TESTERS WANTED! ×

13 Club Contract: Who Would You Choose?

GolfSpy Dave

I have given this quite a bit of thought and even went and looked through the current offering of the main OEM's.  I must say that this years offering, across the board, are awesome looking.  Perhaps the best in years.  Callaway with the Big Bertha and Apex, Taylor made with the SLDR and Tour Preferred, Ping with the S55's, etc.  All excellent choices.

I was most excited about the SLDR and the Big Bertha Alpha, but the few I have hit with the stock shaft offering really did not do much for me, and then I installed a Miyazaki C Kua 39 S in my old Titleist 910D3.  WOW!  No where near the same club and based on that I will not make my choice because of a club that I will be using 8-10 times (max 14) per round.

So while I could be very happy with TMag or Callaway or Ping or even the last years Titleist stuff, but I think I would prefer to have my 2014 bag Mizuno.  While I have never hit one on the actual course, their drivers, fairways, and hybrids get great reviews over on the blog side.  The biggest deal anyway is the shaft and as long as I can pick my own shaft then the heads ALMOST don't matter. 

I loved the Mizzy Fli His but do not offer much variation when you do not have your best swing so....

Driver = JPX825 10.5  on Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Fairway = JPX825 15 on Miyazaki Kusala 72S

Hybrid = JPX825 19 on Miyazaki C Kua 59S Hybrid

Irons = MP64 4 & 5 on KBS C Taper Lites

Irons = MP4 6 - PW on  KBS C Taper Lites

Wedges = MP-T4 52-56-60 C Taper on the 52 and KBS Hi Rev Wedge on others.

I played today in the rain for the first time since I got my new grips so I would also point out that BEST GRIPS will be on all my clubs.

:ping-small:G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small:G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small:P790 Black 4-A 
on :kbs: TGI 80S

:mizuno-small: ES21 54-8° & 58-12° on :kbs: Hi Rev

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Driver, 3w, 3H are JumboMax JMX UltraLite XS 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably no surprise I would go with COBRA.  While I haven't had one on one exposure with other companies like I did with Cobra, I really like the over-all picture of the brand, company and especially the people I got to meet.

I have never had better results than I have with my AMP Cell Pro driver.  I finally found a hybrid I like in the AMP Cell.  I really, really like the AMP Cell Pro irons they gave me and am having good results with them although I have only been on the course a few times due to winter.

As much as I like the AMP Cell Pro driver and hybrid, the Bio Cell+ sounds like an improvement but I haven't laid hands on one to swing it.  I don't think I would go with the Bio Cell irons.  I love the looks and feel of the AMP Cell Pros, but if I could pick anything, I would probably choose the AMP Forged.  They offer a bit more forgiveness and I still like the looks enough.  

So it would probably be:

Driver: Bio Cell+ Red (But lose the white surround on the crown and make it charcoal.  Much better look.) Diamana D+62 Stiff

Hybrid 2/3: Bio Cell+ Red with either a Diamana or KK Silver or similar profile

Hybrid 3/4: Same but probably rotate with a 3i

Irons: 3-GW AMP Forged with C Taper S+

Wedges: Tour Trusty 54°.12° C Taper S, 61°.06° KBS Tour S

Every cobra driver I've ever hit launched too high with too much spin. For me that is.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Every cobra driver I've ever hit launched too high with too much spin. For me that is.

I totally believe that. The regular AMP Cell is very high launching. They build it deliberately to a higher than stated loft and the stock Fuel shaft is softer than stated. Even set to 8.5° and teed low I hit it high.

The AMP Cell Pro is a different story though. They're built true to the stated loft, within their tolerance anyway. The Diamana D+ shaft I have in it is a great match for me.

But yea, if you just grab their standard driver off the rack, it will be high launching.

I would have to go Taylormade after meeting all the guys in Carlsbad it would be hard not to. Great guys who truly believe in there product.

Driver: SLDR (current)

3 wood: R11 (current)

Hybrid: SLDR

4-PW: Tour Preferred MC (current)

wedges: Tour preferred

Putter :Spider blade.

Ball: tour preferred.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

I would have to go Taylormade after meeting all the guys in Carlsbad it would be hard not to. Great guys who truly believe in there product.

