dru_

Increasing Loft, Not just a TaylorMade Buzz Item

Doing some lunchtime web surfing while eating, I see an ESPN article (external link) about Lefty being really excited entering this season with a new Big Bertha Alpha driver and how it has lowered his spin and is straighter.  Much of the first few paragraphs read more like a sponsored SEO / Advertising blog post than something written by and ESPN journalist.  Then about the 5th paragraph we get a money quote:

Mickelson said he has been experimenting with more loft on the new driver.

Which is interesting in that the Big Bertha and the SLDR are the two clubs so far this season changing the message about spin, loft and a new CG location.  It is interesting to see Lefty reinforcing the Loft UP message that TaylorMade looks to be preparing to ramp up in full force.

The rest of the article is more of a fluff piece about Lefty's schedule, but the message seems clear.   More loft is coming from more than just TaylorMade.

But reading that article, it really seems like ESPN is selling SEO posts.  The ONLY thing that prevents that from fitting that dynamic is the lack of a link back to the Big Bertha page on the Callaway's website.

It's all about the GC location. It's a direct result of this placement, low and forward that they need more loft to optimize. It's not marketing, it's a necessity.

Yeah but the last several years have been all about the message that 10.5 is approaching high loft.  this is anew message.

Yeah but the last several years have been all about the message that 10.5 is approaching high loft. this is anew message.

No doubt! I'm interested in hearing what the loft up guys have to say next week.

Here's what we have been hearing. Engineers determined 17 degree launch angle with 1700 rpm is ideal for ALL swing speeds. But the problem is, to get to 17 degrees launch, the higher loft creates so much spin,it's not possible with existing heads. So they are moving weight lower and forward to reduce spin, enabling them to increase launch able without increasing spin. We watched a machine hit one of their prototype heads at 98mph, with 17* launch and 1700 rpm. It carried 255, and ran out 15 yards. It was crazy high, and doesn't make sense, but I saw it myself.

I came across this last night - a video by TMaG explaining the science behind Loft Up, pretty cool to get a general knowledge behind the theory. 

and from the other thread, looks like the guys down at The Kingdom right now are really benefiting from the fitting/loft up!!

I don't know how all the engineering works but I will say that yesterday when I did hit a good driver it was 20-25 yards futher than my previous driver.

So I'm sold on the tech.

I don't know how all the engineering works but I will say that yesterday when I did hit a good driver it was 20-25 yards futher than my previous driver.

So I'm sold on the tech.

that's awesome. i haven't been able to hit the SLDR in real life conditions yet, just on an indoor simulator, but it feels great. i'm gonna have to pay a visit to my tmag fitter here in vancouver soon!!

that's awesome. i haven't been able to hit the SLDR in real life conditions yet, just on an indoor simulator, but it feels great. i'm gonna have to pay a visit to my tmag fitter here in vancouver soon!!

Definitely make sure you go to a fitter. The stock shaft isn't for everyone and you could end up robbing yourself of distance and not even know it.

I wonder how many people would actually use a driver that launches 17 degrees. When I was getting fit for my R1, the shots that I thought were going high were only going about 10 degrees so it would take a lot for me to adjust. I can also see launch being affected by wind but maybe the low spin would help resist some of that.

If it was optimised i certainly would.

Due to my swing speed and swing i have always been a high launcher of the ball so I'm no stranger to it anyway, so much so that my current driver is a 7.5* 903 D2.

The main difference would be the type of ball flight and not so much the launch angle, as a shot that came out high but was peircing would beat (not to mention look better in my opinion) another that came out low and ballooned in any condition and would be more apparent as the conditions worsened.

I have a feeling the initial launch angle of the ball wont be as big of an issue than the number on the club and the perception surrounding that.

If it was optimised i certainly would.

Due to my swing speed and swing i have always been a high launcher of the ball so I'm no stranger to it anyway, so much so that my current driver is a 7.5* 903 D2.

The main difference would be the type of ball flight and not so much the launch angle, as a shot that came out high but was peircing would beat (not to mention look better in my opinion) another that came out low and ballooned in any condition and would be more apparent as the conditions worsened.

I have a feeling the initial launch angle of the ball wont be as big of an issue than the number on the club and the perception surrounding that.

