On The Course
Play it or Trade it?
The Good, The Bad, The In-between
The Numbers
Testers
Equipment Type: Fairway
Vendor: Sub70

Screenshot 2022-04-03 17.31.42.png

According to our consumer survey data, Sub 70 is the No. 1 direct-to-consumer golf equipment brand. The secret recipe is a blend of performance, value and kick-ass customer service.

Case in point: At less than $200, the Sub 70 949x fairway offers a robust slate of modern technology and materials. The 455-carpenter steel cupped face produces “the hottest ball speeds possible off the face” according to Sub 70.

Congrats to our Sub70 949X Testers!
@JFish350
@pakman92
@MrBandit
@DaveP043

Please also check out the How to become a Forum Tester Thread to help increase your future chances of being selected!

Aesthetics
The Numbers
On The Course
Play it or Trade it?

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/tests/29-sub70-949x-fairway/?do=findComment&comment=7893

First Impressions (500 Words) (4 out of 5 Stars)Click the link above

Aesthetics (5 out of 5 Stars) 

Describe the following:

• General Shape: This club is pleasing to my eye, not only just looking at it, but at address setting up or a shot both at the range and on the course, it gives me confidence I can pull off the shot I want just before I pull the trigger. 

• How does the overall look come together? From the face to the carbon fiber top it is a very good looking club.

• How does the appearance compare to other clubs in the same category? I don't have much to compare it to. I had a Callaway epic flash 3 wood. I sold/borrowed it to a friend. It's a nice looking club and this Sub70 is just as nice if not better IMO. 

• Are they flashy? Do other players notice them in your bag without being prompted? I wouldn't call this club flashy, it is a very nice looking club but who buys a club that looks good. Performance and cost are what we should be using in buying clubs correct at least that's what I do. So if flashy means performance this thing is a Lamborghini ( my dream car).

Describe how the club sounds and feels

• Does it sound: loud, quiet, harsh, smooth, or other? This has a smooth sounding tic, or thwack to it. Some clubs sound odd like dull thud or an obnoxious ting or the ever brutal Sasquatch. Even on miss hits it has a nice note.  

• Does it feel soft, crisp, dull, clicky? For those that played baseball/softball when you hit a home run, you don't feel the ball leaving the bat. You swing and the ball just flys off the bat like it's a surprise. Well this has that same feeling, the ball just fly's off the face.

• Does it feel consistent across the face, or are mis-hits noticeably pronounced?There might be a slight difference in feel, but you really need to hit off the toe like almost miss the ball before you really know how far outside or inside you missed the club face. It would be more noticeable in ball flight but even then not much of difference. I have a 1 iron that when I miss the sweet spot it rattles may hands. This is the club I am hoping to replace

• Does the sound/feel affect your performance? Short answer is no. Other than exuding confidence I can pull off what shot I want to play. Granted I am a 15/16 handicap I can pull off shaping the ball on occasion and on purpose. 

• The Numbers (5 out of 5 stars)

• Accuracy – Are you able to consistently hit your target?  What’s the dispersion like? On the range once I got the weights adjusted to fit my swing I was able to try and work the ball. After getting a feel, I would go 3-5 shots trying to draw then fade then straight. I would do 5- 6 rounds each or until I lost the feel and needed to hit some wedges to cool down a bit. I was able to work the ball at will (wish I could do this on the course). This really gave me confidence once I got on the course, lie dependent of course. Tough to simulate rough and lie types from a mat, still it helps in knowing I've already made the shot and can do it again when it matters. 

• Distance – Raw distance regardless of direction: I'm having issues with my launch monitor so it was hard to know for a fact the distance. When on the course I was using  it for shots from 225-250. At the range with well used balls it seems distance was from 215-250. I will say I was hoping for a little more distance, that said I have never had a 4 wood before and wasn't sure what to expect. I am not deducting points for this. 

• Trajectory – High, low, or somewhere in between? All depends on strike. A solid strike the ball flys high, straight and on target. I've tried a few shots from the rough with rain the night before and as it dried out getting more fluffy lie. I lost a little bot of distance a slight draw. When I tried to hit more of a cut from the rough I go the outcome I wanted with a nice ball flight on target. This a make contact and the ball will do what you want type of club, no need to crank it up. Make your normal swing and you're good to roll.

•  

On-Course (5 out of 5 stars)

• Pressure – When you step up to a difficult shot with something on the line (money, best score, water water water) can you execute for success? I have mentioned earlier that this club gives me confidence. I feel I can take this club and make the shot. I do need to dial in the distance and then re-work the top of my bag. I want this club in my bag, I'm just not sure where it will fit as of right now. 

• What factors were you pleased with? It's easy to swing, I can feel the club all the way through my swing. It's my swing that gets out of wack and I can sometimes correct during the swing to get the ball to go on target. I really like how easy this club is to adjust to fit my swing. 

Final Performance Comments:

• Overall, how did it perform? I had really high expectations from this club. I've made it no secret that I play Sub70 irons, and 3HY. I totally love my irons and 3 HY and have had plenty of other golfers mention how they look, sound and feel. I have a bit higher swing speed than most people I play with so it's hard for them to get a good feel as I have KBS Tour 130 shafts in my irons. This 4 wood has lived up to my expectations. As mentioned I will be re-working the top of bag to fit this in. 

• Did it help improve your scores? By how much? Hard to tell at this point as I have only played it on the course 3 rounds. In those 3 rounds I would say it saved 2-3 strokes per round. How you ask, well when I top my driver and it goes less than 100 yards or just hit a bad drive and the ball is in the rough with a yardage of 230 plus I have made some great saves to put me back on track for a par or limit the big numbers.  

• How, if at all, did this product change your overall impression of the OEM? As mentioned I have Sub70 irons and my opinion is, Sub70 is my first look at any club they have that I can put in my bag. 

