Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Coming Soon (enough) - 2014 Golf's Most Wanted Driver Test

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

So remember earlier this year we did this?:

overall-winner-dr.jpg

For those who can't wait for the 2014 version, I have good news. We're going to be publishing this year's Driver Test much earlier.

Invites to twenty different manufacturers went out early last week. Each was invited to submit anything and everything from their current lineup.

Thus far we've only had a few confirmed participants (these things take time...usually you have to remind people to read their email), but we've already received the first of the drivers for the test (so we'll start making announcements very soon).

Unfortunately we've already had a few companies decline for various reasons. Both Tom Wishon and Geek Golf will not have new product available in time for the test, so for obvious reasons they won't be participating.

Miura Golf declined our invitation (irons remain their focus).

Another smaller company who talks a lot, but apparently doesn't want to put its product where its ever-expanding gob is, told us they won't send us "free drivers" (apparently totally ignorant of the value that comes in exposing your product to 400,000 golfers - and that the +/-40 hours of work involved in this test hardly qualifies as "free"). Then again...if you don't truly believe your product can hold its own against the big boys, I suppose that's as good a way to hide as any. We were told we could buy them.

Anyway...let's call this a buzz building thread, and be sure to check back often. The wheels are in motion, and we're going to get seriously rolling soon enough.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excited as always for these!!

Any chance of a list of companies that chose not to participate this year?  I understand if it's not kosher, but I think the community deserves to know who doesn't believe in their clubs enough to put their money where their mouth is.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• SPY VIP

Excited as always for these!!

Any chance of a list of companies that chose not to participate this year?  I understand if it's not kosher, but I think the community deserves to know who doesn't believe in their clubs enough to put their money where their mouth is.

Names will absolutely be named. We're giving everyone a little more time to think it over, but you guys definitely deserve to know the who and why of the non-participants.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Great stuff chaps - when's the cut off for entries? Looking forward to the results already.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Always a great read, nice to get actual testing data rather than a list of who bought the most advertising space.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

• SPY VIP

Just an FYI. I'll be announcing the first entry tomorrow.

Can't wait to hear....

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Well I'm excited for 2014 with all types of equipment from drivers to wedges so this driver year should be a good one. Hope we get all the big boys to enter without any delay!

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Pretty Pumped about this review. Have been following MGS for a few years now and love all the reviews and write ups on equipment. Curious tho, what system for gathering data do you guys use? TrackMan? FlightScope? Also if you guys need some independent testers for the new equipment, I'm a fitter at a local golf store and have access to a Flightscope and most of the new wacking sticks. Not looking for money, would love the opportunity to just spread some data that I find.  

Driver: 910 D3 8.5 degree w/Oban Devotion 7 Tipped 1" Length 44.5" CPM 283
Hybrid: 910 19 Degree w/ VS Proto 95X Tipped 1"
Irons: 3-PW Bridgestone J40 CB w/KBS Tour X Black Nickel 1/4" over 4 Up
Wedge: 52 Degree SM4 Bent to 51 w/KBS Tour X Black Nickel 2 up STD length
Wedge: 56 Degree SM4 Bent to 55 w/KBS TOur X Black Nickel 2 up STD length
Putter: Benttinardi Signature Series 6 34" w/Super Stroke 3.0
Grips: Golf Pride Z-Cords
Ball: Pro V1x 2013 

Driver: 910 D3 8.5 degree w/Oban Devotion 7 Tipped 1" Length 44.5" CPM 283

Hybrid: 910 19 Degree w/ VS Proto 95X Tipped 1"

Irons: 3-PW Bridgestone J40 CB w/KBS Tour X Black Nickel 1/4" over 4 Up

Wedge: 52 Degree SM4 Bent to 51 w/KBS Tour X Black Nickel 2 up STD length

Wedge: 56 Degree SM4 Bent to 55 w/KBS TOur X Black Nickel 2 up STD length

Putter: Benttinardi Signature Series 6 34" w/Super Stroke 3.0

Grips: Golf Pride Z-Cords

Ball: Pro V1x 2013

THIS.WILL.BE.AWESOME!  As always, looking forward to seeing the results of the hard work you guys are putting in!

See you on the course.

globalgolf.com

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.5* (A1 Setting), Aldila RIP A 70 X

3-wood: Bridgestone J33 15* Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ X

Hybrid: Adams 21* Idea Prototype E21 X Shaft

Irons: Bridgestone J40 4-PW, Project X Flighted 6.0

Wedges: Adams Puglielli 2012 Black 52, 56, 60 DG SP W

Putter: Current Yip-Stick = Cleveland Classic Black #1 35 Inches

Ball: Bridgestone B-330 S

Shoes: Various FootJoy 11 M

Glove: FootJoy SciFlex ML Cadet

Grips: Lamkin White Gen 3 58 Round 2 Wraps

Bag: Titleist Lightweight Stand Bag

• SPY VIP

Just an FYI. We're going to be running a parallel thread of sorts on the main website. I'll be keeping everyone informed in both, so...

