TESTERS WANTED! ×

Modern Golf Vancouver Open House

The Dansome

• SPY VIP

ModernGolf-Sign.jpg

Yesterday, along with my lovely wife and photographer the Mrs. MBP, we had the opportunity to check out the open house for the soon to open Modern Golf Vancouver.

http://moderngolf.ca/

Opening on February 11th you can see they still have yet to put together the glass and glam finishing touches we've come to associate their Toronto shop with, but what we did see really wow'd. This is a much needed facility for the lower mainland offering a true end to end fitting experience.

Modern Golf will offer:

Custom Club Fitting

Custom Club Building

Club Blueprinting/Specs

The MBP is returning in a week to go through the entire spec lab/fitting experience, so keep an eye out for that write up.

Until then, here's some pics of what we did get to see during our tour with Vancouver Manager Dean Walters & Toronto Partner Ian Fraser.

Modern 59 Gear

ModernGolf-Bags-59case.jpg

ModernGolf-59bag.jpg

They knew Mrs. MBP was coming. Sadly cupcakes are not in their future plans...

ModernGolf-Cupcakes.jpg

Spec & Blueprinting Lab

ModernGOlf-loftlie.jpg

ModernGolf-Scales.jpg

I still haven't figured out this awkward moment...

ModernGolf-AkwardSpecs.jpg

Shaft Wall!

ModernGolf-Shaftwall.jpg

ModernGolf-Shaftwall2.jpg

A $1200 what?

ModernGolf-1200shaft.jpg

The Fitting Room

ModernGolf-Fitdresser.jpg

ModernGOlf-Headdrawers.jpg

ModernGolf-Fitroom.jpg

ModernGolf-Trackman.jpg

ModernGolf-Chart.jpg

ModernGolf-Ironshafts.jpg

ModernGolf-trackmanwall.jpg

Oh look forum members KT-18 and Snoopy!

ModernGolf-TManroom.jpg

Putting and Short Game Area

ModernGolf-Putting.jpg

This Area Confused Me, But Dean Referred to it as a Gym?

ModernGolf-Punchingbag.jpg

MOdernGOlf-NikeSparq.jpg

ModernGOlf-Gym.jpg

And here's the rest of what to expect

ModernGolf-Facilities.jpg

ModernGolf-lessons.jpg

ModernGolf-Teaching.jpg

And yes it's Canada

ModernGolf-ohcanada.jpg

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

That place looks awesome! Can't wait to hear how the fitting goes

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Wow am I jealous! We got NOTHING even close to that here. That is awesome!

This place is definitely ONE OF A KIND in Vancouver! It is absolutely phenomenal. I was there too for their open house (and in some of the photos as well!) and have to say that everything at Modern Golf is top notch. They are completely brand agnostic and the amount of detail they go into when fitting you for clubs is amazing. I love their "blueprint station" too, which measures everything about your current golf clubs - lie angle, loft, shaft stiffness etc.

I am VERY excited to go back and really see the difference in my off the rack Callaway X-18s and what a complete and proper fitting will do for my game. I'm also heading back to MG Vancouver in a couple weeks for a full bag fitting... Will definitely keep this thread updated on my experience too!!!

Driver: Looking for a new one for 2014! Covert? SLDR? Big Bertha? Any suggestions?!

3 wood: Taylormade RBZ 3-wood, stock

Hybrid: Adams A4OS 3 hybrid (19 degree) and 4 hybrid (22 degree)

Irons: Callaway X18 irons, 3-PW

Wedges: Cleveland 588DSG 54*, Titleist Vokey SM2 60*

Putter: Nike Unitized Leo

Shoes: Adidas TOUR360

Glad to see you made it there. They have a world of knowledge and especially my friend Ian Fraser.

Ian is an AWESOME guy! Him and Dean took us around the facility and really showed us how everything worked, what they did, what to expect... the whole 9 yards :)

Driver: Looking for a new one for 2014! Covert? SLDR? Big Bertha? Any suggestions?!

I am VERY excited to go back and really see the difference in my off the rack Callaway X-18s and what a complete and proper fitting will do for my game. I'm also heading back to MG Vancouver in a couple weeks for a full bag fitting... Will definitely keep this thread updated on my experience too!!!

Please do!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

BTW, Dan, you take A LOT better photos than I do haha :P

Okay here's your female first impressions of the Modern Era Golf facility in Vancouver:

Why are we going to the industrial part of "Slurrey" (if you've lived in Vancouver as long as I have, Surrey has a certain reputation)?

However, Dean explained why and now I get it. The most important thing is, it's no more than 30 mins from any of the surrounding cities. It took Dan and I about 20 mins from South Vancouver.

I really like the "Blueprint room". I grew up with a mechanic father and the cool tools/machines in the green backlit room is very cool.

Dean took us upstairs, and I think I was in love! A big gym with focus on core training! Awesome! I was really impressed and think that this is an important part of golf now and was happy to see that they believe in this at Modern Era as well.

A huge putting green that rolls like a boss! Gorgeous!

Three separated booths, but I wouldn't even call them booths, would call them executive swing lounges. Couches and club seats to make you feel more comfortable with swing monitors to track your progress.

Aesthetics is big for me and they have a nice space, I know they have finishing touches to make, and can't wait to see the final product!

Dean and Ian are great guys! They make you feel comfortable and that's important, you definitely don't want to feel intimidated. I could listen to Ian talk all day long with his Scottish accent lol.

See you next week!

Don't think there's anything i can add that MBP, Mrs. MBP and Snoopy haven't added already but I'll be going back in a few weeks for a full fitting as well! Just got a set of Mizuno MP-59s from a demo sale so i'm sure there'll be a lot of changes etc for my irons.  Can't wait!

• SPY VIP

Don't think there's anything i can add that MBP, Mrs. MBP and Snoopy haven't added already but I'll be going back in a few weeks for a full fitting as well! Just got a set of Mizuno MP-59s from a demo sale so i'm sure there'll be a lot of changes etc for my irons.  Can't wait!

dude getting those demo irons specs and fitted will be money!

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Wish we had a place like that down under :(

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

Hey now, photography credit is going to the wrong person there bud! I should watermark them so there's no mistake where the real talent is. lol

LOL! My bad, great photography skills Mrs. MBP! I think I'm gonna need some lessons from you in the future :P haha

That place looks pretty awesome.

It's beyond awesome!! Very excited to have this in my backyard. I had the same feeling as Mrs. MBP initially, with the facility being located in an industrial looking part of Surrey, but once you walked in, you totally forgot where you were because the space is amazing. It took me a lot quicker to get there than I thought too, very accessible location... plus being near the non-toll bridge is an added bonus!

Thought I would add one of the photos I took into this thread as well, hopefully, it's up to Mrs. MBP's standards ;) haha

Right after you walk in and turn the corner, this is what you see. Should've seen the smile on my face!! the three hitting lounges/trackman are behind the shaft wall.

photo_14.jpg

Any idea of the capital investment required to open this???

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

saw the Mr and Mrs. MBP instagram today, how was the fitting?!

• 2 weeks later...

excited for the MBP write up! just had my own fitting with KT-18 today and it was a lot of fun. learned a lot and the fitting was a great experience. it was my first ever club fitting!

ill post up some trackman numbers when i get them, but off the top of my head, this is what i can remember:

my irons: callaway X18, uniflex shafts, 6i, carry ~186, total ~197

fitted for: callaway apex irons, kbs tour v shafts, 6i, carry~ 195, total ~212-215

not just longer, but my dispersion was A LOT tighter... went from about 79 feet off line (i have a crazy hook miss) to just 7 - 9 feet off line on the trackman... a lot of that has to do with the uniflex shaft (which i expected) and lie angle though, but that's what i have off the top of my head, will be sure to update again when i get all my thoughts together! but story of the day: fitting is so important and beneficial

Archived