Final Reviews: L.A.B Putters

Equipment Type: Putter
Vendor: L.A.B

*Note* Follow along in the new threads for each model *Note*

Please help us congratulate the following testers:

@Shankster @EasyPutter @Bulldog @B_R_A_D_Y @Lmerrick @Samsonite

@bens197 @Dragon3 @revkev @Grand Stranded @thechrisgibbs @GolfSpy_CS

image.png
Ever wanted to be a part of the data MyGolfSpy collects over the course of the season? Welcome to Testers Wanted, where we recruit readers like you for objective feedback on products that roll into HQ throughout the year!

You can say a lot of things about L.A.B. Putters but you certainly can’t say they’re boring. Or conventional. Or even unoriginal. Even the owner calls them "absurd."

Leveraging an approach called "lie angle balancing" (hence L.A.B. Golf) the brand feels it has a technology to help you make more putts.

That said, we need testers like you to assess, and report back to us here at MyGolfSpy!

Important: Each tester will be required to submit a fitting video per L.A.B.'s fitting process and be prepared to provide as much detailed feedback as possible
Want to learn more about MGS Forum tests and how we select our testers? Check out this thread as it has everything and anything you need to know all in one place: MGS Forum How to Become a Tester

192 Comments

8 hours ago, edingc said:

Not surprised to see L.A.B. is going over the top for you guys. I had some custom requests on my DF 2.1 and they had no trouble accomadating them. 

@Grand Stranded sounds like we're going to have very similar setups. May have missed this, but is anyone going with the Press II grip? As much as I love the L.A.B. itself, I think the grip made the biggest difference in my putting stroke.

I got the Press II 3* grip in LEFTHAND. (I have no idea why they differentiate?)

Im’m at 34” and 65* are you anywhere near those #’s?

20 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

I think every one of us were doing double takes when we saw things add up in our carts.

Over $900 for the putter I ordered. B.2 35” at 66*. Grooved face.  Press II 1.5. Stainless. LA Golf shaft in white. White head cover. Great experience with LAB so far. Still hard to express how grateful for the opportunity to test this putter. I was very close to pulling the trigger on this before being selected but held off. I have very high hopes of this putter replacing my custom Bettinardi in a full time role. 

I was going to save my whole build sheet for the review portion of the thread, but since everyone else is doing it… peer pressure is…

I blanked out the prices on purpose, because I don’t want it to skew your or my own thoughts on how this putter performs.  If you want, you can throw a build together to see what it cost in the end.  I am here for the performance of the club, not the sticker shock… but I will say it was VERY generous of L.A.B. To offer up the whole menu to us all.

Edit: that is not intended to be a dig at anyone, because in reality the cost does matter.  I will address that in my review.  I’m just different. 🙃

Here is my build sheet.

8A933383-AAA1-4E7E-BF50-AB1D20A06A18.jpeg

Since I’ve ordered the Brass B.2, I’ve been perusing the internet looking for user photos, found a few on other forums, but it looks like this thing will get a beautiful patina over time… adding to my excitement, all of my sailor friends will know how much fun polishing brass is… so I will NOT be doing anything but wiping off excess water, and a clean after using it… especially if they just put down the fertilizer.

The MEZZ.1 will be competing with the longest tenured putter in my bag since I split ways with my Anser 2 SS from 1999.  The Phantom X hits all the marks for me with looks, weight, feel, balance and performance.

Quite honestly, these are relatively subjective takes so in soliciting relatability for other spies I will say this.

I am a long time blade putter user who switched to a mallet because I wanted the benefit of higher MOI.  

I've been averse to traditional center shafted putters out of nothing more than bad luck.

I prefer a smaller profile pistol grip.

Many of these points are contrary to what I am testing...I want to love this MEZZ.1 and I have a feeling that could occur...The revealer videos are enticing and I really enjoy the enthusiasm that CEO Mr. Hahn has for his product.  I get a strong sense that these have been rigorously tested prior to mass release to the public. 

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

Since I’ve ordered the Brass B.2, I’ve been perusing the internet looking for user photos, found a few on other forums, but it looks like this thing will get a beautiful patina over time… adding to my excitement, all of my sailor friends will know how much fun polishing brass is… so I will NOT be doing anything but wiping off excess water, and a clean after using it… especially if they just put down the fertilizer.

I'm glad you mentioned ordering the Brass B.2, I was just over on their website looking to see what the B.2 is and about to come over here and ask if anyone was going to order it. 

You all are doing a wonderful job so far in this review and I can only imagine it's going to get better as the testing ramps up. 

15 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I'm glad you mentioned ordering the Brass B.2, I was just over on their website looking to see what the B.2 is and about to come over here and ask if anyone was going to order it. 

You all are doing a wonderful job so far in this review and I can only imagine it's going to get better as the testing ramps up. 

I’m pretty excited to get it on the course, Like @bens197 it will be competing against the trusty PING that has been there since 2015. 

I really wanted to play back in Michigan, but with only 4 days… I might sneak one or two early morning  rounds in… luckily, there is an awesome practice green just a few blocks away.  

A few places on the road will get the B.2 out in Montana, and I’m planning some rounds right when I get to Oregon. Hopefully this thing ships soon so I can use it on my “home” course of 3 years as much as possible.  I’ve gotten to know the greens pretty well, and my putting is far superior than it used to be… kicking the PING out will be a tall task for the B.2

Not that I'm not freaking ecstatic about the DF2.1 coming (theoretically) soon, but good GOD that Brass B2 looks so good. I wish I was "automatic off the center" enough to justify that bad-boy.  

Lots of pictures, please.  Especially if you have it long enough for it to start the patina process - has the opportunity to be legit a work of art.

48 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

Not that I'm not freaking ecstatic about the DF2.1 coming (theoretically) soon, but good GOD that Brass B2 looks so good. I wish I was "automatic off the center" enough to justify that bad-boy.  

Lots of pictures, please.  Especially if you have it long enough for it to start the patina process - has the opportunity to be legit a work of art.

Oh yes.  Hoping to play mostly on courses near the Pacific, close enough where the salt will be in the air… I imagine it is going to look just amazing after a few months, and even better as it ages.  

I am not 100% on center each time, but after watching Will putt during the PGA… I don’t think I have any problems…. Plus, I was really glad we all didn’t have to do the MEZZ, or the DF… it would have taken hypnosis for me to allow my brain to make one of those things work, maybe.

On 5/21/2022 at 3:11 PM, Grand Stranded said:

I got the Press II 3* grip in LEFTHAND. (I have no idea why they differentiate?)

Im’m at 34” and 65* are you anywhere near those #’s?

Since the Press grips have the shaft at an angle, the lefthanded version would have to be different so that the shaft lean was correct. I really enjoy mine.

Mine's a little longer (36") and more upright (68*), but I have the BGT Stability Tour shaft as well. I also choke down on mine a little and almost play it like a little bit of a wrist lock grip.

I sure hope this becomes a picture-heavy thread. Going to be so many unique putters to look at. 

My goal with this is a companion video, actually, covering everything from the write-up, so that for those who don't like reading, they still have a way of accessing all the info.  Pretty excited about the way to shoot it, too - camera nerd here, and my wife's a former indie producer, so we're already talking about best ways to go about it.  No promises on it looking like anything fancy, but given the opportunity, feels like a cool thing to be able to do.

And obviously, gratuitous close-ups of the putter. Maybe even wearing googly eyes and a mustache, because SOMETHING has to make the 2.1 attractive to some of you, and what's better than a disguise? 😉

1 hour ago, Samsonite said:

My goal with this is a companion video, actually, covering everything from the write-up, so that for those who don't like reading, they still have a way of accessing all the info.  Pretty excited about the way to shoot it, too - camera nerd here, and my wife's a former indie producer, so we're already talking about best ways to go about it.  No promises on it looking like anything fancy, but given the opportunity, feels like a cool thing to be able to do.

And obviously, gratuitous close-ups of the putter. Maybe even wearing googly eyes and a mustache, because SOMETHING has to make the 2.1 attractive to some of you, and what's better than a disguise? 😉

Super hero capes

5 hours ago, Shankster said:

On it… upping my camera game.  Either with a new phone, or a new DLSR… or both.  Photo City headed your way. 📸 

Oh, so you’re using this opportunity as an excuse to pivot the “Club Ho’s Anonymous” section to video equipment. 😂 When I tested the Evnroll ER11v, I bought a PuttOut mat and a GorillaPod for my phone. 😂

1 hour ago, MattWillGolf said:

Oh, so you’re using this opportunity as an excuse to pivot the “Club Ho’s Anonymous” section to video equipment. 😂 When I tested the Evnroll ER11v, I bought a PuttOut mat and a GorillaPod for my phone. 😂

One of my daughters wants to be a film maker… this could get taken to the next level… as they say, stay tuned…. She’s 11, so be nice if there is a video!  Haha. Actually, don’t, she’s getting on my nerves at the moment.

