TESTERS WANTED! ×

Ping i20s

revkev

I will be getting new irons this season. I'm just not in love with what I'm currently playing enough to overlook how cumbersome the short irons seem.

So far I've hit the Ping i20's, Rocket bladZ and MP 54s. If I were to go Mizuno I'd go 53s to save money.

Is anyone playing the i20's. I liked the way I hit them. Thanks

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Yes to whiskey and yes, but to shambles.

Right now the longest iron I carry is a 6. I've thought of going serious players iron mp 64 and then hybrid 6. But let's face it lofted hybrids are difficult to hit low and it gets windy here sometimes. I'm actually considering bagging a 5 iron again. I've tried the split set and the difference in turf interaction drove me nuts.

@ shambles the fact that the i25 is out means the i20 will be cheaper. I will go last years model whatever I choose. And yes the i25 looks good but so does the i20. The 54 looks better still but I think I will get more forgiveness out of the Pings.

I am anxious to here from someone who is playing something in the I series.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The closest thing I have to an i series club are my EYE 2's. :)

I thought the business of plating stainless clubs a turn off and so turned away from the i20's. Seemed like a good club and felt pretty Ping style when I visited a shop to try them out but the idea of gilding the Lily just plain drove me up the wall. Plating only lasts about 4000 strikes before showing wear.

The i25 attracts me in looks but reports of the increased bounce give me pause and I would have to give it a few swings at the range to see if I will chance trying to live with it. The wedge looks good to me but as with all wedges, I really need to get a good look/see at the leading edge and the location of the bounce for my personal purposes. Different people have different needs. I flat out like what looks to be the return of the tumble finish and am looking forward to giving that set a personal eyeball and feel session to check the other details.

I just threw the model into your mix to mess you up a bit. :blush:

Shambles

I have some new clubs that will be here on Monday I am very excited to talk about.

Once they are here.  Haha

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Well I got home from vacation to a flooded bathroom. There may be a delay. I'm pretty set on Ping or Mizuno. It's a nostalgia thing. It's going to be something from one or the other and yes I know they are different animals but hey I'm a fairly good player who can adapt. I'm really leaning Ping just because I loved those eye 2s.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

The "different" progressive concept of the i20s for me is one of the better "combo" set ideas in a while. Making the longer irons slightly bigger/more face area not only has more forgiveness but also gives more confidence.

Mentally I appreciate that better than having a pocket cavity or having a wider sole. Both work but both don't visually help when you're over the ball.

I have tried the demo set 5xs time. I hit them well. The Ping offset/hosel transition just doesn't get me to address properly.

The "different" progressive concept of the i20s for me is one of the better "combo" set ideas in a while. Making the longer irons slightly bigger/more face area not only has more forgiveness but also gives more confidence.

Mentally I appreciate that better than having a pocket cavity or having a wider sole. Both work but both don't visually help when you're over the ball.

I have tried the demo set 5xs time. I hit them well. The Ping offset/hosel transition just doesn't get me to address properly.

That's helpful. Thanks

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Okay I went to Edwin watts today while the plumber was and in fact still is ripping the master bathroom apart (long story). I tried the i20s, speed blades, rocket blades (saw no difference), amp cell and then looked at the Adams spot. I actually was very impressed by both their players iron and their super s offering. Granted the sole is a bit thick on that one but 3/4 of my year is played in lush conditions. What I liked was the reasonable top line, prettier than my mizuns in the short irons, the price and how I hit them. The best value that I tried was last years Adams pro line iron reshafted with some fujikaras for $400. I came very close to pulling the trigger on those. Uh fact had the plumber not been at my house I would be putting them in my bag right now.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Although I just sold mine because I had the wrong shafts in them the I20's are a very nice iron.Very forgiving and great turf interaction.If you like working the ball you can do so with no problem.

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

Although I just sold mine because I had the wrong shafts in them the I20's are a very nice iron.Very forgiving and great turf interaction.If you like working the ball you can do so with no problem.

Thanks - what was the shaft issue?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Thanks - what was the shaft issue?

I had a bad fitting and went with 1/2" longer shaft and regular flex cfs's. I lost distance because of excessive spin. Plus, I moved a lot of dirt due to the length. :)

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

Kind of late to the party, but I've had my i20s for almost two years and have been very happy with them. Based only on handicap and reading your other posts Rev, I imagine I need more forgiveness in my irons than you do. I don't lose much distance on mis-hits and I really don't notice the larger profile of the iron. I had been playing Dynacraft and Maltby irons before, which can feel nicer I suppose...if you catch them flush. The Pings are solid feeling, confidence inspiring irons, for sure. And you will know where you've caught the ball on the face. I tend to miss toward the toe, and the i20s do not punish such a miss too severely. Anyway, very happy with their play. TT DG S300 shafts in mine, btw. Cheers.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Thanks SeeRed - I played the Eye2 for 15 years and then went away from Ping. I'd kind of like to come back home and these have caught my eye. I like a bit more forgiveness than my handicap would indicate and these seem to be a nice balance between forgiveness and workability.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

During the fitting two years ago I hit just about everything else. I was sure I wanted forged irons. The Pings were hands down the best performing irons that day. I was shocked, actually. Anyway, it would be interesting to hear your take if you play them.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Just bought a set on eBay so we will see.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 2 weeks later...

The tungsten weighting in the toe of the newer Ping irons really makes for a head that is even more forgiving than it's size would indicate with the i20's. Pretty good workability in the scoring clubs, and near hybrid-like forgiveness by the time you get to the long irons. They are one set that fits a truly wide swath of players. Be sure to get fit though, as the flight is quite strong. It's counter-intuitive, but I hit my S-56's and now S-55's higher on average than the i20's with the same shafts in all. Since being fit my ballstriking has really gone to a new level with the Pings.

It's like the head just cradles the ball and then sends it on its way with the tungsten weight. It's like a heel-toe weighted putter with the mass on either side of the ball, but the S series less so for the workability of course.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

The tungsten weighting in the toe of the newer Ping irons really makes for a head that is even more forgiving than it's size would indicate with the i20's. Pretty good workability in the scoring clubs, and near hybrid-like forgiveness by the time you get to the long irons. They are one set that fits a truly wide swath of players. Be sure to get fit though, as the flight is quite strong. It's counter-intuitive, but I hit my S-56's and now S-55's higher on average than the i20's with the same shafts in all. Since being fit my ballstriking has really gone to a new level with the Pings.

It's like the head just cradles the ball and then sends it on its way with the tungsten weight. It's like a heel-toe weighted putter with the mass on either side of the ball, but the S series less so for the workability of course.

I'm finding what you're saying to be true. Just had my third range session with them. I love the 6 iron and can even hit the 5 although I will bag a hybrid rather than messing with it. I also think that less offset will serve me well as my normal ball flight is a draw. These have a nice penetrating flight. As an added bonus I like how the ball reacts when chipping with the short irons. More simple options around the greens. I like that.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived