Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

3h or 5w?

Paul S

Well, I'm curious as to what people bag that's in the 18-20 degree range. I'm wondering if I should try playing a 5 wood versus my hybrid, but being that the hybrid I just picked up with Christmas gift cards is a highly Covert Tour 18-22, I'm almost considering playing it as a strong 4iron and picking up a 5 wood as well. 

Does anyone have any good insight to why they play what they play between the 3 wood and irons?

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

I have a 19 degree hybrid and a 5 wood that I interchange based upon the course and conditions. The 5 wood is the default club. The hybrid is great on a dry course off the tee and it would no doubt get more play in the summer if I still lived up north.

We have two par threes at my league course that require a five wood type shot for me depending upon wind and pin position.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I carry both.

They fly different, roll different and land different. I find the only legitimate alternative to hybrids for me is a long iron and that works, but is more difficult to use reliably. As a matter of fact, I've replaced my 3 and 4 Iron with Hybrids simply because they are really easier to use in more conditions and where an Iron is a must, it is usually smarter to play a mid or short and try to stretch them.

Shambles

Shambles, what do you carry in a standard 14 club setup? I'm kind of debating setting the Covert Tour to 21-22 degrees and removing my 4 iron for a 5 wood.

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

3 hybrid,,I can hit that as far as my driver at times,,and draw it,

A cheapo tommy armour $45 hybrid,, best investment ever

Metal woods/ graphite shafts and hybrids were the biggest advancements in the game,,,IMO.. The ball is also on that list too.

I carry neither. I bag a 13* 3 wood and a 21* 4 hybrid. Nothing between them. Yeah occasionally it bites me but I'd rather put another wedge in rather than a club I might use once every few rounds.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I have both.  Alternate between either an Adams LS 18* wood, Adams 18* Idea Pro hybrid, or a 60* wedge.  Depends on the course on which I use but more time than not it's the LS 5 wood.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I played around on Qbids for a couple of weeks and the only auction I won was for a Rocketballz 5 wood.  Hadn't bagged a 5 wood for decades, but after unexpectedly winning, I gave it a try.  It is my one and only dependable club other than the gap wedge.  Even when I'm playing terrible, I can usually hit good, if not great, shots with this club.  I should use it more.  I use it instead of the 3 wood off the deck and off the tee on two holes.  I have a rocketballz 4 hybrid.  Four wedges and no four iron.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

I carry a 17*, 21* and 25* but will take the 21* out for a 19.5* or GW depending on the mood. Love my 17 of the tee on limited driving space holes coupled with the ability to hit a low stinger or high floater. No desire to ever bag a 5 wood again.

Taylormade R5 Dual TP 9.5* Aldila Voodoo SVS7

Taylormade V Steel 15* Accra M4 Dymatch 

Titleist 909H 17* Aldila Voodoo

Taylormade V Steel 18* S300

Wilson DXI 25* Aldila Voodoo SVS8

Taylormade 2003 Rac CB 5-PW S300

Cleveland Tour Issue 588 54* Tour Zip Grooves PX 6.5 Flighted

Fourteen MT 28 V5 TS 62* DG 

C&L 355g Beached 34"

This past year, I have changed clubs in my bag almost as often as I have my golf shirts. The top and the bottom of the bag are always the areas of interest and change, but I will limit my discussion here to the top of the bag in this thread.

This year I am planning on sticking with one set up, as soon as I get it. Just today, I ordered my new (to me) irons and have another new wedge coming,  Perhaps by the end of the week, it will be set. 

The plan this year is to have the 4 as my longest iron.  Last year, I carried the Mizuno Fli Hi 2 and 3 irons most of the year, but after careful debate, I found that these are not so great at stopping the ball on the green.  I decided that the hybrid gives me the same distance off the tee but is better on the approach shots to the green.  The key was finding the right hybrid.  It turns out that I had the hybrid for a number of years.  I installed a 909H 19* on a KBS C Taper Lite shaft.  This is a very accurate combination.  Finding a hybrid that did not turn hard left was also a major concern.

The next item is the fairway metal.  I have had a host of 3 woods pass through the bag, as well as a couple of 5 woods.  For the most part, a 3 wood is tough to hit consistently off the dirt, and a 5 wood will balloon of the tee pretty easily.  While I might still occasionally add my TaylorMade R11 3 Wood on really long or tight courses where I do not want to hit a driver off the tee.  I have put this on a 44" driver shaft and have it set on 12.5*.  This is my Phrankenwood and I really like this club, but it is a special occasion club. My daily use FM is my oldest club, other than my 1997 vintage putter, in the bag.  It is a Titleist 980F 17* 4 Wood, and I have tried on many occasions to replace this club.  In all honestly, I also have a 12* version that I am tempted to reshaft as my Phrankenwood.  It is every bit as good as the TMag.  This was the same vintage club that Phil originally reshaft and to make the first Phrankenwood in Phoenix last year. The 4 wood I use is still plenty long off the tee, but it is much easier to hit off the deck than the lower lofted clubs.  While this head is from 2002 I have reshafted this club at least once a year.  Currently, it has a Kuro Kage Black.  This is a high launching shaft.  I love the small head on it and it allows me to hit from a multitude of lies.

