Hello all,

I have been playing golf for the better part of 15 years, however I have never taken the sport seriously until the last two years or so. One thing I have noticed being out on the course alot more and playing with different people every time (my buddies don't play so I walk one as a single), is that there is a lot of questionable theories, tips, legends, and strategies.

So I hoping that you could share what you have heard over the years and what has actually worked and what was more Bullsh*t. It would be good to learn what to ignore out there and what to take as sound advice.

Some of the things that have come to mind are:

-Tee it up lower and hit it straight but shorter. (seen results)

-Greens break towards ocean on seaside courses and away from mountains on desert courses.

-Hitting the net next to a tee box is a redo. (might be course rules)

-The pros play balls unavailable to the public.

These are just a few that I can think of right now. so lets hear yours and the answers to these to help wade through the BS

Many Thanks

Zinger once met someone better looking than himself

MBP once went an entire day without taking pictures

RP went a whole season without buying a club

T wrote an entire article without typo's

Sorry, couldn't resist a little but.

Back on topic one of my favorites is that draws are longer than fades

Some of the things that have come to mind are:

-Tee it up lower and hit it straight but shorter. (seen results)

-Greens break towards ocean on seaside courses and away from mountains on desert courses.

-The pros play balls unavailable to the public.

The putt always breaks down hill, and most of the time that is away from the mountain and towards the ocean or water, but not always.

Some pros play with an older version are maybe even a newer version of the same balls that are availible, or will be availible to the public.  Titleist is not going to make a ball and get USGA approval if they can not reap the financial rewards by selling it to the public.

If your putt is short, odds are, it won't go in...

More than 99.9% of the time.

"The shaft is the engine of the club"

The shaft is more like the transmission, the body is the engine.

Zinger once met someone better looking than himself

MBP once went an entire day without taking pictures

RP went a whole season without buying a club

T wrote an entire article without typo's

Zinger has never met any one he thought was better looking than himself.

RP has never gone a season without buying a club.  This is totally not true and whom ever told you that was as wrong as they could be.

Sadly, they others, that hckymeyer noted, may be true.

Great topic and Rick gave the right answers except that he didn't address the tee one. Let's start with driver. BS is all I can say. Many people have a tee height they are comfortable with. Find the one that works best for you. The rest of the clubs are built for hitting the ball off the turf so lower is better, just on top of the grass.

As far as the shafts go, what is the main difference of flex. I just an RBZ with the stiff flex and it feels like I am getting more behind it that the regular flex I tried in the store. Is it more of a personal preference or is there real performance improvements/adjustments with the different flex varieties.

With the break of the put I noticed it to be somewhat true. I played Torrey about two weeks ago (where I heard the tip) and was reading the putt R2L about three cups off. the ocean was on the right, I hit it clean right on the line i wanted and it leaked a cup to the Right. My thought is its just the perception when you have wide open area like that it will throw off the read.

Before the rebuild last year of 10 holes on my course, the 17th which is right next to the lake was canted way from the the water but had a drainage area between the green and the bunker.  I would hear people all the time recite that old adage of the green slopes to the water.  They would putt and be astonished that it broke away from the lake but you could go down below the green and look at it and clearly see where the slope was.

Another one is look at the surrounding terrain and see which way the green slopes.

The designer of our course intentionally slopes the green in one direction and put moguls and bunkers in after the fact, not really after because the surrounding area was built first.  The point is that on holes like number 4 the surrounding terrain slopes from back to front but the green slopes left to right.  Number 5 is built on a hill facing the fairway, yet the green slopes to the back.  There i always an outlet for the water, so the one truth in reading greens is the drain is on the low side of the green.  (Unless there is a puddle of water there.)

As far as the myth about holes sloping towards water is not true.  The break has to do with how the grain of the grass grows towards water which can cause it to break less or more just like the grain of any green.  I caddied the Pro Am of the Shop Rite classic two years ago and by my fourth loop I was able to judge the break with greater accuracy for the holes along the water because of which way the grain was growing.  

I skipped this earlier but there can be a local rule stating that you must rehit if you strike the net.  There can not be a local rule that allows you to rehit if you so desire.  Like a power line, you can make a rule if it does not conflict with appendix I.  Decision 33-8/13 specifically addresses power lines and I guess a net would also work if it was not an out of bounds net.  I would think it was part of an out of bounds net but I guess they could put up a net to protect something and then inact a local rule requiring you to rehit if you strike the net.