Driver: SLDR (current)

3 wood: R11 (current)

Hybrid: SLDR

4-PW: Tour Preferred MC (current)

wedges: Tour preferred

Putter :Spider blade.

Ball: tour preferred.

We still need pictures of the new irons

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

We still need pictures of the new irons

For sure ill put some up tomorrow.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

This really is a tough one.  One head says to pick off the wedges and irons, the other head says to pick off the long sticks.  Also having had the opportunity to demo just about every club in TM's arsenal may have given them an unfair advantage since I haven't hit any of the other 2014 offerings yet.  So TMaG it is for me.

Driver: SLDR 430

Fairway: SLDR 3w

Hybrid: SLDR or Jetspeed, would need to spend a little more time to pick which

Irons: Speedblade 4-gw

Wedges: New Tour Preferred

Putter: New Spider Si

Ball: Tour Preferred X, Lethal, TP5 or Penta. 

I guess we can see which head wins when I play golf :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I can count on less on less than 3-4 fingers when I've gone "WTF?" over something that you posted, and granted, I didn't look at nor have the option of a custom grind, though their latest offering was nothing special, though that's just my opinion, lol.

Regarding my 13, I'd have to go with MIzzy, for obvius reasons, irons & wedges, and possibly even putter if I could get my hands on one of their Euro/Japanese offerings.

I've never been a big fan of their drivers or FMs, though I could adapt and play em.

They have solid, if not "wow" hybrids, though I could go with the MP-H4s in place of.

Yep, Mizzy

Have a great week end All :)

Fairways & Greens My Friends

:mizuno-small:

+1

Mizuno

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

This really is a tough one. One head says to pick off the wedges and irons, the other head says to pick off the long sticks. Also having had the opportunity to demo just about every club in TM's arsenal may have given them an unfair advantage since I haven't hit any of the other 2014 offerings yet. So TMaG it is for me.

Driver: SLDR 430

Fairway: SLDR 3w

Hybrid: SLDR or Jetspeed, would need to spend a little more time to pick which

Irons: Speedblade 4-gw

Wedges: New Tour Preferred

Putter: New Spider Si

Ball: Tour Preferred X, Lethal, TP5 or Penta.

I guess we can see which head wins when I play golf :)

Interesting you pick SpeedBlades over all the new TP product. How come, I'm interested in the comparison between those and CB's.

Posted Image

Interesting you pick SpeedBlades over all the new TP product. How come, I'm interested in the comparison between those and CB's.

Honestly I wasn't as crazy as the other guys over the new irons.  That might have to do with them not having my specific iron shaft of choice available as a demo shaft, also might have to do with not swinging a club for 3 months before going, or having a massive blister after getting done with the driver fitting.  But the end result is that the new TP lineup didn't stand out to me compared to the Cobra Amp Cells or Adams CMB's that I already have.  So I figure why not go with the most forgiving iron I can get from their lineup?

The CB's are basically Speedblade Tours.  Similar feel in my opinion, but the Speedblades are more forgiving.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Honestly I wasn't as crazy as the other guys over the new irons. That might have to do with them not having my specific iron shaft of choice available as a demo shaft, also might have to do with not swinging a club for 3 months before going, or having a massive blister after getting done with the driver fitting. But the end result is that the new TP lineup didn't stand out to me compared to the Cobra Amp Cells or Adams CMB's that I already have. So I figure why not go with the most forgiving iron I can get from their lineup?

The CB's are basically Speedblade Tours. Similar feel in my opinion, but the Speedblades are more forgiving.

Good info, I appreciate the feedback on these.
Posted Image

This is tough for me to say since I have had a lengthy affair with the old school Taylormade drivers and irons. A 13 club contract would get me into trouble with them as I have never been a fan of their wedges. So based on that I would likely have to go either Callaway or Cobra.

Taylormade R5 Dual TP 9.5* Aldila Voodoo SVS7

Taylormade V Steel 15* Accra M4 Dymatch 

Titleist 909H 17* Aldila Voodoo

Taylormade V Steel 18* S300

Wilson DXI 25* Aldila Voodoo SVS8

Taylormade 2003 Rac CB 5-PW S300

Cleveland Tour Issue 588 54* Tour Zip Grooves PX 6.5 Flighted

Fourteen MT 28 V5 TS 62* DG 

C&L 355g Beached 34"

• SPY VIP

Dave's2013Clubs.jpg

Told you, I had to make a spreadsheet :D

With some of the brands, it seems like there is one club category that takes me away from them.

