TESTERS WANTED! ×

Increasing Loft, Not just a TaylorMade Buzz Item

dru_

That's what I get for engaging in hyperbole. My bad. Regardless I think it's a great club, the point I'm trying to make is there are other great clubs too. As you can see I'm bagging an SLDR. However not every TMag guy was. I still saw some R1s and I think an R11 s out there.

That sure is true. I've seen a lot of older generation clubs in the tmag bags lately. Would love to be a fly on the wall in the tour van for a day on tuesday and wednesday before a tournament.

There's actually not as much pay for play as there used to be

That is not surprising. There was a time where a lot of money was exchanging hands.

@bestgrips   @puttershoes

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Check out the new site (www.bestgrips.com)!
Use "golfspy" for free shipping on all U.S. orders over $50!

What's in my BG custom club glove staff bag? Click here.

Current ball of choice: 'Stones three three zero.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Color me confused then

I hit a ball on a rope. Very low launch angle, still 200+ carry and a lot of roll.  Sometimes 60-80 yards worth of roll.  Some guys from here who have played golf with me, JBones, MBP, BestGrips think a high launch shaft with a 12-14 degree head would make me a bomber, well, better driver of the ball than I am now. 

I am not sure how most stock shafts are chosen, I am not sure if they chose what fits most golfers or what is cheapest but I do know that since I require a specific shaft, and it is not generally offered off the rack then I am in no way surprised when I do not have good results with a new driver. 

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

Some guys from here who have played golf with me, JBones, MBP, BestGrips think a high launch shaft with a 12-14 degree head would make me a bomber, well, better driver of the ball than I am now. 

I hit your driver once during the TO. Judging by my "expert" calculations, you need to be in the 13* range with the SLDR.

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

I hit your driver once during the TO. Judging by my "expert" calculations, you need to be in the 13* range with the SLDR.

And there you have it, straight from the horse's @$$, mouth.  I meant mouth all the time.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

And there you have it, straight from the horse's @$$, mouth.  I meant mouth all the time.

HA! I have always heard there are more horse's @$$es than horses.

• 4 weeks later...

Fair is fair. I finally got to take a swipe (singular) with a SLDR 12º head yesterday which belonged to the guy I was paired with for my round. The 9.5 and 10.5 felt totally different to me than the 12º. Lighter, crisp yet nice face flex at impact this time. NOW I can see how people say it feels good. I doubt it was anywhere optimal for me (all I know it was the stock regular flex) but the launch height was good and it went dead straight. I just wanted to see if there was any hope for this club in 12º and if I could get adequate launch with it and it passed and the feel was good enough I'd now want to explore it further. Very surprised just how much the impact feel improved with the added loft. Have never had 1.5º of anything make that much difference in a club. That was really my biggest concern with the SLDR was the impact feel of the 9.5 and 10.5. Night and day with the 12º.

Have some XTD Forged and Pro hybrids on the way, and will probably add one of these to round out my "slotted" Ernie Els-inspired 2014 bag.

Guy I was playing with hit it well on some, and needed a little more help on others. He nabbed it off Ebay and hadn't moved any of the settings. I think the 14º would have fit him very well. Little low with the 12º for him.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

It is amazing how how you have to go Mr. divots. Mine flies so high and then......it hits, bounces and rolls out.

Tell your friend to go up and move two clicks towards fade with every up click he makes, as a start. I'm actually hitting my driver in the 250 range. That is where I was at when I moved here 8 years ago. I've crossed over the 50 and 55 boundaries since that time.

Btw I hit a friends hot x extreme and was right out with my SLDR with it. Clearly drivers have made a huge jump in technology. The issue I would have with the Callaway long term is the shaft is too long for my taste.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hit one 325 on #18 on Friday with the Bio Cell+. Not exactly expecting any yardage increases with SLDR. But it did feel sooo much better in the 12º. I often think the golf balls and their advances are overshadowed by driver talk.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

Hit one 325 on #18 on Friday with the Bio Cell+. Not exactly expecting any yardage increases with SLDR. But it did feel sooo much better in the 12º. I often think the golf balls and their advances are overshadowed by driver talk.

See the thread on biggest technological advances. I agree with you.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Archived