Tony Covey MGS

MyGolfSpy - TaylorMade LOFT UP+ Experience

That is an absolutely amazing experience guys.  Pictures and videos will be greatly appreciated.  Can't wait to here about everything the guys at TMaG have to say.  

Guys one piece of advice, and I'm being really serious. Sit down for an hour or so before you leave, or on the plane ride out and organize your thoughts and questions. It's so easy to forget that once you get there because your minds will be fast clouded with cool.

What I mean by that is, you'll be overwhelmed with the environment and first time there that you'll forget how to ask those critical questions you do here. You'll also forget to ask the things you've always wondered or wanted to know. Enjoy the experience yes, but really get the most out of it having access to some of the most brilliant guys in golf.

Arrange your thoughts, think about what the guy reading these posts would want to know that does not get to go and be there. And by all means, for the love of hotmelt, don't WRX us. "It's just so cool, everyone is so great, we had dinner and it's just wow ." People pay $5K just for the Kingdom fitting alone. Embrace it, but make the absolute most of getting everything you can out of it.

Investigative Reporter it.

Oh, and the guy that brought us TRUE Linkswear? Rob Rigg. He's now with TM metal woods. Great guy, fan of MGS. Tell him hello.

At least you don't live only an hour away, then you wouldn't have an excuse not to play it.

whiskey you're down here right? Drive down to hotel and visit us possible?

Great advice.  I am dead serious about taking notes.  I started typing up questions to ask last night. And will have my tablet, and probably an extra tablet with me if one of the other guys wants to use it for the trip. 

This is truly a once in a lifetime opportunity, not to be passed up or overlooked. 

The chance to do this is something that T and gang are incredible for even offering up, and I personally am thrilled to get a chance to talk to that staff about the speed pocket, and the concepts behind the SLDR which are almost opposite Of the message we are getting from the industry on the whole.

Even the name, Loft UP+, is a very different message, and while Taylormade has a long history of being able to sell their message, this one is such a departure from the message we have heard for the last several years that I for one an looking forward to getting the scoop from the horses mouth as it were.

For me personally, this is going to be interesting since I currently play a low loft specifically to combat high spin from my negative AOA. 

Zinger, excellent post. Thanks, we'll all do our best to make all of you proud.

For T or Zinger or Keith or anyone else who's been to something like this, what are some of the more intersting questions you've heard asked? I really like Sean's question.

Other things that have come to mind are how they feel the sldr will compare to the big Bertha alpha and are they holding back some adjustability? Or how have they felt their drivers have improved incrementally since the r7 or r9?

How many questions will we reasonably have a chance to ask? I can go all day.

I could say I'm jealous. Could also say that I hate all of you. Could even say that you guys will all be miserable with all the swag you're gonna get.

But I won't, lol. Instead I'll say congrats... And volunteer to do one whenever they need another round of MGSers and hopefully get to go with Richard, Rick, Rev, Colt, Tony, and whomever else they can fit in. Just the first few that popped in my head that I think would be fun to sit back and listen to them talk. Lol.

whiskey you're down here right? Drive down to hotel and visit us possible?

What date will you guys be there? It may be unlikely since it's during the week and I'm usually busy with schoolwork.

Oooh. And why don't they offer what the pros actually play as a custom order option? Tour van stuff is stupidly difficult to get for most people.

Oooh. And why don't they offer what the pros actually play as a custom order option? Tour van stuff is stupidly difficult to get for most people.

I wonder if that's what this new Tour Preferred line is as opposed to just calling it TP. Maybe they're getting away from the tour issue stuff because they are seeing that 1. We want what the pros play and 2. This new technology actually benefits us all

I've got to tell you that I'm pumped for you guys. I particularly like WDs analogy and I'm a preacher. In this case it fits. :)

Did I say thank you yet? Yeah? Well, I will again.

THANK YOU MGS AND TM !!!!!

Most of that traditionally had to do with CG location, and face angle. If too much of that gets into the market place, the average hack has no business playing it.   They'd hit drives that would simply fall out of the sky and go nowhere.  People with then correlate that with the head or brand as being a poor performer.

One question I would want to know relates to "Loft Up"  The SLDR isnt new this year.  It came out last summer.  But suddenly, now it's the year of the loft, and you need to loft up.  Why wasn't this made clear during the launch?  My guess is, they discovered low and forward was specific to a pretty low subset of players that made consistent center contact on the face.  To address low and forward and the decrease in MOI, you have to loft up to make up for the bad strikes on the face.

Probably right about marketing. 25 handicapper picks up a tour club and can't hit it, so it MUST be a bad club. But it would be nice to get my hands on some better clubs. Most of the time I'm good with stuff off the rack, but there are times when I don't need the same equipment as a 25 would want.

Well I understand the loft up thing. One, most guys don't play enough without getting fit. But this is more about low forward cg. That reduces spin from the added gear effect meaning you can use more loft than with other drivers without the spin getting too high. I do know it works. But it is at the sacrifice of MOI. So I would be very curious about the performance on off center strikes. On a center strike, high or low MOI doesn't matter. On less than perfect strikes though, will the lower MOI on SLDR compared to other drivers be noticeable, or is it not enough difference to be an issue?

I wish I had had a better idea of what to expect and be a little prepared for my trip. It sounds like you guys will have that chance. The best part is you guys get to hang out there with some buds. That will make it that much more fun.