I was a high launch low-mid spin driver and I probably spent the most time getting fit. After getting numbers dialed in, I asked to try the SLDR 430, because the smaller head appeals to my eye. My first swing with it was a bomb and my fitter says "you may want to take a look at these numbers", it was a 16° launch angle, with 1900rpm spin, with 297 carry and 318.5 total distance, with a max height of 91', which he said were almost absolute perfect numbers. That was going from a 8° R1 (which I launched lower than my 7.5° Krank) to a 10.5° SLDR.

I wonder how many people would actually use a driver that launches 17 degrees. When I was getting fit for my R1, the shots that I thought were going high were only going about 10 degrees so it would take a lot for me to adjust. I can also see launch being affected by wind but maybe the low spin would help resist some of that.

At the kingdom they purposely built it so you would only be hitting into the wind not with it so numbers didn't get skewed. With the higher launching drives everyone was still having their balls slice through the wind.

You would think it would get tossed around in the wind but when you see it for yourself it's hard to argue that higher launches isn't the way to go. The hardest part which even the pros mentioned was adjusting their window of what they are used to seeing as good launch conditions.

I was a high launch low-mid spin driver and I probably spent the most time getting fit. After getting numbers dialed in, I asked to try the SLDR 430, because the smaller head appeals to my eye. My first swing with it was a bomb and my fitter says "you may want to take a look at these numbers", it was a 16° launch angle, with 1900rpm spin, with 297 carry and 318.5 total distance, with a max height of 91', which he said were almost absolute perfect numbers. That was going from a 8° R1 (which I launched lower than my 7.5° Krank) to a 10.5° SLDR.

Man wish I could experience a fitting similar to what you guys went through, I can only imagine what I would get out of it

So lucky!

Lost in this is the fact that what we see might be deceiving.  Someone else alluded to it - I think it was Salmon (welcome by the way) that you might launch low and then balloon which is not good at all.  But you might not pick up the flight earlier enough and simply think you're launching it too high - they would lead to an entire set of wrong headed adjustments.  Likewise you might launch it high and then flatten out (just what you want).  Since you don't pick the flight up right away you're thinking - oh I launched it too low.

Bottom line is you need the numbers and that other set of trained eyes to really get properly fit.  The problem is finding that other set of trained us for some affordable amount of money or with the proper equipment available to keep experimenting until you get it just right.

I can tell you that I hadn't a clue that I was a high launch player until I saw the numbers to prove it.

Went up in loft to a 10.5 head with a low spin shaft two years ago.

My thing is this: how often have you heard the golf balls just don't SPIN as much as they used to and aren't as workable, etc? What changed this year? Nothing. More loft has been needed for a while for anyone not fighting excessive spin with a ton of swing speed. Trying to market uber-low spin to the masses is going to fill used bins with these drivers. Is that what they want? Well on their way.

@mr_divots,

I don't think the used bin will be filled up, unless people are only paying attention to the spin rates and the loft number imprinted on the driver.  Hit it on the course and watch it bounce and roll down the fairway, and people will be sold on it.  I was.

@mr_divots,

I don't think the used bin will be filled up, unless people are only paying attention to the spin rates and the loft number imprinted on the driver.  Hit it on the course and watch it bounce and roll down the fairway, and people will be sold on it.  I was.

Granted, this was just being out on the course with some people that had SLDR's, but I did give a couple of them some licks with two different shafts and lofts. Honestly, I hit the ball a fair way, so I'd think this would be one that would work for me. The impact sensation I was not pleased with at all. Very harsh to my senses. Flight was low and knuckling and consistently left for me. It kinda surprises me as many people are reporting to like this stick as there are. I definitely hit my G25 better, (not a plug, just my experience) and the guys I was paired with hit it and were raving about it as well. TM is enjoying their #1 spot right now, IMO. I don't think it means this driver is for everyone at all.

Tried 3 new drivers for 2013 with great results from each in the 913D2, G25, and Classic XL Custom, all in 10.5 with varying shafts. SLDR I just can't get past that impact sensation, nor the flight I saw on-course. I don't want to have to work that hard to get into a driver when others work just fine for me.

I have heard good SLDR experiences though, so don't mean to rain on any parades. Just my experience.

There is no perfect club that fits everyone even in an age when the club itself comes with multiple options.