Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Coming Soon (enough) - 2014 Golf's Most Wanted Driver Test

Tony Covey MGS

Here we go boys (and whatever women happy to be lurking). This isn't what I talked about yesterday. I didn't have tracking info on these, but I was pretty excited when they showed up as promised. Here's the teaser pic. The main site will be updated in just a few minutes...and yes, as I promised, I'll be removing all of the discussion around Bombtech. 

While I understand, and can appreciate (to a degree) Sully's decison not to participate, we're at 14:59...it's time to bring the focus back to the guys who deserve it.

Give me 10 minutes, and then go check this out:

Coming Soon - MyGolfSpy's 2014 Most Wanted Driver (that's the link to the main article if it's not clear).

And here's entry #2. We're only just getting started.

attachicon.gifForum-Teaser-OnOff-1.jpg

Very excited to see the OnOff, that's awesome!

@bestgrips   @puttershoes

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Check out the new site (www.bestgrips.com)!
Use "golfspy" for free shipping on all U.S. orders over $50!

What's in my BG custom club glove staff bag? Click here.

Current ball of choice: 'Stones three three zero.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you going to fix the typo in Leather in your signature picture or leave it there to drive people crazy?  Leahter.....

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

• SPY VIP

The next announcement is going up on the main site in the next 15 minutes or so. As will be the tradition for the next 20 or so of these, you guys here in the forum get the news first.

Without question, the most glaring absence from last year's test...these guys weren't about to be left out again.

Forum-Teaser-XCG7-1.jpg

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

It's getting a bit chompy over on the main blog isn't it - most peculiar.

You'd best get this all done quick before it ends in fisticuffs.

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

• SPY VIP

It's getting a bit chompy over on the main blog isn't it - most peculiar.

You'd best get this all done quick before it ends in fisticuffs.

I've cleaned up all of the B*tech noise so we can hopefully focus on those who choose to participate, while providing additional space for those who want to hurl accusations my way. 

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

• SPY VIP

Why isn't Titleist sending anything? First the bags and now this.

Technically, first it was the shoes. Then it was the bags, and then now this.

Titleist wasn't keen to provide a public statement on the situation. Here's my interpretation...

Look at our survey results from a few weeks ago. There is a large segment of the population that perceives Titleist a certain way. They have worked hard to craft a specific image (elite, performance brand), that appeals to a certain demographic, while another segment of golfers actually aspires to one day be good enough to play Titleist. 

It's all nonsense really...TaylorMade does shiny moving parts, Callaway is your buddy the golf (and media) company, and Titleist takes the pedestal approach. Each is equal parts brand identity and gimmick, and each appeals to a certain demographic.

Also, Titleist sells a shitload of balls and shoes, which allows them to maintain their margins on clubs (never discount), which feeds right back into the idea that Titleist is somehow elite.

In Titleist's case, the brand perception is so entrenched that anything other than a top finish (they're the best...just look at the survey), in all probability, would be viewed as detrimental to the brand. Unless you finish first, you lose. If you don't compete, you can't lose. And if you don't lose you don't compromise the integrity of the brand.

Protect the brand is the first rule.

Certainly a segment of our readers will think less of Titleist for the decision, but those won't be the core Titleist guys. The Titleist crowd will likely see it as Titleist holding on to their high ground (everyone knows they're the best, they don't need to prove it to anyone).

From what I can tell, it's a unique culture at Titleist, and one that clearly doesn't mix well with our way of doing things. 

All of that said, the relationship while not cozy is certainly cordial, and we'll keep the dialog open, and we'll continue to do everything we reasonably can to include them in future tests.

Technically, first it was the shoes. Then it was the bags, and then now this.

Titleist wasn't keen to provide a public statement on the situation. Here's my interpretation...

Look at our survey results from a few weeks ago. There is a large segment of the population that perceives Titleist a certain way. They have worked hard to craft a specific image (elite, performance brand), that appeals to a certain demographic, while another segment of golfers actually aspires to one day be good enough to play Titleist. 

It's all nonsense really...TaylorMade does shiny moving parts, Callaway is your buddy the golf (and media) company, and Titleist takes the pedestal approach. Each is equal parts brand identity and gimmick, and each appeals to a certain demographic.

Also, Titleist sells a shitload of balls and shoes, which allows them to maintain their margins on clubs (never discount), which feeds right back into the idea that Titleist is somehow elite.

In Titleist's case, the brand perception is so entrenched that anything other than a top finish (they're the best...just look at the survey), in all probability, would be viewed as detrimental to the brand. Unless you finish first, you lose. If you don't compete, you can't lose. And if you don't lose you don't compromise the integrity of the brand.

Protect the brand is the first rule.