• What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model? Hands down the head cover. It isn't bad, but it has an old style look and feel. I replaced the head cover on my hybrid, but I have left this on as I want people to ask me about this brand of club. 

• What features do you really like, and would most like to see continued or evolved in future models? I like the simple easy on the eyes looks. The ease of adjustability is fantastic, This I hope stays. Some engineers want to make changes just for change, Change is not always good or needed. If it isn't broke don't fix it, tune it up sure but no need to revamp anything. 

The Good, the bad, the in between ( 4 out of 5 stars)

The good is a long list that I hope I listed out above. The bad is the club head cover and that is nit picking at best. The only in-between would be the swing and that isn't fair to ding the club for being a 15 handicap. 

Play it or Trade it? (5 out of 5 stars)

Absolutely want to fit this in my bag and keep it there. I feel like I should take a point off for them making such a good club and making me re-work the top end of my bag. 

Conclusion

I had very high expectations for this club. I have Sub70 699 pro Irons and a 3 hy. These perform tremendously well for me and I expect the same from the 949x 4 wood, It does not disappoint. A workable club even for a borderline hack as myself at a 15/16 hdcp. Very easy to hit starting at the range mats, to turf, fairway and then from the rough. To me this club gives me confidence in that I am able to pull of shots to get me out of trouble and save strokes one my game and we can all use that. I do plan to keep this in my bag and I have mentioned a few times that I now need to re-work the top end of my bag. I did have to make adjustments from the stock settings. This is an easy adjustment and I believe thought and care went into the design/system to make it so. My advice to anyone looking for a 4 wood that this be their first stop. 

OEM's are easier to find and try out sure, but is it really worth the money to say I play the (pick whatever brand) rather than have a club that is as good if not better for less money? My opinion is no, I am good with an off brand club that's works, cost less and now I can take that money and put to a different use. 

Final Score (28 out of 30 stars)

I  took 1 point from first impressions as the shaft and head combo took some time to get used to. Not their fault as I gave them 2 options of shafts to choose from, but it still caught me off guard. 

I took one point off from GOOD, Bad, and in between. The club head cover needs a re-due. This does not affect the club performance one bit, but it is still part of the club and experience. 

I will post some data over the summer and how I am going to fit this club in my bag. If anyone has questions please ask away. 

Thank you to MGS for continuing their efforts in getting information to all of us on all things golf. 

Thank you to Sub70 for providing us with products to the readers of MGS. Keep up the great work.

Sub 70 949 D 9* HZRUDS 60G 6.5 smoke RDX shaft. 

Sub 70 949X 4 wood ALDILA ABV 65-S shaft

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW 

Sub 70 3 utility 19*

Callaway 56 and 58 wedge. 

OG White Hot #1 putter

Link to review
Aesthetics
The Numbers
On The Course
Play it or Trade it?

The Review (updated 5/26/2022)

Sub70 949X 5 Wood  – Official MGS Forum Review by @MrBandit

Sub70 949X  - Intro

I have been golfing for the past 18yrs, started after leaving the military and moving to San Francisco, I never expected to play golf. Everyone in my office played golf and they took me to a par 3 course in San Francisco and I remembering making par on the 4 hole (easy game, LOL) have been hook since.
Once I moved back to NYC, I began to play more and become more competitive and really get hooked on the game. Now living in Texas, my game as become more consistent as I get the play year-round vs 6 months a year when I was in NYC.
Started playing in some of the US AM Tour tournaments again, and this has help my confidence and concentration since every shot counts and cannot just waste a shot if I was just playing around with friends.

My game – Currently at 8.4 HC, up and down, struggle with concentration in the middle of the round causing silly mistakes, which escalates those numbers quickly. Hence my scores fluctuating from 77 to 87.  Chipping and putting has help keep my rounds under control, getting up and down from around the greens. Which I considered that my strength of my game.  I struggle at times with my mid irons, but I compensate with my wedge game and putting.

My driving accuracy has improved when I switch over to the new TaylorMade Stealth HD 9.0 a few months ago, put the same Nippon NS Regio MB+ 65 shaft I have been using since last year. which help keep the ball in the fairway and eliminating one side of the fairway. Distance has improve coming from the TourEdge Exotic Pro. 

Looking forward to adding a 5 Wood to my bag and replacing the 3Wood. I come to the realization am a man of a certain age now with excessive mileage that going for the green in 2 is not going to be in the cards very often and play to my strength of wedge game into the greens.
Am expecting great things from this Sub70 949X.

First Impressions  (5 out of 5 Stars)

Packaging hits the mark, Black box with Sub70 branding catches the eye right away. Inside the box, hand written note thanking for the purchase and to enjoy the product. Inside comes with adjusting tool, Sub70 ball Marker and sticker.
In the pouch it comes with additional weight to be able to adjust as need it.

The 5 wood is stunning when looking down on it, carbon head reflects up nicely. The 5 wood sits well at address. Smaller head , just slightly bigger than my TE 3 Hybrids. Its a confident look when addressing the ball.
The Hzrdus 60G Shaft really makes you feel you are swinging faster and not feeling like you are out of control.

Took it out on range briefly to give it a try, and the sound was solid, good penetrating ball flight, and it was consistent ball flight and center strikes. Swing the club felt confident and sturdy. 
Sub70 claims their utilizing nascent technologies to improve ball flight, trajectory, and spin, which I could tell. Since it comes with additional 6 &12 gram weights it will allow you to adjust the ball flight even further. Am happy with the standard setup right now.  Straight ball all day.

The I took it out to the course for the first time, in the late after noon and the hits off the tee and off the fairway are solid, its a fairway finder for about 205-210 yds consistently. This will give you the confidence that you can hit that tight fairway and keep it in play. I need to get more reps, I haven't really gone after it, its has been solid strikes(so far) every time which was a happy surprise. Usually with 3 wood you have the tendency to top it at times or flare it right . This was down the middle every time.

Aesthetics (5 out of 5 Stars)  

• General Shape – Small head, just a little larger than a 3Hybrid and smaller than your 3wood.
  • Graphics/Badging – Simple clean graphic on bottom of the head, #5, 949x and sub 70 logo.
  • How does the overall look come together? – the club looks sharp; it looks like you will smash it every time.
  • How does the appearance compare to other clubs in the same category? Its clean looking, carbon head looks stunning at address. It’s a good-looking club, plain and simple with no extra flare.
  • Other unique details – 2 weights to allow you change characteristics of the club performance.
  • Are they flashy? Do other players notice them in your bag without being prompted?
    Club Is not flashy while in the bag, head cover black with the white sub70 diamond logo.
    People have commented on the sound and consistency of club
  • Sound: Sound is a solid, not dull but you can tell if you hit it.
  • It feels consistent even on mis-hits. You can tell if you hit it on the toe or heel but out of the ordinary.

20220501_151622.jpg

20220501_151609.jpg

20220430_163155.jpg

344122021_20220430_164506(1).jpg

20220501_153917.jpg

The Numbers (4 out of 5 stars) 

• Accuracy – by far one of the most accurate woods I have ever hit. If you don’t like straight this is not for you.
  • Distance – Consistently between 215-230 yds.
  • Trajectory – High and landed soft, but also you can hit low, it was great to have that option.
  • Forgiveness – One thing that was very impressive was the miss hits, either toe, heel, high or low the club was consistently straight. You will lose some yards from non-center hits but it was nothing that will discourage you from hitting the club. I found to be a solid fairway finder with enough distance to give you to the opportunity to reach the green.
  • Control – Another thing I notice was how easily was to hit the club, didn’t turn on your hands, it was aim and swing and you was on target. Built tons of confidence the more I used the club.
  • Workability – This could be the only downside of this club, it was pretty much straight, I had to go way out of the way to try to cut the ball (which I like to do)So I had to settle (happily) to be a straight club.

On-Course (5 out of 5 stars)

While on the course this where the club really shine, when you had to hit the shot, fairway, get to the right distance. Out of 7 rounds with this club only once it didn’t perform and this was only because of user error, not the club fault.

I was able to get to comfortable distance with the 5 Wood, longest 235yds, but it was steady between 215-230yds. Hitting High straight shots that landed softly, miss hits that went straight and out of harm’s way. The more I used the club the more confident it was bringing me to pull it when I need it a 220-230yds shot knowing that I was going to get the desired results.

Long par 3 that were 200-215yds, it was nice to hit this club with confidence that I can hit high, and it would land softly on target.

Par 5 is the main reason I went with the 5 wood, as i have realized that a lot of the par5 I play I could no longer reach it 2, that I could instead place myself in situation to have a wedge in hand to be able to attach the flag when possible. And it works as intended, it gave me better opportunities to score since I knew I was in a preferred yardage. I didn’t have to scramble because my 3 wood went left or right or not long enough and had to recover from not favorable spots.

Final Performance Comments:

• Overall, how did it perform? Over performed expectation
  • Did it help improve your scores? It improves my scoring by at least 2shots, specially on the par 5 since I was using wedges for my 3 shot on every Par 5
  • How, if at all, did this product change your overall impression of the OEM? Performance of the club made me start thinking about other clubs from SUB70, with the current performance of the 5 wood.
  • What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model? Nothing.

The Good, the bad, the in between (5 out of 5 stars)

Everything about this process was excellent, from using their fit tools, to asking for specific specs and getting exactly what was requested.
The club exciding expectation on performance and the aesthetics of the club where solid. This is what

This club is 100% Play it, if you haven’t tried it, you are missing out on a steady performer. By far the most consistent club I have ever hit. It will be hard to replace this club from my bag.

Conclusion

Having heard of Sub70 before but never have been able to use one of their products I had reservations on how the Sub70 5 Wood would perform. But from the distinctive packaging and personalized handwritten notes. From the range session to the on-course performance, the club exceeded expectations and made me wonder why I didn’t try them before and now made me thing about looking into their other products ie. hybrids or even 3 wood (not that am using mine currently, because of the 5 wood) but it made me wonder If I need to reconsider replacing my current one with a Sub70.
I’m very happy that I got the opportunity from GolfSpy to test and review this club and I would simply say if you consistency and performance Sub70 should be in your options.

Final Score (29 out of 30 stars)

Driver:   TaylorMade Qi10 MAX - 8.5 with Fujikura Speeder NX TCS 50  (secondary shaft HRDZ Black 6.0 Stiff)
3 -Wood:  Sub70 949x 3 Wood 15 with Hrdz RDX Black Stiff
5-Wood:  Sub70 949x 5 Wood with Hrdz RDX Black stiff
4-Hybrid: Sub70 949x 4 Hybrid with Project X 5.5 Hybrid Stiff
Irons: Mizuno Pro 225 - 6-PW , w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges: Sub70 TAIII w/Nippon Modus 105 Stiff - 50 ,56, 60
Putter: L.A.B Mezz1, 34 in
Balls: MaxFli Tour X, TaylorMade Tour Response, TaylorMade TPx 
GPS:   Shot Scope X5 with Tracking

TESTED: SUB70 949X 5 Wood
TESTED: NIPPO N.S. Regio Formula MB+ 65 Stiff.
TESTED: SkyCaddie LX5 GPS Watch
TESTED: Bag Boy ZFT Bag

Link to review
Aesthetics
The Numbers
On The Course
Play it or Trade it?

Introduction for Sub70 949 Fairway

Added First Impressions

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/tests/29-sub70-949x-fairway/?do=findComment&comment=8373

Final Review

OK, here we are, about 3 weeks later, and the short answer to any question is Yes, this club will be in the bag for the foreseeable future.  Now to the details.

After those first few outings, I kept the Sub70 in the bag over a number of rounds.  Some were normal club rounds, a couple were more serious inter-club matches.  I mentioned in my introduction, I was interested in this review opportunity because both my 3-wood (Titleist 915F) and hybrid (Titleist 816 H2) are about 6 or 7 years old, and I've been considering replacing both.  The Sub70 5-wood seemed like a potential replacement for the hybrid, I was hoping for similar distance (200 yards or so) and higher ball flight.  So I used the 5-wood everywhere I might have used the hybrid, and a few more besides.  It was a bit of a journey for me, I made similar mistakes to those I made with previous club changes, I swung harder and expected more.  That doesn't work for me, and probably doesn't work for most people.  I found that I could hit tremendous hooks by setting up just a little too far away and catching the ball towards the toe.  This club CANNOT fix bad swings.  

Then I settled down, started making normal swings with proper set-ups.  And like magic, the ball started to fly reasonably straight, reasonably high, and consistent distances.  I wasn't magically hitting every shot in the center of the clubface, but I wasn't near as far off as on some of my earlier swings.  And the more I relaxed, the better the shots became.  I wasn't sure what to expect from the rough, but the seems to glide through the grass, and the ball jumps up pretty well.  I'm now hitting it pretty straight to a slight draw, consistently hitting fairways and/or greens, I'm really pleased.  

On to the ratings:

Aesthetics - 5 of 5

Its simply a good looking club, nothing flashy, nothing complicated, just solid.  I'm a pretty traditional guy, and this club looks pretty traditional to me.  The carbon fiber for the club body is the “new normal”, and I like it.  No alignment dot or logo, that's just fine.  The sole is also fairly simple, and I like that, fancy graphics don't help to hit the ball.  The sound is solid, a nice subdued click.  The feel is consistently solid, even on those god-awful hooks I was hitting originally.  I can feel the off-center, but its not real harsh.

The Numbers – 5 of 5

I'm usually more of a on-course guy, but there's a new indoor Trackman Simulator facility near me, so I booked a half-hour there.  I ended up spending an hour hitting, no additional charge, a big thanks to https://www.tapinleesburg.com/.  I hit a few different clubs, but concentrated on my hybrid and the Sub70 5-wood.  I feel like the distances are a little less than “reality”, with reality being based not (as much) on my ego but on real distances on the golf course.  But I think the trends are probably accurate.  I've edited out a few obvious mishits, but the figures show the results.  Based on the Trackman numbers, the 5-wood is about 5 yards longer than the hybrid, and has an apex about 10 feet higher.

604342794_hybridtrajectory.jpg.aae011bb9364a87698b02afafe6582df.jpg

105243475_5-woodtrajectory.jpg.0336dd26bc74a747eb8889f1fbe1ae95.jpg1564564460_comparativetrajectory.jpg.ee4c5d8aecf3c1116c40b69b18799165.jpg

Dispersion seems a little wider with the 5-wood, but I hit more shots with it.  Take away those two wild shots to the right, and the patterns are pretty similar. 

dispersion.jpg.0512b65250172804d6cdeebf4a9e0161.jpg

In short, I got just the performance I hoped for.

On the Course – 5 of 5

Hitting off a smooth mat in a Trackman simulator is one thing, but what matters is on-course performance.  I'm pretty happy with the 5-wood.  I've hit it from a tee on par-3 holes, level lies, uphill and (less often) downhill lies, ball above and below my feet.  I've played from the fairway and from the rough.  Generally, I'd say the 5-wood is easier to hit solidly and get flying than the hybrid, especially from light to moderate rough.  Reasonable mishits still flew straight enough, with little loss of distance.  I honestly have not a single complaint, the club simply works.  Its not magic, it doesn't make up for poor decisions of poor swings, but if I do my job, the club does its job.  Facing a 200-yard par-3, I can pull this and believe I am GOING to hit the green.  

The Good, the Bad, the In-Between - 5 of 5

I'm not sure what all belongs here, but I've considered a few things about the company and their business model.  One drawback to Sub70, and other DTC clubs, is that most of us will never be able to hit one before we buy it.  But Sub70 offers a 60-day money back guarantee.  They have a demo program, you can try a club for a nominal cost.  I'm not sure there's anything more they can do to make things work.  The selection of shafts and grips seems pretty good to me.  So Sub70 gets 5 stars, not only for the one club I have, but for the way they do business.

The one suggestion, and I docked a half-star in my initial impressions, I'd prefer paper instructions with the club.  I'd rather not have to find the website to figure out how to add a degree of loft when I'm getting ready to play, I want to have that stored in my golf bag.  

Play it or Trade it?  5 of 5

This club is in my bag for the summer, and probably beyond.  I'm reworking my wedges this Spring too, reducing from 3 clubs to 2, so I'll have a spot to fill at the long end of my bag.  I'll certainly be looking at Sub70, maybe even a 3-wood to replace my current one, and a 7-wood to fill the gap between the 5-wood and my longest iron.

Conclusion

I applied for this Review because I was considering changing out my current hybrid for something that would get me about the same distance, with a little higher ball flight.  I got just that with the Sub70 949x 5-wood, slightly longer distance, noticeably higher ball flight.  Beyond that, its plenty forgiving, and easier to hit from poor lies.  This club is a keeper, and my experience will definitely lead me to consider Sub70 clubs in the future.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Link to review
Aesthetics
The Numbers
On The Course
Play it or Trade it?

