Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Speed Review! TaylorMade SpeedBlade vs. RocketBladez

The Dansome

• 1 month later...

Okay I just took advantage of global golfs juiced trade in offer. I have $400 credit and want to use it towards a GI distance iron, I also need a three wood but that can wait.

So rocket blades, speed blades or Callaway hot?

Any thoughts remembering that rockets will basically be free?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Okay I just took advantage of global golfs juiced trade in offer. I have $400 credit and want to use it towards a GI distance iron, I also need a three wood but that can wait.

So rocket blades, speed blades or Callaway hot?

Any thoughts remembering that rockets will basically be free?

I'm piggy backing your question except my contenders are Speedblades, 825 Pro's or EZ Forged

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I bag the 825 pro, and they're super solid. But I think I like the speed blades a hair better. They're 1/2 a club longer and feel great. But the CBs are even better. If I had my money to spend over again, I'd buy the CBs

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I bag the 825 pro, and they're super solid. But I think I like the speed blades a hair better. They're 1/2 a club longer and feel great. But the CBs are even better. If I had my money to spend over again, I'd buy the CBs

Two matters to answer your question from before.

1. I have i20's and 820 pros so if I wanted to go cb type in the bag I have it already. I want to go GI and I want distance for a contrast to those two options.

2. It's about the money. I don't want to take much if anything out of pocket.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

If that's the case, you're buying an extra club of distance with the rocketblades. But it's basically free. Easy sell.

BTW, when I said CBs before, I meant the Tylormade CB line. Best iron I've ever hit. Period.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

Two matters to answer your question from before.

1. I have i20's and 820 pros so if I wanted to go cb type in the bag I have it already. I want to go GI and I want distance for a contrast to those two options.

2. It's about the money. I don't want to take much if anything out of pocket.

Seems like the Speedblades got the MBP stamp of approval between the two.  If you go hit them I'd be interested in hearing the results.  I may try and hit them vs my Amp Cells this week before I get too crazy bidding on ebay.

If that's the case, you're buying an extra club of distance with the rocketblades. But it's basically free. Easy sell.

BTW, when I said CBs before, I meant the Tylormade CB line. Best iron I've ever hit. Period.

I did know exactly what you meant - the problem with blogs, emails, forums is you can't see the person to know what he is thinking, I have hit the TMag CB's at a demo day - I thought they were great but not significantly different from the i20's that I'd considering laying at $900.

Either the Rocketbladz's or the Callaways would be free or close to it so that will be a consideration vs. the Speed bladz's.  I've hit the Rocketbladz's a number of times.  In fact I demo'd them before anyone else because they had just arrived when I went for my TMag fitting.  I was the first one to hit the graphite shafted ones at the performance center at Sawgrass, period.  I have a friend who has them and we play together a lot so I've hit his any number of times - his are 1/2 over standard with a big time extra thick grip so they aren't exactly what I'd end up with. 

I really like the look of the speedblades, smaller profile and the finish is different.  I have to decide if that's worth $200 or not I guess.  Five yards with irons isn't, tighter dispersion would be, an iron set that will last me 3 years will be too - of course I don't know that I would ultimately even bag them as I'm playing reasonably good golf with the i20's.  I'm not as long with them as I'd like though. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

In that case, I'll have to hit the i20s. Not that I'll buy them.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

In that case, I'll have to hit the i20s. Not that I'll buy them.

Depending on what you might want to spend you should try the i25's.  I actually think they are more comporable to the Mizuno MP 54's than the 825 pros other than the fact that they aren't as soft if you will.  Less offset, smaller profile but there is some forgiveness - they are a very nice club.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I guess you just have to have the Swing Speed to do them right........I'm on the lower side for swing speed, so I'll stick to the Cobra's.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I guess you just have to have the Swing Speed to do them right........I'm on the lower side for swing speed, so I'll stick to the Cobra's.

I don't think swing speed has much to do with this one - different shafts take care of the swing speed issue - I think it's more a swing repeatability thing.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Well if you bid on enough auctions eventually you'll win one.  Speedblades are on the way to MN for me.

Well if you bid on enough auctions eventually you'll win one.  Speedblades are on the way to MN for me.

What auction site did you use?  How much did you get them for?  Oh and congrats.

I'm still very much up in the air here - plus I had my Mizuno 800 pros out a couple of days ago and was thinking, why not juice these things and then buy a SCOR 50, 46 - that's the issue I had with the 800 pros - the GW and PW are too big looking for my taste.  But if I juiced the lofts, bought the SCORs I would have my distance irons that way and then could use the credit at global golf for something else.

Any thoughts on that strategy?  Right now the Mizunos would be my number 3 set of irons.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

That's exactly what I did when I got my 825 pros. Adjusted lofts a hair to avoid gaps, and bagged the MP-T4 GW, SW, and LW.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

What auction site did you use? How much did you get them for? Oh and congrats.

I'm still very much up in the air here - plus I had my Mizuno 800 pros out a couple of days ago and was thinking, why not juice these things and then buy a SCOR 50, 46 - that's the issue I had with the 800 pros - the GW and PW are too big looking for my taste. But if I juiced the lofts, bought the SCORs I would have my distance irons that way and then could use the credit at global golf for something else.

Any thoughts on that strategy? Right now the Mizunos would be my number 3 set of irons.

Strengthen the lofts might give you the extra distance but you may lose height and spin on your shots so you may find that they won't be able to stop on the greens like you're used to.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

What auction site did you use?  How much did you get them for?  Oh and congrats.

I'm still very much up in the air here - plus I had my Mizuno 800 pros out a couple of days ago and was thinking, why not juice these things and then buy a SCOR 50, 46 - that's the issue I had with the 800 pros - the GW and PW are too big looking for my taste.  But if I juiced the lofts, bought the SCORs I would have my distance irons that way and then could use the credit at global golf for something else.

Any thoughts on that strategy?  Right now the Mizunos would be my number 3 set of irons.

I went through ebay, got a set of 4-AW with DG S300 for $490.  I'll end up pulling the shafts anyway, I have a set of C-Tapers S+ that I will shim and use in them.

I do see Global Golf has either 4-AW or 5-SW for $519 though.  From the reviews I've read and hitting the Speedblades at the Kingdom trip I would say they are worth spending an extra $100 bucks on.  Not to say that you would like the Speedblade wedges, but the AW and SW are much more "wedge like" than the Mizzy GW.  The PW may still be a problem for you though as that does match the rest of the irons.

Great advice, thanks aguys.

Mr. Theo I've adjusted lofts on many of my irons in the past, a tweak stronger, weaker, I've never had an issue with spin or trajectory - also Mizuno is known for being easy to bend and adjust - if anything they're too easy - you have to regularly check your lofts and your lies with those guys.

I'm not a high spin player but I rarely have trouble holding greens.  Anyway even if I did the bulk of my season is played in conditions that make it ridiculously easy to hold the green even when you've bladed a shot.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Seems like the Speedblades got the MBP stamp of approval between the two.  If you go hit them I'd be interested in hearing the results.  I may try and hit them vs my Amp Cells this week before I get too crazy bidding on ebay.

I really hit the speed blades well today. When I'm hitting 6 irons 172 and the dispersion is as good as my current 6 iron that I hit 162. It was so easy.

If you didn't see it elsewhere the hybrid was really the bomb for me.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I really hit the speed blades well today. When I'm hitting 6 irons 172 and the dispersion is as good as my current 6 iron that I hit 162. It was so easy.

If you didn't see it elsewhere the hybrid was really the bomb for me.

My set came in on Thurs and I rebuilt them over the weekend.  Snuck out Sunday night for 7 holes and then played 18 today.  So far I really like them, very forgiving on less than center contact shots and it feels like maybe half a club longer than the Amp Cells.  Now I really need to get some practice time in so i can dial in the yardages.

Which hybrid did you hit?  We got to hit both the Jetspeed and SLDR hybrids at the kingdom.  Both felt much better than the RBZ on turf interaction, but I preferred the heavier shaft in the SLDR line.

I hit the Jetspeed. I clearly lost some club head speed when I had pneumonia a couple of years ago. I've gotten a bit back by working on the core and using that momentus light shaft, ball thingy but not all of it. Clearly I'm at a stage in life where lighter interacts better with my swing.

Thanks for the info on the turf interaction. I didn't get to feel that with the hybrid because I was hitting off a mat.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived