Forum Member Review! Taylormade Tour Preferred MC Forged Irons

Our Sponsors

Nice review, these look great

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Great read. Did you ever hit the 2012 TP line of irons? Was just wondering how they compared. At least the odd looking weights are gone this time around.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP,  3 month review posted

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

• SPY VIP

Well Guys and Gals, the Honeymoon phase is now over.  It has been just over three months with the 2014 Taylormade tour preferred irons and here is the end of my review.  First,  a big thank you to My Golf Spy and Taylormade golf for letting me participate in this hands on review……..  Here it goes.

Let me start off by saying that this set really intrigued me from the get go.  I don't know what it is , it's like ordering  a Sprite and a restaurant, expect the taste of a Sprite , you take a “Swig” and it's water.  The initial taste knocks you off your kilt, so to say.   Let me explain:  If you decide on purchasing a set of these, don't expect these irons to replace your current sticks without some major adjustments.  It took me at least 3-4 rounds with the configuration that I ordered to find out what the distances were, a trip to Edwin Watts to have the lofts weakened on the 7 3 5 4 and 3 iron, multiple range sessions to get to where I was comfortable with bagging these.  My Golf Spy member, TXCATMAN, saw the madness firsthand on a par 3 at Valeer Golf Club just north of San Antonio.   Par 3, 190 yards, long story short, 7 irons are not supposed to fly over the pin 200 yards in to the drink for bogey…

When I first started this review I hinted at distance gaps at the transition from Forged to Cast + Speed Pocket.  The PW, 9-iron and 8-iron were no trouble getting used to.  Fantastic feel of a forged club, distance very similar to my gamers.  The rest of the set, if not adjusted correctly is on STERIODS !!!!  I would put the 3-iron against anyone's 3 wood that they carry…..

Interesting enough at last weeks Texas Valero Open volunteering at the practice facility, TXCATMAN and I had the opportunity to get within a couple of feet of the players bags as we handed them range balls.  I also walked down the hitting line a couple of times to see what TMaG staffers had in the bag.  I only saw 1 set of Taylormade Tour Preferred MC's (Justin Leonard)  Unless I missed it, I saw more sets of 2012 Tour Preferred MC and MB's……call it what you will.

I'm pretty confident that this set would probably benefit someone's game.  I cannot stress enough, if you decide to pull the trigger and purchase the MC's, to get properly fit for the set.  If I could change one thing about the design of the set:  FORGE the entire set AND have the design of the 8 iron progress towards the 7, 6, 5, 4, and 3 iron (Minus the speed cavity and speed pocket) 

Will I continue using them ? sure I will.  Going to keep them in rotation for the Spring and Summer.

FINAL RATING:  PAR

Gonna make sure my guy pays close attention to these gaps.

Wicked, wicked job Hula!

Hats off to you bro.

You're an DOUBLE EAGLE in my books

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP
twitmbp.jpg

wimb2.jpg 

latestreview.jpg 

I'm getting fitted next month and these are what I want the most. But I probably would lean more towards a combo set cause I don't really have any problems hitting the blades. I will make sure to get the gapping worked out. Great job on the review!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

• SPY VIP

Good stuff Hula

tweaking a set that much to make it playable seems like madness.

definitely sounds like the short knockers should look at them at length...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @golfspy_dave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Thanks for the terrific review Hula........If you would please expand a bit about the difference in "feel" when you go from the 7i to the 8i.

Driver: Tour Edge Exotics EXS w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft BACKUP DRIVER: Cobra F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft  Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Wilson D7 GW(50*) & SW(54*) w/Recoil 460 regular shafts; Cleveland RTX Zipcore(58*) w/True Temper Spinner Wedge steel shaft  Putter: 33" Slotline SSi 693 mid mallet Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

• 2 weeks later...

Nice follow up Hula - I'm kinda in awe of a 200 yard 7 iron!  Just goes to show you fitting is the key...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  Sub 70 639D - 9.5; :cleveland-small: Launcher HB Turbo; :mizuno-small: ST 190 
FW Wood: :tour-edge: Tour Edge EXS 220 - 15*; :mizuno-small: ST 180 14*
Hybrids:  PXG 0311 22
Utility Irons: :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Utilities 18, 21, 24*;  Lynx VT Stinger - 16*
Irons::wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged; :benhogan-small:PTx Pro, :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; :wilson_staff_small: Progressives (circa 1993)

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX -2, :benhogan-small:Riviera 52-56-60; :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8,  :benhogan-small:Baby Ben

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (2020); :srixon-small: Z-STAR XV

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo