoes, but I do appreciate both the stability and style, and face it, when you like what you’re wearing, you feel better too!

Final Score: (## out of 100 points)

Winner, winner! Me winning low net in my flight at the WGANC Eclectic at PeachTree. Just one of several!

IMG_4047.JPG.1f2b231b8f8863c2867d2e2626cb9702.JPG

96 points from this senior woman golfer. Thanks so much for letting me test drive these great shoes!

IMG_4041.JPG

Link to review
Looks
Fit & Comfort
Basic Features
On the Course
Miscellaneous
Wear Them or Trade Them?

In 1959, the City of Frankfort, Kentucky opened a new park called Juniper Hills,  located just west of the city.  Juniper Hills included a Par 72, 18 Hole rolling terrain golf course and an Olympic size swimming pool.  My Grandfather and his buddies joined the club and began playing every week.  I was only 8 yrs old, but my Grandfather decided I was old enough to be his caddy.  So I began my golfing career pulling a Bagboy pull-cart filled with Powerbilt golf clubs up and down the rolling terrain of Juniper Hills.  As a caddy, I learned the rules of golf and how the game was played.  My first set of clubs were a hodgepodge set of old hickory shafted clubs, leftovers from my Grandfather’s old clubs.  Ones that he took to Africa when he was building a sawmill to harvest mahogany wood for office furniture in 1948-49.  He was a Civil Engineer.  They carved out some land in the jungles of the Gold Coast(now Ghana) for a 9 hole course and played it for their recreation. Sadly, today I only have the putter left, so it hangs on the wall above my desk at home.  I progressed from the hickory sticks to used Powerbilts that were my Grandfather’s.  At age 10, I got my first set of cleats(steel spikes of course).  I felt like I was king of the world when I walked around the clubhouse area going clickety-clack, clickety-clack.  I spent my summers at Juniper Hills, just a mile from my home, caddying in the mornings then either hawking lost balls, putting for pennies or playing in the hot Summer afternoons.  I witnessed a Hole in one at age 13 when one of my friends aced the 140 yard Par 3 #6.  For my High School Graduation, my Grandfather gave me a new set of Powerbilt irons. I got my Ace in August, 1985 at Pine Ridge Country Club in Winnfield, LA.  When I moved to Florida in 1987, I was a 10 Handicap, gaming Nicklaus Muirfield irons.  Unfortunately, I was either working, or playing with my 4yr old daughter so I did not get much time to retain my handicap and watched it slip to an 18.  Fast forward through the years to now, I have been playing with a 6” steel plate, 13 screws & an inch of my left hip bone in my left wrist (ice skating accident in 1998).  The inch of my left hip was to make both arms the same length again.  Because of the injury, my handicap ballooned to the mid 20’s for several years, so I moved to graphite irons to reduce as much vibration as possible.  I was able to get my handicap back down to 13 for a few months in 2011, but that did not last.  For the past several years, I have been bouncing between 14 and 22.  I also have two Ligaments damaged in my Left Ankle(too many ankle sprains).  The Dr’s offered surgery but I declined because I was not ready to stay off of it for 4 months.  I am an Accountant(Ky State Univ. 1977) that retired in Jan 2017 and played 4 days a week wearing an ankle brace.  I got tired of the brace and decided to play without it.  My drives usually range from 185 to 205, with an occasional 220 and my 6i is my 150 yard club.  I am 70 years old, with an 14 Handicap, and play golf 3 to 4 times every week.

I played at Pebble Creek Golf Club, located in New Tampa, just 7 miles from my home until it was closed on July 31st.  I shot my best round there on the day it closed, 37/38:75.  I have been running the Saturday Game at Pebble Creek for 12 years.  We average between 30 - 50 players each week in our Stableford Points game.  Twice a year we have a 2 day tourney.  Annually, I book a 12 to 24 man Buddy Trip to the Kissimmee FL area. It’s a lot of work, but a lot of fun. We are now playing at Plantation Palms GC, same owner but way different club with many undulations around the elevated greens.

I have previously reviewed Cobra Bio Cell, Cobra F6 irons and Cobra F8 Full Bag Challenge for My Golf Spy.  All were excellent sticks for a mid to high Handicaper.  I have also reviewed Tour Edge CBX119 hybrid and Cleveland Zipcore wedge. Currently testing the Titleist ball blind test.

My Bag is as follows:  Vice Cruiser cart Bag, PXG 0211 Driver(Evenflo Riptide regular set to 11.5*), Cobra F8 3-4 Wood(16.0*) & 5-6 Wood(20*) with Mitsubishi tense ck blue shafts, Cobra King F8 3 Hybrid with Mitsubishi tense ck blue shaft, Wilson D-7 irons 5-PW 2* flat with Recoil 460 regular shafts). The wedges are Cleveland Zipcore 50/54/58*, Putter is Evnroll ER2 33” w/355 gram head. 

My current ball has been the Maxfli CG Tour, Srixon Q Star Tour & Titleist Pro V1x.

I am an avid Tampa Bay sports fan, or should I say “CHAMPA Bay”!

As for shoes, I have around 14 pair, Foot Joy(7 pr) Puma(3 pr) Ecco(2 pr) Addidas and Etonic.

I will be testing the Tomcat shoe by Duca del Cosma.

F533C084-3DEC-4DA8-A592-DD636B2F0009.jpeg

05A9FC08-A31D-4C75-9947-EBBDB02819A4.jpeg

First Impressions

This week, I am at Hilton Head Island for my annual visit with my family.  So I booked a solo round at one of my fav courses, Palmetto Hall Robert Cupp course. I was placed with a couple that had moved to HHI from Ohio right before the pandemic hit.  When I walked up to the first tee, Stephanie said, “…where did you get those shoes? They are really nice…” I then got the opportunity to describe the shoes and where they come from.  I was wearing my  Duca del Cosma Tomcat golf shoes.

image.png.e91283d4dfc15cc88bb0926080de74d8.png

What kind of shoe is Duca del Cosma? If you go to their website you will see what they are….

Duca del Cosma was established in 2004 by Baldovino Mattiazzo and Antje Elle. Italian-born Baldovino is a designer from Venice who graduated as one of the best students from the Sarteco fashion School in Florence. Antje was born in Germany and graduated from the renowned Munich School for Fashion Graphic Design.Baldovino and Antje, both passionate golf players, strongly believed that the golf world needed a breath of fresh air: a sophisticated and fashionable touch. An ideal brand name immediately came to mind: “Duca del Cosma”, Italian for Duke of Cosma. Cosma is a traditional Venetian name and has been in use in Baldovino’s family for many generations. Duca del Cosma, a new brand, was born.

We at Duca del Cosma are passionate about developing unique golf and contemporary lifestyle collections that combine comfort, fashionable stylishness and sports functionality. Our collections are inspired by the Italian way of living and produced with great attention to detail.

With that said, Duca del Cosma became successful in Europe and decided to venture into the United States of America.

The package arrived in a brown box. Upon opening, I saw a red shoe box with cushioned air bags around it.   

IMG_3079.jpeg.caa0c4f15f52b90325835d6e99ce2b5d.jpeg

IMG_3080.jpeg.8a4dbff082729a5bb6a99729450bff49.jpeg

Inside the shoebox lid, a personal message…..

IMG_3081.jpeg.0a77afe50946ae9657c87dd72a374f54.jpeg

IMG_3082.jpeg.8a57c9807ef9d899349303dc95c70f49.jpeg

IMG_3083.jpeg.6f115721d2a13f9e8d82dc7377201db7.jpeg

As you know from my introduction, I have played golf most of my life.  Retired now for almost 5 years, I try to play 3 or 4 times a week.  Currently, I have about 16 pair of golf shoes, ranging from Addidas(1),  Ecco(2), Etonic(1) Footjoy(7), Nike(2) & Puma(3).  I am very conscious of my feet and try to make sure that my shoes are very comfortable.