So there you have it for me.  No 5 wood and normally a 4 wood and 19* hybrid.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I carry neither. I bag a 13* 3 wood and a 21* 4 hybrid. Nothing between them. Yeah occasionally it bites me but I'd rather put another wedge in rather than a club I might use once every few rounds.

This is interesting. The 3 wood I have is a 13* too and it's a really great club. My problem is that since I'm pretty small, I could not get away with the gap between the 13* 3 wood and the 21* hybrid. I need something intermediate. The more I think about it and read the replies here, the more I want to kind of pick up a 5 wood and then set the hybrid to 22* to act as a long 4 iron. 

Lot's of interesting responses though!

To me it is one of those subjective things about this great game. I personally cannot hit hybrids consistant. I do carry a 21* 7 wood. It is a go to club for me I can hit a variety of shots with it. I have built a club that I am going to try if it ever quits raining here. I was looking through some stuff that I acquired a year or so and found 2 9 wood heads. They are 26* heavy bottom no name brands. I had a used Pro Force 65 gold shaft laying around so I put it together.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I have a 16* and a 20* hybrid with no fairway woods in my bag. Personally I've always had a harder time hitting fairway woods.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0*. (Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65)

FW: Cobra F9 3W (MC Diamana RF 60)
Hybrid:
Callaway Apex 19 2H (KBS - 85)

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4H (MC - Kuro Kage 80 HY)
Irons: Callaway XR Steelhead 5I - AW (Project X 6.0 Steel)
Wedges: Callaway MD3 54* Standard; PM Grind 58* (Project X 5.5 Steel)
Putter: Odyssey Toulon - Atlanta (35")
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft, Titleist Pro-V1, Whatever is in the Weeds
Resident of Southern California

It seems to be a swing thing.  

I carried 2 hybrids for a long time without a fairway.  When I hit them alright, I could launch them a mile, but I could never consistently control them.

Eventually I added a FW, and that I could hit consistantly.  Since then I've dropped one of my hybrids and I am on the verge of dropping the other and going back to a true 3i instead of a 3h.

Technically speaking, the hybrid is supposed to be the easier to hit,  but for my swing, it never was (though I now believe this to be a product of the shafts in place and assumptions based upon a bag fitting done when I was in FAR worse physical condition). 

So in the end, I think the answer to your question is, try each, and sort out what works best for you.  There is no cookie cutter bag that works for a majority of golfers.  Each swing, mind and body works different, so we are each, to a certain degree, on our own.  

From a distance/flight/launch perspective, the difference between a 5w a 4h and a 3i  probably only vary marginally for a machine, but the confidence in being able to hit any of the given options to a predictable distance and placement is what really matters here.  

Given all of that my advice is simply this, try each, and find what works best for you.  If you have the time and funds, have an instructor or a fitter work with you to get it tweaked to how you play. 

I know I have a tendency to worry about equipment, and equipment does impact the game, but not as much as the confidence in your ability to swing a given club.  If you know you can pull that stick and hit it at a target with a high rate of success, that is the stick you need to use.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Cobra Baffler T-Rail+ 17*. Fits well between my 15.5* 3 wood and my 3 iron and is the easiest hybrid to hit I've ever owned. No more pulls to the left like some other hybrids I've had.

Driver  - Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 10.5 * Miyazaki Kua 5 / R Flex

FW - Sub70 Pro 4 wood 16.5 * Project X HL / R Flex

Irons - Cleveland Launcher CBX 4-PW Miyazaki Kua 6 / R Flex

Wedges - Cleveland Launcher CBX 50* & 54* Rolex Wedge Flex

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado 35 "

Ball - On Core Elixer

I just redid the top of the bag this past season.  I used to bag a 17° 4w and 19° hybrid and that fit my gaps nicely.  Since switching to the Amp Cell irons my 4i distance crept up and I wasn't getting a proper gap between that and the hybrid.

So switched to a 14.5° 3w and a 16.5° hybrid.  The distance gapping is better with this setup for me.  There is a little bit larger gap between that hybrid and my 4i now, but I adjust for that by gripping down the hybrid.  A full swing with regular grip is standard, and then a full swing gripped down to the shaft takes just enough off to not need another club before I get to my irons.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I have this exact choice to make to fill the last spot in my bag.  I played last year with a gap between my 3-wood (which I really wanted as a mini-driver for less distance off the tee) and my 4-iron. Since I'm still working to get a repeatable swing the gap in distance never bothered me last year.  This year I plan on playing smarter golf which will require understanding of the carry distances and trajectories for all my clubs.  The hybrid is my current plan over the 5-wood but I need to head to where I can swing a few and see what I like.

