Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

SLDR vs Covert - Revisited

The Dansome

• SPY VIP

A while back I had a chance to visit my local TM Performance Center and part of it was a driver fitting pitting my current gamer against a SLDR and this happened....

ROUND 1:

Covert 9.5* set to draw with stock Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 50 Stiff

VS.

SLDR 9.5 set to draw with Fujikura’s Speeder 57g Stiff

RESULTS:

SLDR out gunned the Covert by a few yards

ROUND 2:

Covert 9.5* set to draw with stock Mitsubishi Rayon Kuro Kage Black 50 Stiff

VS.

SLDR 10.5 slight draw with Motore Speeder 6.3 67g Stiff

RESULTS:

BOOM!

taylormade-player-center-review-chart.jpg

*Add 10% to yardages due to 90% balls used

MBP and MGS forever immortalized on the SLDR Experience LeaderBoard.

taylormade-player-center-review-21yards.jpg

Kirk went on for 10 or so more Tweets educating the masses on a proper fitting.

So things kinda blew up.... People were going nuts saying the Covert was not properly fitted and even more so the shafts were not equal therefore the tests were invalid. My argument was if the Covert had been fit by a Nike representative and he found my numbers to my optimal then how could said testing be invalid? Both companies had fit me to what they saw best.

So since I'm a nice guy and love to give the people what they want I got a hold of some comparable Nike shaft offerings in an attempt to level the playing field.

My Nike rep was able to get me 3 shafts:

Fuji Fuel 60 S

Oban kiyoshi white 65 S

ProForce VTS 65 S

After doing a fitting of all 3 shafts the Fuji Fuel was settled on as now "optimal", numbers looking great and most of all added distance. As I said before I hit the Covert straighter than any driver to date, but apparently it's all about the distance. Don't worry I hit the Fuji just as straight.

OK enough blabbering you all just wanna know what happened.

So on a cold and foggy evening I returned to the site of our last showdown. Numbers all around were down a good 10% thanks to the cold heavy air and my old bones squeaked as I tried to turn... Andy ran the SLDR again and tried both the Fuji Fuel and the Motore Speeder this time. In the end distance between the 2 shafts was pretty much a saw off, basically a half yard here and there. But for me the Motore in this set up is noticeably straighter so I'm sticking with it.

Anyways we ran some tests and someone is already trying to steal my new catch phrase. #therewego

So in the end here's where we're at.

ROUND 3:

Covert 9.5* neutral with stock Fuji Fuel 60 Stiff

VS.

SLDR 10.5 slight draw with Motore Speeder 6.3 67g Stiff

The Final Results Are:

sldrvscovertfuji.jpg

That's still 14 yards.

Hope this helps.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

some pretty respectable number there.  Covert SP/RPM a little higher,  Id be happy with either or as long as the all is in the fairway.  If you feel more confident with the SLDR, Id bag it !!!!  did you try Covert, 10.5, one/two click Draw ? 

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

• SPY VIP

some pretty respectable number there.  Covert SP/RPM a little higher,  Id be happy with either or as long as the all is in the fairway.  If you feel more confident with the SLDR, Id bag it !!!!  did you try Covert, 10.5, one/two click Draw ? 

10.5 in the Covert ballooned and draw didn't really effect it. I was hitting that combo pretty damn straight when I wasn't healing them.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Guess I gotta add the SLDR to the list of what to try for next season. Wish I had one of these fitting centers here. Looked like a great time MBP.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

So does this mean you're gonna get a sldr?

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Wish anyplace around here did real fitting where they do anything more than grab stock offerings and *maybe* adjust an adjustable head and watch LM numbers ( that doesn't charge $650 for the privilege ).

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I think we're gonna play around with tweaking the Covert for the time being. More interested in what else I can get out of it.

Seems like there's plenty left in the tank for the covert. Maybe not 14 more yards but enough to hold on. Plus that red is dope lol

Great test Dan.

I read dru's lament and agree whole heartedly -

One can get a fitting like this one - you can try any shaft/head combo and setting but it will cost - generally around $500.  But generally that's for one OEM and one OEM only - so if you want the gamut you see the issue. 

At any rate I'm still exceedingly happy with my R11s and see myself using it for another few years before I'm concerned about making changes.   I've swung a random other driver here or there but it hasn't been close yet.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• SPY VIP

Guess I gotta add the SLDR to the list of what to try for next season. Wish I had one of these fitting centers here. Looked like a great time MBP.

SLDR stuff is soooooo good. Driver, fairway, and especially the rescue. Top to bottom just an insanely good lineup. Keep in mind, this was supposed to be the 10th anniversary of adjustability release. They wanted something special, and for better or worse, bumped the release up in part to get it out to the tour guys faster, but also because of market conditions. It's just a really really good lineup.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

SLDR stuff is soooooo good. Driver, fairway, and especially the rescue. Top to bottom just an insanely good lineup. Keep in mind, this was supposed to be the 10th anniversary of adjustability release. They wanted something special, and for better or worse, bumped the release up in part to get it out to the tour guys faster, but also because of market conditions. It's just a really really good lineup.

ya gotta say I had a chance to hit the fairways and rescues too. Absolutely phenomenal.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

ya gotta say I had a chance to hit the fairways and rescues too. Absolutely phenomenal.

Are the fairways less mini driver and more tight lies style?

Archived