Fitting a sham?

Our Sponsors

I think it depends on the fitter.  Many fitters want to get a club sold and get you out it seems.  They lock you in when they get the numbers that make them happy even if you have maybe only tried 1-2 shafts.  I would just make sure they go to someone committed to the process so they aren't discouraged and they get the proper results.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

All due respect, I couldn't disagree more.  Swing Speed has nothing to do with determining whether or not a player could benefit from a fitting.  

-Off the rack means 45", 46", and sometimes longer driver lengths.  In other words too long for Pros.  Way too long for amateurs.  

-Off the rack means light weight, not right weight and standard run of the mill D2 swingweight.  

-Off the rack means standard grip size.  

-Off the rack means "the best loft for you is one of these we have in stock". 

Obviously I could go on and on.  And the funny thing is a lot of times the lesser player benefits more from finding the proper specs than the single digit.  Better players can pick up anything and play with it because they have the talent/athletic ability to do so.  Unfortunately the misconceptions like "I'm not good enough to get fit" dominate and in the end it's usually the low capper looking for any last edge who will pay for a proper fitting.  Not always, but seems like it.

I think this is spot on. None of these changes are major or expensive but simply using a driver with a shaft that is less than 45" might save a mid handicapper 2 strokes a round. I have one friend on that site who always and I mean always pulls his irons. He's convinced it's him. Not a chance. He's a 9 he has a solid swing. It's the lie on his irons.

Someone else suggested referencing the fitting section in golf digest. I will give that a try.

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

All due respect, I couldn't disagree more.  Swing Speed has nothing to do with determining whether or not a player could benefit from a fitting.  

-Off the rack means 45", 46", and sometimes longer driver lengths.  In other words too long for Pros.  Way too long for amateurs.  

-Off the rack means light weight, not right weight and standard run of the mill D2 swingweight.  

-Off the rack means standard grip size.  

-Off the rack means "the best loft for you is one of these we have in stock". 

Obviously I could go on and on.  And the funny thing is a lot of times the lesser player benefits more from finding the proper specs than the single digit.  Better players can pick up anything and play with it because they have the talent/athletic ability to do so.  Unfortunately the misconceptions like "I'm not good enough to get fit" dominate and in the end it's usually the low capper looking for any last edge who will pay for a proper fitting.  Not always, but seems like it.

Fair point, especially about the grip size, though most people do fit into standard grip. I split golfers into a few categories in terms of fitting. My point was really about fitting the proper shaft rather than the basic stuff, but I did a poor job saying that in my original post. Flat out, until a golfer is good enough to not flip a club, they cannot be fit in this manner.

For beginners and most golfers, I wouldn't worry about weight so much beyond what's available for stock. The main concern would be length and grip, since not having these correct can lead to poor habits. I hadn't thought of that before, so I'll cede that point. Neither of these are hard to fix though. Everything else can be found off the shelf though for 90% of golfers.

Length of driver is huge though. Huge it's why I totally disagree with the notion that fitting is only for better golfers.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Length of driver is huge though. Huge it's why I totally disagree with the notion that fitting is only for better golfers.

I did mention grip and length as something that even beginners need? Forgot shaft flex. Definitely want proper flex. Beyond that you're going to bore most of the population.

That said, to say stock vs shorter drive length is huge is a bit much. The MGS labs found an average of 5 yards difference offline with a 43.75" driver and a 45.75" driver. With the shorter hitter, the difference in both distance and yards offline was negligible. Plus, good luck selling a shorter driver shaft to most people.

http://www.mygolfspy.com/mgs-labs-is-longer-really-longer/

Length has a part, so does the weight of the shaft, weight of the head, lie and loft, club center of balance, all related to how the player swings, what he's comfortable with. There is also the business of the golfer's golf muscles. They are there, we just don't use them in our daily lives and do need to do some work to get them into business. Too many of us have forgotten our birth pains. Real fitting ain't easy.

Shambles

I did mention grip and length as something that even beginners need? Forgot shaft flex. Definitely want proper flex. Beyond that you're going to bore most of the population.

That said, to say stock vs shorter drive length is huge is a bit much. The MGS labs found an average of 5 yards difference offline with a 43.75" driver and a 45.75" driver. With the shorter hitter, the difference in both distance and yards offline was negligible. Plus, good luck selling a shorter driver shaft to most people.

Okay so I agree . I will change the huge to makes a difference. Five yards right or left can add up to strokes beyond a doubt and we haven't gotten to the bad habits that swinging a club that is too long may create.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Okay so I agree . I will change the huge to makes a difference. Five yards right or left can add up to strokes beyond a doubt and we haven't gotten to the bad habits that swinging a club that is too long may create.

That was my point on the length, but that's mainly for wedges and irons. Most of us on the forums agree with 5 yards being a big deal, but it would be a hard sell for most people I know.

Hell, one of my friends is just happen when he hits the ball into the air. No way I'd recommend he get fit beyond length/flex. However, since he's of average height and normal hand sizes, he doesn't even need to worry about that.