In the spirit of that, the first entry in MyGolfSpy's 2014 Golf's Most Wanted Driver test has just been announced:

http://www.mygolfspy.com/preview-2014-most-wanted-driver/

That Wilson is a pleasant surprise as far as aesthetics go. Understated elegance, IMO. Don't know how it'll perform but it looks good.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

Just a quick update while we wait for more product to arrive.

Before the dust settled (and I think it finally has), we sent invites to 22 different companies. Here's where things stand.

• Thus far we've had 2 companies turn us down because their new product won't be available in time to test.
  • 3 Companies (Miura, Bombtech, and 1 other...still crossing fingers) have turned us down for what we'll just say are "other reasons".
  • We have outstanding (no response thus far) invitations from 4 companies, including two who qualify as significant industry players.
  • While to date we have only received product from Wilson, we have commitments from a total of 13 different companies.
  • While it's difficult to pin down the exact number at this point, the total number of clubs participating in this year's test will almost certainly exceed last year's count.

Sounds like you guys are going to be busy! So the plan is to postpone Christmas this year? or will testing start in the new year? 

BTW, drivers confirmed from 13 different manufacturers already! I know, I know, don't count your chickens and all that, but bravo team! This is shaping up as an epic encounter!

Sounds like you guys are going to be busy! So the plan is to postpone Christmas this year? or will testing start in the new year? 

BTW, drivers confirmed from 13 different manufacturers already! I know, I know, don't count your chickens and all that, but bravo team! This is shaping up as an epic encounter!

Seconded! 

• SPY VIP

Most up to date tracking info I have suggests we'll be ready to announce the 2nd entry tomorrow. There's a pretty good story behind it, and I think it's going to raise a lot of eyebrows because of it.

Most up to date tracking info I have suggests we'll be ready to announce the 2nd entry tomorrow. There's a pretty good story behind it, and I think it's going to raise a lot of eyebrows because of it.

Cool! Looking forward to it!

If it's not to late to get in I'd love to have my product put to the test! I sent an email to the advertisement department with my contact info.

Shawn Allan

Sinister Golf

Sully from Bombtech - take note. This is how it's done.

• SPY VIP

Here we go boys (and whatever women happy to be lurking). This isn't what I talked about yesterday. I didn't have tracking info on these, but I was pretty excited when they showed up as promised. Here's the teaser pic. The main site will be updated in just a few minutes...and yes, as I promised, I'll be removing all of the discussion around Bombtech. 

While I understand, and can appreciate (to a degree) Sully's decison not to participate, we're at 14:59...it's time to bring the focus back to the guys who deserve it.

Give me 10 minutes, and then go check this out:

Coming Soon - MyGolfSpy's 2014 Most Wanted Driver (that's the link to the main article if it's not clear).

And here's entry #2. We're only just getting started.

Forum-Teaser-OnOff-1.jpg

Hey T:

Is it possible to compare the Driver Models tested to the ones that they replaced ?  e.g.  Covert vs Covert 2.0  It would be interesting to see performance gains, if any at all.

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

• SPY VIP

Hey T:

Is it possible to compare the Driver Models tested to the ones that they replaced ?  e.g.  Covert vs Covert 2.0  It would be interesting to see performance gains, if any at all.

Anything is possible :). There will be more to say soon enough, but we're planning some tweaks to the review process that will not only simplify the scoring, but put us in a much better place to do exactly the type of thing you're asking about.

• SPY VIP

Here's the latest update on where things stand with our test.

We sent invites to 22 companies (you knew that already...I said it like yesterday). Actually....we really sent 20 invites and then asked a couple others if they had anything new this year. But anyway, let's call it 22.

Of those 22:

• 15 have committed to send at least one model. Several will send 2, 1 or 2 may even send 3.
  • I went back and forth with one major OEM today. At this point their status is PENDING (literally...that's how it's listed in my status sheet...all caps and everything). I think they'll probably decide to participate, but I've been wrong before.
  • We're down to a single company who has yet to reply.
  • Bombtech, Titleist, and Miura declined to participate outright. Wishon and Geek won't have 2014 product ready in time.
  • Full inventory from 6 companies has arrived. There will be a single announcement tomorrow AM with several additional announcements made Friday.
  • Since I'm still not 100% positive whose sending absolutely what, final totals are a bit of a guessing game, but my prediction at this point is we'll have at least 22 models (not including pro/tour variants that we treat as the same model). I'd be shocked if it was less, and would be decidedly less shocked if the final tally was as high as 26.

Lots of work ahead, but we're pretty damn excited about this test.

Archived