TESTERS WANTED! ×

What Will Google Glass & GolfSight Mean For Golf?

• SPY VIP

golf-sight-1.jpg

"Golf Like You've Never Seen It Before"

A Golf GPS Rangefinder Made for Google Glass

“GolfSight is literally a game changer for golfers. Using Google’s new Glass Development Kit, we saw an opportunity to let golfers at any skill level use Google Glass to create an entirely new experience on the links,” said Paul Goldstein, President and CEO of Goldstein Technologies. “Google Glass is an ideal platform for golfers as it is always there when you need it, lets golfers see their distances without looking down at another device, and gives them great visualizations of the course. GolfSight keeps track of your score, and gives golfers a great way to share their round with friends.”

How it Works 

GolfSight by SkyDroid will find the closest golf courses when launched, pulling from a list of over 25,000 golf courses worldwide. Courses have been mapped by SkyDroid – Golf GPS users for more than two years, and any user can add new ones. GolfSight’s main screen within Google Glass displays the exact distance to the green alongside a satellite image provided by Google Maps.

The display will then rotate to correct the golfer’s orientation to the front, center or back of the green based upon their exact location, and images are captured for future use. Google Glass uses the MyGlass app to get GPS location and data connection to load courses and images.

The main screen within GolfSight will appear as a card in the Glass timeline, so the golfer can interact with Glass without being constrained within the Glassware. With a tap on the screen, the “Hazards & Targets” screen can show images and the distance to bunkers, water hazards, sand traps, trees and target points.

Golfers will get prompted to enter their score on every green and can set the score with a single tap and swipe on the Glass touchpad. The “Scorecard” shows the status of the golfer’s game on both the front and back nine holes and using the “Make vignette” feature on Glass, golfers can record any part of their game or course, with an image of the GolfSight screen alongside. Other features include Change Holes, Read Aloud and Stop Round.

#TruthDigest

Pretty crazy to see this happening. We knew it would happen sooner or later though. Do you think it would help or distract you? I'm on the fence. I think the technology is awesome but with my ADD it might drive me a little crazy to see while I'm swinging!

See you on the course.

globalgolf.com

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.5* (A1 Setting), Aldila RIP A 70 X

3-wood: Bridgestone J33 15* Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ X

Hybrid: Adams 21* Idea Prototype E21 X Shaft

Irons: Bridgestone J40 4-PW, Project X Flighted 6.0

Wedges: Adams Puglielli 2012 Black 52, 56, 60 DG SP W

Putter: Current Yip-Stick = Cleveland Classic Black #1 35 Inches

Ball: Bridgestone B-330 S

Shoes: Various FootJoy 11 M

Glove: FootJoy SciFlex ML Cadet

Grips: Lamkin White Gen 3 58 Round 2 Wraps

Bag: Titleist Lightweight Stand Bag

I'm in the same boat, as a tech guy I find the idea and technology fascinating.  As a golfer I don't think I could stand having that much of my field of vision blocked while I'm playing.

I'll be sticking to the laser.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Neat, but it will take 10 years to get traction.  

The problem is the same ( perhaps worse ) than the current crop of Phone GPS tools face.  The bulk of the golfing public is A. Older, B. Cheap on weird things ($100 greens fee ok, $20 GPS App too expensive), and C.Not gonna rock goofy looking Google Glass on the links. 

In short, neat idea for the nerds (not enough play golf seriously enough to care).  

Until you see 1-2 smart phones being used for GPS and score keeping in every 4some, this is doomed.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

• 4 months later...

The geek in me loves it...I have used a GPS for years. 

But I think the information is in the way too much of the time. I don't know if you have commands to hide and display information quickly.

One the other issues I see is what to do about sunglasses. I have gotten to the point where I need to protect my eyes from the sun and not sure how Google Glass works with that.

Currently gaming...

TM RBZ Tour 9 degree

Titleist 913FD 3 wood

TM Rescue 19 degree

Titleist 913 24 degree

Mizuno MP-54 5-PW

Titleist SM5 50, 54, 58

Scotty Select Newport 2

For me, It's like watching the Kill Feed or the Mini Map in COD.  Takes some getting used to, but totally worth it in the end.. 

The issue for me is that I play golf to get away from all of that stuff.  I use a Laser, but Phones and GPSs on the golf course are not something that I am looking for. (I am pretty old...)

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• 2 weeks later...

Things are moving to all-in-one products. Be it glass, a watch, or a phone - one unit will be doing functions that currently require two, three or more pieces of equipment. The curious thing will be where does that land for you, do you want a hand held, watch, or glasses based system for your stuff.

I have concerns about privacy. Glass users can record anything and everything, including a partner's round, invectives, etc., and post them anywhere.

Golf is private yet voluntarily transparent; I can keep a handicap that the public can verify. I don't volunteer to have anything other than my score made public. If anyone wears G Glass in a round with me, I'm walking off the course.

<p>In my bag: Ping G LS Tec 9* Tour 65 Stiff, Cobra F8 3-4 wood HZRDUS Yellow 6.0, Calloway 21* X Forged Utility iron (steel stiff), Ping G30 white dot 4-9 Stiff 110 gm KBS tours  Scor 48,52,56,60 Wedges, Nike Method Core MC3</p><p>

Aside from casual golf, I really don't see these getting approved for tournament play.  They might be interesting for practice, or casual rounds, but I seldom even use a GPS anymore unless it's a course I've never played before, as I prefer my rangefinder.

Yes, I'm old.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Archived