Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

I'm back to the MP family. MP-64's yay

Sluggo42

So I was looking at clubs and found a guy waning to trade out of his MP-64's, on KBS tour stiff.

So we met up and he liked my jpx 825 pros, so we just clean swapped. I think he got the better end of the deal as my set included the G, but oh well.

I remember when I was trying different clubs that I really loved the 64, but for some reason, I thought I would be better off with the 825's. I really do like them, but the 64's were always in the back seat of my heart. So, when this came up this morning, I just couldn't resist.

Both sets are virtually new, so nobody was a loser in the deal. He had a 22 hdcp, and wanted a little more forgiveness, I'm a bit lower and wanted the buttah like my old 33's.

So, I may end up the loser in the swap, but this morning, I'm happy.i would be out playing them right now, but we are experiencing 30-40 mph winds right now, so I have to wait until to,or row to plat dang it.

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I think you got the better deal.  I looked at the 64's last week and they looked like they had plenty of forgiveness in them.  I am still playing the MP33's and will over the winter.  I have a set of MP59's that I could play but simply love the 33's.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

What in the world was a 22 doing with those?

I've said it tons of times before and will say it again, course management is way way under rated. A 22 using MP 64s is piss pour course management before he hits a shot unless his sole goal is to grow into them.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

He said they felt good at golfsmith, and had plans to practice more. Unfortunately he ended up having less time. At least he identified the problem and made the move to adjust. Lucky for me.

Hit a bucket today, yummy. The jpx feel good being forged and all, but the 64's reminded me of the old 33's... Just good.

You got the sweet end of that deal. Those are great clubs!

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

You got the sweet end of that deal. Those are great clubs!

. Agreed and I have a set of 800s that I got from this guy that I absolutely love. I'm still thinking I'd prefer the MP 59s. Oh well my congregation has been over the top generous in its Christmas gift giving so there is hope in this regard.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

. Agreed and I have a set of 800s that I got from this guy that I absolutely love. I'm still thinking I'd prefer the MP 59s. Oh well my congregation has been over the top generous in its Christmas gift giving so there is hope in this regard.

Go for the 64s, they're noticeably better feeling with no apparent detriment to forgiveness. 

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

Not sure I get all this forgiveness stuff. You either hit the ball or you don't? Yea, if you miss hit with the 64's you'll definitely know it but, if you miss hit with any club you know it........... don't you?

I played CB's for years before going to the 64's. I honestly can't tell a world of difference from miss hits with the CB's from miss hits with the 64's. I think this "blades/muscle backs are hard to hit" thing is way overblown. Just my .02.

I love the MP-64's. I demo'd the MP-59's and 64's before settling on the 64's. I'll be playing these for a long while.

Not sure I get all this forgiveness stuff. You either hit the ball or you don't? Yea, if you miss hit with the 64's you'll definitely know it but, if you miss hit with any club you know it........... don't you?

I played CB's for years before going to the 64's. I honestly can't tell a world of difference from miss hits with the CB's from miss hits with the 64's. I think this "blades/muscle backs are hard to hit" thing is way overblown. Just my .02.

I love the MP-64's. I demo'd the MP-59's and 64's before settling on the 64's. I'll be playing these for a long while.

Not sure there is anything to "get".  There's no question some designs are more forgiving than others.  On off center hits, the loss of distance is less with a higher MOI club head.  Wider soles help people somewhat who are crashing into the ground before the ball.  The lower CG helps get the ball in the air easier for people with slower swing speeds or less than ideal impact conditions.

That said though, they won't straighten out a shot hit with the face wide open or flipped shut.  For people that cast the club and come over the top, their most common miss hit will usually be on the toe.  A player's club will penalize that shot more than a game improvement club for sure.  

But higher scores do not always go in tandem with poor contact and ball striking.  Bad putting and poor course management can account for more lost strokes.  That's where I've lost most of mine.  I don't usually miss the center of the face by much.  If I do it's a mental mistake that screws up my focus.  So a poor shot off the center of the face would not be much different with a GI club.  

I prefer players clubs for the feel and I just flat like how they look compared to a big club head.  I've tried both and actually have better results with a smaller club.  So I ignore what I'm "supposed" to play and play what I like and I'm comfortable with.  I played MP-63s until Cobra gave me a set of Amp Cell Pros which I absolutely love.

I will be selling my 63s soon.  They're still a great club.  They just won't knock my Cobras out of my bag now, so I might as well sell them.

Got lucky Saturday. I went to the range with a friend of mine to test out a new set of irons I built for him. He took along another friend of his he had been wanting me to meet for some time. This guy was older than me but had a great amateur career up North. He was hitting a pristine set of MP-33s. I just had to hit them of course! I still hit them as good as I did the set I wore out. Of course he would not sell them. He wondered what the heck I was doing hitting the Irons I was hitting (infiniti) when I could hit those 33s so good. I had already hit 100 or so balls at another faculity that morning. I told him that I was probably having a good ball striking day. I may get a set of my blades out this weekend but I don't know. To me even though I love Mac blades the 33s always felt better than any clubs I ever owned

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived