Jump to content

Final Reviews: L.A.B Putters

Equipment Type: Putter
Vendor: L.A.B

 

 

 

*Note* Follow along in the new threads for each model *Note*

Please help us congratulate the following testers:

@Shankster @EasyPutter @Bulldog @B_R_A_D_Y @Lmerrick @Samsonite

@bens197 @Dragon3 @revkev @Grand Stranded @thechrisgibbs @GolfSpy_CS

image.png
Ever wanted to be a part of the data MyGolfSpy collects over the course of the season? Welcome to Testers Wanted, where we recruit readers like you for objective feedback on products that roll into HQ throughout the year!

You can say a lot of things about L.A.B. Putters but you certainly can’t say they’re boring. Or conventional. Or even unoriginal. Even the owner calls them "absurd."

Leveraging an approach called "lie angle balancing" (hence L.A.B. Golf) the brand feels it has a technology to help you make more putts.

That said, we need testers like you to assess, and report back to us here at MyGolfSpy!

Important: Each tester will be required to submit a fitting video per L.A.B.'s fitting process and be prepared to provide as much detailed feedback as possible
Want to learn more about MGS Forum tests and how we select our testers? Check out this thread as it has everything and anything you need to know all in one place: MGS Forum How to Become a Tester

 

201 Comments




Congratulations Guys, Can't wait to see the reviews.. 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Congratulations to the testers!  Now onto the question everyone (well, at least me) has... does this unique looking putter produce strokes gained?  

I Want The Truth GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Congratulations to the testers!  Now onto the question everyone (well, at least me) has... does this unique looking putter produce strokes gained?  

I Want The Truth GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

 

7BBBF84D-B29F-4A48-A5B9-C12D964DAA31.gif

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Shankster said:

 

7BBBF84D-B29F-4A48-A5B9-C12D964DAA31.gif

One of the little known truths is that is doubles as a bottle opener. 🙂

  • Haha 6
Link to comment

Very excited for this test! Always amazed to be chosen. Thanks MGS and LAB for the shot. 

  • Like 8
Link to comment

Congrats to the testers.  
 

And to take the movie quote theme to hit sitcoms. To quote Elaine, these putters are “breathtaking” 

Lets see how they work!

  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment

Pumped up for those selected! I really think you'll all love this putter, it has changed my game for the better for sure! I've always been a decent putter but this took me to a whole new level.

  • Like 8
Link to comment

Congrats testers, looking forward to reading the reviews as I've had my eyes on a DF putter for awhile now.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

I bought a Directed about 3 weeks ago.  I had to adjust to a much heavier putter but lately it’s been great.  One must learn to relax and let the putter swing. You don’t need to over control it.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Congrats team, really looking forward to such a massive review. Is this a record number of testers? Great idea to split them into models @GolfSpy_APH

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Congrats to the testers! I'm very curious to see how the virtual fitting goes, what grip you end up with and what your results are! I know there's a site where you can get some used/demo/blemish ones at a good price.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Congrats to all the testers !

Dozen reviewers makes for an awesome sample and should provide some interesting perspectives.

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I think y'all are doing this wrong. Testers have been announced, so if you're not one of them, you're supposed to say "grumble grumble, this game is rigged, grumble grumble." 


Congrats testers! Given how much positive reviews these putters have been getting across the board, I'm excited to see what you all think. They're pricey, but if they're worth it, they're worth it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Rtracymog said:

Congrats to the testers! I'm very curious to see how the virtual fitting goes, what grip you end up with and what your results are! I know there's a site where you can get some used/demo/blemish ones at a good price.

Yes! There's a "LAB Outlet" (labgolfoutlet.com) where they have pre-built/factory seconds. Someone on here bought one and said he still can't figure out where the "blemish" is, but they're a pretty great discount. If you know your build, it's possibly a great option to save some cash. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Congrats to all of the testers, this should be a fun one to follow.  Now the work begins!

