Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Buyer's Guide Lineup - Carry/Stand Bag

GolfSpy Tim

Buyer's Guide Lineup - Carry/Stand Bags

We're just weeks away from the release of our Carry/Stand Bag Buyer's Guide.

bags1.JPG

All of the bags are in and are in the process of being poked, proded, loaded, and unloaded, carried, and possibly abused.

We've got bags from:

Nike

Sun Mountain

Wilson

Ogio

TRUE Linkswear

Travis Mathew

Izzo

Bridgestone

Taylormade

Ping

Callaway

Oakley

Mizuno

Datrek

Loudmouth

Club Glove

Jones

Orlimar.

Pushing nearly 30 bags in total, chances are, we've got your next bag lined up.

bags2.JPG

So - which bag are you most excited to hear about? What one thing is most important to you when choosing your next bag?

Sad that Bagboy didn't decide to join the party. My biggest criteria in bag choice is some sort of technology to stop the clanking when riding in a cart.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I'm interested in seeing how the redesign of the Ping Hoofer works out, we sell a load of those and the rep told me they are a little heavier this version.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

hckymeyer - does the clanking matter on a carry/stand bag for you, or more on a cart bag?

PGA_09 - does weight make a huge difference you think in buying decision? or would the added weight be ok depending upon the features added?

whiskey golf - I agree ;-)

hckymeyer - does the clanking matter on a carry/stand bag for you, or more on a cart bag?

PGA_09 - does weight make a huge difference you think in buying decision? or would the added weight be ok depending upon the features added?

It matters to the guys who walk my course, and I'm sure the caddies prefer lighter weight. I think if the newer features justify the slight weight increase then they will be fine with it. If not the 4 series is an option.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Since I have a cart and live on a course I wouldn't ever by a stand/carry bag. If I walk it's with a clickgear so I guess it only applies to cart bags for me. I do currently own a Bagboy Revolver LE and I'm very happy with it, but I'm still always curious about other silencing/club securing bags. I know Ogio offers one and I thought there was another company too but I can't remember the name.

My only complaint with the Revolver is that nothing larger than a Superstroke 3.0 would fit in the putter well.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Crap I just bought Oakley's latest stand bag...

Now I have to go about and read how I (probably) made yet another poor choice in life. So much suck in my golf decisions lately.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

i'm interested to see how the orlimar bag(s?) do. i think its sad that this little company fell so far down the rabbit hole, and hope to see them come back to the fold- they seem to be reasonably priced/featured, so maybe they can regain some reputation points... i remeber being very impressed with their 318uc urethane balls a while back- performance was on par with other tour balls, imo, and they were priced pretty well, but i couldnt find them anywhere...

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

Things I look for.

1. Lightweight with double straps, easy to slide on and off.

2. Good stand: easy to pop out legs, strong, etc.

3. Simplicity: just a couple pockets. The old pings with three pockets are perfect. 2 small on the carry side. 1 larger for your pocket stuff, and other junk. Small one for new good balls and tees.

Big one on the other side to hold your sweater or jacket when u need to take it off. The old ping bags really were perfect in that small gap where it was the old bag but with the new double strap.

I always walk and need a new bag. You need a tester?

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

I really like the looks the Bridgestone bag (front and center in the 2nd photo). If it performs, I will be looking a little closer. I do not have any Bridgestone clubs and I do not use Bridgestone balls but their bags do look cool. Callaway has some nice looking ones as well. I am very interested in your results, they do tend to sway my thinking. 

Thanks for setting this up.

I would like to find a bag with 14 full length dividers. While I always ride in a cart, it would be nice to have a bag with "stand" capabilty when practicing, but not @ $250.00+. I will be anticapating more great reviews.

Since I have a cart and live on a course I wouldn't ever by a stand/carry bag. If I walk it's with a clickgear so I guess it only applies to cart bags for me. I do currently own a Bagboy Revolver LE and I'm very happy with it, but I'm still always curious about other silencing/club securing bags. I know Ogio offers one and I thought there was another company too but I can't remember the name.

My only complaint with the Revolver is that nothing larger than a Superstroke 3.0 would fit in the putter well.

That other manufacturer is Bennington I believe. I use their QO-12 and am very satisfied so far with the build quality as well as functionality in terms of preventing the clubs from clanking. It is a cart bag though. 

D: Ping G400 Max, MRC Tensei Pro Orange 60 TX

3+w: Callaway Rogue, Aldila Synergy 60 S

3H, 4H: TBD

5i: MP18 Fli-hi, 6i-8i: MP18 SC, 9i-PW: MP18, MRC OTi 100 S

50, 55, 60: Edel 

I have had many golf bags and still have around 5 different ones left in my collection. But when it comes to a walking bag in the 5 lib range is no problem as long as it has the pockets I need and hopefully full length 14 way divider. Sick of always getting the club grips caught up trying to put club either in or out of the bag. especially when your walking it needs to be stress free that your not always finagling with the clubs. I love my Club Glove walker bag that is now over 10 years old. Thing is it's a great bag with excellent straps only downfall if any is getting clubs in and out of bag,,,,, but that's almost every bag! but when it comes to versatility the Club Glove bag has it all as you can add and subtract as many pockets as you like... that said my 12 year old Club Glove bag has finally failed as the snap buttons it used for interchanging pockets broke and now i can't use one of the features it had before. But in all seriousness I haven't even really looked at any new bags as most times now I'm interested in Staff bags for the cart that have certain appeal. I'm sure the technology has gotten a bit better since my favorite walking bag has been made.... but most I've seen just don't really make me feel like I have to have "that one".

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Here's a pick of the Club Glove bag I've used for years.... and still do occasionally: All the pockets on the sides have Velcro and buttons that can be removed to your liking.

ABEAUTIFULCOLLECTIONFORSALE020.jpgABEAUTIFULCOLLECTIONFORSALE019.jpgABEAUTIFULCOLLECTIONFORSALE018.jpg

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472