TESTERS WANTED! ×

Setting up a buddy trip - best trip - Ideas?

kbosecker

Looking for input from everyone. We are in the planning stages of a golf buddy trip for summer time. Typically 8-12 guys are involved. We will play at least 18 holes everyday but can be convinced to go for 36. We get a full range of abilities playing. What is the best trip you have taken? and what made it the best? 

One of the better trips we made was to Scottsdale during Spring Training. We golfed in the morning and selected from the many baseball games for the afternoon - evening. Obviously this was high season around that area but we were able to save some money as a friend had access to accomodations. 

It would be great to hear everyone's ideas. 

Having just returned from Sawgrass, I would give that a look as an option.

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/10602-tpc-sawgrass-bbbattpc/?p=125382

Additionally, it's in close proximity to the World Golf Hall of Fame, which in my opinion, is worth a visit if you happen to be in the area as well.  Two great courses on that property too.

Posted Image

Not sure how far you're willing to travel but one trip I'd return to is the Robert Trent Jones Trail in Alabama. Last Sept. 8 of us went to Montgomery (Prattville) and played the courses at Capital Hill. 3-Great courses. Super service, etc. First class. The green fees are about $75 round. We stayed at the Marriot on the course but I'd suggest a private home. Cheaper and would be more fun. I know a guy who has 2 homes set up for golfers. You will find him on VRBO website. Just search. Also, If you're willing to drop some bucks you should consider Bandon Dunes. Killer!!

This fall me and my group are going to NC - Pinehurst area. We'll be playing #2 and another PH course along with Pine Needles and Mid-Pines. Can't wait.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I still say Bandon or Kohler Wis.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

I'm going to Kohler perhaps next year. It's on the bucket list. Me and my guys usually take fall trips but I'd bet Kohler might get a little nippy in late September or early October. What times of the year have you been?

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

I have only been in the winter an it was Fu#king cold! It also a bucket list area for me to play.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

I'm going to Kohler perhaps next year. It's on the bucket list. Me and my guys usually take fall trips but I'd bet Kohler might get a little nippy in late September or early October. What times of the year have you been?

Definitely still playable in late Sept/early Oct, but you are right it could get nippy.  It's not abnormal to see temps in the 60's if it's nice out, but you'll also get windy, rainy and 40's on some days.

Early/mid sept would probably be a safer bet :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

In my prior life, my prior wife and I would frequently spend our anniversary weekend in Kohler at the American Club and playing golf.  This was usually around the 23rd to 25th of September.  Don't recall any significant weather problems.  Sweater weather is how I'd describe it.  That's one of the few things about the prior life I miss--the Kohler experience.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

For the past 6 years, we (24 players) have gone to Spring Lake Resort in Sebring, FL....this year I found a new place in Kissimmee, FL......Remington Golf Club & Kissimmee Bay Golf Club.  You stay in 4BR homes with WiFi and a pool and play at both Remington & Kissimmee Bay(just 1 mile away).  I have 24 players going this year with a cost of approx. $250 per person....4 days of golf (6 rounds) with 3 nights lodging. Here's the site:  playgolfinkissimmee.com

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Hey Plaid -- The Robert Trent Jones trail is definetly on the short list. Did you organize the trip or did you use a service to assist? 

Foz - thanks for the Florida recommendation. The few business trips I have made to FL offered me hot and humid weather. What time of year did you go? How was the weather? The group has faced hot enough weather in AZ but the humidity can kill my energy. 

Spy -- did you have any assistance on setting up the trip to Sawgrass? 

Thanks for the great ideas -- going to look at Bandon and Kohler also. Thinking Bandon my be too much walking for some -- From what I remember of Kohler its not cheap but as others have said - its on the bucket list. I have been the American Club - definetly 5 stars. 

Hey Plaid -- The Robert Trent Jones trail is definetly on the short list. Did you organize the trip or did you use a service to assist? 

Foz - thanks for the Florida recommendation. The few business trips I have made to FL offered me hot and humid weather. What time of year did you go? How was the weather? The group has faced hot enough weather in AZ but the humidity can kill my energy. 

Spy -- did you have any assistance on setting up the trip to Sawgrass? 

Thanks for the great ideas -- going to look at Bandon and Kohler also. Thinking Bandon my be too much walking for some -- From what I remember of Kohler its not cheap but as others have said - its on the bucket list. I have been the American Club - definetly 5 stars. 

kb--I'm a member at TPC Sawgrass--(Valley Course membership).  I can help you with ideas and planning and get you on the Stadium even if you don't stay at the Marriott.  Sawgrass is generally 5 or more degrees cooler than inland Florida because of the prevailing Ocean breezes (it's a little over a mile to the Ocean on the east side of the intracoastal).  We golf all summer long.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

The weather is usually 71* to 90* in Kissimmee in June

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I just set it up for our group. it was easy. The staff at the RTJ Trail where we played (Capital Hill) could not have been more friendly and helpful`the whole time. If you decide on a trip there someday let me know. I'll give you details.

Archived