Final Reviews: L.A.B Putters

Equipment Type: Putter
Vendor: L.A.B

*Note* Follow along in the new threads for each model *Note*

Please help us congratulate the following testers:

@Shankster @EasyPutter @Bulldog @B_R_A_D_Y @Lmerrick @Samsonite

@bens197 @Dragon3 @revkev @Grand Stranded @thechrisgibbs @GolfSpy_CS

image.png
Ever wanted to be a part of the data MyGolfSpy collects over the course of the season? Welcome to Testers Wanted, where we recruit readers like you for objective feedback on products that roll into HQ throughout the year!

You can say a lot of things about L.A.B. Putters but you certainly can’t say they’re boring. Or conventional. Or even unoriginal. Even the owner calls them "absurd."

Leveraging an approach called "lie angle balancing" (hence L.A.B. Golf) the brand feels it has a technology to help you make more putts.

That said, we need testers like you to assess, and report back to us here at MyGolfSpy!

Important: Each tester will be required to submit a fitting video per L.A.B.'s fitting process and be prepared to provide as much detailed feedback as possible
Want to learn more about MGS Forum tests and how we select our testers? Check out this thread as it has everything and anything you need to know all in one place: MGS Forum How to Become a Tester

192 Comments

Finally heard back.  They basically said “As long as you are comfortable in that setup, go with it.”   I do wish we would have been able to do the fitting in person with someone and try out different head styles and alignment markings.  But I get them wanting us to be able to give feedback on their online process.

1 hour ago, bens197 said:

Ok…let’s dive in…

This test has been somewhat different than years past.  L.A.B.  And their customer service have been refreshingly open and available to testers.  In contrast to years past and the traditionally accepted practice, they’ve asked us to complete our fitting requests and then submit the order directly to their site.  Now we all have our own accounts with L.A.B. So we can track and follow along.

One thing that was a question until yesterday was, what options are available for upgrades?  Well, from the staff themselves, they want us to feel free to select whatever we believe will work best for ourselves.

No upgrade charges is in my honest opinion, phenomenally generous but also demonstrates their commitment to us receiving the exact product we hope to play.

With that comes a legitimate responsibility to follow through with a comprehensive test.

So with that said, I have a MEZZ.1 with a LA GOLF 135 P that is currently in their system for order.  We’ll see how it progresses from here and any updates we’ll send along…

Holy cats Batman!!! That’s awesome. Way to go LAB!

I can’t begin to explain to everyone what a fun experience this has already been.

We all sent in our online videos earlier in the week, and this afternoon everything started happening really fast, lol. We all got our recommendations and opened accounts on the LAB site, and placed our orders.

I went with the big boy, the 2.1 with a BGT Stability shaft. My recommended specs were 34” and 65*. We get to pick from a menu of exotic shafts and grips, and have about 30 sight line options to choose from. It’s mind boggling building one of these on the site exactly how you want it.
It’s actually was a bit too overwhelming, as I’m waiting to hear back from my fitter about the grip I chose. I want something mid size, akin to a super stroke 2.0 or Matador in size, and want to make sure I ordered the right one. I’m also thinking of switching to a LA shaft. (too many choices…🙄)

One last thing I want to share about how cool a company LAB seems to be. I got a call yesterday from their CS telling me the reason I hadn’t heard anything about my video yet was because their CEO wanted to do my fitting himself! Well, it turned out that didn’t happen, as he was able to get to any fittings today, but how cool would that have been?

Stay tuned guys, this is going to be a blast!

41 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Holy cats is right 🙂

Also, the LA Golf shaft being made in the USA was a cherry on top for me.

Truly awesome; can't wait to hear how this flatstick works out for you and the other testers.

I will say, you'll be challenged to sort and discern between the uniqueness and effectiveness of the putter itself, separately from the benefits of that shaft.  One of the challenges of doing a good putter review I suppose, and a good problem to have.  Have to admit to mild pangs of jealousy, but overall it's great to hear of the company's commitment to the product and the testers.  

6 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Truly awesome; can't wait to hear how this flatstick works out for you and the other testers.

I will say, you'll be challenged to sort and discern between the uniqueness and effectiveness versus the putter itself, separately from the benefits of that shaft.  One of the challenges of doing a good putter review I suppose, and a good problem to have.  Have to admit to mild pangs of jealousy, but overall it's great to hear of the company's commitment to the product and the testers.  

I FOR SURE had this exact thought - some people looking to order may not be able to afford the shaft upgrade options.  As I really prefer a softer-feeling putter, this is one that I would absolutely spring for (the Accra, to be clear) over the standard steel shaft - acknowledging that this will obviously impact that "standard" set-up.  

I will say that I was THIS close to buying one of the putters from the outlet (refurbs, factory-seconds, etc.) before getting chosen for this (thanks again for that, btw) - and I still think that would be a fascinating test - maybe after I get another bonus or something I'll look into that to see what a standard set-up feels/acts like.  My understanding from the website info re: the shaft options is that the LA Golf shaft is VERY resistant to torquing (even more so than the putter by itself), but that the other two (Accra/BGT) are only a little less-resistant to torque, so I feel like it's not a crazy thing to test with the Accra as that would have been my preference if I were ordering as "just me". Meh. I don't know - I hear what you're saying, and I do think it'd be a good test, but my hunch is that the tech of the head is going to be very obvious, whereas if I put the Accra shaft in my Tommy Armour milled Serrano, I wouldn't see nearly the (potential) benefit.

7 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

I FOR SURE had this exact thought - some people looking to order may not be able to afford the shaft upgrade options.  As I really prefer a softer-feeling putter, this is one that I would absolutely spring for (the Accra, to be clear) over the standard steel shaft - acknowledging that this will obviously impact that "standard" set-up.  

I will say that I was THIS close to buying one of the putters from the outlet (refurbs, factory-seconds, etc.) before getting chosen for this (thanks again for that, btw) - and I still think that would be a fascinating test - maybe after I get another bonus or something I'll look into that to see what a standard set-up feels/acts like.  My understanding from the website info re: the shaft options is that the LA Golf shaft is VERY resistant to torquing (even more so than the putter by itself), but that the other two (Accra/BGT) are only a little less-resistant to torque, so I feel like it's not a crazy thing to test with the Accra as that would have been my preference if I were ordering as "just me". Meh. I don't know - I hear what you're saying, and I do think it'd be a good test, but my hunch is that the tech of the head is going to be very obvious, whereas if I put the Accra shaft in my Tommy Armour milled Serrano, I wouldn't see nearly the (potential) benefit.

I'm not saying run a separate test of a standard vs stability/graphite shaft, I'm just saying the shaft upgrade presents an interesting wrinkle.

Somewhat related: f you haven't already, I recommend cruising through this test:

2 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

I'm not saying run a separate test of a standard vs stability/graphite shaft, I'm just saying the shaft upgrade presents an interesting wrinkle.

Somewhat related: f you haven't already, I recommend cruising through this test:

I just found my evening reading 😉 thanks.

3 hours ago, bens197 said:

Ok…let’s dive in…

This test has been somewhat different than years past.  L.A.B.  And their customer service have been refreshingly open and available to testers.  In contrast to years past and the traditionally accepted practice, they’ve asked us to complete our fitting requests and then submit the order directly to their site.  Now we all have our own accounts with L.A.B. So we can track and follow along.

One thing that was a question until yesterday was, what options are available for upgrades?  Well, from the staff themselves, they want us to feel free to select whatever we believe will work best for ourselves.

No upgrade charges is in my honest opinion, phenomenally generous but also demonstrates their commitment to us receiving the exact product we hope to play.

With that comes a legitimate responsibility to follow through with a comprehensive test.

So with that said, I have a MEZZ.1 with a LA GOLF 135 P that is currently in their system for order.  We’ll see how it progresses from here and any updates we’ll send along…

Dude. Just shy of $1,000. Good gracious. Wow!!!!

52F8F175-2025-4337-9116-E9AF7F210B83.png

Not surprised to see L.A.B. is going over the top for you guys. I had some custom requests on my DF 2.1 and they had no trouble accomadating them. 

@Grand Stranded sounds like we're going to have very similar setups. May have missed this, but is anyone going with the Press II grip? As much as I love the L.A.B. itself, I think the grip made the biggest difference in my putting stroke.

8 minutes ago, edingc said:

Not surprised to see L.A.B. is going over the top for you guys. I had some custom requests on my DF 2.1 and they had no trouble accomadating them. 

@Grand Stranded sounds like we're going to have very similar setups. May have missed this, but is anyone going with the Press II grip? As much as I love the L.A.B. itself, I think the grip made the biggest difference in my putting stroke.

Speaking of custom, my old putter measured out at 35.25”, Phillip told me they could make that happen if I wanted. I ended up going with 35.5” anyways, but given the option to go away from their stock offerings, and trust that they’d get it done says a lot.

3 hours ago, edingc said:

May have missed this, but is anyone going with the Press II grip? As much as I love the L.A.B. itself, I think the grip made the biggest difference in my putting stroke.

I ordered the Press II. Looking forward to seeing how it impacts putting,

4 hours ago, Shankster said:

Speaking of custom, my old putter measured out at 35.25”, Phillip told me they could make that happen if I wanted. I ended up going with 35.5” anyways, but given the option to go away from their stock offerings, and trust that they’d get it done says a lot.

I also asked for a 35.25" length, as that's what I've got currently and it feels just about perfect. 

41 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I ordered the Press II. Looking forward to seeing how it impacts putting,

Same here - the Press 2 was the recommended grip for the DF2.1. I am NOT typically a forward-press putter, so this set-up will for sure take some getting used to, but I feel like that's sort of the point - different look, different set-up, (hopefully) different results. 

As the other testers have described the fitting process, I won't repeat the process here, but I'll add a couple of insights.  

First, I used a cheap tripod with a magnetic iPhone holder to make the video.  Super easy to setup and shoot. 

Second, I've seen my full swing in lots of videos.  I've been using Rapsodo for about a 10 months and it records every shot on my iPhone, plus previous lesson videos, and videos taken at the driving range.  However, I have NEVER seen a video of  myself putting.  It has never occurred to me to even make a selfie putting video to see what I look like.  I was surprised 😮 when I saw it.  Pretty much nothing like what it feels like to me.  Kinda looks like Arnold Palmer - hunched over, and compacted.  I plan on filming some putts face on and down the line mostly out of curiosity at this stage.   

My online L.A.B. fitting came to 69° lie angle and 34".  They said my setup lie angle was 68° but I go to 69° as I go through the stroke. Holy cats, they spotted 1 degree difference! My current putter is 34" and the fitter commented, " I like how the butt end of the grip is barely visible as well. "