Certainly a segment of our readers will think less of Titleist for the decision, but those won't be the core Titleist guys. The Titleist crowd will likely see it as Titleist holding on to their high ground (everyone knows they're the best, they don't need to prove it to anyone).

From what I can tell, it's a unique culture at Titleist, and one that clearly doesn't mix well with our way of doing things. 

All of that said, the relationship while not cozy is certainly cordial, and we'll keep the dialog open, and we'll continue to do everything we reasonably can to include them in future tests.

Thanks for the response. I don't look down on Titleist for participating but I think they shouldn't have to worry about losing customers based on "not being the best". They're a solid company and should have confidence but it is what it is.

• SPY VIP

Here we go boys...a Saturday edition to help keep the momentum rolling.

If you asked me, I'd tell you that I fully expect one of the big boys to finish on top of our 2014 Most Wanted. They outspend the little guys (both on marketing and R&D), and whether everyone wants to hear it or believe it, the reality is those guys make a top-tier product.

With that said, if you're looking to put some money down on a long shot (it's a shame Vegas doesn't have a book for this), this should be one of your pics. This will be the 3rd iteration of their driver we tested. The last two were arguably the best drivers that nobody talked about.

The rest of the pictures up on the website in 10.

AFO N7 DFX-1-2.jpg

Wow this sounds like it will be great!!!

Whats in the bag:

Titleist 910D2 10.5 Graphite Design Y7-S

Adams 1600 proto 14.5 Graphite Design AD DJ

Titleist 910F 17 Ust Tour Black

Titleist 910H 22 Diamana Kali

Adams Idea Pro A12 4-9 KBS C Taper

Titleist Vokey SM4 46 degree w/ DG Spinner

Mizuno MP R12 50-54-58 DG spinner

Ping Redwood ZB

Ball Nike 20XI-X

• SPY VIP

Happy Monday everyone. At least one announcement will be made today (like right now), but assuming my day stays on-track, there will be at least one other later in the day. So as always, you guys get it first.

THIS is the one I was talking about last week when I said something like we have a surprise entry with a good story...anyway, this is it, and I'll share a bit of that story when I post the info on the website in the next 15 minutes or so. Here's the link to that post.

Tomy Armour -16.jpg

Also...In case you missed it, later in the day last Friday I wrote an article about TaylorMade's Weird Week in the Wake of Big Bertha. I think it's worth a read, but then again, I'm the guy who wrote it, so there's probably some bias there. Please check that out as well.

The first link goes to a blank page for me T.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

The first link goes to a blank page for me T.

Both links are working for me. If anyone else is having a problem, please let me know.

Weird, it works for me.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

• SPY VIP

I'm getting a blank page from the blog link thread as well T (first one)

Weird... for those getting the blank page, it's now the feature on top of the main page (www.mygolfspy.com).

• SPY VIP

Man...it sure has been a while (like almost 4.5 hours), so let's go ahead and announce another participant.

Pics going up on the blog very soon:

Bio Cell-1.jpg

• SPY VIP

Let's announce another one. Ok...sounds like a good idea to me.

Sorry...all this cough syrup I've been downing lately has me a little loopy. I may be talking to myself, I may be less sure of what day it, I might even be positive that my daughter's Mickey Mouse doll is talking to me, but none of that should stop us from announcing the next entry in our 2014 Most Wanted Driver Test...and so here it is.

cleveland-teaser-crop.jpg

10 minutes or so and more photos are up on the blog. There's a high probability we're going to be announcing another entry today.

• SPY VIP

And here's your 2nd announcement for the day. Our friends at Krank got a little excited and blew the surprise, so well, now we're playing catch-up. Blog update in 10 or less.

Krank Formula 5-7.jpg

Good to see cleveland in this review, didn't they stay away from MGS for a bit?

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

• SPY VIP

Here we go. Time for another announcement.

Back for Year 2.0 of Golf's Most Wanted is Nike's Covert 2.0. See what I did there? 2.0...2.0. Clever, right?

More pics on the website shortly.

covert-forum-teaser-1.jpg

• SPY VIP

So here's the latest update I have for you.I'm 99% confident that we'll have 16 different manufacturers in our test. The total number of models tested (not counting Pro/Tour heads that we treat as fitting options) will either be 22 or 23 + our reference club (big news buried in this simple little paragraph). Once we track down the shipment that UPS lost we can firm that number up.

That which was PENDING is now IN, and now that we're past deadline, you can go ahead and ad KickX to the out list as multiple emails were not returned.

Actual testing should start very soon.

Reference club, I'm assuming, is last year's winner, the 910.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

Reference club, I'm assuming, is last year's winner, the 910.

Reference club is not the winner. It was, however, a relatively high finisher. The 913 won for accuracy, but was not the overall winner.

Archived