TESTERS WANTED! ×

Masters welcome isn’t warm for Tiger Woods

Addicted2Golf

Aside from the Tiger aspect of this, I found the statement (in bold) by Master's Chairman Billy Payne to be very "interesting".

---------------------------------------------------

Masters welcome isn't warm for Tiger Woods

Augusta National Chairman Billy Payne makes it clear his tournament doesn't need Tiger Woods

Bill Plaschke

AUGUSTA, Ga. — Finally, stunningly, the Masters bit back.

After three weeks of being tossed about in the relentless grip of Tiger Woods' sex scandal comeback, the staid golf tournament has found its legs and bared its teeth.

In a monologue at the beginning of his annual news conference Wednesday, Augusta National Chairman Billy Payne basically ripped the stripes off Tiger.

There's no green jacket you can drape on it. There's no azalea you can plant over it. It was, as they say here, a torching unlike any other.

Just when it appeared Woods was bigger than the Masters, the Masters told him to stuff a red polo shirt in it. In the middle of what appeared to be a fawning welcome back from his five-week exile, the Masters dragged him into a corner and pounded him with a full amen.

"We are not unaware of the significance of this week to a very special player, Tiger Woods,'' Payne said, setting the stage. ‘'As he ascended in our rankings of the world's great golfers, he became an example to our kids that success is directly attributable to hard work and effort.''

Then, with the same southern voice and syrup expression, the boss leveled him.

‘'But, as he now says himself, he forgot in the process to remember that with fame and fortune comes responsibility, not invisibility,'' Payne said. ‘'It is not simply the degree of his conduct that is so egregious here; it is the fact that he disappointed all of us, and more importantly, our kids and our grandkids.

‘'Is there a way forward? I hope, yes. I think, yes. But certainly his future will never again be measured only by his performance against par but … by the sincerity of his efforts to change. I hope he now realizes that every kid he passes on the course wants his swing but would settle for his smile.''

You wondered whether Augusta National was pleased that Woods chose its protective environment for his escape from the allegations of nearly two dozen alleged mistresses and the suspicions surrounding an HGH doctor? This is your answer.

Payne not only implied that the Masters didn't want Woods' comeback to occur here, but also essentially reminded everyone that, unlike other tournaments, its revenue is not dependent on Woods playing here.

"We have no economic connection whatsoever to how many people watch TV, don't watch TV, how many people come, don't come … there's no financial connection whatsoever,'' Payne said.

This is why, what the other players couldn't say on Tuesday, Payne could deliver with authority on Wednesday. The other players need Woods. The Masters doesn't.

Link

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

They don't fool around, but I don't find those comments out of line. The fact it was after his new confrence, says he wanted to make sure Tiger owned up to all the wrong doing before he made his statement.

I 100% believe that Master's is the only tournament that can do this though, they could tell all the sponsors to stuff it again, throw Tiger out, and still be the highest rated golf tournament ever.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I sure hope he doesn't win this weekend, contention is fine with me, but we need some good people stepping up, and a new face of golf.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

wether or not he realizes it the masters does need him, golf needs him. more people watch and more people pay attention to the game when he is playing. he is the number one player in the world and deserves respect. I wish Mr. Payne wouldve made this a private conversation between him and tiger and not had to relay it to the public....not the way i wouldve handled it.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

wether or not he realizes it the masters does need him, golf needs him. more people watch and more people pay attention to the game when he is playing. he is the number one player in the world and deserves respect. I wish Mr. Payne wouldve made this a private conversation between him and tiger and not had to relay it to the public....not the way i wouldve handled it.

Billy too proud of Billy.

Posted Image

As great as the Masters is, it, and golf, need Tiger right now and for the foreseeable future. That, or they will need to adjust their expectations in terms of sponsorship dollars and things of that nature.

I'm not sure what Billy Payne thought he was accomplishing with this. He didn't say anything that hasn't been said in the last 100+ days, and really didn't say much that Tiger didn't say himself. Is his need to see his own name in the papers that great? This really brings down the class of Augusta in my eyes.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

This seems like a statement that could have been issued before Wednesday of the tournament week. If he is really about Tiger not being the central focus of the Master's, then why bring it up right when the tournament is getting going.

More power to him to speak his mind. To me, although his words are on the surface sharp, this is still a "we love Tiger" response. Because of the uniqueness of the Master's funding, they could have easily banned Tiger from playing this year if Mr. Payne was truly angry and wanting to make a real statement about it.

His future will be without a doubt still be measured by "his performance against par". Billy, meet Kobe.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Surely the Masters organisers have as much invested as anyone, in keeping the Tiger story alive and well? I'm sure its not hurting their TV revenue much. I'm not sure the statement is completely without self-interest.

Current Handicap (UK)

Current Bag

Cobra S9.1 10.5 + 3W

Cobra SZ 3I-9I, PW, GW

Vokey 52 & 60

Rife 400 Series Half Mallet

Surely the Masters organisers have as much invested as anyone, in keeping the Tiger story alive and well? I'm sure its not hurting their TV revenue much. I'm not sure the statement is completely without self-interest.

I disagree.

The statement was not necessary except to fulfill the desire of Payne to be in the limelight. He said nothing that was not already known nor understood and departed from the behaviour of past Augusta chairmen who did much but said nothing until something needed to be said.

Shambles

I disagree.

The statement was not necessary except to fulfill the desire of Payne to be in the limelight. He said nothing that was not already known nor understood and departed from the behaviour of past Augusta chairmen who did much but said nothing until something needed to be said.

Shambles

Well, I think we can safely say we're in uncharted, and unprecedented waters, (and TV audiences) - so is it so surprising to get someone splashing around in it? All I'm saying is that his unnecessary statement hasn't harmed the TV viewing figures in any way surely?

Current Handicap (UK)

Current Bag

Cobra S9.1 10.5 + 3W

Cobra SZ 3I-9I, PW, GW

Vokey 52 & 60

Rife 400 Series Half Mallet

Pretty simple: He's a guest at their house.....their party.

Just like if you had parties and had a friend begin to act poorly and get a bad reputation. You may not want to have him back over and be closely associated with him....so you give him a little warning to knock it off or you'll have to dis-associate.

Archived