Grading

Looks ( 9 out of 10 points) 

• Athletic look, with long, adjustable shoe string ties.
  • Color is dark blue with red and white accents.
  • Soul is solid red color.

Fit & Comfort( 10  out of 10 points)

• I wear size 8 1/2 US or a 42 in European.
  • I have a narrow foot so the long shoe ties help keep the shoe tight.
  • The shoe is heavy when you pick it up, but does not feel heavy when wearing. 
  • The shoe fit my entire foot, heel to toe.  It has a high back so your heel does not slip as some shoes do.
  • Very comfortable after 18 holes.
  • I could easily wear these all day when playing 36 holes and be very comfortable.

Basic Features ( 18 out of 20 points)

As stated earlier, I play four times a week.  I also play in very wet conditions this time of the year(July-Oct).  I do not have a good place to practice but figure 18 holes, four times a week will give me a good idea how the shoe fits and handles the course.

Here is a brief description of the wedges attributes:

• Waterproofing:  the shoe has a waterproof membrane that keeps moisture out while allowing the shoe to breathe.
  • August & September are the wet months for Central Florida. The Tomcat trudged through swampy conditions and kept me feet dry. 
  • The sole is made from recycled materials and has a 1.75” waterproof from the ground.
  • IMG_3097.jpeg.6d374c74c8bdff7470fd737ef25ce636.jpeg
  • The Lacing system is long allowing for tight control of the entire foot. The shoes also came with a second pair of laces(Blue).

IMG_3092.jpeg.79914cb2bb9eaa538588c8bf3918d10b.jpeg

• As stated previously, these shoes were comfortable enough to be worn off the course. I wore them from my house to the course and back several times and my feet were comfortable.
  •  

On-Course Performance (28 out of 30 points)

• I have tried several shoes without spikes and found most of them okay, if the ground is dry and there are no leaves to slip on.
  • I must say, right off the bat, these spikeless golf shoes are the real deal.  They grip the ground and allow you to turn.
  • With the high heel on the shoe, my feet were very stable when I made my swing.
  • I wore these four times in a week....they recovered nicely after each round.

IMG_3102.jpeg.b9986be3725644aef2834c3c61e2ad68.jpeg

Miscellaneous ( 8 out of 10 points)

Even though my size, 8 1/2 US fit the size 9, they need to include 1/2 sizes for the US market.  I do think their $200+ price tag is a bit pricey for the US market, as most golfers can get good shoes for under $150.  I know, from 15+ pair of golf shoes.

Play it or Trade it? ( 20 out of 20 points)

I was very impressed by the Duca del Cosma Tomcat and believe they have a place in the US market. I absolutely will play them.

Conclusion

If you value the comfort of your feet during a round of golf, the Duca del Cosma shoe should be on your feet.

Final Score: (92 out of 100 points)

IMG_3237.jpeg.527c64a14ab8c2fd77ff59acc8c5e5d7.jpegIMG_3236.jpeg.16610a269565000aa8d840c5cda42d37.jpeg

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Link to review
Looks
Fit & Comfort
Basic Features
On the Course
Miscellaneous
Wear Them or Trade Them?

Good Evening and Hello All!

What an opportunity to test a shoe (Italian) trying to make their mark in the USA. I don't know about the other three testers, however I have a little anxiety over testing shoe. My name is Cory, I live in Ohio and I am first time tester and relatively new "Golfer".

I have always been drawn to this game /sport. Since the being as young as I can remember and my grandpa taking me the local course named Hickory Flats. Now, before I continue with my grandfather and my golf life or lack there of, let me say this. Hickory Flats is not flat, as a matter of fact, its THEE destination for kids on snow days from school. Sledding those hills and dodging the many tree's, fun stuff! Not sure where the name hickory comes from, as I have never seen so many pines. I loved to drive the golf cart in watch grandpa hit balls here there, however we mainly scooped balls from the numerous ponds. The cart was a 3-wheel electric cart and he paid to have it stored there. Some memories I haven't thought of much until writing this. 

