TESTERS WANTED! ×

Scotty (vs) Bettinardi...who makes the better putter??

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

We recently held a poll on the MyGolfSpy Blog asking golfers: Scotty (vs) Bettinardi...who makes the better putter? (RESULTS BELOW)

* Scotty (50%, 135 Votes)

* Other (26%, 69 Votes)

* Bettinardi (24%, 66 Votes)

Total Voters: 270

The results were not too shocking to me, but it had me asking myself questions about why the golfers chose either Scotty or Bettinardi. So I thought I would ask you guys those questions.

1. If you think Scotty makes a better putter please tell me specifically why you think this.

2. If you think Bettinardi makes a better putter please tell me specifically why you think this.

3. Whose putters do you think are more innovative?

4. Do you think the Scotty name (branding) influenced your answer if that is who you chose?

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

I think that branding has a huge influence on the choice here. Look at the limited Augusta headcovers from last week. Both sold out, but the Betti one was better looking (IMO) and only $65. Demand for the Cameron one was likely higher because it said Cameron.

Right now, it is just harder for the average golfer to roll a Bettinardi vs. the stock Cameron. One would vote that the one they have rolled as being better than the one they have not.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

Really don;t care too much about the poll results LaMont I want to know WHY they chose them.

Please don't do this. It has been done so many times that it hurts to see that title.

Respectfully,

LaMont in AZ

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

Yes Bettinardi did used to mill Scotty's putters which is what gave him the idea to go out on his own. Although many of Bettinardi's first designs were not that great don't know if you recall.

So just because you can mill something from a CAD file doe not mean you are a better designer.

Hehe....

I'm sure most members here know that RJB used to make Scotty's right?

Kyo

#TruthDigest

Yes Bettinardi did used to mill Scotty's putters which is what gave him the idea to go out on his own. Although many of Bettinardi's first designs were not that great don't know if you recall.

So just because you can mill something from a CAD file doe not mean you are a better designer.

I agree with some of RJB's designs early on being stinkers. I had the misfortune of owning a few. It is funny how when he broke from milling Scotty's works, the designs stayed extremely close to the same, just the names changed. I'm not saying that Scotty is necessarily the better designer, but I'd need to do some digging before I made a guess who, between the two of them, has had more success with their own, unique designs.

I was really just hoping that this wouldn't turn into another, "My putter guy is wayyyyyyyyyyy better than your putter guy." If it stays on an even keel, I look forward to reading the input.

LaMont in AZ

Also, if you look at some of Scotty's early "handmades", you'll notice a remarkable resemblance to some of Tad Moore's TM-4's and TM-2's. This is far more than a cooincidence, but that is for another time and thread.

• SPY VIP

Well the barometer of their success can't really be done in regards to the success our their unique designs...because unfortunately anytime these guys try to step out of their comfort zone and do something unique and more groundbreaking the public immediately pisses on it just because it is not the standard type design they pump out...which like I said is unfortunate. The Futura while might not have looked all that great to some people and the Red X and Kombi I think are some of his best creative works.

I agree with some of RJB's designs early on being stinkers. I had the misfortune of owning a few. It is funny how when he broke from milling Scotty's works, the designs stayed extremely close to the same, just the names changed. I'm not saying that Scotty is necessarily the better designer, but I'd need to do some digging before I made a guess who, between the two of them, has had more success with their own, unique designs.

I was really just hoping that this wouldn't turn into another, "My putter guy is wayyyyyyyyyyy better than your putter guy." If it stays on an even keel, I look forward to reading the input.

LaMont in AZ

Also, if you look at some of Scotty's early "handmades", you'll notice a remarkable resemblance to some of Tad Moore's TM-4's and TM-2's. This is far more than a cooincidence, but that is for another time and thread.

#TruthDigest

Well the barometer of their success can't really be done in regards to the success our their unique designs...because unfortunately anytime these guys try to step out of their comfort zone and do something unique and more groundbreaking the public immediately pisses on it just because it is not the standard type design they pump out...which like I said is unfortunate. The Futura while might not have looked all that great to some people and the Red X and Kombi I think are some of his best creative works.

The Red X is some of his best work, one of my favorite putters by anyone. I almost bought one a few weeks ago used but $200 was a little too high. Actually a lot too high for someone who doesn't need a putter. :unsure:

I actually voted in this poll. I voted Scotty not only because I have one but because I used to roll a Bettinardi about 2 seasons ago and it just didn't seem to work. I didn't hate the putter but I didn't love it either. I love my Scotty mainly due to feel and I love the design on mine. Also I am not a fan of the Betti faces on the putters. They just look strange to me.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

If and when MGS gets a putting robot, it would be interesting to see which gets the ball rolling faster. Tests could be done to compare retail models, tour models, etc.

Are we talking purely design?

IMHO neither of them has designed anything truly breathe taking and a break thru.

My 2 cents though.

Design. Most of their success have been with good-great products with design tweaks. The only innovative things were---Cameron: Futura and Detour (questionable due to the DogLeg Right putter). Bettinardi: The Honeycomb, the Fit face (non insert-soft feel) MR2 variation as well, the Big Ben, and now that very well designed headcover. IMHO Bettinardi has the edge there.

Manufacturing. Putting importance on almost 100% control of the manufacturing over the number produced says a lot to me about the actual quality of the putters eventually produced. Even actually putting "343g" on the retail heads seems to show a certain exactness in manufacturing. There were horror stories of out of spec Camerons for a certain period. Whether that was the subcontractors' or Titleist's fault it is still a fault. I guess edge Bettinardi.

Marketing. No contest. Cameron is a genius. Bettinardi is trying to follow the same line with the buckles and the headcovers but since he doesn't market or price them out there there will not be a big "investor's" market out there for these products. The Cameron items hold there value pretty well if you want to resell. Personally I'm not in to that. I cut every putter to 33.5 no matter what headweight and always put my favorite grip. Cameron has the lopsided edge here.

I used to be a Cameron fan when I started collecting putters. I collect to game, so resell is nothing to me. I just buy the better product/putter. So far IMO it has been Bettinardi.

I actually voted in this poll. I voted Scotty not only because I have one but because I used to roll a Bettinardi about 2 seasons ago and it just didn't seem to work. I didn't hate the putter but I didn't love it either. I love my Scotty mainly due to feel and I love the design on mine. Also I am not a fan of the Betti faces on the putters. They just look strange to me.

Which Bett did you try, similar style to your Cameron?

I have had a few Betts that didn't do it for me as well. I cannot putt with a plumber's neck nor a double bend shaft. I have 6 Anser style putter in my attic that haven't seen a green in a year. 3 Camerons (Tei3 NP, Mid Slant, Mil Spec)and 3 Betts (C01h, C02h, 360TR).

I will say most people who buy that first expensive milled putter will 9xs out of 10 get a Cameron first because it is what TW plays. The key is introducing them to the entire world of finely crafted putters: RJB, David Mills, C&L, Byron, Machine, etc. Most of the guys who buy $250 putters never step outside of that first Cameron purchase of if they do "upgrade" they stay with the Cameron because they already have a positive experience from them. They don't realize there are other finely (most times better) crafted products out there as well. That and the Titleist backing is what keeps Cameron at the top spot.

Which Bett did you try, similar style to your Cameron?

I can't remember the exact model number but I do remember it was a lighter color like a cream looking metal finish and it had a slanted neck kinda like my scotty and it had the hony comb face. It was kinda shaped like the new SC laguna, Ping Zing. I just wasnt crazy about the feel off the club face and I am not a fan of the lighter metal.

I will say though that no matter what the putter I can't stand the basic answer style with a plumber neck and it doesnt matter if it's an Odyssey, SC, Ping or anything else. I personally have not had luck with every Scotty that I rolled either. I hate the Newport with a plumber neck, I don't like the red x and I hate my dads Circa 62 #2. I do understand how there are so many other great brands and I would like to get into collecting to game and I would love to get a Byron.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

My answer to the big question of "who makes the better putter" is: Bettinardi.

Here's why: I've owned a number of Scottys and a few Bettinardis. My first Scotty was a Studio Style which my dad has now. I've also had: some Pro Platinums, a Buttonback, some Circas, Studio Selects, and I've putted with everything else he's made in the last 5 years on golf store greens. The Buttonback was nice, but too soft for me, and the Studio Style was a good putter. Outside of those, I am always under-impressed with the feel of his putters, particularly the Circas (which is heartbreaking because I love the Circa 3's shape). The Bettinardi's the I've used or owned, on the other hand, have always impressed me. The first Bettinardi I ever touched was a DASS BB43 that came into my old shop when someone traded it in. I still remember being awed by the feel of it. Since then, I've tried all his Mizuno offerings, some Hogannardis, and some other DASS putters, and I always find the quality and feel to be excellent. Beyond the issue of feel, I know that Bettinardi has some of the highest standards for quality in the industry whereas Scotty's quality control problems are pretty well documented. So, at the end of the day, due to feel and quality, I think Bettinardi makes a superior product.

In terms of design, I am inclined to go with Scotty. I think he does have a good eye for design - his Del Mar 3.5 is the standard by which all other heel shafted mallets are judged, for me, and I love his Circa 3/Monterey headshape. I don't have much interest in "innovative" putters, and both companies tend to focus on traditional putters (Ping "copies"), so for me it comes down to who has refined/interpreted those shapes better, and I believe that is Scotty.

