Sign in to follow this  
Hula Rock

Speed Review - Best Grips Major Leaguer putter grip

Hula.jpg

The Count is now three.  Three products from the guys over at Best grips.  My first purchase was a custom fairway shoe which to this day still gets oooooooo's and ahhhhh's on the golf course.  With the fairway shoe, to my surprise, “Zack” throws in a Gridiron grip.  The gridiron will probably get installed this spring, I am waiting on a new wedge that I ordered to put it on.  The third, a custom laser engraved Major Leaguer D putter grip which was won on the “Forum Member – Product Reviews”.

I was super stoked that I won, which was short lived when I realized that I would have to replace my beloved Pistolero grip on my SC Monterey.  After contemplating a couple days I decided to go for it:

Installation:

Without a doubt, I was going to save my SC Pistolero grip just in case I did not like the Major Leaguer.    The Install was fairly simple.  I usually reuse the tape but for this installation the tape was replaced with 2 inch masking tape.  The grip slid on fairly well.  I had to shoot a couple shots of air for the last couple of inches otherwise I ran into no problems. 

Install time including the removal of old tape:  4 Minutes

Injecting the fatal dose into the Pistolero

2.jpg

All Clean

3.jpg

Done

4.jpg

Looks

twitter.jpg

This putter went from a perfect 10 in looks to a 15!  The construction is flawless,   I absolutely love the contrast of the stitching on the leather.  The premium leather looks like what the name says “Major Leaguer”.  It presents itself as if Best grips took a baseball mitt, threw it in their magical grip making machine, and out came a golf grip.  The laser engraving is NUTZ!  Very sharp and clean lines.  The pictures serve no justice on how precise the lines are.  You have to see it in person!!!!!

On a side note:

The design/ordering process is first class.  You throw some ideas at best grips, and you come away with an amazing PERSONALIZED product in the end.  Your product is not put into production until YOU are happy with the final design that Best Grips emails you.

Performance

This is where I “thought” that I would have a major issue.  Let me start off by stating that I am a “FEEL” player.  I love to feel the club head at the top of my golf swing, and with putting, I love to feel the golf ball at impact in my putting stroke.   I do not know if it's the leather, construction, or magical fairy dust they use in the manufacturing, but the feel actually improved 10 fold.

Conclusion

YourAvatar (1).jpeg

Nice review Hula! I have my major leaguer D design in draft form, it's definitely different but I have taken some inspiration from yours - hope you don't mind...

Nice write up. I ordered one myself. I should have tho't to add some engraving. No idea why I didn't think to. Took it out once so far and actually putted better than normal which is saying something, because I hadn't been out since early November. Now every club in my bag has Bestgrips connecting my hands to them. That's saying something again because I have hundreds of new rubber gripps in the garage. Sold several sets on eBay and bought Bestgrips for myself.

Nice review Hula! I have my major leaguer D design in draft form, it's definitely different but I have taken some inspiration from yours - hope you don't mind...

Cant wait to see it Brad !!!!!!  Going to PM you in a couple of minutes.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Daily Deals

• Sponsors

• Our Sponsors

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Randy Lear

• By Golfspy_CG2
      Follow along as four members of our forum will be putting the Tommy Armour TA3 Impact Putter to the test on the course and putting green.  This is a My Golf Spy Most Wanted winner, so see if it performs as well for them as it did the Most Wanted testers and how it might work for your game.

The Four Testers Are:
      @tchat07                           Stage 1                         Stage 2
      @skrupa15                         Stage 1                         Stage 2
      @Txmason123                   Stage 1                          Stage 2
      @HeathS16                         Stage 1                         Stage 2
      @jayjay0808                         Stage 1           Stage 2
    • By Golfspy_CG2
      Follow our four  testers of the Odyssey Stroke Lab  as they bring you all the details of the hottest putter technology out there right now.  Will it perform for them, how does it help their putting?   They will leave no stone un-turned or ball un-hit in the effort to bring you a in depth and fully unbiased review of the putter. 
      They will start with their Stage Ones which give you a good look at the putter, and tell you about their games.   While they are putting the Stroke-lab in play over the next month to six weeks, they will update this thread with their thoughts and be available to answer any questions the community may have.  So fire away with anything you want to know about these innovative putters. 