I've only played in numerous golf outings over the years, mainly through my connections with the fire departments who put them on. Until this year, I had never actually recorded a score for 18 hole's. I decided late last year during the pandemic that I wanted to finally take golf serious and try to play and enjoy it every day that I could. I bought new clubs, started some lessons and I am playing almost twice a week. Currently, the Grint has my Index at 20.8. My father always told me if I could play once a week I had potential, so we will see! Speaking of him, we have been playing this summer about once a week, and a funny story about grandpa from above.......dad said he doesn't think he ever purchased a golf ball 😂🤷🏻‍♂️. My best score is an 84 and I am consistently in the 90's now. I have a driver swing speed of 95-100 currently and hoping it keeps climbing as I play more. My goal for a shoe is comfort first and foremost. If we can't be comfortable. we can't enjoy ourselves. Next would be performance, does it keep me planted. I would then rate based on weather and durability. 

I am extremely excited from this and truly hope I can bring a fresh and insightful review to everyone. As I said, I am not sure if I am anxious, nervous or just scared to do this for the first time, but I promise to give it my all. Sorry for the late introduction, its been an extremely hectic this past week with work, work and more work, plus a golf trip Mon/Tue. If only these had arrived prior. The Shoe, Duca del Cosma Elpaso looks to be a traditional styled spike-less shoe and boasts the award of Golf Monthly's Editors choice. We shall see as I am building my shoe collection but just recently purchase a few high scoring shoes in this years MGS Buyers Guide.

The shoe's arrived this evening and are still in the shipping box. I will tackle some first impressions tomorrow, maybe break them in a little Friday and Saturday and then put through an initial test walking 18 with @MattF on course I've never played. So the first "test" should be interesting. I plan to bring a back up.... but will I need them 😬  Attached are photo's from the manufacturers website and one of myself. Yes, I can at least dress/look the part, still working on the playing thing. 

121268-100_Elpaso_White_Still_2.jpg

121268-100_Elpaso_White_Still_3.jpg

cory-cigar.jpg

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

The shoes arrived within a few days via UPS within a few days of picking a size. Sizing consists of full size only, with no half sizes. In my experience this typically leads to a shoe sometimes not fitting ideally and always in between sizes (in which they always say go up). Based on Duca's sizing chart and all of my measurements, size 9 was where I ended up. I normally wear a 10 or 10.5 in other shoes FYI. 

The packaging of the shoes was first class. Exactly what you would expect from a shoe in this price range. Nicely boxed, a carry bag, spare (brown) shoe laces and nice welcoming letter on the inside of the lid, thanking you for your purchase and welcoming you to the Duca Del Cosma Family. A very nice touch. The first look and touch of the shoe and you can tell its quality. They do have an odd shape / appearance to what I'm used to wearing, but I like a traditional looking golf shoe and these scream tradition and class. Spikes / sole are also a bit odd, but I believe they were designed this way on purpose.

4708CB57-307C-4C15-B3FC-434D940BDB90.jpeg.cc5b36e3cdc8c85293c6dbe121fe96ec.jpeg6F07046F-93A1-4A1A-934E-2B17D1308493.jpeg.6bcb5107bfc981029c098689ecae7e74.jpeg50D7FA41-F79A-435A-B89A-06D09569E8F7.jpeg.7801875470a321925d2c8b4385b5a571.jpeg

