TESTERS WANTED! ×

MIURA DEBUTS MB001 IRONS

SPY ZINGER

mb001_top.jpg

MIURA DEBUTS MB001 IRONS

Company's First New Blade in Six Years
Himeji, Japan - Miura Golf, the Japanese maker of the world's finest forged golf clubs, has introduced its first new blade iron in six years. The MB001 muscleback will join the Tournament Blade and the Series 1957 Small Blade in the Miura catalog of top-quality forged blade irons.

The MB001 features sole refinements that help it travel effortlessly through turf. A cleanly shaped top line helps form the look better players prefer, as do both a graceful flow through the transition area from hosel to clubface and an overall compactness. The irons' more upright appearance at address helps players feel secure standing over the ball, allowing them to swing away with confidence. And clear, striking graphics provide the elite finish that golfers have come to expect from Miura.

mb001-face.jpg

"We don't automatically bring out a new blade every year, so this is a big event," says Adam Barr, president of Miura  . "The only calendar we operate on is the one in the minds of the Miuras. When they say a club is ready, we go. The MB001 contains the benefits of all the lessons we have learned in watching irons perform, since the Tournament Blade came out in 2007 and the Small Blade arrived in 2006. Players will notice the quality right away."

mb001-logo.jpg

The MB001 design is the result of years of study and careful consideration of iron performance by the Miura family. The project was led by Yoshitaka Miura, eldest son of founder Katsuhiro Miura and a club-grinding expert who learned under his father. He heeded the advice of his brother Shinei, who supervises forging operations at the company's factory in Himeji, Japan, as well as his father.

mb001-sole.jpg

The iron is crafted with intelligent shaping. The sole's shape and size -- subtly adjusted from successful designs of earlier models -- gets through the turf more efficiently and gives the player a better chance of keeping the clubface square at impact. In a properly fitted MB001, the sole delivers a consistently sized, crisp divot that is evidence of a solid, efficient strike.

mb001-topline.jpg

Its top line is narrow, and visually reveals the strength and substance of the clubface at address. It presents a simple, clean look that reduces distraction and promotes confidence.

The flow of steel from the hosel to the low-offset clubhead is smooth, elegant and non-reflective. Yoshitaka-san took a lot of time to get this right, and also focused carefully on the relationship of the toe and heel so that they look harmonious as a whole. The MB001 clubhead is nearly the same length heel-to-toe as the Tournament Blade, and like that club, offers plenty of "face space" without looking overly long.

At address, the MB001 gives a more upright aspect to the golfer. Without feeling cramped, the player feels closer to the ball, able to see all of it without needing to adjust away from a comfortable head position. This better view of the ball lends pre-stroke confidence.

And in the classic Miura way, the back of the clubhead is uncrowded, simple and designed for striking beauty. Less means a great deal more.

Miura authorized dealer/fitters around the world will have the MB001 for customers to hit (and be fitted for) by the first week of November. While shaft and other fitting options may make prices vary, the suggested retail per club is $235 and $250 for certain models of upgraded shafts (Other premium shafts may increase the overall price.  Regional market and currency differences around the world may also affect the retail price per club). To find an authorized Miura dealer/fitter, click here. http://www.miuragolf.com/find-dealers.asp. For a video of Yoshitaka Miura talking about the new MB001 click on the image below.

New Miura MB001 Forged Blade Iron: Yoshitaka Miura on the Design

IMG_3791.JPG

IMG_3792.JPG

IMG_3793.JPG

IMG_3794.JPG

IMG_3795.JPG

IMG_3796.JPG

IMG_3797.JPG

IMG_3798.JPG

IMG_3799.JPG

IMG_3800.JPG

IMG_3802.JPG

IMG_3803.JPG

IMG_3804.JPG

IMG_3805.JPG

IMG_3806.JPG

IMG_3808.JPG

IMG_3809.JPG

IMG_3813.JPG

IMG_3814.jpg

IMG_3815.JPG

IMG_3817.JPG

IMG_3818.JPG

IMG_3820.JPG

IMG_3821.JPG

Posted Image

In hand @spyzinger pics coming soon...

Switching to them?

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

No, but I hear they might be sending out a demo iron soon.

Sweet! The black 501s looks awesome

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Very timely and interesting to compare Miura's product cycles to everyone else with the article on the front page :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Looks more upright for a better view of the ball? Since when do you not have a good view of the ball? You'll have to tell us what you think of that statement when you get a hold of one.

I'm not sure about this either, what if you prefer a more flat lie angle or like the look of a flat lie. I'm not sure what they were trying to get at here.

Other than that, these look very nice.

It arrived after dark, I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow.  Could very well be the nicest looking iron I've ever had in the house.

I am not sure about the 'upright' either...it does not look any more upright than normal?

Posted Image

Yea, they look fantastic from the pics. I tend to think the "upright appearance" angle is nothing but a marketing phrase in an attempt to make them sound like there's something new there. I like to hear about real stuff like changes to the sole grind etc. But when a company tries to come up with some abstract gobbledygook with no real value, it's an instant put-off. Tell us what's real and let the design speak for itself after that. It's a beautiful club. Don't cheapen it by trying to blow smoke up my butt with nonsense like that.

I wonder how the feel or feedback will be with the Aerotech Steelfiber shaft?  I personally never played a good graphite iron in my blades but I've always loved the way the True Temper Dynamic Gold  Sensicore shafts felt in my Mizuno MP29's. I also really like  the way my True Temper Black Golds play in my gammers now my Cobra Pro MB's. So Stephen if you could compare the feel of this Miura demo vs. other forged irons you've played with Steel shafts that would be great. I know the review is about the iron, but it would have been nice if Miura would have sent you two 6 irons, one with steel shaft and one with the Aerotech. Still can't wait to hear your opinion on this sweet looking iron. By the way what irons are you playing now Stephen?

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Also for all those who may be  interested in Miura's specs I went to their site and found them so I posted below:

MIURA MB001 

ScreenShot2013-10-26at32103AM_zpsb0d8e57

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X

GHIN # 5144472

Thanks Tim, I am currently playing the Recoil prototypes in XHot pros. That comparison will be interesting. I'm not going to pretend for a minute that I have the game to play these consistently. But nevertheless, it'll be nice to give it a shot with that perspective in mind. I'll hit it for the first time tomorrow on the range and any 6i shots I have on course.

Posted Image

Beautiful irons.  Not sure I have the swing to hit them well though...

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

They look glorious but would chew my pathetic ball striking skills up and spit them out.  Maybe some day!!

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I am going to play with this again over the weekend, and will give my feedback as a now, 11 HDCP.

Here is Miura's answer to the "upright":  Miura Golf: lie angles are standard, but the overall appearance makes the aspect seem more upright.

Exactly. It means nothing. 100 guys could stand over it and not one would say, "This looks more upright to me. I can really see the ball better!" Yea right. But you tell them that's a "feature" and a percentage of them would "see" it just because you put the thought in their heads.

Miura needs to drop that nonsense line about them in a hurry. The clubs are beautiful. They don't need some make believe marketing crap like that to sell them. Like I said before, that only cheapens the brand.

Looking forward to your thoughts after hitting it Zinger.

After hitting on the range, and during the course of a round where I would use a 6i, I have a little feedback.  These are, without question, the best looking iron(s) I have had in my possession.  Especially at address, it's how a golf club should look.  When these are struck pure, I was shocked at how they felt.  I am not sure if this was because it was my first Miura, full swing iron (not wedge) shot in my lifetime or what.  But there is an unmistakable, better than everything else, feel to them.  Really remarkable in that respect.  When I hit this iron pure, it was surprising to see how high the flight was as well.  HOWEVER, I hit this iron decent about 40% of the time.  They are not a set built for anyone above a 10 HDCP, that is for sure.  As an 11, I could certainly 'play' golf with these, but they are just too demanding for me to really enjoy the game with them.  That should not take anything away from the irons, because you would be hard pressed to find a better players iron in golf.  When this is hit dead center pure, they feel better than anything else I have ever hit.  Really fun to hit this sole through the turf as well. Forgiving they are not, extremely damanding, and probably best suited for the 5 and under crowd.

BXmclzFCMAA1P07.jpg

Posted Image

Stephen, 

Yes I can remember the days spent with my set of Miura Baby blades. I had several sets of Miura irons years back and they did feel pretty darn sweet. I still kick myself for selling a few of those sets, but that's how it goes being an equipment pimp.gif. I'm hoping to try a set of those Recoils soon as I'm really interested in how my Cobra MB's will feel with a graphite shaft installed. so far all I keep reading are good things about that UST offering. I wish miura would have sent you two 6 irons one  steel and 1 graphite to see the difference in feel and flight.

The Bag:

Right handed

Titleist Vokey Proto's

TM TP5 X

GHIN # 5144472

I'm not expert but to me it doesn't look any different than the Tournament Blade.  Not that that's a bad thing.

What's in the Bag:

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 (set to 11.5), Kuro Kage Aftermarket Only Blue 60S, NDMC+4

Fairway: Callaway Big Berth Alpha 815 14 (set to +2,N), Speeder 665 Stiff, NDMC

Hybrid: Adams XTD-ti 20 (set to 19.5), Matrix hQ3 Red Tie Stiff

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-GW, KBS Tour Stiff, 1* flat, Blue PURE DTX

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11, 56/13 & 60/5, DG Spinner, Blue PURE DTX

Putter: Bettinardi Studio Stock 15, 34", 5* loft, 2* flat, SuperStroke Slim LITE 3.0 

Bag: Mizuno Aerolite SPR stand bag

Ball: Wilson Staff Duo Urethane (summer), Srixon Q-STAR Yellow (winter)

Archived