Our Four Testers:
      @MaxEntropy                                  Stage 1        Stage 2        
      @Berg Ryman                                   Stage 1       Stage 2
      @juspoole                                         Stage 1       Stage 2
      @Apolloshowl                                   stage 1        Stage 2
    • By Green Sheep Productions
      Been having fun playing around with a design your own putter applet at Lajosi Golf Australia. 
      As a result, been trying to fine a summary of each face mill type... What does deeper milling mean, the concentric waves vs straight mill etc. 

Any guides out there? 
    • By ChasingScratch
      Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4 – Review
      A little background
      Let’s just start with this:  I am not a stellar putter.  I’m not even an average putter.  I’ve been known to be the ‘take a 6 footer for birdie and turn it into a 7 footer for par’ kind of putter.  I’d like to think part of it is due to the wide variation in greens I get to play on (anything from Plinko on the Price is Right to lightning fast U.S. Open greens), but the reality is I just haven’t been that good.  I’m a dad with limited income to spend on golf and little practice time.
      I started this journey to become a Scratch golfer about two years ago.  Since then, I won a free full bag fitting through Club Champion and had a blast doing it.  My favorite part of the whole experience was the SAM PuttLab fitting.  According to the PuttLab, I’m a consistent slight puller of the putter.  My wonderful human of a fitter recommended mallet style with some toe hang.  He laid out a bunch of putters that fit this mold and I immediately started arching the putter rather than pulling it.  I had never really seen that arch path before and I thought I was going to push every putt 3 feet right of the hole.  Needless to say, I made 25 straight 8 foot putts before we re-tested with my favorite putter of the bunch (the Ping Sigma 2 Tyne 4, which also happened to be the cheapest, go figure).
      The thing that was instantly attractive about this putter was the fact that it could be adjusted for length.  I’m 5’8”, take an athletic posture with my putter, and have long arms.  Long story short, I need a short putter, but everything you can buy off the rack comes between 33-35” (or so it seems).  We cranked it down to 32.5” and bent the loft to 1 degree.  Oh……….my…………GAWD!!!  I’m in love, I’m in love, and I don’t care who knows it!!!
      Eye Candy (aka Looks)
      First off the looks.  This think is a beauty! 

I love the tynes off the back, makes me think of a fighter jet’s wings.  Who doesn’t love fighter jets?!?  As an added bonus, they are very useful when picking the ball up after you just lagged that 40 footer to inside of 1 foot! 

Grip
      The stock pistol grip is phenomenal as well.  It really helps me to get my thumbs on top of the grip and parallel to each other. 

Insert:
      People seem to either love or hate insert putters.  I get it, there is soft and then there is too soft.  Not many people want to feel like they are hitting the golf ball with a marshmallow attached to a shaft.  The dual insert on the Ping Sigma 2 putter line is perfect for me.  Soft enough to feel good at impact, but not soft enough to make you question if you hit it hard enough.

Overall:
      I absolutely enjoy putting practice now!  Get this, you ready for it?  I’ve taken nothing but my putter to the golf course and spent over 1hr putting with my kids!?!  Crazy right? Who does that???  Not a single driver, iron, or wedge hit.  Pure putting. That’s how much I love this putter and how much confidence it gives me.
      I’ve only had two rounds with it, but I’ve had 30 and 31 putts with it so far.  Both of those rounds had at least 3 putts that either lipped out or stopped within 1” of the hole.  Only one 3-putt (and that was on a 60 foot putt, all of my playing partners 3-putted that horrible green lol).  From 5-8 feet, I feel like it is going in all the time.
      Had I the foresight to know that I would be joining MGS, I would have taken stats with my previous putters (yeah, I’m the guy who had like 7 putters all on the bench ready to get in the game whenever the starter started 3-putting) and run an ANOVA on putting metrics to see if this new putter is significantly better or if it is all in my head.  I have since sold those putters and am on the road to a single putter relationship.  You have to give this putter a try if you like the looks of a mallet style fang putter.  It also scored well this year and the previous model as well last year in the MSG putter tests.
      Give this thing a look!!!!  I think I’m going to go roll some putts on my carpet!!!
  • Recent Topics

• Latest from the Blog

• Happy Birthday Today!