TESTERS WANTED! ×

2014 Wilson FG Tour Ball

The Dansome

• SPY VIP

Wilson has been releasing sneaks peaks of their new ball via Instagram & Twitter. Here's what we know so far.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Go to our Instagram @ wilson_golf to see!

Uhhhh wha?..??

I guess I'll,wait till I find one...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I would be curious to give these a try.  I have about 10 dozen of the 50 Elite balls that I got from our marketing guy at work and have yet to try them out.

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

The previews of these have been pretty stellar

Will they be available as FG Tour and FG Tour X again this year? I played the FG Tours for quite awhile last season and liked them, but I think the FG Tour X would have felt a little better. 

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

• SPY VIP

Will they be available as FG Tour and FG Tour X again this year? I played the FG Tours for quite awhile last season and liked them, but I think the FG Tour X would have felt a little better. 

Only one version of the ball, and it's a good one. Significant improvement over last year. I think that a lot of people will enjoy this ball.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Curious, I enjoyed the FG Tour last year.  Only 'complaint' I really had with them was that *I* seemed to be capable of making them turn far more than the Penta TP5 / Lethal I usually played with.  

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

OK cool but I wonder how many of their staffers are actually playing it on tour?

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 1 month later...

FG Tour was one of the nicest surprises of 2013 for me. Hopefully the "one ball" concept doesn't ruin a good thing.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

This ball is even better.

In what sense? Did you play the Tour or the X?

I won a dozen of these at a tournament in August and still have one left. What a great ball!! Love the control, great wind ball. Soft feel makes every shot feel like you just pured it, but the distance control is still good throughout the bag, and plenty long off the driver. W/S brought me around with interest in their gear again with this ball.

Now if only the new woods didn't have a hosel on them the size of a tree trunk. Oh well...

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

• 2 weeks later...

Headed to Key West in the morning for a week. Look what arrived at my door just in time!

IMG_1804.jpg

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

I would be curious to give these a try.  I have about 10 dozen of the 50 Elite balls that I got from our marketing guy at work and have yet to try them out.

Usually play the Elite 50 early in the year -- for the price it's one hell of a golf ball!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I gamed a Wilson Duo Tennis ball this past weekend playing with TXCATMAN.  GREAT GOLF BALL for the winter time.  Almost jarred one on a par three....

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

I gamed a Wilson Duo Tennis ball this past weekend playing with TXCATMAN. GREAT GOLF BALL for the winter time. Almost jarred one on a par three....

Yea it did everything but go in, swear that cup thought it was hot Saturday night having a ball that close...

BTW, you also air mailed a green by 15yards with one of those tennis balls! Crazy speed pockets! Not like i fared any better that round.

On a serious note, I picked up a box of '13 FG Tour X that I'm waiting to put in play when warmer weather hits. I'll try to pick up a sleeve of these to compare.

Bag One: :taylormade-small: '16 M2, Tour AD-GP 7S

:adams-small:  XTD Ti 15*, Tour AD-GT 8S

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

:mizuno-small:  MP-H5 4-PW, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 51/08, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 58/10, DG Spinner

:cameron-small:  2012 Newport2, 34"

• 1 month later...

Paul- Am curious as to what your impressions are after using the new FG Tour ball on your Key West trip. I have some on the way. I gamed the FG Tour X most of last season and was happy with it except I missed the FG Tours softness around the greens and putting. I've mentioned it before but the old FG tour spun more and got mushy off the tee in hot weather. The X solved both those problems but at the price of greenside feel.  I'm curious if the new version retains the good feel and spins less. The tour ball pricing suprises me a bit, but if it performs I'll go with it.

I also used the Callaway Hex Black and Pro V1x last year...Do you feel it's comparable?

I just picked 3 dozen of last years x's on the cheap. Played a few with them yesterday. Long and soft. I'm not sure about around the green yet though.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

I might get a doz of the new FGT sometime soon. Maybe. I bought mine at Academy on a closeout for... $5.95 per dozen!! I'm not kidding. I usually don't buy balls that cost $45-$49 doz. There are plenty of very good balls out there in the $28 to $32 range.  I read a review last year on another site and decided to give them a try. I still have a doz of the FGT and FGTx. I thought they were both very good balls. Overall I'd say I prefer the FGT over the X.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I really have tried to enjoy the X, but I don't like it. It's glaring weakness is green side feel. With the old Tours, feel in the short game was excellent but it felt too mushy to really perform in the long game.

So I have only played 3 rounds so far, and I compared the new Tours vs the old Xs. While the new ball performed at least as well as the X, the feel was vastly improved. The new ball is so excellent that it's worth a shot no matter what category ball you game.

Now, with all that said, I'm still torn between the new Tour and the Maxfli U/4x.

Thanks, Paul...Received my new FG Tours today...will play them Sunday and see if I have similar results. I normally stay in the $26-$32 range for balls but I like the direction Wilson has been heading the last 5 years and if all things are equal I give Wilson my $$...I've played the original FG Tour irons since they came out and have had good success. If I had unlimited funds I would have gone to V2 or the new M3  (which looks better in person than in the photos I've seen). To be honest, I'd love to try the FG Tour 100...It's gorgeous and even if I don't have the consistency for them, there's nothing like pure blade hits...I like the Wilson Rep idea...I feel like the only guy in the Rockies playing Wilson Staff....

Just hitting putts on the carpet I can tell a huge difference between the new Tour and last years Tour X...The X is higher pitched, tinny and hard  feeling/sounding putt...The new Tour is softer off the club face and more muted...The Pro V1x is more like the high pitch of the FG Tour X.  Does it mean a darn thing? Not really.  But I like how the new one sounds and feels off a milled face, can't wait to hear and feel it off irons and driver. First impression is good. As you experienced, the FG Tour X was solid off the tee and fairways but I found it unsatisfying 125 yards in and especially around and on the green. Too clicky.

Liking everything I'm hearing so far. Stocked up on closeouts this winter, but might circle back to these.

I like a "middle ground" ball like the old TM TP RED LDP's that are high spin yet still long off the tee.

I have to say though, albeit the FG Tour feels soft at impact, I saw very nice distance, which had not been the case with others like a B-330RX (whatever they're called) that I felt I was over-compressing and losing distance. I'm kinda addicted to the soft feel now, in fact.

"Glute Activator"

Liking everything I'm hearing so far. Stocked up on closeouts this winter, but might circle back to these.

I like a "middle ground" ball like the old TM TP RED LDP's that are high spin yet still long off the tee.

I have to say though, albeit the FG Tour feels soft at impact, I saw very nice distance, which had not been the case with others like a B-330RX (whatever they're called) that I felt I was over-compressing and losing distance. I'm kinda addicted to the soft feel now, in fact.

Have you tried the Maxfli U/4x?

Have you tried the Maxfli U/4x?

I haven't. I'm fairly stocked up on closeouts from this fall, so it might be a while 'til I stock up again. I like to get some ideas through the season on what to look for on closeout. I saw you mentioned those in another thread. Are they made by another company for Dick's/GG? I'll generally try out any ball with a urethane cover to see what they'll do.

"Glute Activator"

Will have to try the Maxfli U/4x...Haven't bought a Maxfli since Dicks took them over.  Will give it a shot.

I moved to a town without a golf shop...Going through withdrawl..I spend time on TGW, Edwin Watts etc to get my equipment buzz now. Sports Authority is the only game in town..

They aren't bad, but they aim towards the middle market almost exclusively. You can get your Pro V's there but that's about it....Sigh...Thank Gore for the internet :)

Quick review after 18- It's a solid all around ball. Holds its line in the wind.  The spin issue I had with the original ball is reduced by quite a bit. Feels great on approach shot and retains the putter feel of the original.  Good premium ball.

Archived