Adams: XTD Driver. The slot on the top is too much for me.

Tour Edge: Irons don't really fit my eye or perceived game.

Some companies previous clubs make me wary.

Mizuno: Just not sure about the driver as I launched the previous JPX very high

Titleist: I think that I need a set of AP1.5's. Not quite ready for the AP2, but not a fan of the AP1. Woods also may be issue.

Other brands are close...

TaylorMade: I put in the probable SpeedBlade Tour as the irons. The three CB models may be too high octane. Regular SpeedBlade could prove OK, but would like something sleeker.

Nike: I'm not sure about the irons or wedges. Tony liked the wedges, that makes me curious. Covert forged could work, but Pro Combo may be like the AP2/CB issue.

Wilson Staff: I got to hit the FG Tour M3 stuff this weekend. Love the irons, hybrid, fairway, and hybrid. I did say hybrid twice. That club is amazing. The question is the driver. I need to hit it with the Phenom NL set-up to see if that brings down flight. Overall, the set seems very fun and I love the story of the 100 year anniversary/resurgence in the equipment arena. Hopefully lots of people find these this year.

Tough decision on the last three:

Callaway: Callaway seems to have the best options in terms of possible product for my game. Not too sure about the X2 Hot driver, although the green Aldila shaft felt great. Need to hit the BB and BBA, but again, there's options. Bonus: Played, and enjoyed, last three seasons of Callaway drivers (RAZR Hawk, RAZR Fit, RAZR Fit Xtreme). Lots of possible fits with the irons as well. Have hit the APEX, love them. Curious about the APEX Pro. X2HotPro not as interesting, but could work.

Cobra: Hit the Bio Cell+ yesterday. Love that driver. Fan of the Red Tie, but would likely want a Black Tie. If there is a green LE edition, I want it bad. Not as warm on the new irons, but I do like the AMP Forged a bunch. Could go total orange too. Add Golfspy T's "Best Wedges in Golf" and it would be a fun bag to play.

Ping: Have not touched an i25 anything yet, but I loved the i20 irons and woods, with a bit of a lean toward the G25 hybrid. Fan of Ping as a company too, so there is the emotional tie in too. I really need to hit these, but I could see 13 Pings, no problem.

Final Decision: Undecided :P

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Final Decision: Undecided :P

Well, at least you are an informed undecided.  Haha.

I understand what you are talking about.  In the past few years I really did not care about the new equipment because the older equipment seemed more my game.  But this year, it looks like there is a lot that could help me.  Yet, I went with the most old school in the bunch.  What is up with that?

I would go with Callaway here. First reason is the X-Hot Pro hybrids are the best things ever. Or at least in my bag. So that means I'd want to roll with the X2 Hot hybrids. Then that means I'd get my hands on the Big Bertha Alpha. I bagged the FT-9 for years so I'm confident there. I just took a few swings at Golfsmith with the Apex irons and they felt solid. That leaves the wedges. Not of fan of the wedges in the past, but I suck at wedges, so I'll sacrifice there. When do I get my contract?

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0*. (Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65)

FW: Cobra F9 3W (MC Diamana RF 60)
Hybrid:
Callaway Apex 19 2H (KBS - 85)

Hybrid: Callaway Apex 4H (MC - Kuro Kage 80 HY)
Irons: Callaway XR Steelhead 5I - AW (Project X 6.0 Steel)
Wedges: Callaway MD3 54* Standard; PM Grind 58* (Project X 5.5 Steel)
Putter: Odyssey Toulon - Atlanta (35")
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft, Titleist Pro-V1, Whatever is in the Weeds
Resident of Southern California

2 months ago, I would have said Callaway. But after hitting the SLDR and rocket blades, I'm all in with TMAG. FWIW,I already have a TMAG putter.