The Review (updated 5/8/2022)

Sub70 949X 3 Wood  – Official MGS Forum Review by @pakman92

Link to Personal Introduction

First Impression, Aesthetics and build quality (4.8 out of 5 Stars)

My Sub70 949x 3 wood arrived via UPS in a very classy looking black box.  The Club was very well secured with foam blocks placed strategically inside the box with cut outs for club(s) to fit into.   Inside I found a hand-written note which I felt was a very nice touch.  Something I would not expect from a large established brand.   Also included in the packaging was a ball marker, a Sub70 sticker, a head cover, a torque wrench, and a couple of weights, 6 gram and 12 gram.   Ripping the shrink wrap off the cover revealed a very clean, simple, and compact looking head.  I liked how the top of the head was void of any markings.   The subtly visible carbon fiber weave pattern looked in harmony with the similar pattern on the HZRDUS Evenflow Riptide shaft I chose.   Lamkin 360 grip in grey added a little contrast to otherwise completely black club.   Overall, I was very impressed with the looks.  I wasn’t sure I would like it based on the pictures I had seen, but it looked very classy in real life.   Closely examining the head, I found the build quality to be excellent.  There were absolutely no blemishes with the paint work.   The painted parts and the non-painted areas were smooth in transition.  I also liked how the adjustable hosel did not have a separate cosmetic ferrule.  They can slip down sometimes.  I give aesthetics as well build quality 4.8 out of 5 stars.  I did not care for the look of the head cover.  It looked rather cheap and blah.   I never keep OEM headcovers, so no big deal.  I felt the white scoring lines stood out a little too much against otherwise very clean looking head.  I'm knit picking here. 

I was happy to find that the club sat near square at address (only very slightly open).  Many of the 3 woods I have tried in the past sat naturally open which caused me to manipulate the heads with my hands to get them to be square at address rather than being able to let them rest naturally on the turf.   For that reason, my current 3 wood, Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood, has the hosel setting that closes the face angle a couple of degrees.  From the Sub70 website, I found that "-1" setting is for closing the face angle by one degree.  I made the adjustment immediately before hitting any balls, I found that it sat perfectly square for me which will inspire a lot of confidence at address for sure.   I think I prefer the way the club sat with "-1" setting just a little better, so I will be starting my testing with that setting.  

5_7_2022 11_55_52 PM800.png

I took the swings with the Sub70 off the mat for the first impression part of the review. The Sub70 felt nice in my hands, I could feel that it was a little heavier in my hands probably due to the 70 gram class Evenflow Riptide I have in it vs the 60 gram class Evenflow green I have in my Callaway.   I prefer a smaller compact sized head when hitting off the turf (or mat) and Sub70 definitely fit that bill.   I made solid contact with all 9 swings which is almost unusual for me with a 3 wood.   The sound was a satisfying thud.  It was not clicky or pingy which can be off pudding.   I was launching them a bit low and distance suffered a bit because of it.  A couple which hit I solid felt very good.  The low mishits flew further than I expected.  I wanted to add some flair to the first impression part of the review so, I took those first 9 shots on Pebble Beach 18th hole just past the big tree in the middle of the fairway about 225 yards to the pin.  I sprayed them a bit, but like I said, I was impressed that I made decent contact with all 9 swings.  I had planned on hitting 10 shots, but the 9th shot was too good so I decided to end it there. Here's the link to the video First Shots with the Sub70 949X 3 wood (Edited:  Added Trimmed video below)

To summarize, at first glance, I was very impressed with Sub70 949x 3wood.   I plan to hit many more shots with it and my current gamer to provide comparison data both on and off the tee.   (Update: 5/7/22) I had a chance to put it in play today at Pinehills - Jones course in Plymouth, MA.  It was a very tough day with 20-30mph sustained winds with stronger gusts and wind chill of low 40's.   Needless to say, I didn't dare go for any par 5 in 2.  But, I had a chance to hit it off the tee on the second hole with it.   I hit a tight little draw that must have been wind-aided on a firm fairway which Arccos recorded a 263 yards. (See pic below)

arccos3woodshot.png

The Numbers (4.5 of 5 stars)

I had a chance to hit 60 shots each with the Sub70 3 wood and my gamer, Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood spread out over multiple weeks on my launch monitor.  Below is a video summarizing the result.     

As described in the video, Sub70 excelled both on the tee as well as off the deck.  Only reason for 4.5 stars instead of 5 was because of the few yards of loss in carry when hitting off the deck.  However, I was so much more accurate with the Sub70 and the Evenflow Riptide combo than my Callaway Epic Flash, there was really no comparison.   Apart from dispersion/accuracy differences, most of the metric were similar including launch angle, peak height and spin rate. See below for summarized results.  I attribute my success with the sub70 partially to how comfortable I felt withe the way the head sat.  I didn't have to manipulate the club in anyway which gave me a ton of confidence.  Clear winner!

Off the Tee - Sub70 had tighter dispersion, much more on-line and has equal distance vs Callaway

image.png.76b78aa7fa0bd84b0e500e3c72551d85.png

Off the Deck - Sub70 had tighter dispersion but was 4 yards shorter (carry) on average

image.png.6cd93462e920b38efc528341df572155.png

Data in numeric format - key differences circled in red

image.png

On The Course  (4?? out of 5 stars)

Unfortunately, I've only had limited opportunities to collect data using Arcos and Sub70.  I certainly feel much more confidence wielding the sub70 over the Callaway.  It has already replaced my Callaway in the bag which will soon find its way to ebay.  Be on the lookout for a used Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood in great condition!   I will have more opportunities to put MY sub70 in play over the coming weeks and I will update the rating at that point.  

The good, the bad and the in-between (3 out of 5 stars)

Would I buy another sub70 949x wood if mine was lost or stolen?  Yes, absolutely.  Would I have ever bought a sub70 949x wood w/o having had this testing experience?  Absolutely not.   There is the rub.   Without the ability to test it out firsthand in some fashion (fitting, store hitting bay, etc.), it will be difficult to make the leap.    Will I buy a 5 wood to go with the 3 wood if I ever decide to add a 5 wood to my bag?  Possibly.  Will I buy a Sub70 Driver or an iron set?  Probably not.    While this is a great club (especially in my case), I don't know that I have bought into direct-to-consumer-without-ever-seeing-the-club model. 

It's already in my bag and I foresee that it will stay there for a long time.     

