Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Retailer Edwin Watts Golf Shops files for bankruptcy (www.reuters.com)

Moecat

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/04/edwinwattsgolf-bankruptcy-idUSL3N0IP1FV20131104

Nov 4 (Reuters) - U.S. golf retailer Edwin Watts Golf Shops LLC filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection early on Monday, a court filing showed.

The retailer, owned by private equity firm Sun Capital Partners Inc, listed out estimated liabilities and assets of $100 million to $500 million.

The Fort Walton Beach, Florida-based company sells golf equipment,apparel, and accessories through its more than 88 domestic retail stores and also via its web portal.

The case is Edwin Watts Golf Shops LLC, Case No. 13-12877, U.S.Bankruptcy Court, District of Delaware.

This should be interesting.  Chapter 11 is generally a reorg effort to dump boat anchor debt.  I would imagine that this is a move to let the divest some severely underperforming stores and shed some over expansion debt.  It will be interesting to see the plan when it gets filed.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Very interesting.  "Watts" use to be my choice of BIG Box stores when I needed supplies.  The problem that I see is that they started to carry garbage and garbage does not move.  Now the only reason I visit is to have some work done by one of their Master Club builders which happens to be one of the best in that trade.  Hope they can pull out of this, it would be a shame to see them close the doors for good.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

For the past several years, I stop by a local Edwin Watts to browse on my way home from work.....I have made purchases there over the years.......and chat with the guys.

However, I cannot recall stopping by, usually after work...5:00 - 6:00 timeframe and seeing more than one or two other customers in the store.

Best of luck to them!

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

JB:

There use to be one at the corner of Virginia Beach BLVD and Newtown road that I use to go to all of the time.  Tim was the Manger, small shop, great customer service...

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Never have been to one. I think the closest one to me is in Charlotte NC. The competition had heated up here at the beach with the new Golfsmith store competiting with PGA Superstore and another local "big box" store called Golf Deminsions. I do like the new Golfsmith store at the beach though. I mostly shop for clubmaking supplies which is real handy for me since I work near it 3 days a week. I don't usually look at the new stuff from the so called OEM manufacturers because I am into the custom component stuff (not clones). Their staff is really friendly and helpful. Lately though in the last couple or month or so their clubmaking stock has drastically dwindled and they have not restocked it yet so I may have to go back and order from Maltby or Diamond Tour etc.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Edwin Watts bought out one of the best local golf shops in the KC area, taking over a couple good sized stores in prime shopping areas.  They seem to be doing pretty well here although it has been a long time since I have made a purchase there.  I prefer to support my course or one of my two favorite local shops.

There's a ton of competition though, at one of thier locations Edwin Watts has Dicks Sporting Goods, GolfSmith, and Golf Galaxy within 1/2 a mile.  I often wonder how one of those stores can survive, much less all of them!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

JB,  can't be as bad as the selection at Golf headquarters in Greenbriar in back of Target.  Dave is a cool guy though.....

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

Stopped by EW in Tampa (Dale Mabry Hwy) after work tonight…….everything looks like business as usual……no more than 6 people in store….I was there for about 30 minutes…..no closeouts.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Bet the staff doesn't even know.

WITB
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

• 1 month later...

Stopped by the Tampa EW on Dale Mabry Hwy last night.......

Big Signs across the front of the store:

"STORE CLOSING"

"All Items 10 to 30% off"

Now this store is only 3 to 4 years old...as they relocated from a small storefront to this giant store......again, only a handful of customers in the store at 5:30 PM.

I also noted that all New clubs are marked 10% Off.

• 2 weeks later...

I read on another golf blog today (gasp!) that the store in Charleston SC was closing. The writer further stated that the one in Myrtle Beach was closing. Guess what? There has never been a Edwin Watts in Myrtle Beach. So I do not know if that poster knows what he is talking about or not

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

In Atlanta they are closing all but one store.  eyeballing an r1 xstiff @199.  will bull the trigger if it survives the next round of discounts....

WITB
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Archived