TESTERS WANTED! ×

MYGOLFSPY 2014 - Past & Present & Future

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

Thanks for the past. Been very helpful and fun for myself as a regular golfer...The future looks bright for you guys as well...Having said that, I would like to see you guys create a section for products, testing, reviews, etc., that would help benefit a golfer that is in the 10-20 (or above) handicap range, such as myself. Perhaps this means bringing on a few staff members that have a knowledge and love of the game, but simply aren't able to shoot really low scores. In my opinion, it seems that a lot of information is more technical and geared towards those that shoot low scores. Perhaps there is something like what I'm asking for already, I just have not noticed it. I like all the information you have provided, but some product is not realistic for me (i.e. blades).

But overall, great work and keep it going. I always look forward to seeing new products, no matter what skill level.

Hi, my name is Dave. Double-capping at your service...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Why apologize? Lol. The guys here don't need the apology. We realize it's a process. Keep pushing forward and I'm sure no one here will be disappointed.

And the question now becomes where's the test facility gonna be? West coast, Midwest, south, southeast? Lol

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Looking forward to this year,  can't say 2013 was a down year in my opinion though.  There always seemed to be new info on the site that was worth reading. 

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I'm not going anywhere. I came to learn more about golf equipment and got so much more, friends, won some equipment, know what it's like to be fit like a pro. Hopefully I've contributed some as well. Here's to a banner 2014!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Very exciting news, indeed. Much like what has already been said above, I used to read GOLF and GD before I found MGS. I think that MGS has helped many of us realize what being dedicated to bringing real news, information, testing data, etc., to the golfer and golf consumer REALLY means. I appreciate the fact that MGS has consistently demonstrated this dedication. Looking forward to the new year!

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

A)  No apologies needed.  I did think the number of individual club reviews decreased a bit this past year, but thought the content throughout the year was still interesting and compelling.

2)  Looking forward to the new changes for 2014.

III)  Would love to help out with reviews/input as needed throughout the year.  Although I don't post much, I definitely visit the site daily (multiple times to be honest...).

Best of luck!

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

I've been viewing this website for only about a year, so I didn't think there was anything even remotely disappointing about the site.

But it really sounds like you are working even harder to make things better.

Those changes you mentioned sound great.

I've been a member for a few years now and I have never been disappointed with what MGS has to offer.  I am though very excited to see what is planned for 2014 and beyond.  Keep up the great work and good luck! 

Driver: Ping G410 10.5* w/Hazrdus Blk 6.0 (S)

Fairway W: Ping G400 3 Wood w/stock (S)

Hybrid: Taylormade Gapr Lo 3 w/stock (S)

Irons:  Ping i210 4-PW w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Wedges: Callaway Jaws 48, 52, 56 w/Dynamic Gold 120 (S)

Putter: Odyssey 3T

Ball: Taylormade TP5 X 

Well I have been here since day 1 and have always liked the different approach MGS took when starting this website forum .The biggest was deciding to not be like every other golf forum. That said I would like to see possibly a  Podcast channel that  could actually show some of what really physically goes into all the different testing aspects, in addition to what has already been done on the blog. . I think once you get the LAB ( testing facility)  up and running, you can have  video of all the tests performed along with interviews of industry leaders and inventors would be an excellent addition to the site. I know it's been talked about before but i believe video and live interview where site members can participate makes a big difference. It's being done by some OEM's  but I feel thee are lots of topics that haven't been covered, example all the different steps it takes to actually put any golf product into production, We could have interviews from A to Z  with key players in the designing and development golf equipment. I'd love to be part of that process. Obviously the social media side of the golf business is changing rapidly and has really grown immensely in the last year.  I realize all these things take money or sponsorship to run a top tier program so i'm not sure how many things can actually become reality, but I can see having video at a testing facility as something that can generate lots of topics and stories without too much expense besides a decent camera and a couple guys who are good operating the camera from both sides. i'm sure others will have some great ideas to move the site forward. Also i along with others feel there's no need for apologies, there's always going to be some bumps in the road. Good luck going forward and if I can help at all don't hesitate to ask.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

How do you operate a camera from both sides? Lol. Sorry had to bust your balls on that one. Carry on

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I like what you guys have been up to and the future looks even rosier. Been hanging around golf forums for 14 years and that included being a moderator at one place with some friends of mine. One constant in the 14 years there always seemed to be the village idiot and some places there were many; here I have yet to see anyone who would hold this postion down. Congratulations on keeping this place clean of these types.

Keep up the good work guys!

How do you operate a camera from both sides? Lol. Sorry had to bust your balls on that one. Carry on

I think that's called the old "reach around."

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

You know what I meant Mr. RB7...lol

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

Any plans for an iPhone and/or Android app?

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

All of this info sounds great!  I'm really interested in the testing facility.  I think it'd be cool to do like a weekly poll with two groups of clubs.  Members can vote for a "Group A" driver/fairway/hybrid/iron to go up against a "Group B."  Perhaps the top three receiving votes from each group can have a featured showdown?

It'll also be great to read/watch more peer/staff reviews.  I was fortunate enough to test some shafts for the community, and I'd love to have more people get the chance to post their thoughts on new and yet-to-be released equipment from balls to gloves to bags and clubs.

Bag One: :taylormade-small: '16 M2, Tour AD-GP 7S

:adams-small:  XTD Ti 15*, Tour AD-GT 8S

:taylormade-small:  RBZ Stage2 Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid, Matrix Ozik Altus 85S Wilson FG Tour F5 21* hybrid, stock

:mizuno-small:  MP-H5 4-PW, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 51/08, Project X 5.5

:mizuno-small:  MP-T5, 58/10, DG Spinner

:cameron-small:  2012 Newport2, 34"

• 4 weeks later...

I don't recall how I found MGS but I've been here every day since. Thanks guys. One thing if I may.... With the new site please don't follow taylormade down their Hack Golf road. This is a fun, informative and serious golf site. Carry on and live well my friends.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds great, I'm excited

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

• 3 years later...

I especially enjoyed this post because Adam's comments indicate that the site's future was in a level of uncertainty. Moving into the testing facility was a big leap of faith that could've gone horribly wrong because I know how expensive those types of places are to keep open. Way to bet on yourself and come up all 7's!

Now here we are entering year 5 of phase 2 and I'd say you checked off all 6 of your goals and then some.

So what's next? Seems like that beta test would be the start of 'phase 3' hmmm?

And about those those staff openings? Check out these awesome foreshadowing posts as they're currently hunting for more staff as we speak:

Sounds exciting, can't wait.

I'm giddy!!

Where is the testing facility located?

Hi, my name is Dave. Double-capping at your service...

Sent from #throwbackthursday

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Do to the cold weather....  " All Beta Testing will be done in MAUI."   Then I woke up.  Although I am very excited about this endeavor. 

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Do to the cold weather.... " All Beta Testing will be done in MAUI." Then I woke up. Although I am very excited about this endeavor.

If you need someone to help in Maui let me know. I'm going crazy with the weather here in Ohio.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel