Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

14 Clubs?

RoverRick

I was just watching The Golf Fix and they had a Myrtle Beach commercial and shows this guy polishing a pristine set of Hogan Apex.  This is what initially caught my attention because IMHO Hogan had some of the best looking clubs ever.  But I noticed in addition to the Hogans he had some old Cobras in the bag.  Then I counted, and there were at least 16 clubs visible in the bag and did not even see the putter.

This got me to thinking.  Forever, I did not care how many clubs were in my bag.  As a matter of fact it does not bother me if I play with somebody that has a whole bag full of clubs.  During practice rounds I sometimes carry extra clubs to try out and even carry two bags with a complete set if I am trying them out, but now it bothers me if I have more than 14 clubs in my bag during a competitive round.  I do not care how many someone else has, it just makes me self conscious.

How about you?  Do you care?

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Absolutely!

The game was designed to be played with no more than 14 clubs.....so 14 clubs it is!

How would Baseball be with an extra base, say  between 2nd and 3rd?  We'll call it Short 3rd today then next week we'll put in between 1st and 2nd.....LOL

14 clubs it is.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I only play for fun so I do not count. The downside to that is the bag gets very heavy some days! I also usually carry 25 or 30 balls, just in case. :)

I think if you are playing in a competition you should follow the 14 club rule. No matter the level at which you are competing.

i have to agree with RR, i always try to remember to pull the extra club out of my bag before i leave the parking lot, i have found my 3 i in the bag mid-round, and have stopped at the turn and put in the car. i just bugged me that i had 15 in the bag, even when it was just a round with some friends, as far as other people, in competitive rounds of golf, you should adhere to the rules of golf, and part of those rules is 14 clubs, there are penalties in those types of rounds if you carry more.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Absolutely!

The game was designed to be played with no more than 14 clubs.....so 14 clubs it is!

How would Baseball be with an extra base, say  between 2nd and 3rd?  We'll call it Short 3rd today then next week we'll put in between 1st and 2nd.....LOL

14 clubs it is.

Actually, there was no rule about the number of clubs when the game was "designed" but then again there were only a few different clubs.  But I understand your meaning.

I've always carried 14. I used to switch a hybrid and a wood in and out depending on the course, but now I don't even have more than 14 in regular rotation

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

I don't carry but 13 any more as a rule. But I don't exceed 14 at any time. However If I am playing a practice round by myself I may carry an extra bag with several clubs like RR does and I have been known to take 2 bags to the range from time to time

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I almost always carry 14 and 14 only except where something unusual occurs like a friend getting upset and throwing his club in my bag (happened this weekend - he flew home and I still have his club.)

It's the rule so I play by the rules and expect others to do the same.  I don't go counting clubs in other people's bags, nor do I check grooves or anything like that - I just expect people to police themselves.

If the rule changes I'll change the number of clubs that I carry to reflect the change.  Personally I'd be fine with 13 or maybe even 12 but I carry 14 because I'm allowed them.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I almost always carry 14 and 14 only except where something unusual occurs like a friend getting upset and throwing his club in my bag (happened this weekend - he flew home and I still have his club.)

It's the rule so I play by the rules and expect others to do the same. I don't go counting clubs in other people's bags, nor do I check grooves or anything like that - I just expect people to police themselves.

If the rule changes I'll change the number of clubs that I carry to reflect the change. Personally I'd be fine with 13 or maybe even 12 but I carry 14 because I'm allowed them.

Exactly.

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

It's the rule so I play by the rules and expect others to do the same.  I don't go counting clubs in other people's bags, nor do I check grooves or anything like that - I just expect people to police themselves.

If the rule changes I'll change the number of clubs that I carry to reflect the change.  Personally I'd be fine with 13 or maybe even 12 but I carry 14 because I'm allowed them.

My sentiments exactly. the reason that I am only carrying 13 for now is that switching to a hybrid I don't need the 5 iron no more and if I carry it I will get stupid and macho and try to hit it like I used to when I was younger so I leave it out to eliminate my stupid macho mistake

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I will occasionally carry extra for experimentation in a casual round.  If it is a competitive round against my friends,  I make sure it's only 14. Sometimes I like to carry an extra wedge or hybrid on a course to see which would be more useful for that particular course.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Likewise, in competition I carry 14 and these days more in casual and practice. Truth to tell, however, I doubt all that many people actually need a full bag. Almost anybody better than a brand new guy is capable of both shrinking and stretching a club. It's not the most comfortable swing, but there is also satisfaction in the successful execution and failure is more often forgiven more quickly. 