Ping G30 driver 9.0 Tour 65 X 45"
Cobra Bio-Cell 3-wood ATX Tour Blue TX75 42.5"

Cobra Bio-Cell 3-4 Hybrid Irod 85F5 40.5"
Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW KBS Tour S+
Titleist SM4 wedges 56 & 60.
Ping Tomcat C with Super Stroke 3.0 grip

Bridgestone B330

I switched out my 3 and 5 woods for hybrids.  I switched my 13* RBZ fairway and my 17* RBZ fairway for hybrids purely because I can hit my hybrids better from the rough than the fairway metals.  I hit both well from the fairway.  In fact I hit the woods longer by about 10 yards but from the rough the woods were less consistent.  Nothing feels worse than rolling one out of the rough when you have reachable yardage on a par 5.

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

Right now I have both, x hot 19* 3h, exotics 5w, the hybrid is new, just trying some things out, can get more roll with hybrid, I love the 5 wood, so that will stay. I want to add a 54* wedge so something will have to go in order to do that.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

A very good question with the emergence of the hybrids. I love my X Hot 4 iron and always carry it as it is great from the tee box for short par 4 holes but more importantly it has great penetration into the wind and is ideal for keeping low under branches.

I have the RB 5 wood but seldom carry it as I prefer the accuracy of my Adams Super S 17* hybrid. The 5 wood is great if you need a high shot and that is what my bag usually lacks as I hit my X Hot 3 wood fairly low.

• 2 weeks later...

I went with a Hybrids to replace my fairway woods.  I just never found a FW I could hit consistently, so I pulled them out of the bag a couple years ago and went with a 17* hybrid.  I'm more confident hitting hybrids than fairway woods.  To me hybrids are easier to hit off the turf and rough.  My setup right now is the Ping Anser 17* Hybrid and the Adams a12 19* Hybrid.  

Driver:  Titleist 915D2 9.5* (Set at 10.25*) w/ Diamana S+ Blue
Fairway:  TaylorMade Aeroburner Black 16.5* HL w/ Matrix Rul-Z 
Hybrids:  Titleist 915H 18*(Set at 19.5*) w/ Diamana S+ Blue
Irons:  Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi (4 Iron) w/ Graphite Design Aura Blue
            Mizuno JPX-850 Forged (5-9) w/ True Temper XP 105
Wedges:  Mizuno JPX-850 Forged (PW 45*) w/ True Temper XP 105
                 Mizuno MP-R12 (50*, 54*, 58*) w/ DG Spinner
Putter:  Scotty Cameron Select GoLo S

Balls:  Callaway Chrome Soft / TaylorMade Project (a)
Bag:  OGIO Chamber
Shoes:  Nike TW '15

It seems to be a swing thing.  

I carried 2 hybrids for a long time without a fairway.  When I hit them alright, I could launch them a mile, but I could never consistently control them.

Eventually I added a FW, and that I could hit consistantly.  Since then I've dropped one of my hybrids and I am on the verge of dropping the other and going back to a true 3i instead of a 3h.

Technically speaking, the hybrid is supposed to be the easier to hit,  but for my swing, it never was (though I now believe this to be a product of the shafts in place and assumptions based upon a bag fitting done when I was in FAR worse physical condition). 

So in the end, I think the answer to your question is, try each, and sort out what works best for you.  There is no cookie cutter bag that works for a majority of golfers.  Each swing, mind and body works different, so we are each, to a certain degree, on our own.  

From a distance/flight/launch perspective, the difference between a 5w a 4h and a 3i  probably only vary marginally for a machine, but the confidence in being able to hit any of the given options to a predictable distance and placement is what really matters here.  

Given all of that my advice is simply this, try each, and find what works best for you.  If you have the time and funds, have an instructor or a fitter work with you to get it tweaked to how you play. 

I know I have a tendency to worry about equipment, and equipment does impact the game, but not as much as the confidence in your ability to swing a given club.  If you know you can pull that stick and hit it at a target with a high rate of success, that is the stick you need to use.

I'm with you.  Based on Friday's round, I'm considering taking out the 4 hybrid and putting back the 4i.  The 4h has destroyed almost all of my recent rounds.  For some reason, I hit dead pulls, push straight right, tops, digs, on about half the shots I take with it.  I can hit it well, but it has the propensity for really bad shots that cost a stroke or more than one stroke.  As noted above, that almost never happens with the 5w.  At least with the 4i, I won't have the disaster shots.  May not hit as many good scoring shots with it, but I can live with being a bit short or 10-15 yds right or left.  I can't really explain it.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Archived