TESTERS WANTED! ×

Wilson Staff Prototypes (Irons)

GolfSpy_X

Proto 5 (bottom left), Proto 4 (top right), and the top left one, I just can't read the number. On the blades I don't like how with the bottom left one the sort of "band" of metal that stretches across the back stops below the sole. It just looks a little off to me. the top right one looks very small to me, and sort of triangular. Not a big fan of the one on top second from the left, it's kind of old looking, FWIW, but the top left looks much better. If I had to pick a favorite of the cavity backs on the bottom it would be the one farthest to the right.

I like Proto 3 and Proto 5... I don't like 4 because it doesn't have the W/S logo... Of the cavity backs, I also like the Proto 8...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

3 & 5 for the ones that look like too much club for my game and the top left (#1?) of the one that I would at least try out to see if I could hit it.

I like #6 too, but the "FG" just looks too large in the cavity. Like the head, not the graphics.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

Well....they are at least somewhat moving in the right direction in the US xxio.

4 for me.

1,6,and 8 look like previous models with slight rebadging.

Is Wilson still doing fine in the US? Europe is still okay from what I hear.

#TruthDigest

If we're talking purely looks then like I Prototype 5. If we're talking liking the looks of something I could realistically hit then Prototype 6. :lol:

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

Well....they are at least somewhat moving in the right direction in the US xxio.

Wilson. I hope they gain some prominence back.

I used to be a big fan of the Progressives. I had 3 at 1 point all with different shafts. Firestick 2.8s, some Boron type shaft that was made by Wilson for the JDM, and with DGs. They were forged by Hoffman and I broke par for the first time ever with those sticks.

Just before anyone gets any ideas I shot that 70 about 10 years (13-14 years ago)after the Progressives were first released. They were being closed out for US$240 (new) by a store the distributor who gave up the rights over here. So I bought 3 sets :lol:

4, I like how it loos kind of old school without the logo, just name stamped on there, hint of a muscleback but more a true blade. And out of the cavity's #7 takes it out for me. If they matched the grinds and basic head shape at address you could do a mean combo set.

I have a revolving WITB policy.

What they need to do is make a couple proto sets of each, and give them to My Golf Spy for a CONTEST!!!!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I like #1 and #4. #4 being my #1 choice! But I actually like 1 thru 5. I would be happy to try any of those heads for a spin.....

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

As I stated before, this is a very under the radar company brand wise. They seem to be putting out good offerings time and time again, yet seem to get no love.

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

blades always awesom but cavity wise number 7 is awesome with the ws logo centered and the graphics kinda scaled back looks better than the rest, my blade favorite is number 5 looks bigger to me and easier to hit i dunno ,

Andrew Bush da lefty of the forum.

Cleveland DST Tour 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard.

Nike Sasquatch 4 wood with diamana blue.

Nike Sasquatch 3 hybrid with diamana hybrid shaft

Callaway x forged 4-pw with prject x flighted 6.0

Callaway x forged 52 and 56 chrome

Callaway x forged 60 vintage

Odyssey white hot tour number 5.

Nike one platinum soon to be nike tour running out of the platinums!!!!!!!

My two favorites are definitely proto 2 and proto 3, they all look really nice tho, especially the blades.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

• 3 weeks later...

#1 looks to be the current FG Tour iron which I saw for the first time yesterday and will hit tomorrow.

It's a great looking club in person, but after playing the Pi7, I have to admit I'm just a little bit intimidated by the smaller head. It's been awhile since I played blades or cavity back forged (Cleveland TA1s and Wilson RM midsize).

I'm looking forward to hitting the FG if only because I want to re-acquaint myself with the feeling of a well struck forged club. Nothing like it.

Aside from the Mizuno's, I think the current Wilson line are some of the best looking clubs out there (and a couple hundred dollars less).

The forged muscle backs are too much club for me. The TA1's I had were for my A game only and I had to be realistic. I only get a few rounds a month in anymore and I don't have the swing for them. My hope is that the FG's are just a tad more forgiving. Will report back.

I didn't know this, other than Paddy, Ricky Barnes is a Wilson staff golfer!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

I got a chance to hit the FG Tours last weekend, only indoors on a mat, but its the first forged club I've hit. To be honest, I could hardly feel the ball coming off the face. Look and feel were superb. I'd love a set, but just can't warrant the expense at the moment, even though I can get them for 475USD (~320 GBP)... Heads are tiny though, but I play with Cobra SZs, which now look and feel like shovels :)

Current Handicap (UK)

Current Bag

Cobra S9.1 10.5 + 3W

Cobra SZ 3I-9I, PW, GW

Vokey 52 & 60

Rife 400 Series Half Mallet

I got a chance to hit the FG Tours last weekend, only indoors on a mat, but its the first forged club I've hit. To be honest, I could hardly feel the ball coming off the face. Look and feel were superb. I'd love a set, but just can't warrant the expense at the moment, even though I can get them for 475USD (~320 GBP)... Heads are tiny though, but I play with Cobra SZs, which now look and feel like shovels :)

#1 looks to be the current FG Tour iron which I saw for the first time yesterday and will hit tomorrow.

It's a great looking club in person, but after playing the Pi7, I have to admit I'm just a little bit intimidated by the smaller head. It's been awhile since I played blades or cavity back forged (Cleveland TA1s and Wilson RM midsize).

I'm looking forward to hitting the FG if only because I want to re-acquaint myself with the feeling of a well struck forged club. Nothing like it.

Aside from the Mizuno's, I think the current Wilson line are some of the best looking clubs out there (and a couple hundred dollars less).

The forged muscle backs are too much club for me. The TA1's I had were for my A game only and I had to be realistic. I only get a few rounds a month in anymore and I don't have the swing for them. My hope is that the FG's are just a tad more forgiving. Will report back.

I had the opportunity to finally hit the Wilson line and particularly, the FG Tour irons this week. It was a demo and unfortunately, off of mats, so I'll admit right off that my experience was inconclusive.

I currently play the Pi7s and have played well with them. I thought the FG's smaller head would intimidate me, but once I actually swung them, I realized my fears were unfounded. They DO require a quieter, better swing but they also have better feedback. I was on lunch break and only had 30 minutes, but came away impressed. Can't justify the price at this point but really liked the irons from what I could tell. Need to hit off grass before I commit.

On a side note, the club that threw me for a loop was the Smooth driver. I hit both the 9 and 10.5 degree drivers and loved them. I've always had a high ball flight and was hesitant to try the 10.5 degree but the ball jumped off the clubface and held it's line beautifully. Was able to work a fade anytime I tried. It's a nice clubhead/shaft combo. The Smooth features a traditional head and even though it's a 460cc head, it doesn't look or feel like it.

Archived