The Dansome

• SPY VIP

Speed Review

Voice Caddie VC300 – Voice Guidance GPS

VoiceCaddy3-review-body.jpg

Written by: Dan Mann

Elegant

VoiceCaddy3-review-box.jpg

Voice Caddie has hit a home run out of the gate with packaging alone. Upon delivery to my office many co-workers stopped by my desk to ask if I'd gotten a new iPhone. Nope - just a new golf front/middle/back GPS device, with a really sexy box and an inner velvet lining.

VoiceCaddy3-review-open.jpg

Then I opened the box. The VC300 is seriously a good looking product with a stunningly modern and elegant design. It's clean, glossy and something that would fit right in on the bridge of JJ Abrams new Star Trek Enterprise.

With some of the bulky & sometimes gaudy wrist based products out there, the Voice Caddie 300 is a refreshing treat and something that truly turns heads. My playing partners on the weekend commented immediately upon noticing, just how cool it is.        

Oooo, and they throw in a slick magnetic ball-marker to boot!                              

Effortless

VoiceCaddy3-review-accessories.jpg

Everything about the Voice Caddie VC300 is easy and that begins with charging. The company recommends a full charge before first use, so take the USB adapter and plug ‘er into the wall. Ya so easy you laugh, but having used competitor brands with quirky charging adaptor connections the VC300 really is a breeze.

VoiceCaddy3-review-power.jpg

Initial set up is a few basic steps involving holding down the power button. Voice Caddie greets you, prompts user to select yards or meters and you're done. The remaining setup revolves around reading the manual which is so clearly laid out there's pretty much no going wrong here;  you're simply up and running in 5 easy steps.

Checking the on board course database and updates are simple as well. After creating an account on the VC website Users simple run the exe file, plug in their device when prompted and then you just cruise around the well laid out software interface.

Taking advantage of the VC300's features is an effortless task to say the least. Volume plus/minus buttons are placed on the end for easy access. Swiping forward gives you back yardage, swipe back for front and just click middle for, well ya, middle of green.

Exemplary

VoiceCaddy3-review-volume.jpg

SHE SPEAKS!!! Well, sounds like a female at least.

It's “Voice Caddie”, what did you expect? Everything the User needs is a few words away. Volume level is adjustable of course and I found a setting of level 6/7 very easy to understand when outdoors.

Course start up was fairly quick. On the first tee I powered the VC300, I'm greeted with “power level XX” and within under 2 minutes a heavenly voice spoke to me from above; “Course Detected”. Well that's a good thing, considering there's over 30,000 preloaded. Oh and when you walk onto the tee there's automatic hole detection, which of course is vocalized to you too.

I did encounter an issue though with it finding the first tee one of the days. At Cove the 3rd tee is next to 1, VC could not find the first until I met up with Nidine on the ladies tee. Luckily the VC300 offers a manual hole adjustment feature and with a couple button clicks the problem was solved.

Did I miss my laser? Once or twice when I needed to know a layup carry to or over a creek for example, but this is not a laser product so let's look at what it does do. The VC300 gives you front, middle and back yardage; and confirming with my laser it does it well, fast and quite accurately. And boy, when you're standing behind a mound with no line of site to pin, you don't have to run up the hill and laser it out; swipe or click away and that lovely voice whispers distance right to you.

This is a fabulous product for not only beginners, but the experienced player looking to keep things fairly simple. I love the fact I don't need to go into the bag all the time and with a swipe I have the distance read to me I need to get to. I found myself using the back yardage a lot more and working back. This meant a lot more middle of greens and not coming up short as frequently. If you can calculate +/- say 5 yards fairly easily, which you better be able to, then this product is a no brainer.

Another great feature of the VC300 is shot measurement. Simply hold down the main button until you hear “Now measuring shot distance”. Repeat this process when you arrive at your balls location and viola, Voice Caddie has tracked you distance. Awesome.

So remember that issue with finding the first tee? Well I emailed Voice Caddie and they got back to me fast, assuring me they'll be updating the database real soon. Thanks Voice Caddie!

As for battery life, the VC300 lasted 27 holes (18 one weekend and 9 the following) and still has some juice left. I'll charge though before next time out.

The Wrap

VoiceCaddy3-review-hat.jpg

Elegant

Effortless

Exemplary

MBP Approves  - A lot

I never thought I'd give up my laser, but with the ease and accessibility the Voice Caddie VC300 offers it's hard to not want to use it. I have a very good eye for distance already and just having a simple reassurance at a touch of what I basically already estimated is enough for me. If front, middle and back yardage is all you need then the Voice Caddie VC300 should be at the top of your list. Seriously I think this is the quintessential GPS product out there.

speedreview-voicecaddy_zps71caef38.png

http://voicecaddie.com/

http://voicecaddie.com/2013/product_vc300_01.php

Sorry JJ, I couldn't resist.

VoiceCaddy3-review-JJ.jpg

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I really like the looks of that! 

Sounds super easy to use too.

Mac/Apple compatible?

@bestgrips   @puttershoes

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Check out the new site (www.bestgrips.com)!
Use "golfspy" for free shipping on all U.S. orders over $50!

What's in my BG custom club glove staff bag? Click here.

Current ball of choice: 'Stones three three zero.

tough luck!

@bestgrips   @puttershoes

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Check out the new site (www.bestgrips.com)!
Use "golfspy" for free shipping on all U.S. orders over $50!

What's in my BG custom club glove staff bag? Click here.

Current ball of choice: 'Stones three three zero.

Well that sucks!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

another great review.....

For me I still would like to know carry, hazard, and in the short game the exact yardage to the pin.  Looks like a solid unit, is it weather proof ?  On the upside,  the price is right....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

• SPY VIP

For me I still would like to know carry, hazard, and in the short game the exact yardage to the pin. Looks like a solid unit, is it weather proof ? On the upside, the price is right....

I emailed them. Will let ya know.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Very nice MBP.  It looks nicer than my Voice Buddy.  Sounds like it works similarly, except switching between front, middle and back sounds easier with this.  The main button on mine sometimes doesn't want to work.  I've had it for over a year now.  If I get another one, this sounds great.

And I was about to call you JJ for that last pic until I saw your caption over it!  Haha!  Good one!

• SPY VIP

is it weather proof ? 

Got a reply for ya Hula.

The VC300 is not waterproof.  It will weather a few drops of rain, but should be dried immediately.  Storing the VC300 in a dry, low-humidity place will lengthen its product life.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• 3 months later...
  • SPY VIP

My playing companions will attest to this. I brought the Voice Caddie on my trip to Cali & played with WD, Theoo and Kingdom fitter Perry.

Perry was in love. He put away the his laser on the second hole and insisted the VC's sexy lady voice tell him all his yardages. lol Perry was convinced that the yardages were spot on too.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

The voice caddy looked sweet in person too. Didn't look like it got in the way at all

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Christmas is coming, gang...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Archived