Someone answer this, I call BS. I heard this one from a PGA Professional, same guy who sold me counterfeit clubs. They said if you hit the ball on the toe or heel that it will put sidespin on the ball and make the ball go more towards the hole on a breaking putt. 

Ask lee Trevino... But yes, you can cut a putt

Someone answer this, I call BS. I heard this one from a PGA Professional, same guy who sold me counterfeit clubs. They said if you hit the ball on the toe or heel that it will put sidespin on the ball and make the ball go more towards the hole on a breaking putt. 

I seriously doubt it was Lee Travino who sold Westy some counterfit clubs. :lol:

Lee may be able to cut a putt and have it go where he wants but I would think that we should avoid doing this.  The same principle will apply to a ball on the ground as in the air though.  A glancing blow with a putter will give the ball side spin but the ground offers considerably more resistance than the air so after the first few feet the side spin will probably stop and the normal roll will take over.

I think I have seen this, unitentionally, when people have putted the ball.

Some pros play with an older version are maybe even a newer version of the same balls that are availible, or will be availible to the public. Titleist is not going to make a ball and get USGA approval if they can not reap the financial rewards by selling it to the public.

Wrong, there are plenty of balls out there that the public can't get their hands on unless they know someone on the tour van. Just check the conforming ball list for those. There are plenty of prototypes made specifically for players.

When Tiger first went to Nike, they had a ball that was specifically his ball. The public begged and begged and begged for it to be released. They eventually did release that ball to prove a point ( and sold a ton of them). The Tour Accuracy TW. I had a few dozen of them I got from a friend that was a nike rep. They made their point with the public, too. They didn't go as far. Why? The core was much former and Joe Schmoe couldn't fully compress it. Tiger and Rory both are playing prototypes right now. There are 21 versions of the Nike 20XI out there right now.

I remember once hearing lee couldn't make a,straight putt, so he would put a little cut on it. Good for you and me? Uh, probably not...

A favorite of mine is when people say that slices and hooks are a result of side spin. No, side spin doesn't exist in golf, there is only back spin. You can not spin the ball 2 directions at once. The thing that causes slices or hooks (or cuts and draws) is backspin being tilted on it's axis.

Great topic and Rick gave the right answers except that he didn't address the tee one. Let's start with driver. BS is all I can say. Many people have a tee height they are comfortable with. Find the one that works best for you. The rest of the clubs are built for hitting the ball off the turf so lower is better, just on top of the grass.

Rev you are correct on the tee height. I still tee at the "traditional" height that I did when I hit persimmon drivers

If this guy knowingly sold you counterfeit clubs he aint much of a PGA professional. In fact if he is caught red handed he can loose his card . The PGA has morals clauses he can be kicked out for "conduct unbecoming"  A guy that I know down here lost his card last year for being arrested and convicted of a serious felony involving drug manufacturing

What a great thread! This is one that can grow legs and run on its own. If it had been here longer, it would be up for thread of the year.

For myths... RP and Rick stole mine. But another I hear sometimes is that with irons, you pinch the ball against the turf at impact. BS. That's called a topped shot and we all know the result of that.

With perfect impact conditions, the shaft is leaning forward, the club head is descending slightly. The leading edge of the club is definitely coming in below the equator of the ball, ideally it's at the same level as the bottom of the ball. The loft of the club is pointed up, away from the ground. The ball initially starts to slide up the face until enough friction builds up and it starts to roll before it rebounds off. That's what creates the backspin.

At no point in that process, that only lasts for milliseconds, does the ball get pushed in a downward direction. Someone may feel like they're pinching the ball against the turf. But it's not happening. High speed video has proven that thousands of times. But you'll still hear people say that's what happens.

As far as the shafts go, what is the main difference of flex. I just an RBZ with the stiff flex and it feels like I am getting more behind it that the regular flex I tried in the store. Is it more of a personal preference or is there real performance improvements/adjustments with the different flex varieties.

With the break of the put I noticed it to be somewhat true. I played Torrey about two weeks ago (where I heard the tip) and was reading the putt R2L about three cups off. the ocean was on the right, I hit it clean right on the line i wanted and it leaked a cup to the Right. My thought is its just the perception when you have wide open area like that it will throw off the read.

I wanted to touch on the shaft thing for you. Here's a great myth. Faster swingers should use S flex shafts and slower R. The reality is that there is no uniform standard for golf equipment. Even the loft on the club is suspect. Also the proper shaft flex and weight may change based on your transition or angle of attack. You need to go get fitted before buying clubs. If you are a 14 without a properly fitted set you'll be an 11 with one.