Initial try on and fit was very mixed. They fit extremely tight in the toe box even though I had plenty of room between big toe and the end of the shoe. Comparing to my current shoes, they were exactly the same size when matching them together. It is definitely a shape / material issue. I walked around the firehouse with them on for 30 min or so and had two short practice sessions with them on in my garage simulator before the first round. First round was a Sunday morning/afternoon at Kent States home course, Windmill Lakes in Ravenna with @MattF.  I was informed the course doesn't drain well and on this day I brought my push cart to walk and really test these shoes. It was cart path only so I was thankful for that decision. So just walking around the course etc....Stability is an A+ but comfort is definitely lacking. I brought my Adidas Tour 360's with me just incase I had problems and originally left them in the truck thinking I could change at the turn, then I remembered my cart bag has shoe pockets built in (Thanks Ping) and I brought the Adidas along and thank goodness I did. I felt blisters potentially starting and decided on the 5th hole after our tee shots that I should set down and take a look. Sure enough blisters, so I decided to change shoes right then. Immediately my Adidas felt cushioned clouds and I was surprised how comfortable they felt and the relief my feet begged for. On the 6th tee, I bandaged my blisters and played the rest of the round in the Adidas. 

0A7272B0-22F6-4483-AEDB-8DE712DCC872.jpeg.840f16051d7cfc3457a094e2477cfd13.jpeg

6AC101EF-A0FD-4616-B6A0-11D8E42FC064.jpeg.202a0ae893f675aacb18cb93ecad2e64.jpeg

Fast forward to today for a brief update and a glimmer of hope. We discussed going a size up, but I didn't think it would matter. I felt at that point they would just be too big and the potential of blisters would increase with slipping of the heel. The testers also discussed privately the need for break in as these are handmade with quality leather. So that's what I did. I continued to wear in the garage for practice, wore to the range and even some around the yard. Yesterday I played 18 in them (albeit in a cart) but I made it the entire round and did start to enjoy them. So I will continue to test and report back soon, off to the course I go for another round with the Duca del Cosma ElPaso's

1A09AE79-D3E4-47EB-968C-BE352D009671.jpeg.eb99acf2377121410bfe94e4fa547e8f.jpeg3ADE3F64-DA2B-4062-8DF2-165B3C78CEA5.jpeg.bcebff89e8925debb21329f8606a2f98.jpeg

Looks (7 out of 10 points) 

Looks are very subjective and personable to each of us. I like the look of a traditional shoe which is why I chose the Elpaso. The shape of the shoe takes some getting used to. I am not sure if it's the brown piping or just the overall design and “boxiness” of them. The white leather is absolutely stunning and the piping is well done as well. The gold top eyelets look great and I wished they had used them for all of the eyelets instead of blue which I feel distracts from the shoe. Overall, the shoes have a different look when compared to other “name” brand shoes. This is afterall an Italian golf shoe which I feel might lend itself better to the Euro Tour and players across the pond when it comes to looks alone.

Fit and Comfort (5 out of 10 points)

This is a tough category because the shoes fit me very tight, but I am not sure there is room to go up a size. There is decent space between my big toe and the tip of the shoe, no less than other shoes I wear. Sizing was not as I expected, I ordered a 9 and I normally where 10-10.5. Duca has a sizing chart and I measured numerous times to make sure I was not wrong. Which brings me to the con of no half sizes. I am not sure it would make the difference as it would allow more room in the toe box, but could lead to additional slipping and my heels won’t appreciate that. I saw no option for different widths either. I am assuming this will hold true across all models. If I could change one thing it would be a slightly larger toe area. However, as you will read later, maybe I just need to suck it up and play my best 🙂

Worth noting is the weight of the shoes compared to my only other pair of spikeless (Tour 360's). The Duca's are roughly 4.5oz heavier per each shoe, resulting in just over a half pound total difference. It doesn't seem like much, but with both pairs in each hand the DDC's are noticeably heavier.

Comfort I feel is the most important topic of this category and the shoe lacks here. Not only do they fit tight, but it almost feels like I am walking on a board. There is very little cushioning to the shoe. This was immediately noticeable when I felt my blisters starting the first round and switching to my Tour360’s. Quite honestly I was surprised how much more comfortable they were and it felt like walking on a cloud. Definitely an eye opener and something I haven’t figured out if it's a good or bad thing...read on to performace!

00E91441-C9B0-43B0-A676-82D57D893BCF.jpeg.ddfb95f195adbd4b9e62898d46d52cc8.jpegC2E832E9-2A38-4076-B4BF-E870DC065134.jpeg.81a1f13cc9f98d3f3d0027c56888b3a8.jpeg3C914362-6BCF-49E1-ADF4-0267DE8B0D4E.jpeg.23fb8954773b80f77dbb0e3de9ba0f05.jpeg

Basic Features (16 out of 20 points)

This is a category I feel the shoe could slip in (no pun intended) however it doesn’t deserve to. Shoes do not need tons of features to stand apart from others. As golfers we really just need about four features for a shoe to be successful and this shoe checks all but one. I feel we need: Comfort (addressed above) Stability, traction and waterproofing. Everything else is important personally, but not essential. 

The waterproofing is done in a few different ways. First is they use the “more resistant” grain side of the leather. I am not sure how this translates to the other side but I will take their word. The second is using a hydrophobic treatment prior to tanning the leather. This one makes much more sense to me. The last piece to the puzzle is the membrane of the shoe. I am going to directly list information from Duca del Cosma website to explain:

A membrane is like a wall separating liquids and gas. Liquids can't enter, but vapor may escape, making our shoes waterproof while also being breathable.

For the interior finishing of Duca del Cosma shoes, we use a microfiber material with a membrane and waterproof tape sealing. We focus on testing waterproofness and functionality to ensure your feet remain constantly dry, while still being able to “breathe”. The upper leather has been treated in regular intervals to ensure humidity runs off and does not soak in, so that it maintains its suppleness. We guarantee our shoes are waterproof under normal wearing circumstances and up to 1.75" on the shoe from the ground

I didn’t stand in puddles for extended periods of time, but I did trounce in a few and noticed no water getting into the shoe. I also wore them for a few early morning rounds and water from the dew and sprinklers were no match. As far as drying, I never really noticed them feeling wet, so it must be quick. 

There is no fancy lacing system on these shoes. Two pairs of laces were included and the shoes stayed taught each and every round. My feet always felt locked in and never felt overly uncomfortably warm from a breathability standpoint. I do tend to have hot / sweaty feet but I never noticed my feet feeling warmer than other shoes.

Ah, the soles of the shoes. Very interesting looking indeed but they work. I was concerned with the lack of space between the nubs to allow areas to bite. By looking at the sole one would think the shoe might just be flat on the surface and not actually grip. I was wrong….the traction is superb and I never once felt like I would slip, spin out during my swing or lose traction on harder surfaces. The rubber of the sole grips well and doesn’t seem to be wearing much at all. 

These shoes are designed to be worn to and from the course. However, I feel they are a little much for my taste off the course. There is no offense to Duca del Cosma or this man, but I have never seen this guy at any of the clubhouses I frequent 😉

image.png.3024be80935b7ac796b2b88a1e405cec.png

On-Course / LM Performance (28 out of 30 points)

This category is where the shoes shine I believe. I am not sure they were designed this way or why they work the way they seem to, but I just felt confident swinging in these. I never lost traction, always felt connected to the ground and the stability was amazing.

This shoe really seemed to promote footwork and from the moment I wore them in the garage on my hitting mat, I knew there was something different about them. At this point I can only suggest it is the open area in the midsection of the sole which allows your foot to roll or transition in your swing. I felt like the rolling onto my lead side was just a more natural feeling. I am no golf expert by any means, but I know when your weight shifts forward properly, it promotes MUCH better ball striking and the Elpaso’s seems to promote this shift by allowing your feet to roll. So this might be the proper time to mention I shot my best round wearing these shoes two weeks ago. I shot an 84 (42/42) and I should have broken 80 that day. I wish I would have tried my other shoes against these on the Mevo+ but I am not sure I am consistent enough to confidently post any findings from a test like that.