Shambles

Likewise, in competition I carry 14 and these days more in casual and practice. Truth to tell, however, I doubt all that many people actually need a full bag. Almost anybody better than a brand new guy is capable of both shrinking and stretching a club. It's not the most comfortable swing, but there is also satisfaction in the successful execution and failure is more often forgiven more quickly. 

Shambles

Totally agreed and it would speed up play. If you had 155 and you hit your 9 135 and you 7 160 you're hitting 7 every time. If you flush it you're on the back of the green and miss it you're on the front. Regardless you're putting or close to it. Same 155 with a full set and there's a reasonable chance you pull 8 and miss hit it into the front bunker. :)

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Let's say I am trying out new irons.  I will carry 1 or 2 of the new irons along with my other clubs.  I may have 15 or 16 clubs in my bag.  I'm not posting the score for handicap so I really don't care. 

Most times, I will only have 14 clubs in my bag and those rounds count for handicap. 

I really don't care what other people do especially if they are going to play in tournaments.  If they get used to playing with more than 14 clubs then they will be a disadvantage when they have to play with only 14 during tournaments. 

Check out www.littlejohngolfleague.com a Greater Houston Traveling Golf League

• 2 weeks later...

Lately I have been carrying an extra driver. It does bother me to have 15 in the bag but I don't post a handicap and am sucking real bad as of late, so experimentation is needed.

Taylormade R5 Dual TP 9.5* Aldila Voodoo SVS7

Taylormade V Steel 15* Accra M4 Dymatch 

Titleist 909H 17* Aldila Voodoo

Taylormade V Steel 18* S300

Wilson DXI 25* Aldila Voodoo SVS8

Taylormade 2003 Rac CB 5-PW S300

Cleveland Tour Issue 588 54* Tour Zip Grooves PX 6.5 Flighted

Fourteen MT 28 V5 TS 62* DG 

C&L 355g Beached 34"

Lately I have been carrying an extra driver. It does bother me to have 15 in the bag but I don't post a handicap and am sucking real bad as of late, so experimentation is needed.

Nothing wrong with carrying extra clubs when you are working on your game or trying them out in my opinion.

Totally agreed and it would speed up play. If you had 155 and you hit your 9 135 and you 7 160 you're hitting 7 every time. If you flush it you're on the back of the green and miss it you're on the front. Regardless you're putting or close to it. Same 155 with a full set and there's a reasonable chance you pull 8 and miss hit it into the front bunker. :)

Disagree it will speed up the game.  If you are 155 and hit you 7 iron 160 you better be hitting you 7 iron every time.  However, what happens when you are 145?  That is why you have an 8 iron.

It is not that difficult a math problem to decide what club you should use.  Certainly, it takes less time to pick the right club than it does to hit a shot with the wrong club and then hit then chip or pitch to get it the right distance.

Ok, I would agree that high cappers would be better served and speed up their play if they were to loose some of the clubs in their bags.  I am thinking driver and use only 3 wood off the tee, and never hit a 3 wood off the deck.  Maybe just one hybrid, but still have 6-pw and two more wedges.  Never play a flop shot etc. but the 100-160 they should have a compliment of irons to get the distance right.

However, slow play is not something I encounter the way most of you do.

Typical rounds for me on weekends are about 3:20.  We played 45 holes Friday in 7 hours and had lunch.

Last Sunday I played for the first time on a weekend since returning to the game in April. It took 4:30 which felt like an eternity since I have only seen 1 4 hour round thus far. I am a high capper and am starting to see some logic in possibly trying a round with fewer clubs. My biggest problem is I so wish I had some confidence in a 3 or 5 wood off the tee. My 3 wood is about to get tossed in the garage with the other fairway woods I have no confidence in.

Taylormade R5 Dual TP 9.5* Aldila Voodoo SVS7

Taylormade V Steel 15* Accra M4 Dymatch 

Titleist 909H 17* Aldila Voodoo

Taylormade V Steel 18* S300

Wilson DXI 25* Aldila Voodoo SVS8

Taylormade 2003 Rac CB 5-PW S300

Cleveland Tour Issue 588 54* Tour Zip Grooves PX 6.5 Flighted

Fourteen MT 28 V5 TS 62* DG 

C&L 355g Beached 34"

LOL :) wish I could still hit a 9 iron 135

G

Archived