I’m fortunate to live in a place called Barefoot Resort&Golf down in North Myrtle Beach, SC. You might remember our Davis Love III designed course being featured on a show called The Big Break a few years ago, and our Pete Dye Course is the home of The Monday After The Masters, which is a pro am event run by the course along with Hootie and the Blowfish. It’s televised every year on ESPN, and Mike and Mike did their show from just off the putting area the morning of.

We also have two more courses, they are Greg Norman and Tom Fazio designs. Each of the 4 courses plays very differently, and the greens are both fast, and in some cases undulating. The fairways and chipping areas are very tightly mowed, so it’s not unusual to see players putt from much further off the green then say, up on Long Island where I’m originally from.

We have 3 different practice putting areas, and I live off one of the holes on the Norman course, so between that and playing a few times each week, my LAB will get a good workout. I’ve already spoken to our Director of Golf here, and he’s given me Carte Blanche to go out and film whatever videos or take as many photos as I want during the testing period. 
Sounds great, right? Well here’s the problem… or I should say MY problem. 🙄 I’m that guy who should probably be using one step above a jitterbug phone. I have no idea how to inbed a photo or video in a thread, much less film one. I’m sure it isn’t that hard to do, and this test will be the push I need to learn, but reading the plans and seeing the experience of my fellow testers here makes me nervous about how mine will compare though.

Because I’m so appreciative of this opportunity, I’m going to make sure both LAB Golf and MGS are happy I was chosen to test this putter. As for those of you who follow along, I will do my absolute best to answer any and all questions you have. Just remember what I said about my tech skills, and cut me a little slack while I find my groove there.

9 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Anyone getting a Mezz? I don't want to read through 8 pages to find out, LOL

4 so far, 4 DF2.1, and 3 B2s. One (I believe) is still undecided, so one of those groups will have one more

31 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

Because I’m so appreciative of this opportunity, I’m going to make sure both LAB Golf and MGS are happy I was chosen to test this putter. As for those of you who follow along, I will do my absolute best to answer any and all questions you have. Just remember what I said about my tech skills, and cut me a little slack while I find my groove here.

If you have any questions or if I can help in any way, I'm happy to hop on a call and talk through some stuff. I've been in LA over the last twenty years dabbling as an actor/writer/director/photographer - basically, a Hollywood nerd with limited success 😜

There are some basic things you can do to generate solid content, but most importantly I'd suggest you make it as "you" as you can: if you're awkward, BE awkward; if you're a scientist, show us. No one's going to do this the way you will, and certainly won't have access to those courses (I mean, if you want to fly me out and I'll be your camera man/director, I could make myself available 😉 ). 

Secondly, film a LOT, even if you think it won't be useful. You never know when something will happen that you'll WISH you had on camera. Trust me. 

PM me if you want to talk sometimes. I LOVE this stuff, so happy to help. 

51 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Anyone getting a Mezz? I don't want to read through 8 pages to find out, LOL

It actually broke up pretty evenly among the group between the 3 models. Everyone went standard, which surprised me… I thought we’d end up with a few broomsticks and armlocks, but it turned out to be good we didn’t. The manufacturer was happy we didn’t deviate from our normal putting style.

The site is making it easy for someone like you Kory, in the fact that there will be 3 separate review threads, one for each model. So you’ll only have to follow the one about the Mezz. There is a downside to that however, as you’ll be missing out on my waxing poetic about my DF2.1 😜

14 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

There is a downside to that however, as you’ll be missing out on my waxing poetic about my DP2.1 😜

Pretty sure DP2.1 is something else entirely (do yourself a favor and don't Google "d.p."), but the DF2.1... Now that's a thing to sing about. Or take to the ocean and look for loose change (I absolutely think it looks incredible and cannot wait to get it in my hands, but I understand it's not for everyone) 😄

8 minutes ago, Samsonite said:

Pretty sure DP2.1 is something else entirely (do yourself a favor and don't Google "d.p."), but the DF2.1... Now that's a thing to sing about. Or take to the ocean and look for loose change (I absolutely think it looks incredible and cannot wait to get it in my hands, but I understand it's not for everyone) 😄

😂😂😂😂😂

I better go back and edit that… 😉

1 hour ago, Grand Stranded said:

It actually broke up pretty evenly among the group between the 3 models. Everyone went standard, which surprised me… I thought we’d end up with a few broomsticks and armlocks, but it turned out to be good we didn’t. The manufacturer was happy we didn’t deviate from our normal putting style.

The site is making it easy for someone like you Kory, in the fact that there will be 3 separate review threads, one for each model. So you’ll only have to follow the one about the Mezz. There is a downside to that however, as you’ll be missing out on my waxing poetic about my DF2.1 😜

I'm sure I'll read it, but much less interested in the DF since I already have one and know how good it is 😉