TESTERS WANTED! ×

Tiger or Phil vs. Zach

Kor.A.Door

do too many of us think we have a game and play a game like Phil or Tiger so we try to model our game after them, ie. trying to reach a par 5 when 280 out, or trying that ridiculous shot that cost you 2 more because you screw it up.

or... should we take a look at a guy like Zach and model our game after someone like that, my distances match up pretty well with Zachs, (I like to think they are more in line with Phil's, but they are not), the major difference with my game and Zachs game is accuracy, this guy over the last few years, is one of the most accurate players on tour, i think i need to take a good look at my game and try to model it after Zach, be more accurate, and pay to my strengths, instead of playing the shot that i think Tiger or Phil, or Bubba would try.

i have been thinking about this since really watching Zach pick the course apart last week, he always put himself in a palce of comfort, and never strayed, I want to be more accurate and deliberate with what i am doing, less stress, and less angry golf man.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Most of us would be wisest to model our games after Paula Craemer. Zach averages 280 off the tee and hits it 300 when need be. The average golfer is around 210 and the average single digit guy around 240.

If you are as long as Zach consistently then by all means go ahead. The rest of us need to watch the LPGA much, much more for course strategy and even there the gals are longer than one might think.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

IMHO, most of us, particularly us older folks, would be better off striving for accuracy above all else.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I think all 3 go into tournaments with a game plan of how to attack the course but with Phil or Tiger they have that extra bit of something that allows them to make those shots that end up becoming history.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Long drives are cool, but they're a dime a dozen. Most people can really catch one on the screws every once in awhile. I'm always more impressed by precision and consistency. That's the stuff that, when I see it, really makes me wonder how the human body is capable of such physics subconsciously.

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

rev, thats really what i am talking about, i used Zach because my distances at this time match pretty well, although my accuracy on iron shots is 20 percent of what Zachs is. i thik a lot of amateurs model their game after the wrong people, and that hurts the way they play, i follow Phil mostly, so thats what i try to be, even though i am nowhere near, but i would be much better off if i picked someone much more in line with what my game really is, and not what i wish it was.

rev, thats really what i am talking about, i used Zach because my distances at this time match pretty well, although my accuracy on iron shots is 20 percent of what Zachs is. i thik a lot of amateurs model their game after the wrong people, and that hurts the way they play, i follow Phil mostly, so thats what i try to be, even though i am nowhere near, but i would be much better off if i picked someone much more in line with what my game really is, and not what i wish it was.

I think there are way too many of us who play like Phil. There's one Phil and we ain't he. I'm telling you the girls are where it's at in regards to how we should attack it.

When Phil's on he's pretty remarkable with his iron play, more than remarkable really. It's the putter or driver that do him in but there are only a handful of guys in the history of the game who wouldn't trade their career for his.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I completely agree. I really enjoy watching the LPGA because it seems like they have the kind of game I can realistically aspire to. I'm not a big guy at all, and I can hit as far as a lot of people larger than myself, so the somewhat stronger ladies are probably closer to my length.

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

I completely agree. I really enjoy watching the LPGA because it seems like they have the kind of game I can realistically aspire to. I'm not a big guy at all, and I can hit as far as a lot of people larger than myself, so the somewhat stronger ladies are probably closer to my length.

I practice where Brittany L practices when she is home. If you are as long as she is ... God bless you. She's longer than Jack Nicklaus in his prime which says a lot about modern equipment and just how great a player he was.

You'd be amazed at how far she hits the ball when you are next to her and she is not as big as she appears on TV. She's also a so so putter even from my perspective so there's the achillies heal. There are several of the those stronger women that hit it as far as she does. BTW she regularly shoots in the 60s on the course playing from the tips. It's over 7,000 at sea level and was once used for a PGA tour event.

I think we don't realize how far the people who do this for a living hit the ball including the gals.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

And there goes my world of make believe.

