Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

What happened to my game!

Mfrye

What the heck happened to my game!

On a normal day on the links I am stuck in the mid 80's occasionally ill break 80 but rare and normally on a familiar course but I never go above 90 or at least havent in a long time. as where I am not a great or even good golfer I keep composed and play my game. Now for the worst round of recent memory.

I was visiting my girlfriends family last weekend and mentioned to her grandfather that we should go out and play a round. It worked out perfectly because I was going to be in town the next weekend. So we went to his country club Mountain Gate CC, a monster of elevation changes perched atop the Topanga Hills. It is blowing about 15mph with gusts in the 30s and temps were high 50s.

First drive is a straight top barley makes it 20 yds, Her grandpa lets me tee another one off, it was beauty straight down the pipe 270. then threewood off the deck on the long par 5, top again and rolls to about 140 out, hit a nice 6 into the wind the just bounced off the back of the green and i managed to chip in for birdie. thats where the red numbers ended. I was missing 3 foot putts chunking chips and catching the thin, sliding the club and pooching shots. I didnt one putt a single green. I was slicing and hooking drives so bad on one i wound up on another green.

My question I pose to you all is, What to do when nothing is going right? I know all this could be because i was nervous playing with her grandpa, or the course is extremely challenging which is why the Campions tour wont come back. I just hope I can shake the dreaded shanks

"I know all this could be because i was nervous playing with her grandpa,..." While I think most folks here would admit to being off of his or her game occasionally, I think you hit the nail on the head there. I discovered the same thing after I joined the men's club last year. Great group of guys but I was just far enough out of my comfort zone for the first few events that I played like crap. I mean I was all over the place, just as you described. My play didn't improve until I was able to relax and get back to playing my game.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Probably not an "approved" method, but for me having a few adult beverages can help settle down the nerves pretty quick.

Here is another option...

It's meant to be funny, but there is a good message.  It's most likely your brain getting in the way, need to find a way to clear it and stop thinking.  Let your muscle memory take over.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Archived