IMG_7FB7D49F24A9-1.jpeg.c711b70dade9ceab4e8c7ab0df2675f5.jpeg

Miscellaneous (8 out of 10 points)

Shipping was fast and I feel no matter which coast you’re on you will have your shoes in less than five days. We had to have our size submitted on a Sunday and the shoes arrived that Wednesday...impressive. As mentioned in the first impressions, the packaging is fantastic and a carry bag is a nice touch. The note on the lid of the box makes one feel special and just lets you know they care and appreciate your business.

I received no comments from playing buddies as I don’t think most know about this company or are willing to spend the money for a shoe like this. Maybe when I break 80 I will tell them it was the shoes HAHA.

Play it or Trade it? (17 out of 20 points)

The Elpaso’s are a play it for me at this point. While I am not in love with the look when wearing them, I can’t argue with how confident I feel when standing over the ball. Before breaking them in more and after the blisters I was a hard trade it, but I’ve made a flip. The asking price I believe is high for U.S customers. This model won’t appeal to everyone and the retail price tag is hefty ($230) . I believe the golfer who has a passion for being different, willing to try something new, looking for a shoe that just might promote better footwork and has an expendable golf budget will be happy with these. 

If the shoes came in other sizes (½) and one or two additional colors, it would make it easier to recommend. I don’t need my shoes to match my clothes, but the Elpasos definitely look classier with certain styles and colors of clothing.

Conclusion

I am sure quite a few skipped down to this section but I hope some of you took the time to read my first review. This was a struggle (I’ve written this twice) but a very enjoyable process. The shoes are tight fitting but I feel they are designed this way. The break in period is long and I am not sure they are fully broken in after 10 or so rounds. My advice is to take your time and wear as much as possible before hitting the course. Comfort is definitely missing (might get better) but only more rounds will tell. I shot my best round wearing these. If the performance continues it will be hard to argue versus the looks and comfort. My feet stayed dry and were not overly warm.

I own more comfortable shoes for sure, but the feel when swinging in the Duca del Cosma Elpaso’s just feels natural and right. I like to be different and these shoes scream “look at this guy” or “what are you wearing? ''. I also have a large mustache, wear loud colors and now some flashy shoes 😉

Final Score: (81 out of 100 points)

Driver: :titelist-small: TS2 10.5* - Tensei AV Blue 55 S

Fairway Wood: :titelist-small: TS2 16.5* - Tensei AV Blue 65 S

Hybrids: :titelist-small: TS2 19.0* - Tensei AV Blue 70HY S

Irons 5-GW: :mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal - Pro Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 S

Wedges::mizuno-small: T-20 54 | 58 |  M-Grind - Nippon Modus 105 

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B MidBlade Black - Gravity Grip

Ball: :bridgestone-small: 

Link to review

44 Comments

1 hour ago, tony@CIC said:

Congrats guys & gal and especially @fozcyclewho as we all know needs another pair of shoes 🤣

Thanks Tony. You are correct, I do need a pair to add to my 15+ pair of Golf shoes. Always looking for the “perfect fit”.

Really glad to be a part of this new venture for Duca del Cosma.  Wish them well entering the U.S. market.  Finally, a little style for the American Golfers.

Please note that due to a slight glitch, my shoe review will feature a different shoe. Loving mine. For the ladies, you will definitely love the style. Very comfortable.  Italian sizes run slightly smaller than US of which I'm all too familiar with my petite frame.  While I didn't need to size up, I would suggest many might.  

vinci_whitegold_1_2500x2500.webp

On 10/4/2021 at 8:50 PM, ChitownM2 said:

@fozcycle How would you compare these shoes against any of the other more "athletic" styled shoes you have from the larger brands, ie Adidas, FJ, Puma, etc?  

Are there any particular strengths or deficiencies for the Duca's compared to your other shoes?

Good question….albeit, they are heavier but when on my feet the fit is so good I could wear them all day.  I like them better than my Addidas, pumas, Etonic and FJ’s.  The only thing I do not like is the price. At $200+ they are too expfor the American market. Would I get another pair?  You betcha! When they go on half price sale again.