Since I chose Bettinardi, Scotty's branding/marketing obviously didn't impact me too much, but I will agree that it is a powerful thing. My first expensive putter was a Scotty because I thought at the time that every good player used a Scotty. I know lots of people who still believe that to be the case. Say what you like about him, he is a genius in the field of marketing.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

i'm going to say Cameron is the better designer as i have seen most of the variations of his newport and newport2 models, and they alone would fill a rack if you got 1 of each headshape. :)

Scotty Cameron Tour P330 Fastback (A015066),

Scotty Cameron Tour P330 Squareback,

Scotty Cameron Inspired By Brad Faxon,

More just cant write them all in here :)

I've owned neither but a Bettinardi will certainly be in my future. One of the reasons I like Bettinardi is it is done in house and not outsourced. That and I like the look on the milling.

As far as original designers my vote would go to Tad Moore, TP Mills and Karsten and there are some new guys (new as compared to these three) that are doing very nice designs.

• 1 year later...

i knw this is an old thread but im looking for a new putter so i started looking for putter threads.

Im currently looking to replace my Spider with a Milled putter. I've only heard of Bettinardis ,ping, scotty and yes.

It seems that everyone seems to prefer the brand that they had their first positive experience with. I have never tried an expensive milled putter before until today so i am not sure how it is supposed to feel like. But what i did feel when i tried the Newport 2 at my club today on the practice green was it made me feel that the green was a hell lot slower. Usually with the Spider the ball shoots off the face but with the Scotty it seems to be slower and kinda make putting less challenging for me.

since ive alws used a face balanced putter i duno how much toe hang i shd be getting with the Blade/anser styled putters. according to iPing i have a straight path, 1.sth degree closing stroke. I dont have a place where i can get my putter fitted bt im stuck btween getting a 34 inched newport 2 or 2.7

can anyone offer me any tips on putter fitting ?

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

Are you looking for tips so that you can self-fit? If you're going to go that route, see what the iPing app recommends in terms of toe hang, length, and lie. About a month ago I went through the iPing fitting and came up with some specs that were way off from what I use now so I disregarded them. Since then I have been messing around with my stroke to try to improve and have found that the iPing specs were actually dead on. FWIW, 2 PGA Pros think the new set up/stroke is much more sound. Point: iPing.

As far as going to see someone for a fitting, I think you will find that, much like with other clubs, different people have different fitting techniques/philosophies/processes. Some will focus on the putter that you aim the best, some want your eyes over the ball, some want to fit toe hang to your stroke (like iPing), etc, etc. If you're going to go for a fitting, I would call in advance and ask what the process is like and see if it meshes with what you want/believe in.

If you have any other specific questions, let me know and I'll do my best to share what I know.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Are you looking for tips so that you can self-fit? If you're going to go that route, see what the iPing app recommends in terms of toe hang, length, and lie. About a month ago I went through the iPing fitting and came up with some specs that were way off from what I use now so I disregarded them. Since then I have been messing around with my stroke to try to improve and have found that the iPing specs were actually dead on. FWIW, 2 PGA Pros think the new set up/stroke is much more sound. Point: iPing.

As far as going to see someone for a fitting, I think you will find that, much like with other clubs, different people have different fitting techniques/philosophies/processes. Some will focus on the putter that you aim the best, some want your eyes over the ball, some want to fit toe hang to your stroke (like iPing), etc, etc. If you're going to go for a fitting, I would call in advance and ask what the process is like and see if it meshes with what you want/believe in.

If you have any other specific questions, let me know and I'll do my best to share what I know.

heya matt,

i dun have the extra money to spare to go to a putting studio so i d have to do a fitting in the pro shop. for what's worth i dont think the pros can really help much w my putter fitting. what i do knw is tt i use a 34 inch putter and i have a conventional stance, eye over the ball.

i did iping myself and it recommended the Anser 5, which i think is a close to face balanced blade which seems pretty dead on since i have a 0.sth straight stroke and 1.sth closing stroke.

but i was wondering what model that equates to for scotty, is it the newport 2.7? they have very limited number of scottys tt i cld try i tried the newport 2 today and id say its a good putter bt its nt anythg groundbreaking.

it did seem to make the green feel a lot slower as opposed to putting w my spider. and the weather was dry and sunny today the practice green waas dry

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

• SPY VIP

Check out the Bettinardi BB27 as another option. Sounds like our iPING info is similar and I really like my BB27.

The older Mizuno Bettinardi C-01 also has a long neck and you can find one for about $100 on the bay.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Check out the Bettinardi BB27 as another option. Sounds like our iPING info is similar and I really like my BB27.

The older Mizuno Bettinardi C-01 also has a long neck and you can find one for about $100 on the bay.

Thanks dave ill try them out when i get the chance to go to a big golf shop lk powergolf here in Sydney australia, which is kinda like a Dicks or sth.

DO u knw which Scotty model the Anser 5 is similiar to? I really wanna try the two brands out before i make my purchase. SOrry im wetting my pants a lil here, its my first "serious" milled putter and i want it to be sweet as.

Adams Dhy 18*

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

Archived