  • Like 4
Link to comment

I applied for this testing just to try the big Lab. Didn’t get in, but today I fit into one at Club Champion. What an amazing beast of a club. I didn’t purchase because I literally can’t fit it into my bag, but the “putting on autopilot” thing, I can see what the people who say that mean. After years of using all steel putters, i was concerned I wouldn’t like the feel of the aluminum face, but I definitely do like the feel of that big Lab. such a consistent launch and true roll. I holed either 5 or 6 out of 7 on the sam test. Of course, then I grabbed a Bettinardi tri-sole and holed 7 out of 7 with 3 people watching each shot, because they didn’t want me to even hit the Bettinardi since Sam recommended a mallet to me. Even with the 7/7, the Sam numbers on the Lab were slightly but clearly better than the Betti tri-sole in terms of bringing my strongly arced cut across no look putting stroke back to even at the point of contact. I didn’t buy the Bettinardi either, as I’m literally flummoxed as to what I should do. I love the look and feel of the tri-sole, and I drained 7 straight putts with it, but I can definitely feel how incredibly solid the big lab is, and 5 or 6 out of seven with something so different from what I’m used to is also an excellent result. For now, until something clicks in my head, i’m going to stick with my seemore mfgp2, which i love, and which i deliver consistently 2 degrees open, and hit down on causing poor roll in my worst putts, and even with that, i’m currently putting the best I ever have in life. Anyway, there is my account of my tryst  with the big Lab. I fit into it best, in a room full of all the best putters on earth right now. If I can ever get used to the idea of carrying it around, perhaps after a bag change, I may well have one built to my specs. also, for new players without any old crusty baggage laden opinions, if they can handle the looks and the price, I would definitely recommend they start their putting odyssey with the big lab. i’m sure they will have a smoother putting journey to “getting good” as I have over the years, while dealing with far less frustration. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
7 hours ago, ryan.mzzz said:

I applied for this testing just to try the big Lab. Didn’t get in, but today I fit into one at Club Champion. What an amazing beast of a club. I didn’t purchase because I literally can’t fit it into my bag, but the “putting on autopilot” thing, I can see what the people who say that mean. After years of using all steel putters, i was concerned I wouldn’t like the feel of the aluminum face, but I definitely do like the feel of that big Lab. such a consistent launch and true roll. I holed either 5 or 6 out of 7 on the sam test. Of course, then I grabbed a Bettinardi tri-sole and holed 7 out of 7 with 3 people watching each shot, because they didn’t want me to even hit the Bettinardi since Sam recommended a mallet to me. Even with the 7/7, the Sam numbers on the Lab were slightly but clearly better than the Betti tri-sole in terms of bringing my strongly arced cut across no look putting stroke back to even at the point of contact. I didn’t buy the Bettinardi either, as I’m literally flummoxed as to what I should do. I love the look and feel of the tri-sole, and I drained 7 straight putts with it, but I can definitely feel how incredibly solid the big lab is, and 5 or 6 out of seven with something so different from what I’m used to is also an excellent result. For now, until something clicks in my head, i’m going to stick with my seemore mfgp2, which i love, and which i deliver consistently 2 degrees open, and hit down on causing poor roll in my worst putts, and even with that, i’m currently putting the best I ever have in life. Anyway, there is my account of my tryst  with the big Lab. I fit into it best, in a room full of all the best putters on earth right now. If I can ever get used to the idea of carrying it around, perhaps after a bag change, I may well have one built to my specs. also, for new players without any old crusty baggage laden opinions, if they can handle the looks and the price, I would definitely recommend they start their putting odyssey with the big lab. i’m sure they will have a smoother putting journey to “getting good” as I have over the years, while dealing with far less frustration. 

Cool post - love to see that the Big Boy Lab (as it shall forever be known) does what it's supposed to, especially with a no-look stroke (I've recently switched to this "pick a point and focus on that" and have had such better speed control/consistency).  I'm super excited to see what model I end up getting to test (okay with either BBL or Mezz.1, preference-wise, as I've played a mallet for years), and how it fits me and I fit it.  And then hit a billion putts until we figure each other out (Retief Goosen's quote: "a putter needs to become your second wife") 🙂

Can I ask though - when you say it doesn't fit in your bag, do you mean it LITERALLY doesn't fit because head is too big?  Lol. Do I need to get a new bag?  A Sunday bag just to carry the putter? Maybe some kind of samurai sword-holder slung over my back to holster it?  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Samsonite said:

Can I ask though - when you say it doesn't fit in your bag, do you mean it LITERALLY doesn't fit because head is too big? 

A putter well is almost a requirement. The head is huge compared to everything else in my bag. 

I think you're all going to love your LABs. I've hit a nice rhythm with mine to start the season. Line it up and just let it go. It basically swings itself.

  • Like 5
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

272 Comments




Very interesting putters! Visually kinda awkward but if it performs then who cares, right. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

This is such a unique product.  From it’s paradigm shifting head designs and the fact that they were early adopters of the premium “ultra stable” putting shafts I am intrigued by their willingness to challenge the status quo. Will it prove to be successful?  Or will it be bought up and swallowed by a legacy brand. 

Link to comment

I’ve been so curious about these. I signed up but I’m looking forward to hear what other people say!

thanks for the opportunity

Edit: Oy, I think I just signed up twice. Didn’t mean to do that. 

Link to comment

These putters look different but if they help me putter better I would love to try one.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, cnosil said:

Will be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on these putters.  I’ve had the ability to try all the models and currently have the DF 2.1 in the bag.   Giving it a fair shot but my thoughts are kind of mixed right now. 

Why mixed?  Or would that skew potential testers?

Link to comment

I’m a tech geek (SkyTrak at home, Arrcos on the course) and LAB putter seems to have so much tech/science—everything you’d expect from a Bryson partner. Putting is my Achilles heel and with my straight back and through stroke, the DF.21 or MEZZ.1 could be the cure. It would be interesting to compare my strokes gained (lost more often than not) with my existing putter to the LAB…

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment

Brainstorm Happy putters are modular and make it easy to tweak putter specs. In the process of making a couple new hosels to test if I get along with lie-angle balanced putters and/or broomstick putting. Would be a blast to compare this with my makeshift l.a.b. happy putter

Link to comment

If I had unlimited golf funds I'd have 20 putters right now that I'd rotate through trying to find a hot hand. Maybe LAB is what I need 😂

Link to comment

A couple of my friends have transitioned over to LAB over the last year, all seem pretty happy with the results thus far. The look and feel are definitely interesting, I'd be intrigued to perform some A / B testing on this via my shot scope data dashboards.

Link to comment

I played around with one in a local pro shop and thought it would be interesting to try. I hope I get that opportunity.

Link to comment

My guy Colin just played his way to the PGA Championship with an armlock version of the 2.1.  There really is something to these putters....

Link to comment

I love this putter. Been in the bag for 2 seasons now. From 10 feet in, you have to try to miss. I know how I feel, but can’t wait to see what the testers see

Link to comment

I've used a "T. P. Mills 1" putter for more years than I care to mention.  Having just finished a battle with stage 4 cancer and still being on my last stage of chemo, all I can do right now is practice putting.  I would welcome the chance to give your putter a try.  I live on a golf course and have access to two large, bent grass practice greens.  I really like my T. P. Mills but if I can make more putts with yours, I would change putters in a heartbeat.  Thanks for your consideration.

Link to comment

I have read a few things about this putter and would really like to test it. 
I have far too many 2 & 3 putts with my current putter and would like to see if this putter could put me on par with my playing partners.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

I’ve been seeing these on social media a lot lately. Interested to see if the unique geometry/shape affects MOI and overall feel. 

Link to comment

Heard about these a while ago, I think listening to Hank Haney's podcast.  Was intrigued and checked the website.  I don't think I would have a problem at all with the looks of the DF 2.1  - especially if I made a few more per round.

Link to comment

Retired senior golfer who has been a techs for years. Arcos sensors on all clubs including putter. Launch monitors in built basement golf room includes SkyTrak and Accusport. Basement floor includes golf green that runs 10.0 on stimp meter.

Link to comment

Would love the opportunity to test these putters out. I am very interested in them after reading the article. Especially as someone who has trouble getting the face square when putting, and changes putters frequently.  I don’t care what it looks like as long as the ball goes in the hole. 

Link to comment
18 minutes ago, BrownBearGolf said:

Why mixed?  Or would that skew potential testers?

I don’t have a problem with the looks but I am not seeing the performance improvements that others cite in their use.  I am not any worse but not any better.   It is definitely a change to the way I have putted for years.  I never forward pressed and now my setup is completely different because of the built in forward press.    I don’t like the large grip but don’t know if I can swap to one of the smaller grips or will that mess up the lie balance aspect of the putter.  Ball speeds seem slower off the face so I now have to make longer strokes to get distance I am used to.   I am able to better feel face angle/path mistakes and can immediately tell if I pushed or pulled a putt….my guess based on my research is that LAB would say it is because I am getting my hands to engaged in the stroke.  I move the putter with my hands so is that my problem and something I need to change my stroke to be more shoulder driven?  My practice on my ExPutt shows that I have good face and path numbers but not making any more putts in that 6-15 foot range.

I am mixed in my opinion because this putter is forcing me to change a lot about how I putt and I am not sure the juice is worth the squeeze.  I have tried all three models but picked the 2.1 because it was supposed to be the most automatic   
 

this is strictly my personal findings and shouldn’t influence anyone else as the putter may be perfect for them   

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment

I love experimenting with new putters.  In the last year I bought 5 new putters, all with different characteristics to try and find one that works best for me.  I have a puttering green at home and a putting green at the office, and play everyday the weather is suitable in snowy Idaho.  (our greens still haven't filled in this year yet though).  I would love to test some of these creative designs!

Link to comment

Ever since I read on mygolfspy that my current putter was an abomination that should have never been built….I have wanted a new putter.

Link to comment

I really really want to be part of this test group. I've been following LAB for sometime and the concept is really intriguing but hard to drop the $$ without putting in your hands.

Link to comment

×
×
  • Create New...