TESTERS WANTED! ×

Recommendations for Newbie

golftiger

Hey all... I'm just now getting into Golf and wanted to come out to the net and find out what everyone's recommendations for my first set of clubs should be. Should I focus on keeping them the same brand? Does the length matter? I figured I could go to a goodwill or play it again sports and get a set pretty cheap but I wanted to do a little more research. Thanks in advance

Well first off forgivness and high handicap clubs are your friend. I wouldn't spend to much on clubs but get something decent. Maybe get a set from sports authority that is made for high handicap players. I've seen beginner sets go for like $200 with everything included. The brand of clubs does not have to match but if you buy a beginner set they most likely will. If you are real serious about taking up golf spend some money on golf clubs, doesn't have to be fancy, and then go buy like 5 private lessons from a local pro. Also if your a 20-50 I say get stiff shafted clubs you will most likely have the swing speed for these clubs and regular shafts will just be to whippy for you. Also there is a huge difference between male and female clubs so make sure you get what you need.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

My best advice: ask around and find a good, honest, and local golf shop. Go there and have them help you find a quality used set of irons, and mix and match the rest based on price and quality. Even better, would be to find an educated golfer you know and trust and help them find you some clubs.

The other way to go, if you are just going to dabble in golf and not sure about sticking with it, is to go to Sam's or Costco and buy the full get-up, bag and all. They won't be the best clubs...but they'll be of decent quality, have some current technology, and save you some money on putting it all together.

When I started 2 years ago, I went to Sports Authority and bought a $300 set that included irons, 2 hybrids, 2 woods, a Driver, a putter and a bag. I wasn't sure if golf would be a thing I would stick with so it was a good deal... over the last 2 years I have slowly been replacing clubs as I needed, and in a couple months I will have a complete set that suits my needs as a golfer... All total it would probably have ended up costing me about $1000 over 2 years including my original set, but I really enjoy the game...

I play with a couple guys who play the boxed sets exclusively, and it works for them... either way, for me it was a cheap and easy way to find out I enjoyed the game...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Here's my two cents:

1) Do not worry about keeping one brand throughout the bag.

2) Avoid the "bag in a box" set. I say this for 2 reasons: 1 - If you decide to stick with the game, you will have quality clubs that you don't need to replace immediately and 2 - If you decide to quit golf, you can get some money back from selling them. As far as what you should buy, check out a local golf shop, if possible, and talk to someone there. They should be able to find some used clubs that will suit a beginner at a fair price.

Good luck!

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Brands mean nothing, every person is different. The most important thing now is like stated above, find a local shop, and get fitted. Hit lots, and lots of different sets, until you find the right set for you feel wise, and the fitter agrees.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Here is my two cents;

Find a PGA Professional in your area. Let him or her work with you to see your skill level, live and in person and let that person recommend what is best for you and your swing.

Golf forums can be fun, but there are MUCH better ways to begin playing this game than seeking advice from the internet.

Great link for you; http://www.pga.com/profinder/

Driver: Titleist 915 D3 11.5* 42.50"
3 Wood: Titleist 915 F 15*  40.25"
5 Wood: Titleist 915 F 18* 39.50"
7 Wood: Titleist 915 F 21* 39.25"
Hybrids: Titleist 913 H 24* 38.50" & 27* 37.50" 
Irons: Titleist DCI 990 6 thru 9 -0.5"
Wedges: Titleist DCI 990 49* and Vokey SM 52.08 & 56.14 -0.5"
Ball: Titleist 2015 Pro V1x
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Newport w/SS 3.0 34.00"

"Golf doesn't build character; it reveals it."

Hey all... I'm just now getting into Golf and wanted to come out to the net and find out what everyone's recommendations for my first set of clubs should be. Should I focus on keeping them the same brand? Does the length matter? I figured I could go to a goodwill or play it again sports and get a set pretty cheap but I wanted to do a little more research. Thanks in advance

Get a deal on a set of Cleveland Launcher irons. Not that expensive through many outlets and great performers. I bought these for my sons, and they play just great.

Another way of thinking. I bought my only set Ping ISI Becu in 1999 when I decided to take up golf. I bought them on Ping's reputation and because I loved the way they looked. I as well realized I would have to grow into these clubs. If I decided golf was not for me it would be very easy to sell them.

I know many people that laughed at me spending the money while they went out and bought no-name clones etc. Some of these people have gone and replaced their clubs sometimes more than once during a season let alone having seen their clubheads go flying off.

If price is a determining factor, there are many very decent clubs available used that you will be proud to own and with the money you will save, go and start having some lessons.

My way, cost effective. Their way see the second paragraph again. :)

I just thought of another option that might be good for you. There are some "very good" component clubs available. If you're interested in this route, contact a very good and old friend of mine Mike Tait (http://www.smtgolf.com/index.asp) he is the President/owner/designer and use my name, Maverickping and he will provide you with the right assistance.

Archived