It does have a lot to do with age. When I was younger Seve was my hero he was the Phil of my generation. I hit it long but not straight but I could get out of trouble and had a lot of imagination with a fantastic short game so I got away with it. I am a lot straighter now than ever and not much shorter this is due to modern equipment as RP and myself had a discussion on here about one day. I am not as good of a putter as I used to be but I don't practice as much as I did in those days. I used to drive my old man nuts because instead of practicing my driver I practiced trouble shots trick shots so to speak and my wedges and putter. My old man (bless him) was all about greens and fairways would raise holy hell (sorry Rev) at me about practicing trick shots aka stuff like bounce off the outhouse (tin cup) but it was fun for me especially since I drove the old man nuts. Somehow with age and equipment I am a better ball striker but don't score as well. Sometimes I wish for the old days when I was wild as heck. I think I missed my golf calling I should have been a trick shot artist

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I practice where Brittany L practices when she is home. If you are as long as she is ... God bless you. She's longer than Jack Nicklaus in his prime which says a lot about modern equipment and just how great a player he was.

You'd be amazed at how far she hits the ball when you are next to her and she is not as big as she appears on TV. She's also a so so putter even from my perspective so there's the achillies heal. There are several of the those stronger women that hit it as far as she does. BTW she regularly shoots in the 60s on the course playing from the tips. It's over 7,000 at sea level and was once used for a PGA tour event.

I think we don't realize how far the people who do this for a living hit the ball including the gals.

You are correct about the ladies. When they had a LPGA event here at a course called Wacheasau East Meg Mallon shot the course record at 62 from about 7000 yds at sea level and this was some years back and the equipment was not quite as good as now. it was not in the balata/persimmon/blade era though. The record still stands though to this day.It is impressive because several mini events have been played there since with some great players that are on the PGA tour now and the record has not been broken yet. the closest I think in an official event is 64.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Just like you big stu I'm a reformed bomb it, find it and whack it again player. A bad back and the advent of children in my life forced me to change my game. Did the jimmy Ballard thing and haven't looked back. I'm just a bit shorter than I was in my 20s but what was once a bomb is now a bunt. :(

My short game is way better because my mind is better and it's what I have time to practice. Bottom line I was a 3 then and when I have time to play I'm a 3 or even lower now.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Most of us would be wisest to model our games after Paula Craemer. Zach averages 280 off the tee and hits it 300 when need be. The average golfer is around 210 and the average single digit guy around 240.

If you are as long as Zach consistently then by all means go ahead. The rest of us need to watch the LPGA much, much more for course strategy and even there the gals are longer than one might think.

I agree that the LPGA players are closer in distance to many of us but that is no reason to not watch the PGA players. Granted they are much longer, course and game strategy is a totally different facet of the game. We get into trouble because we do not give enough attention to carry as against total, and the places players send their ball as against distance. We also miss out on the importance of controlling back spin and trajectory in shots to the green. I would have added landing areas on the green, but I was recently pleased with some announcers who gave good mention of potential landing areas on the greens in a tournament opening the 2014 season. Finally, announcers that do their homework !

Distance is a big part of Golf, but there are many facets unmentioned. Hopefully the coming year will show more of Golf rather than the mindless sycophantic drivel.

Shambles

Oh I'm certainly not suggesting that there isn't plenty to be learned from watching the PGA guys. Trust me there.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

i do think the one of if not the biggest issue with us vs. them is course management, which would include shot selection, they take into consideration everything that could affect the result of the hole, where they put the tee shot, where they want to land the ball, on a par 5, do they go, or lay up and if layup the question is where do i want this ball to be, we try to do those things, but we always do something that is stupid. not everyone, just most of us.

