Final Reviews: L.A.B Putters

Equipment Type: Putter
Vendor: L.A.B

*Note* Follow along in the new threads for each model *Note*

Please help us congratulate the following testers:

@Shankster @EasyPutter @Bulldog @B_R_A_D_Y @Lmerrick @Samsonite

@bens197 @Dragon3 @revkev @Grand Stranded @thechrisgibbs @GolfSpy_CS

image.png
Ever wanted to be a part of the data MyGolfSpy collects over the course of the season? Welcome to Testers Wanted, where we recruit readers like you for objective feedback on products that roll into HQ throughout the year!

You can say a lot of things about L.A.B. Putters but you certainly can’t say they’re boring. Or conventional. Or even unoriginal. Even the owner calls them "absurd."

Leveraging an approach called "lie angle balancing" (hence L.A.B. Golf) the brand feels it has a technology to help you make more putts.

That said, we need testers like you to assess, and report back to us here at MyGolfSpy!

Important: Each tester will be required to submit a fitting video per L.A.B.'s fitting process and be prepared to provide as much detailed feedback as possible
Want to learn more about MGS Forum tests and how we select our testers? Check out this thread as it has everything and anything you need to know all in one place: MGS Forum How to Become a Tester

192 Comments

2 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

And if anyone needs an appropriate quote from Princess Bride while writing your review, you know who to ask. 😜

I would almost think that between everyone in that thread, we could enact the entire movie in a thread dedicated to PB, but yeah I think we got the quotes covered.

In all honesty, the builds for everyone are what I'm most intrigued in. In DF 2.1 alone there are three heads, three grips, eight shafts and 36 lineup lines for a total of 2592 potential builds at base level, not including length and lie. B.2 has 160 different possibilities and Mezz.1 has 72.

In total, folks have the selection of over 2824 different builds, at standard length style putting, not counting potential armlock or broomstick builds as well.

Let's get weird...

37 minutes ago, Berg Ryman said:

In all honesty, the builds for everyone are what I'm most intrigued in. In DF 2.1 alone there are three heads, three grips, eight shafts and 36 lineup lines for a total of 2592 potential builds at base level, not including length and lie. B.2 has 160 different possibilities and Mezz.1 has 72.

In total, folks have the selection of over 2824 different builds, at standard length style putting, not counting potential armlock or broomstick builds as well.

Let's get weird...

That was my plan my plan going in @Berg Ryman! Hopefully it plays out the way I hope after the fitting process. If it’s left up to me, I’d like to go completely off the reservation here, and go with something that I’ve never done before.

My first choice would be the broomstick, then the armlock would be second. Either one of those in a 2.1 head would be a lot of fun to try.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

271 Comments

This is such a unique product.  From it’s paradigm shifting head designs and the fact that they were early adopters of the premium “ultra stable” putting shafts I am intrigued by their willingness to challenge the status quo. Will it prove to be successful?  Or will it be bought up and swallowed by a legacy brand. 

I’ve been so curious about these. I signed up but I’m looking forward to hear what other people say!

thanks for the opportunity

Edit: Oy, I think I just signed up twice. Didn’t mean to do that. 

2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Will be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on these putters.  I’ve had the ability to try all the models and currently have the DF 2.1 in the bag.   Giving it a fair shot but my thoughts are kind of mixed right now. 

Why mixed?  Or would that skew potential testers?

I’m a tech geek (SkyTrak at home, Arrcos on the course) and LAB putter seems to have so much tech/science—everything you’d expect from a Bryson partner. Putting is my Achilles heel and with my straight back and through stroke, the DF.21 or MEZZ.1 could be the cure. It would be interesting to compare my strokes gained (lost more often than not) with my existing putter to the LAB…

Brainstorm Happy putters are modular and make it easy to tweak putter specs. In the process of making a couple new hosels to test if I get along with lie-angle balanced putters and/or broomstick putting. Would be a blast to compare this with my makeshift l.a.b. happy putter

If I had unlimited golf funds I'd have 20 putters right now that I'd rotate through trying to find a hot hand. Maybe LAB is what I need 😂

A couple of my friends have transitioned over to LAB over the last year, all seem pretty happy with the results thus far. The look and feel are definitely interesting, I'd be intrigued to perform some A / B testing on this via my shot scope data dashboards.

I played around with one in a local pro shop and thought it would be interesting to try. I hope I get that opportunity.

I love this putter. Been in the bag for 2 seasons now. From 10 feet in, you have to try to miss. I know how I feel, but can’t wait to see what the testers see

I've used a "T. P. Mills 1" putter for more years than I care to mention.  Having just finished a battle with stage 4 cancer and still being on my last stage of chemo, all I can do right now is practice putting.  I would welcome the chance to give your putter a try.  I live on a golf course and have access to two large, bent grass practice greens.  I really like my T. P. Mills but if I can make more putts with yours, I would change putters in a heartbeat.  Thanks for your consideration.

I have read a few things about this putter and would really like to test it. 
I have far too many 2 & 3 putts with my current putter and would like to see if this putter could put me on par with my playing partners.

I’ve been seeing these on social media a lot lately. Interested to see if the unique geometry/shape affects MOI and overall feel. 

Heard about these a while ago, I think listening to Hank Haney's podcast.  Was intrigued and checked the website.  I don't think I would have a problem at all with the looks of the DF 2.1  - especially if I made a few more per round.

Retired senior golfer who has been a techs for years. Arcos sensors on all clubs including putter. Launch monitors in built basement golf room includes SkyTrak and Accusport. Basement floor includes golf green that runs 10.0 on stimp meter.

Would love the opportunity to test these putters out. I am very interested in them after reading the article. Especially as someone who has trouble getting the face square when putting, and changes putters frequently.  I don’t care what it looks like as long as the ball goes in the hole. 

18 minutes ago, BrownBearGolf said:

Why mixed?  Or would that skew potential testers?

I don’t have a problem with the looks but I am not seeing the performance improvements that others cite in their use.  I am not any worse but not any better.   It is definitely a change to the way I have putted for years.  I never forward pressed and now my setup is completely different because of the built in forward press.    I don’t like the large grip but don’t know if I can swap to one of the smaller grips or will that mess up the lie balance aspect of the putter.  Ball speeds seem slower off the face so I now have to make longer strokes to get distance I am used to.   I am able to better feel face angle/path mistakes and can immediately tell if I pushed or pulled a putt….my guess based on my research is that LAB would say it is because I am getting my hands to engaged in the stroke.  I move the putter with my hands so is that my problem and something I need to change my stroke to be more shoulder driven?  My practice on my ExPutt shows that I have good face and path numbers but not making any more putts in that 6-15 foot range.

I am mixed in my opinion because this putter is forcing me to change a lot about how I putt and I am not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.  I have tried all three models but picked the 2.1 because it was supposed to be the most automatic   

this is strictly my personal findings and shouldn’t influence anyone else as the putter may be perfect for them   

I love experimenting with new putters.  In the last year I bought 5 new putters, all with different characteristics to try and find one that works best for me.  I have a puttering green at home and a putting green at the office, and play everyday the weather is suitable in snowy Idaho.  (our greens still haven't filled in this year yet though).  I would love to test some of these creative designs!

Ever since I read on mygolfspy that my current putter was an abomination that should have never been built….I have wanted a new putter.

I really really want to be part of this test group. I've been following LAB for sometime and the concept is really intriguing but hard to drop the $$ without putting in your hands.