• 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Max LS 11.5° (10.5°+1) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6 stiff
  • 99422724_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.e67bdb8f7e6eea7baa71ca677594bbde.jpgEpic Flash 3 Wood 17° (15°+2) w/ Project X Even Flow Green 60 stiff
  • 943183396_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.391f8ed5e36869c949eb3a241d2a750d.jpgSuper Hybrid 21° (20°+1) w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 80 stiff
  • 518011180_Screenshot2021-12-24001914.jpg.f52e8c7ce28e9a854c65b04b28450163.jpgRogue Hybrid 5 (24°) w/ Aldila Synergy 60 HYB Graphite stiff
  •   Screenshot 2021-12-24 002411.jpg2021 P790 Irons 5-AW (1° flat, weakened lofts) w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95 cw regular
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgCBX2 Wedges 54°, 58° w/ True Temper DG 115 Wedge flex
  • 467311891_Screenshot2021-12-24002654.jpg.3c87f11fa77f127a10ed922bdcbbcc69.jpgOdyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab, 33 in
  • 1360869533_Screenshot2021-12-24002835.jpg.38d6fb8915a5bd0b37b4bbec950f4c64.jpgPro V1
  • bushnell_launchpro_logos_medium.jpg.7df9dcd404a46928e3850d1e1335e4e3.jpgBushnell Launch Pro
Link to review

48 Comments

Intro:
Hello Folks, I am extremely honored to have been chosen for this test. This forum is filled with many many talented golfers and writers all of whom are as or more deserving than I to get this privilege. If anyone has questions or comments please feel free to ask. I hope I can help those of you wanting this club make a better informed buying decision.

I am currently sitting at 15.6 hdcp. I feel I am on the cusp of getting closer to single digits and hoping this club will help. I am a longer hitter than the average golfer, not sure how or why just been that way for as long as I can remember. Sometimes it pays off, other times it doesn't due to poor decision making or more like poor execution. I was playing clubs off the shelf and never had them fitted. I bought a new set last August (Sub70 699 pro's). I made a trip back to Sycamore, ILL and had then adjusted. I've been making progress in the correct direction ever since.

When the test opportunity came up for this club I immediately signed up as I love my clubs. I am hoping the 4 wood I choose will fit my needs and fill a gap and earn a spot in my bag. No freebies as my expectations are high and as someone who deals with fairness in games, this will be no different. Flags will be thrown and penalties called if something is foul. I have a rapsodo LM and also hope to get some sim time in for better number comparisons.

Living in the PNW it's usually wet from Oct-April but to me it's better than 95 -120 from April to Nov. Weather is getting nice, days are longer which is awesome for getting more practice and play time in.  Let’s Roll

Sub70 949X  - Intro

Once again, I’m back with a review, one of the lucky few selected to review the Sub70 Fairway Woods. Thanks to Sub70 for providing the clubs, and to MyGolfSpy for selecting me.

An introduction to me, I'm a 66-year old Geotechnical Engineer, living in the Washington DC suburbs. I’m easing into retirement, working only two days a week in the office, playing a bit more golf. I’m also becoming active as a Rules Official, volunteering with both the VSGA and the MAPGA.

I've been playing golf since I was a teenager, so I have something over 50 years of experience. I was largely a hacker, maybe a 15-handicap at best until I joined the club in the early 90s. Since then, with the help of a couple of lessons, a good bit of practice, and lots of play, I've become much better, currently a 8 handicap. I love to play and love even more to compete. Lucky for me, my wife is the same kind of lunatic as I am.

A quick equipment summary: I just replaced my driver over the winter of 2018/2019. Through a fitting session at Mid South in Pinehurst, I ended up with a Calloway Rogue SubZero with Graphite Design YS-Six shaft. Irons are Titleist T200 (reviewed for MGS), with Vokey wedges of various ages. Putter is an old Ping G5i (with the blue inserts) B-60.

As I mentioned, I'm a single-digit handicap, current with a 6.7 index. I generally keep the ball in play, hit a fair number of greens. Long irons are decent, short irons are generally good, short game and putting have been pretty solid recently.

I’m not a power player, driver swing speed is just under 100 mph. Like many people, with increasing experience (age really) my speed is decreasing. Long irons are becoming more difficult to hit, even my current 21° hybrid doesn’t fly like it once did. I’ve been considering a change to a lofted wood to replace the hybrid, which is the reason I applied to do this review. Sub70 clubs have been on my radarSo I’ve selected a 5-wood to try, something I hope can give me a higher launch and softer landing, while maintaining something like a 190 to 200 yard carry.  Sub70 was definitely on my radar for this, based on experiences of several of the members at my club with Sub70 products, so I was really glad to see this testing opportunity come up.

On 4/22/2022 at 10:25 AM, MrBandit said:

I come to the realization am a man of a certain age now with excessive mileage that going for the green in 2 is not going to be in the cards very often

One thing I am open to is the possibility that a higher launch could actually produce similar distance between an "old" 3 wood and a modern 5 wood.  Time will tell!

Sub70 949X  - Intro

In my youth, I’ve always thought of golf as a pseudo-sport enjoyed exclusively by the privileged few.   This was certainly how the sport was perceived, presumed, and perpetuated in South Korea where I spent my childhood.  After moving to the US in my early teens, not much changed regarding my view of Golf until my late 20’s when… boom…  Tiger came on the scene. Golf no longer seemed to be the sport of the elite.  Soon followed Seri Pak (who happen to share my sir-name) with her dramatic win at the US Woman’s open.   I have been absolutely hooked on the sport since.   The 10-year break from the sport while my kids were growing up was painful.  I’m in my early 50’s now living in a suburb of Boston fully emersed in all things golf.   That includes daily practice with my launch monitor, counting minutes until my next round and obsessing about my gear.   I suppose that’s why we can all call ourselves, spies.  Despite my obsession and apparent dedication to improving, I play to about a 10 handicap.   My strength lies with the driver and short irons.  My Achilles' heel is anything inside 60 yards.   

I’m excited to have been selected a tester.  I truly enjoy digging into the numbers, so I plan to have a very data centric review using my just arrived Bushnell Launch Pro comparing the Sub70 3 wood against my Epic Flash 3 wood.  I bought the Epic Flash 3 wood a couple of months ago for around the same price as a new Sub70.   As such, I hope my review would also serve as a value proposition comparison between a brand new direct-to-consumer club against a similarly priced used mainstream OEM club.

On 4/27/2022 at 2:34 PM, DaveP043 said:

Thanks to Sub70 for providing the clubs, and to MyGolfSpy for selecting me.

Glad you were able to fill in my spot. I had some stuff come up and was not able to accept the selection for this test. I look forward to seeing how this test goes and hope this club fills that 190-200 yard spot you are looking at! 

4 minutes ago, The 19th Hole said:

Glad you were able to fill in my spot. I had some stuff come up and was not able to accept the selection for this test. I look forward to seeing how this test goes and hope this club fills that 190-200 yard spot you are looking at! 

While I am certainly happy to have this opportunity, I'm saddened a that at came at your expense.  With luck, you'll get another chance in the very near future.

Just now, DaveP043 said:

While I am certainly happy to have this opportunity, I'm saddened a that at came at your expense.  With luck, you'll get another chance in the very near future.

Its all good! I am happy to pass along the joy of testing. I got to do one a while back for a mygolfspy on a Tour Edge Hybrid and it has since been one of the best clubs in my bag. Hopefully the same goes for you on this test. 

Out on the range on Sunday to test out the new Sub70 949X 5 Wood, felt solid and carbon fiber head looks great. At address looks square.
Need to get back to the range and compare distance between by 3Hybrid and the 5Wood, felt it was about the same.. again it was a small sample.
More pictures on the Review page.
20220501_151622.jpg.a6b4693e85608a5d1b973e3b03e2ff07.jpg20220501_151609.jpg.703e965c9ea804de79dd8c07ca6397ff.jpg

38 minutes ago, MrBandit said:

Out on the range on Sunday to test out the new Sub70 949X 5 Wood, felt solid and carbon fiber head looks great. At address looks square.
Need to get back to the range and compare distance between by 3Hybrid and the 5Wood, felt it was about the same.. again it was a small sample.
More pictures on the Review page.
20220501_151622.jpg.a6b4693e85608a5d1b973e3b03e2ff07.jpg20220501_151609.jpg.703e965c9ea804de79dd8c07ca6397ff.jpg

Have you had a chance to use the club yet?

On 5/3/2022 at 9:28 AM, JFish350 said:

Have you had a chance to use the club yet?

Only at the Range, so far.. planning on playing tomorrow evening, should be able to use it on alot of holes I normally would use 3Wood or 3Hybrid.

On 5/6/2022 at 10:01 AM, russtopherb said:

Good first impressions! There's definitely more than a few holes on the Jones course that will give you ample opportunities to use it off the tee and off the deck.

It was a tough day at Pinehills today.  20-30 mhp sustained winds with stronger gusts with wind chill in the low 40's.  None of the par 5's were reachable, but I did get to use Sub70 949x 3 wood on a tee shot.   Hit a beautiful tight draw that was wind-aided on a firm fairway which Arccos recorded 263 yards.   I love the way it looks at address.  I think the heavier shaft I chose is matched up very nicely.   I can't wait to get back to some serious testing with my launch monitor.

image.png

25 minutes ago, pakman92 said:

It was a tough day at Pinehills today.  20-30 mhp sustained winds with stronger gusts with wind chill in the low 40's.  None of the par 5's were reachable, but I did get to use Sub70 949x 3 wood on a tee shot.   Hit a beautiful tight draw that was wind-aided on a firm fairway which Arccos recorded 263 yards.   I love the way it looks at address.  I think the heavier shaft I chose is matched up very nicely.   I can't wait to get back to some serious testing with my launch monitor.

image.png

Jones or Nicklaus? I need to get back there this year!

sounds like the sub70 is off to a great start!  And yeah… the wind was serious today. The kids baseball games featured multiple guys and lots of dust clouds from my players playing with dirt. Haha

20 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

Jones or Nicklaus? I need to get back there this year!

sounds like the sub70 is off to a great start!  And yeah… the wind was serious today. The kids baseball games featured multiple guys and lots of dust clouds from my players playing with dirt. Haha

It's was Jones.  It was tough.   One of my playing partner who has too much backspin on his driver had one that looked like it was coming back as it was coming down.    Sub70 is great.   I'm just about to post my initial data with it on video....   I'll add the traditional write up as well.  I hope the traditionalists don't bark too hard.

First Impressions - 4.5 of a possible 5 stars

My first impression was a rather hurried one.  I know the club was arriving last Saturday, but I was playing in an interclub match at the opposing club, and then going to a party.  So I arrived home after golf with just enough time to run through the shower, comb my hair, and leave immediately.  In between, I was this box in the entry hall, and was impressed by the clean graphics and sharp presentation.

20220430_211020-a.jpg.6648658cb1f329cad7c3f9d88c1be341.jpg

But that's all I could do, didn't even open the box until the next day.  When I finally did open it, I found club securely nestled in foam spacers.  Included in the box were the adjustment wrench, two additional weight screws (one 6 and one 12-g), a package of tees, a nice ball marker, and a Sub70 sticker.  There was a nice handwritten “thank you” note, and a post-card size ad for theSub70 Trade-In program.  One thing that seemed odd, there were no directions explaining the customizable hosel settings or the weight screws.  The information is available on the website, but I'm an old guy, I like stuff on paper.
20220501_074542a.jpg.b1a913d99ee9cf99f886501358597259.jpg

On to the club itself, inside the sharp leather-feel head cover.  First impression of the club itself, it looks good.  Solid black on top, no alignment dot or arrow.
20220508_105900a.jpg.d2b70b76ddc3ebf3e1b95a91c90744f1.jpg

It soles up behind the ball very nicely, it just looks like it will be easy to hit.  By the time I had opened everything and taken a few photos, it was time to head off to the golf course for my Sunday death match (against my wife, we always play a match when we play together)

After warming up, I hit a few shots on the range with the Sub70.  Based on those few swings, I liked the launch angle, the carry trajectory, and the slight draw I was hitting.  Distance seemed pretty good.  And next, on to the course.....

20220501_074059a.jpg

First Impression Score - 4.5 of 5 Stars, I really would prefer some written instructions.  Other than that, it couldn't have been a better start.

Adding to first impressions.  The first time I took the Sub70 to the course was for a practice round prior to the VSGA Senior Fourball qualifying.  Warming up, it went fine, I liked the ball flight, distance appeared to be good.  But on the course, the club felt light, I didn't have a feel for where the clubhead was.  Initial concerns was that the 60g shaft I chose was too light for me.  So this one went in the trunk, my old hybrid was in the bag for the competition round.  The following weekend was a complete washout, understandable to anyone who watched the Wells Fargo, pretty close to my home.

This week is a different matter.  Before Tuesday Men's League, I traded out a 9g weight for a 12g, understanding that 3g in the clubhead is not too far from 7 to 10 g in shaft weight, as far as swingweight is concerned.  The club felt better in warmups, so it was in the bag.  This is just 9 holes, but I had 3 occasions to hit it during the round.  Hole 3, 210 out (downhill) on a par 5, I hit it green-high left, good trajectory.  Hole 6, 196 yard par 3 into a slight breeze, I hit it just about pin-high, with only about 6 feet of roll out.  Today, just playing for fun at a nearby club, I again hit it 3 or 4 times.  Nice high trajectory, maybe 20-foot higher apex than my hybrid, solid distance. I'm starting to feel pretty good with the Sub70.  I need to get some time with a launch monitor, get some numbers to compare to my previous "200-yard club".  

comparative trajectory.jpg

dispersion.jpg

hybrid trajectory.jpg

5-wood trajectory.jpg

Sorry I have been AWOL, it's been a busy week since I received my new 4 wood last Tuesday. I have had a lacrosse game every day and worked a tournament over the weekend (9 games officiated). 

Now it really isn't a secret, but I have Sub 70 699 pro clubs.  So my expectations of delivery and how they are shipped and received. I was curious if it would show up any different since this is a test/review. I can tell you it showed up just like my 699's did. Perfectly packaged, wrapped, with all the fixens. Tool, different weights, signed card, club head cover etc. 

When I sent in my wants I gave them an option of 2 shafts. They sent me the Alida green shaft which took a few minutes to adjust too. 

I went to the range Wednesday to hit some balls. I tweaked my back at some point and could only hit a half a dozen or so.  Hoping I can get back tomorrow to hit a few more to give it a fair shake at actual use. 

My first impression of the box, shipping and presentation was what I expected from past experience. I'll hold off on the star rating til I get a chance to use the club.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

IMG_2073.jpg

IMG_2075.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2077.jpg

Played on Sunday, and try to hit the Sub70 5 wood as much as possible, it was still pretty consistently straight. Even my playing partner like the sound and the contact I was making with the ball. Again, its been a fairway finder. Hit it against the wind a few times and I like the penetrating ball flight. 

Review of preliminary Data with a Launch Monitor.   See below.   On the Review Tab, I've updated the initial impression with additional feedback on aesthetics and build quality. https://forum.mygolfspy.com/tests/29-sub70-949x-fairway/?do=findReview&review=97

The Numbers (?TBD?out of 5 stars)

I had a chance to hit 20 shots each with the Sub70 3 wood and my gamer, Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood spread out over a couple of days on my launch monitor.  Here's the early preview of the data in a short video.  The thumbnail kind of tells the story.  Sorry for the crappy audio quality, crackle disappears after the first minute.  I will do a proper write-up once I hit more shots on turf and on tee.

On 5/8/2022 at 10:12 AM, DaveP043 said:

First Impressions - 4.5 of a possible 5 stars

My first impression was a rather hurried one.  I know the club was arriving last Saturday, but I was playing in an interclub match at the opposing club, and then going to a party.  So I arrived home after golf with just enough time to run through the shower, comb my hair, and leave immediately.  In between, I was this box in the entry hall, and was impressed by the clean graphics and sharp presentation.

20220430_211020-a.jpg.6648658cb1f329cad7c3f9d88c1be341.jpg

But that's all I could do, didn't even open the box until the next day.  When I finally did open it, I found club securely nestled in foam spacers.  Included in the box were the adjustment wrench, two additional weight screws (one 6 and one 12-g), a package of tees, a nice ball marker, and a Sub70 sticker.  There was a nice handwritten “thank you” note, and a post-card size ad for theSub70 Trade-In program.  One thing that seemed odd, there were no directions explaining the customizable hosel settings or the weight screws.  The information is available on the website, but I'm an old guy, I like stuff on paper.
20220501_074542a.jpg.b1a913d99ee9cf99f886501358597259.jpg

On to the club itself, inside the sharp leather-feel head cover.  First impression of the club itself, it looks good.  Solid black on top, no alignment dot or arrow.
20220508_105900a.jpg.d2b70b76ddc3ebf3e1b95a91c90744f1.jpg

It soles up behind the ball very nicely, it just looks like it will be easy to hit.  By the time I had opened everything and taken a few photos, it was time to head off to the golf course for my Sunday death match (against my wife, we always play a match when we play together)

After warming up, I hit a few shots on the range with the Sub70.  Based on those few swings, I liked the launch angle, the carry trajectory, and the slight draw I was hitting.  Distance seemed pretty good.  And next, on to the course.....

20220501_074059a.jpg

First Impression Score - 4.5 of 5 Stars, I really would prefer some written instructions.  Other than that, it couldn't have been a better start.

Interested to hear you interpretation of performance of your 5Wood. 
P.S. you don't need extra paper.. lol