BK in TEXAS

Replacing the Hybrid with.....

Curently playing:

22Ëš 4i

19Ëš Hybrid

16Ëš fairway metal.

I'm thinking about replacing the Hybrid with a more iron like club.  Not that there is anything wrong with the Hybrid....I just tend to like irons more...for really no rational reason.

Anyway.....Based on Matt's driving iron review http://www.mygolfspy.com/trend-or-fad-driving-iron-review/ I'm looking at trying out the Callaway XUP and the Mizzy H4. 

Of course I'm going to try them out myself, but I was just looking for some feedback from those that have used them on the course or some suggestions of other iron like utility type clubs that might fit the bill.

I have picked up a G25 3 iron and had Ping bend it to 18 degrees. So far I've liked it. Only complaint I have is it's much harder to draw the ball with it opposed to my other irons

Save yourself some money and buy the Mizuno MP FLI HI.  I game a 4 iron in the older style and a 3 and 2 in the newer style and would say they are very similar.  The newer one felt a little hotter in the face but the older one felt better when you hit it.  I would not say I notice a difference now.

I will not say that I hit the 2 better than a Rescue 11 or a Adams Pro Black that I have.  But I miss it much better.  Misses with the FLI HI are short and a maybe a slight fade, really bad ones might go 100 yards and 10 yards right.  Misses with one of the true hybrids is a 200 plus yards and 40 plus yards left.  In real terms that is the difference in needing to get up and down for par from 100 yards or dropping 3/hitting 4 and needing to hole out from 200 yards for par.  That is a huge difference.

Edit:  Oh yeah, just buy cheap ones on eBay and install your favorite shaft.  That is a heck of a deal IMHO.

Save yourself some money and buy the Mizuno MP FLI HI.

Forgot about that one.  Which FliHi version......there seems to be a few of them.

I have picked up a G25 3 iron and had Ping bend it to 18 degrees. So far I've liked it. Only complaint I have is it's much harder to draw the ball with it opposed to my other irons

I would think with the offset that it would draw easy, that surprises me but at least it doesn't hook or anything. 

I preferred the Adams DHY as far as an iron style hybrid. I had the X Utility in the 18* loft for a time and found that the more traditional style hybrid was more effective for me. I tested the 21* X Utility versus the DHY and found that the X Utility was more like a true long iron while the Adams was more effective from the rough and other less than perfect lies.

I would think with the offset that it would draw easy, that surprises me but at least it doesn't hook or anything.

I either get dead straight shots or I end up over correcting and end up with big hooks. The straight shots are fine expect I am set up for a draw so I end up more right than I planned

I preferred the Adams DHY as far as an iron style hybrid. I had the X Utility in the 18* loft for a time and found that the more traditional style hybrid was more effective for me. I tested the 21* X Utility versus the DHY and found that the X Utility was more like a true long iron while the Adams was more effective from the rough and other less than perfect lies.

Do you know if the DHY can be bent 2-3 degrees flat?  It's not forged right?

I've tried a bunch of driving/utility irons and I get along with my TMag 2U better than any I've tried. My favorite was the 503.i but it commanded a premium I'd have been stupid not to take.

Do you know if the DHY can be bent 2-3 degrees flat?  It's not forged right?

It isn't forged, but it can be ordered in a flatter lie angle than standard. Mine is three flat.

Forgot about that one. Which FliHi version......there seems to be a few of them.

As I said. I have the 2008 and the 2010. The 2008 is my 4 Iron the cavity back with the cut muscle. Looks like a slightly oversized MP60. My 2&3 irons are the 2010. These have a slight resemblance to the MP 59. At one time I may have believed that the 2008 felt better and the 2010'felt hotter but now I can not tell one from the other without looking. They are both great.

They are every bit as good or better than the newer stuff. But what do I know. I have some MP59'heads in a draw and play the MP33 heads.

It isn't forged, but it can be ordered in a flatter lie angle than standard. Mine is three flat.

OK. I have a Mitchell bending machine...should be interesting to see if theses are hard as a rock like most TaylorMade cast stuff is.

My 2&3 irons are the 2010. These have a slight resemblance to the MP 59.

Cool...thanks RR.  I just got one on the bay.

Cool...thanks RR.  I just got one on the bay.

Wise choice.  Doubt that the others will perform any better for you.  If you can not hit that well, then you need to stick with the real hybrids.  I reshafted mine and love them.  I hit the 2 farther than most people hit the 3 wood.  I hit it farther than I hit my 3 wood off the deck.

Wise choice.  Doubt that the others will perform any better for you.  If you can not hit that well, then you need to stick with the real hybrids.  I reshafted mine and love them.  I hit the 2 farther than most people hit the 3 wood.  I hit it farther than I hit my 3 wood off the deck.

I figure I'll start with this one.  Forged are easy to bend loft and lie to tweak it into what I want.  Hopefully won't have trouble hitting it....I'm pretty decent with my AP2 4i.

OK. I have a Mitchell bending machine...should be interesting to see if theses are hard as a rock like most TaylorMade cast stuff is.

BK let me know how the bending goes on the hybrid. I have a Strilvestri machine and I built a jig to bend hybrids with but I have not tried it yet Thanks

BK let me know how the bending goes on the hybrid. I have a Strilvestri machine and I built a jig to bend hybrids with but I have not tried it yet Thanks

I'd like to see that jig.  With my Mitchell I need an iron type topline to clamp down on it.  I cannot bend a typical hybrid or fairway wood on it.

I'd like to see that jig.  With my Mitchell I need an iron type topline to clamp down on it.  I cannot bend a typical hybrid or fairway wood on it.

Well I am IT challenged so I don't do pictures yet. I am not too sure that my home made set up will work yet. My machine is sorta like a Mitchell. I think for most Mitchells you can get the Hybrid adaptor. I may go around to the thrift stores and see if I can find any junky cheap hybrids today since it is cold outside and try it. I do not know how accurate my set up will be. Will bend and check on the machine and then "old school" it with my Golf Works club protractor