Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Second cut around green.....(Froghair)

Hello....I'm a longtime observer, seldom , if ever commenting, but I am concerned about what seems to be the potential loss of an integral part of our great game...The great old term "froghair", a term used for the second cut around the green. I'm well into my 70's now, and back when I was watching Arnie and Jack...along with many other greats, it was a common term used anytime someone was laying just off the green on the "second cut", (you know, about a 3 to 4 foot wide strip around the green)

The announcers would use the term constantly. Now, I can't recall having heard it any time in recent several years. I tried to contact The Golf channel to no avail and am getting angry that most newer golfers are missing out on one of the great linguistic terms of our game!My name is "Doc", and all I wish for Christmas is someone reading this to help me start a campaign to restore the term "froghair" to its rightful [place in our games lexology! (not sure of my usage on that!)

Can anyone else help???

Ping45/buckical/Doc (whatever)

Ping45

Forgetting my manners...I'm from both Ohio (Knox Co.), and California (Highland).play many SoCal courses till I come back to Buckeyeland when that heat in SoCal gets a little too high. I forgot to  list any info when making the forgoing comment re:" froghair"! I'm heading back to home in socal right after Christmas...and I sure am ready!

Ping45

Welcome aboard. Stick around and jump in wherever you like.

As far as calling the fringe froghair, it sounds like a nostalgic thing you miss hearing. I can understand that. As for it being an integral part of the game, you'll have to educate me on why it would be integral. Seems similar to how a three wood used to be called a spoon. A different term didn't change the game that I'm aware of. But maybe you know something about it that I don't. Actually, you could start a thread about traditional terminology and what's different today. That could make for a good thread. Put it in the "Everything Else" section. That should generate some good comments.

Welcome aboard...lots of good folks here.

MENTOR, L4 COACH & TRAINER  FIRST TEE GREATER HOUSTON
HDCP: 8.3  (GHIN: 3143312)
In my bag, April 2023
:titelist-small: TS3 Driver & 4 Wood Hzrdous Smoke Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:titelist-small: TS2 Hybrids  Mitsubishi Tensei Shaft (Stiff Flex)
:mizuno-small:  MP-59 5-PW; KBS Tour (Regular Flex)
:titelist-small: SM8 Wedges

EVNROLL ER2  Putter
SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND BALL
Sun Mountain Cart Bag
:Clicgear: 4.0 Push Cart (I'm walking 9 outta 10 rounds!!)

Welcome aboard! My 72 year old father who taught me the game uses the term frog hair all the time and I love it! I'll start using the term more regularly in honor of both of you. Blessings Doc

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Welcome Doc,

We use the term froghair all of the time.  I really did not know it was missing because I hear it every week.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Welcome and thanks for the bit of history. I took the game up late in life and missed out on some truly classic times and integral feats achieved in the game. 

Taylormade R5 Dual TP 9.5* Aldila Voodoo SVS7

Taylormade V Steel 15* Accra M4 Dymatch 

Titleist 909H 17* Aldila Voodoo

Taylormade V Steel 18* S300

Wilson DXI 25* Aldila Voodoo SVS8

Taylormade 2003 Rac CB 5-PW S300

Cleveland Tour Issue 588 54* Tour Zip Grooves PX 6.5 Flighted

Fourteen MT 28 V5 TS 62* DG 

C&L 355g Beached 34"

I guess we show our age here. I use the term frequently. Don't fret about it things come into vogue go out and then come back all the time. Welcome aboard.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

• 3 weeks later...

Archived