Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Perscription Golf Glasses

Salmon

Not sure if this is the correct place to put this but here it goes.

I just wanted to start a topic about perscription golf glasses now that there are few establised companies producing golf specific lenses out there.

The main question is what do people think is the best brands to go for in terms of quality and price point?

From the limited research that I have done I've come across several companies that do a variety of styles but most have limited options in terms of perscription lenses (and I don't mean those horrid inserts).

Oakley

Are be far the most established and well known in my opinion and they have quite a range of offerings to select from with a golf specific lense. Also tend to be the most expensive, atleast in Aus :S

Bolle

Is another that I have found that have a specific lense to choose from with a number of styles

Adidas

This one was a surprise for me as I did not expect the company would branch out into this area but have a nice selection

Numa

Is a label that I have only just learnt about but seem to have a good price point for there option but I am not sure about there quality

Optic Nerve

Similar to Numa is another that I ahve only just found do perscription glasses and seem to be on the cheap end of the scale

I realise there are a lot of others out there that I either have not heard of or don't know enough about which is why I choose to create this tipic.

Let me know your opinion on golf specific perscription sunnies and if you have any recomendations for an aussie stuck in an overpriced industry!

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

I have used Wiley-X prescription sunglasses for over three years. I have curved brown lenses that allow me to see the putt even though I have Progressive lenses.  They also keep the bright sun from entering my eye from the side.

I keep them in my golf bag and panic if I start to play without them.

BTW, they are also used by U.S. Armed services special forces....

Here's their website:

http://www.wileyx.com/index.aspx

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

After too many years fighting glasses, I switched to contacts last season and use standard sunglasses.  Why?  well, cost factored into it (I can buy a years worth of daily wear disposable contacts for the cost of a single pair of "cheap" prescription sunglasses, not golf specific), but that really wasn't what drove it. One factor drove my choice. There are definite limits to how strong a correction they can make into a prescription 'sport' sunglass. One of my eyes exceeds that limit. I could have a traditional frame with prescription lenses or not at all.  The only vendor that can do a lens that works for my (+4.5 contact lens) was RayBan and it is not golf specific.  

At first I was wary of the contacts, but after about 6-7 rounds, I found I preferred them, and it gives me the ability to remove the sunglasses when the lighting warrants it, without giving up the correction.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Well WD, Looking the part is half the battle....LOL

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

I'm sort of in the same boat as dru. Most people's eyes would melt if they put on my glasses. I just wear prescription polarized lenses when I'm golfing and am fine with it. Not overly sporty, but I hate contact lenses. Plus I look smarter this way :D

I don't have that problem, I couldn't look the part of smart if my life depended upon it.  Put a drink in my hand, and it only gets worse.  HighFade has the pictures to prove it :-)

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I have thought about contacts but my eyes I don't produce enough moisture as it is and I have been warned about getting them from my optomitrist because of that and that I have a slight astigmatism in my left eye.

I might try having a look at those wiley x's and see how they compare. A pair of oakley fast jackets with precription golf lenses would cost me about 1k here in Aus which is just a rip if you ask me. The frames along are about double the price compared to the states :(

Thankfully my correction is only about -1 to -1.5 so I have a pretty good selection of frames with RX inserts.

Im also having a look into the Greg Norman brand sunglasses, currently waiting on an email response from them to see if they stock golf lenses and how much.

Have also thought about getting lazer as well, but kind of hard to go back from that like it is a pair of glasses lol

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

I have worn contacts for years. I cannot even play with glasses. I also do not like to wear sunglasses. I think they look cool I just can't play in them. Does anyone else think the parallax effect makes the ball look smaller when wearing glasses. It does to me which makes my brain think the ball is farther away and then I hit everything fat. I just want to get LASIK so I never have to worry about any of it ever again.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

I can't wear contacts, and I can't have laser, so it's glasses for me. I have serious issues dealing with strongly curved prescription lenses, so it's either regular frames or prescription inserts. On the course I greatly prefer regular frames. I have both a pair with Transitions lenses and a much darker conventional pair. On my bike I have a pair of Rudy Project glasses with an insert. The inserts available today are immensely better than a few years ago.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

When I used to Race bicycles (1989-2000), I wore Bolle, where I could change the color of the lense to match the conditions and had an insert behind them with my prescription.  They were heavy, but worked.

Archived