But it's gonna take an act of God to get the Mizunos out of my bag.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I am like Golfspy Dave on this undecided honestly. I had done some switching recently this year to modern stuff and played pretty good but something was lacking. Well lately I had been conversing with some guys on another site and they play vintage and I have leaned back towards old stuff. I played an all vintage bag yesterday including persimmon woods from the senior tees at my home course and had a great ball striking day and putting day so I don't see any real new stuff in my bag in the future other than modern woods. Oh well Lord help me I cant change

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I have no idea what the intent of this thread really was, or even if Dave had some intent behind it, but it is an awesome thread.  It got me to look at each of the manufacturers 2014 line up, and study the choices before I decided.  What I realized is that this year it is hard to go wrong. 

But I looked at how this was trending with everyone's picks.  And then I looked at how much of a change that was from what they were bagging now, and here is what I discovered.

Mizuno's brand loyalty with the irons is so strong that 5 of us said we would bag all Mizzy because of the irons.  However, I did not note one person who is switching to Mizzy, just those who are staying.

Not one person said they would go with Titleist even though many of us had a few Titleist clubs in the bag now.  Of course this is because Titleist is not releasing new drivers and woods this year and have only tweaked existing models.  Even so, I doubt that any of us would through a new set of theirs in the trash.

TaylorMade was a surprise for me.  I started this count because I was wondering how many were going to TMag.  5 people said they would go with TaylorMade and for 4 of them this is a dramatic shift from what they bag now.  I was surprised because I thought it would be much more.

Callaway is the big winner here.  9 spies say they would go with Callaway and this is a major brand change for at least 6 of them.  That is pretty impressive.  And even more impressive was when people talk about there line up, there is no perceived weakness.  This can be said of only 3 or 4 brands (Ping, Cobra and accounting for being a year old Titleist).

Ping is almost as impressive as Cally, because they have not spent the money that Cally has.  Ping has 4 guys switching to them.  All of them are switching from other brands and one of them really did make the switch with his own money. 

Cobra has 3 players, 2 of them from other brands.  This does not count the "Honorable Mentions" they also received.

Nike, Adams and Wilson each have one each, and none of these are guys switching over.

So out of 30 responses, 16 players are willing to make drastic changes in their bags because of this years line up.  I tend to think that this is because of the strength of the line ups.  The irons this year, MP4's, S55's, Apex series, Tour Preferred, etc... are awesome when coupled with the woods line ups I can understand the change.

I can't help but wonder where Callaway would be if they lost their fascination with the letter X and Z and learned to spell. 

FWIW, according to TM, the TP CB *is* the SpeedBlade Tour.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I have no idea what the intent of this thread really was, or even if Dave had some intent behind it, but it is an awesome thread. It got me to look at each of the manufacturers 2014 line up, and study the choices before I decided. What I realized is that this year it is hard to go wrong.

But I looked at how this was trending with everyone's picks. And then I looked at how much of a change that was from what they were bagging now, and here is what I discovered.

Mizuno's brand loyalty with the irons is so strong that 5 of us said we would bag all Mizzy because of the irons. However, I did not note one person who is switching to Mizzy, just those who are staying.

Not one person said they would go with Titleist even though many of us had a few Titleist clubs in the bag now. Of course this is because Titleist is not releasing new drivers and woods this year and have only tweaked existing models. Even so, I doubt that any of us would through a new set of theirs in the trash.

TaylorMade was a surprise for me. I started this count because I was wondering how many were going to TMag. 5 people said they would go with TaylorMade and for 4 of them this is a dramatic shift from what they bag now. I was surprised because I thought it would be much more.

Callaway is the big winner here. 9 spies say they would go with Callaway and this is a major brand change for at least 6 of them. That is pretty impressive. And even more impressive was when people talk about there line up, there is no perceived weakness. This can be said of only 3 or 4 brands (Ping, Cobra and accounting for being a year old Titleist).

Ping is almost as impressive as Cally, because they have not spent the money that Cally has. Ping has 4 guys switching to them. All of them are switching from other brands and one of them really did make the switch with his own money.

Cobra has 3 players, 2 of them from other brands. This does not count the "Honorable Mentions" they also received.

Nike, Adams and Wilson each have one each, and none of these are guys switching over.

So out of 30 responses, 16 players are willing to make drastic changes in their bags because of this years line up. I tend to think that this is because of the strength of the line ups. The irons this year, MP4's, S55's, Apex series, Tour Preferred, etc... are awesome when coupled with the woods line ups I can understand the change.

I can't help but wonder where Callaway would be if they lost their fascination with the letter X and Z and learned to spell.

Very nice summary. It puts it all into perspective.

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

Like RR said above, this was a fun exercise in researching back through the 2014 offerings (even though I knew my answer.) I do think PING has the most solid lineup across the board. And yes, I am biased. However, if the i25 driver and irons are an improvement over the fantastic i20 series, then they will be very hard to beat. Though I, too, would hate to give up my SCOR wedges.

Driver: i25

Fairway: G25 3W

Hybrid: i25 19*

Irons: i25 4-PW

Wedges: Tour 50, 54, 58

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

I am very excited about the 2014 lineup.  

Nike:

This is going to be an interesting year for nike.  I have not hit the covert 2.0 woods yet, but the original covert woods were great, and the people are saying good things about the covert 2.0.  The irons are a interesting thing for nike.  The covert or the covert forged irons don't look good, but I had a chance to demo the combo irons, and they are sweet.  I have always liked their wedges, and I like the method putter line.

Taylormade:

The slider is a bomb, but i have not yet hit any of the jetspeed.  I think bringing back the tour prefered irons is a great idea for taylormade.  The CB and the MC irons definitely look like irons that I would play.  The only problem with taylormade is the wedges, but I like their putters.

Callaway:

The big bertha is a good driver, but don't forget about the x2 hot.  The x hot fairways were great, and I am glad they got rid of most of the offset on the hybrids.  Their wedges are great, and I love Odyssey.  The big thing for callaway this year is the irons, the apex irons are great.

Titleist:

You can never go wrong with Titleist.  Titleist is all around great, but I wish their fairways and hybrids had a little bigger heads.  Their wedges and putters are very good too.  I am currently bagging the 913 d2, and it is very consistent.  As soon as I hit the new ap2, I would not give them up, they are amazing.

Mizuno:

The best range of irons hands down, and everything else is consistent.  The feel on a well struck mp iron is great.

Overall:

Gotta go with titleist because of the 714 ap2.

Driver: 913 D2 10 degrees

3 wood: 913 f

3 and 5 hybrid: 913: h

Irons: ap2 project x 95

wedges: can't go wrong with vokey

Putter: Scotty cameron golo, winn pistol grip

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

I expect TMaG to have a much better wedge in the spring that is based upon the Tour Preferred MB designs.  The AW in the CB set is already there (and marked as a 51*)

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Not one person said they would go with Titleist even though many of us had a few Titleist clubs in the bag now.  Of course this is because Titleist is not releasing new drivers and woods this year and have only tweaked existing models.  Even so, I doubt that any of us would through a new set of theirs in the trash.

I definitely choose titleist, mainly because of their 714 ap2 that I can't get enough of.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

• SPY VIP

I have no idea what the intent of this thread really was, or even if Dave had some intent behind it, but it is an awesome thread.  It got me to look at each of the manufacturers 2014 line up, and study the choices before I decided.  What I realized is that this year it is hard to go wrong. 

That was actually my initial intent of the thread. It seemed like there was unusual amounts of good out there this year.

There may be some more covert action coming soon though :ph34r:

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Put me down as another Cobra Guy, Bio me out and trusty Rusty me. I hit them at the demo day and really loved them!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

I would go Callaway after hitting the Apex Pro irons.  They were just awesome.  I am also excited about the mack daddy wedges.  And with all their offerings int he other categories I am sure I could find a driver, fairway, and hybrid to fill out the other three clubs. 

Bag: :ping-small:  Hoofer Vantage

Driver: :ping-small:  G25 10.5 Aldila NV 65 S

3 Wood:   :cobra-small:  Fly Z+ 3 Wood 13.5*

Rescue: :adams-small:  XTD ti 18* set to 17* or  :adams-small: Pro 23* 

Irons: :callaway-small:  Apex Pro 4-PW, KBS Tour S, Standard Length and Loft, 2* flat, 

Wedges: :callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 50* bent to 51*, KBS Tour S

:vokey-small: Spin Milled 56* bent to 55*

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy 2 60* U grind KBS Tour S

Putter: :cameron-small: Futura X5 MOTO

Grips: PURE DTX Green

Archived