TESTERS WANTED! ×

Testers
Equipment Type: Iron Shafts
Vendor: Nippon

Want to contribute to the data MyGolfSpy collects?

Welcome to Testers Wanted where we recruit readers like you for objective feedback on products that roll into HQ throughout the year!

Screenshot 2022-11-19 at 10.54.18 AM.png

The Nippon N.S. PRO 850GH neo.  It's a long product name with a simple story. If you're a golfer that uses a 40-50 gram driver shaft, Nippon designed the N.S. PRO 850GH neo for you. In other words, golfers who benefit from lightweight driver and fairway wood shafts should find a similar upside with sub-100 gram iron shafts.

The design architecture is similar to the N.S. PRO 950 neo, with the 850GH neo coming in a weight class lower (84.5 gm in R flex and 88 gr in S flex). Moreover, the N.S. PRO 850GH neo acknowledges two key industry realities. First, many golfers are better off with irons that launch higher and spin more. Also, the typical modern GI (game improvement) iron design features less static loft (hello 40° pitching wedges) with a lower center of gravity to try and offset the jacked lofts.

Hitting your 7-iron 10 yards further might be nice and feel good inside the friendly confines of an indoor simulator. But, what benefit is increased distance if it doesn't get you any closer to the hole?

Nippon is quick to acknowledge the early success and widespread adoption of the N.S. PRO 850GH neo on the Japan Ladies Professional Tour. But, that shouldn't be misconstrued as any indication that this series is female-specific. The reality is, most golfers that look to professionals for product credibility would be far better to emulate the specs and bag setup of professional female golfers as opposed to male golfers. But that's where the similarities end. Put differently, the only thing an amateur golfer has in common with an LPGA pro is that they both will often fit into the same equipment specs.

It's fair to suggest that Nippon is the industry leader in lightweight steel iron shafts. It's also reasonable to opine that Nippon might be the industry's most underrated steel shaft manufacturer. You don't need to tell that to Tony Finau or plenty of other pros and elite amateurs. IFYKYK, right?

We are looking for FOUR (4) Testers!

US or Canada based forum members can put these Iron shafts to the test! Righty or Left works here, as I'm told shafts can be installed backwards for those of you who swing the wrong way like @GolfSpy_APH.  Nippon will provide the shafts and installation, but it's up to you to provide the iron heads for this test.

New to the forum?

Want to increase your chances of being selected for testing? Here is a link to a guide which lays it all out for you and will allow you to know exactly how, why and who we select for testing here: How to Become a Tester

9 Comments

At this moment, I would like to give an immense thanks to MGS and Nippon! I would also like to quote a famous figure of our generation..

Can't wait!

This Test is now closed to further comments.

60 Comments

Excited to see the results of this one!!  The 85g shaft range is a great profile for low to mid range swing speeds to add a few mph to the swing, without sacrificing the consistency that is built in to the whole Nippon shaft line.  I expect this shaft to perform EXTREMELY well in comparison to any other shafts, but I will let our MGS Forum Testers be the final say in that!

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

Where my Otto Phlex users at!?  Who wants to give Nippon's newest lightweight steel offering to the test?  I'm excited for the testers here as an unashamed Nippon fan boy.  Getting four more people introduces to the delicious Nippon shaft feel is going to be fun! 

No doubt I'm interested! BUT.. the questions are.. do I apply as an OP intended candidate and go for that soft whippy hitter? or do come in as a regular candidate and go tipped S+?

🤔

I currently play the Nippon Pro 105S in Mizuno 225s. I switched from Taylor Made p790s project x 120g S. Curious to know what these would be like. 

I currently play taylormade m6 irons with aerotech steelfiber 95 gram shafts (R)      Would love to try something new..      thank you     

I am 76 years old with an 8.9 index and currently play Ping 425 irons with a 40 gram Alta Distanza shaft and my driver is a Titleist TS1 with a Fujikura Speeder 40 gram shaft.  I had at one time played Nippon Pro shafts pro to switching to graphite.  So I would be very interested to see a comparison with a Nippon 40 gram shaft.

Jerry

I’m a 66 year old who plays 100-150 rounds a year. I fluctuate between a 8-10 handicap member at Gateway National in Illinois. I am getting ready to order a new set of Titleist T100s irons to replace my AP718 with regular graphite shafts. I think these heads with these Nippon shafts would be perfect fit for me. Thanks for the consideration!

I will be 69 next month and currently play to a 7 handicap but the iron game is slowing taking it`s toll on losing distance. If I can get a half club to full club longer it would help tremendously.

I will be getting some new irons this winter and I think these shafts might just be the ticket. Thanks fro the invite.

I have a set of Titleist 695.CB with older Nippon shafts and I would be interested in testing the new shafts from Nippon. I am 79 and my handicap index is 7.5.

Have played nippon for years. Have Zeleos 8 in irons currently.  Really would love to test this new shaft.  I think it sounds amazing for older players needing height and spin!  Fingers crossed! 

As intrigued as I am about these shafts, I don't think they would be a good fit in the end, plus with the test likely starting in December I probably would not make the best tester up here in Chicago.  I'll have to refrain from signing up, but good luck to all you warm weather guys that get to golf year round and can give these a go!

I would love to try these out, graphite shafts that I've used in the past were in woods or pole vaulting poles!

The consistency from shaft to shaft would be a concern for me.

On 11/19/2022 at 9:12 AM, GolfSpy_BOS said:

Where my Otto Phlex users at!?  Who wants to give Nippon's newest lightweight steel offering to the test?  I'm excited for the testers here as an unashamed Nippon fan boy.  Getting four more people introduces to the delicious Nippon shaft feel is going to be fun! 

Here I am.  I just signed up.  The auto flex has me outdriving my buddies by 20-50 yards.  HUGE fan.