I am in agreement that it is all course management. I'm not that long but I feel I have a pretty good short game. I feel I can hit a 30-60 yard shot as close or closer than from 100. Because of this I hit a lot of 3 woods from 275 even though I know I can't get there. I feel better from the rough around the green also than a layup. I always try to get as close as possible as long as it doesn't bring trouble (OB, water, etc.) into play. I play with some other low handicaps who prefer a full shot so from 280 they lay up to 100. Good players seem to have one thing in common. They all play to their strengths and they stay away from trouble.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

I am in agreement that it is all course management. I'm not that long but I feel I have a pretty good short game. I feel I can hit a 30-60 yard shot as close or closer than from 100. Because of this I hit a lot of 3 woods from 275 even though I know I can't get there. I feel better from the rough around the green also than a layup. I always try to get as close as possible as long as it doesn't bring trouble (OB, water, etc.) into play. I play with some other low handicaps who prefer a full shot so from 280 they lay up to 100. Good players seem to have one thing in common. They all play to their strengths and they stay away from trouble.

Absolutely. I'm a play to 100 guy or to be more accurate between 105 and 112. Put that grip down wedge in my hands and I'm a happy guy.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Any single digit player hits most shots well. Course management is paramount. Our distance is probably similar to the stronger girls.

Accuracy is the difference. We aim at the green and get it close sometimes. They get it close a lot. They make a lot more putts, saves, sandies etc.

I think all pros have a solid gameplan that suits their game. All pros play the smart shot 98% of the time.

Like Arnold says, " play YOUR game"

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

I want to be clear that I'm not close to as long as the strong girls and neither is the average single digit player. I've seen one of those strong girls hit enough balls to know better. I play golf with lots and lots of people of varying abilities including some who've done it for a living. Only a handful of guys that I've played with hit it as far as Brittany Linsicome.

Given the numbers and my observation there are only a handful, a very small handful of people on these forums who hit it as far as she does. There are some for sure but not many. You are only fooling yourself and hurting your game if you think you are one when you're not.

Think normal length girls and even there we may be over estimating our distances.

There's my soap box for the year.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I honestly don't know the girls distances.

What's an average drive for the girls?

Cut and paste from first we page I checked...

For LPGA Tour golfers (please note these are averages):

All clubs are on average struck with a descending blow other than the driver which is 3.0 degrees upward.

Every club in the bag hits the ball the same height – 25 yards.

The average clubhead speed with the driver is 94 mph; ball speed is 139 mph and carry distance is 220 yards.

The average clubhead speed with an 8-iron is 74 mph; ball speed is 100 mph and carry distance is 130 yards.

Clubhead speed increased by 2 mph from club to club.

In conditions that eliminated any roll, an average LPGA Tour player would hit a driver and a 5-wood 405 yards; a driver and a 7- iron 361 yards; and a driver and a PW 327 yards.

The carry distance difference between each iron is 11 yards (8-iron 130 yards and 7-iron 141 yards).

The only way I match up with any pro distances like Zac's is my driver against his 7 iron. :lol:

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

For PGA Tour golfers (please note that these are averages):

All clubs, on average are struck with a descending blow from a PW (-5.0 degrees) to a driver (-1.3 degrees).

Every club in the bag hits the ball at the same height – 30 yards.

The average clubhead speed with the Driver is 112 mph; ball speed is 165 mph and carry distance is 269 yards.

The average clubhead speed with an 8-iron is 87 mph; ball speed is 115 mph and carry distance is 160 yards.

Clubhead speed increased by 2 mph from club to club.

In conditions that eliminated any roll, an average PGA Tour player would hit a driver and a 5-wood 500 yards; a driver and a 7- iron 441 yards; and a driver and a PW 405 yards.

The Carry distance difference between each iron is 12 yards (8-iron 160 yards and 7-iron 172 yards).

My distances are definitely closer to the girls ^_^

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I think we should not try to model our games after anyone other than our self. Find your strength and weakness and play to them. When I first started playing in tournaments, I found myself trying to match my playing partners shots and it ended up making me shoot horrible scores. When I started just playing my game and attacking the course as I would in a normal round with my friends, I started shooting the best scores of my life.

I think we should not try to model our games after anyone other than our self. Find your strength and weakness and play to them. When I first started playing in tournaments, I found myself trying to match my playing partners shots and it ended up making me shoot horrible scores. When I started just playing my game and attacking the course as I would in a normal round with my friends, I started shooting the best scores of my life.

Swing your swing. Nice post please stick around.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Archived