Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2014 Winn Pro X Putter Grips

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Doesn't take long for the big boys to come in and compete (copy & paste) when they see a successful product in their sector.

Question is: Will SuperStroke continue to grow and thrive with all the new competition?

wpx60-bks.png

wpx32-bgy.png

wpx18-rcg.png

#TruthDigest

I do not believe they will.  People who buy these have putting problems.  This grip may cover some of those problems but soon they find that the problems return. 

I have seen an number of people, including myself, try out the big grips.  Bottom line is this grip takes the small muscles out of the putting stroke and thus the feel or feedback you get from the smaller muscles.  In many instances it counters the natural flow that was built into the putter by design.  If you are putting on bent grass perfectly quaffed greens that may be good, but it takes some of the "feel" away. 

People are too fixated on the line and when they miss a putt they immediately think they did not read it properly.  The reality is that they may have had the right line just the wrong speed.

Speed is the dominate issue on the green and it dictates the line.  The big grips mask the feel for the speed.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I don't really like the looks of the Winn grips. I believe SuperStroke is the best with this category since they offer them in different sizes, colors, shapes, etc. And I think whatever works for the player is what he should play, putting is mainly about feel so I don't think all of the technical stuff needs to apply to it. For example, Jason Dufner doesn't seem to have a problem with oversized grips. 

For example, Jason Dufner doesn't seem to have a problem with oversized grips. 

Jason Dufner is 146th in putting overall and 164th in putts inside 5 feet.  Not exactly a putter to be emulated.  But he is cool.

I'm sure they will put a dent in the Super Stroke business, but if big tournaments keep being won by guys with Super Stroke grips, they will maintain momentum. They are easy pick out on television, and Tour success drives the consumer to certain products.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

I'm sure they will put a dent in the Super Stroke business, but if big tournaments keep being won by guys with Super Stroke grips, they will maintain momentum. They are easy pick out on television, and Tour success drives the consumer to certain products.

Can't argue with that, but this is similar to the question about the best driver and the most wanted driver.  The two are not necessarily the same.  The Super Stroke grip may not be the answer to most golfer's problems, but at $22 or whatever it is something that most will have to try for themselves.  Meanwhile, Super Strokes will continue to pay the pros to play their grip.

This is where having a unique and recognizable design is key. Taylor Made did it with white drivers, with the exception of the Cobra Encore limited edition, make something that is instantly recognizable, and get it in the hands of guys who are on TV a lot and it's advertising. When Luke Donald was near or at the top of the OWGR, he played a white TM driver even while on staff with Mizuno, there was no hiding that due to the obvious design. Super Stroke has that with big tome players getting lots of TV time using a grip that stands out. There was even a thread on another forum about Tiger testing a Super Stroke grip, I'm not sure him testing a Winn grip would have drawn that much attention.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

I keep forgetting to mention this part, but it does not fit well in most bags.  Lots of guys at my club tried them and complained about them not fitting in the bag but they did not care because it really really helped.  Then a month later, they were no longer making putts anymore because the problem was more than likely not the grip to begin with, and now all of a sudden the not fitting in the bag well became an issue so they went away.

I decided to try one.  But there were so many different sizes.  So I wrapped Ace Bandages around a standard putter grip to see which one worked best.  I removed the bandages and started out 2" down to 1 1/2" 1" etc...  Come to find out that the smaller the grip the better I putted and I had been using a mid size grip for a number of months.  I went with a regular size pistol and have putted the best with it.  Then I went with a MicroPerforated Best Grip and like it even more.

The Ace Bandage trick is something I suggest everyone use to determine which if any of these work for you.  I also went to the PGA Superstore and tried some with a Super Stroke grip and did not have good results.

For that matter, I lusted after a Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 for almost a year.  It just looked so great to me at address.  Only problem is it does not fit my stroke and I could not make a putt with it, so I got over that.  I was offered a trade of a 2.6 recently and would not take it.

The following was posted on another thread about Green Reading.  I just thought I would put a copy here since this is what we are talking about here also.

I went the Super Stroke Grip Route for a while and I got pretty bad at putting. I switched to one of my real old TP Mills Putters (#9) and it had a conventional grip and I went back to putting good again. What the problem was is that I use the "arc" method and the big grip was keeping me from rolling my wrists and closing the face at impact. I took the SS grip off of my old Zing II and installed a std size Winn AVS and went back to putting well again. I don't know what the heck I was thinking on installing that SS grip. Now I am ok. I have had some of these gurus tell me in the past that I have a flaw in my putting stroke but I made a lot of money with that flaw.

It's strange but I've been getting the weight much better with a Fatso grip fitted, now I think the important thing is that we are all different and what suits one won't another.

I'm making a better stroke at the moment, so weight and direction improve.

But I'm coming from such a low point that 30/31 putts feels amazing.

I like the super stroke, it was an easy fit and easy to align. If the Winn is cheaper that will be an issue for Superstroke - can their business model work if others are 5 bucks cheaper and very similar?

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

I like the super stroke, it was an easy fit and easy to align. If the Winn is cheaper that will be an issue for Superstroke - can their business model work if others are 5 bucks cheaper and very similar?

I don't think it will affect SuperStroke that much. A lot of people are used to the SuperStroke and the Winns have a different pattern, I don't think loyal customers will see the point in switching over $5. Unless they are really cheap.

• 1 month later...

i play the tiger shark midsize grip, and the shape is the same as a regular putter grip, its just bigger, its not the same size from top to bottom like the SS, i dont care for the SS, but the tiger shark is soft and feels right. however when i get my new putter i will be working with Best Grips (zach) to come up with something sweet.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

The following was posted on another thread about Green Reading.  I just thought I would put a copy here since this is what we are talking about here also.

LOL Wonder who would make that sort of statement??

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I keep forgetting to mention this part, but it does not fit well in most bags.  Lots of guys at my club tried them and complained about them not fitting in the bag but they did not care because it really really helped.  Then a month later, they were no longer making putts anymore because the problem was more than likely not the grip to begin with, and now all of a sudden the not fitting in the bag well became an issue so they went away.

I decided to try one.  But there were so many different sizes.  So I wrapped Ace Bandages around a standard putter grip to see which one worked best.  I removed the bandages and started out 2" down to 1 1/2" 1" etc...  Come to find out that the smaller the grip the better I putted and I had been using a mid size grip for a number of months.  I went with a regular size pistol and have putted the best with it.  Then I went with a MicroPerforated Best Grip and like it even more.

The Ace Bandage trick is something I suggest everyone use to determine which if any of these work for you.  I also went to the PGA Superstore and tried some with a Super Stroke grip and did not have good results.

For that matter, I lusted after a Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 for almost a year.  It just looked so great to me at address.  Only problem is it does not fit my stroke and I could not make a putt with it, so I got over that.  I was offered a trade of a 2.6 recently and would not take it.

I have a friend of mine that has the problem of getting his putter back in his bag because of grip size. He has the largest Super Stroke that they make. that thing is almost as big as the exaust pipe on a Mack truck. It will not even go in the putter holder on his bag he has to carry it in the basket of the cart

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived