Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Ocean City, MD Golf Getaway

• SPY VIP

Saturday I'm heading down to Ocean City, Maryland for 5 rounds of golf over 4 days.

We're playing:

As I struggle to figure out what I want to put in the bag, I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in updates from my trip? I enjoyed Matt's Myrtle Beach Diary, and was thinking I might do the same for Ocean City.

This is the 2nd straight year I'll be headed to OC. I would have loved to travel a little further South to Myrtle, but the guys I'm traveling with are too cheap to spring for the plane tickets (there's not good way to get there from Albany). We played Man O War last year, but otherwise skimped on golf and stayed in a hotel dump that had all the ambiance of a crime scene.

This year we're spending more on golf and all of the courses are considered among the best Ocean City has to offer. For those considering a spring getaway on a budget, Ocean City is a reasonable drive from my area (Saratoga, NY) as well as Jersey, NYC, and other points South.

There are some decent deals (not quite as cheap as Myrtle) to be had as well. For $525 a man we got our 5 rounds of golf, 3 night hotel stay, free steak dinner at River Run, $50 gift cards for the restaurant at the Links at Lighthouse Sound and Ruth's Chris at GlenRiddle (Man O War/ War Admiral). 3 mornings worth of breakfast is also included.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I want to hear about it for sure. As a younger man, we took guy trips to Ocean City to party, never golf though. My uncle plays there twice a year, and I am not sure which course it is, but they love to throw up the "Pebble Beach of the East" tag to it. While it isn't Pebble, my uncle said the course is a great course!

Keep us updated!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

I want to hear about it for sure. As a younger man, we took guy trips to Ocean City to party, never golf though. My uncle plays there twice a year, and I am not sure which course it is, but they love to throw up the "Pebble Beach of the East" tag to it. While it isn't Pebble, my uncle said the course is a great course!

Keep us updated!

I believe Links at Lighthouse is the one somebody decided to call the Pebble of the East. While I'm not expecting a Pebble experience, it is on most of the Top 100 you can play lists which is certainly something.

We played Baywood Greens last year. Somebody decided to call that one the Augusta of the North. It's definitely a hell of a nice course with a great layout, but the nearly 6 hour round sort of ruined it for me.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Spring time in OC is off season for golf, I have been told, so maybe you will have some shorter rounds!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

The bags are backed. I leave first thing tomorrow morning. I'm constantly tinkering with the composition of my set, and perhaps a golf trip isn't the best time to try something new, but here's what I'm carrying with me:

• Callaway FT-9 Tour 8.5° - my driver
  • Unnamed demo from our review list (been struggling with my own driver, so a "break glass in case of emergency" club is coming along)
  • Ping G10 4-Wood (leaving the strong 3-wood at home in favor of an extra wedge)
  • 21° Titleist 585H
  • Mizuno MP-52 (4-PW)
  • Vokey 200 Series 52°
  • Vokey Spin Milled 56° (bent to 58°)
  • Callaway X-Forged 64°
  • TaylorMade Rossa Monza 34" (it's what's working right now)
  • OGIO Anomaly cart bag
  • PUMA Swing Crown GTX shoes
  • Assortment of balls

There's a small chance I might switch out a couple of the wedges with similar models from different manufacturers, but this looks like the bag I'm taking.

• SPY VIP

Played Rum Pointe yesterday afternoon. Jackass that I am, I forgot to bring the camera with me on the course. Included are a few snaps I took with my phone.

From the website:

This Scottish-style links is the only area course to feature bent-grass on the fairways and greens. No less than 17 of the 18 holes have a bay view with several holes having direct bay frontage, where you can start your ball over the water to shorten the hole. The Dyes have certainly created situations of risk and reward that will quicken the heart rate of even the most experienced golfer. From the back tees this championship quality course is capable of hosting a PGA Tour stop but forgiving enough from the middle tees to satisfy golfers of all skill levels.

rum1.jpg

For the most part the course is wide open with plenty of parallel fairways, and tee boxes close to greens, so be prepared to play a little dodge ball. Considering it's early spring in Ocean City, the course is absolutely fabulous conditions. The smooth greens are unbelievable quick. Unlike some of the other courses I've played in Ocean City, there aren't much in the way of forced carries off the tee (or on approach shots). Most of the trouble you'll find comes from the numerous bunkers (some of them quite deep - I had a blind shot out of what was basically a 12 foot sand pit). Also fortunate for the golfer who struggles with accuracy, most of the hazards are of the lateral variety. You won't find yourself hitting 3 off the tee very often, and unless you find water or miss badly, it's reasonably easy to keep your ball in play.

rum2.jpg

We played in windy conditions (gusting in to the 20s), so the weather was a challenge (not surprising for a links course on the ocean). I didn't score well...I'll blame the long drive to the course, and the wind, and leave it that.

rum3.jpg

Overall, Rum Pointe was a very good course; well worth the money. We did have to wait on a few tee boxes, but pace of play wasn't a real issue. Admittedly I didn't enjoy the layout as much as I do Man O War (playing there Monday), but I certainly can't find fault with what is certainly an outstanding courses with the best ocean views we've seen in Ocean City to date.

Today we play the Gayer Player designed River Run. I'll try not to forget the camera this time.

• SPY VIP

On the second day of my trip we played the Gary Player designed River Run. Quite honestly, I didn't know much about the course going in (this isn't uncommon for Ocean City, so I'm trying to change that). My knowledge consisted of two thing:

1. Info like this from the website:

"Gary Player created a course that is very enjoyable to play. The golf course is sometimes called a “tale of two nines” with its open front nine and tighter back side that winds through the timber. The course is fair for the beginner, but is certainly no walk in the park for the scratch player. The greens are medium sized and not especially difficult, the fairways are generous from the tee and modestly bunkered. There are a few lakes to avoid and some marshy areas which are common when you're only seven miles from the ocean."

And perhaps more importantly...

2. They give out free steak dinners (drinks, appetizers, and gratuity NOT included).

1.png

In addition to a putting area, River Run offers complimentary access to what is a decent, although not great driving range. The course itself reminds me a bit of Eagles Landing and Newport Bay which I played last year. Comparisons end with the layout, however, as River Run is better maintained, and the staff is infinitely more friendly. One thing lacking at River Run (again compared to other OC courses), the carts do NOT have onboard GPS, which means I spend more time with the rangefinder in hand than I did at all of the other courses combined.

2.png

Unlike Rum Pointe and Links at Lighthouse Sound (review coming later), River Run is more of an inland course. Although the Ocean is visible from a few holes, it's not omnipresent like it is on some other Ocean City course. Instead, the layout is not dissimilar to what I'd find closer to home. Whether your call it woodland, or parkland style, River Run most definitely does not feel nor does it play like an ocean course. After playing in gusty conditions at Rum Pointe the day before, that was hardly a bad thing.

The tees we played from are rated at 70.9/125 making it among one of the two most difficult course we played in OC. While more score suggested that might be true, the course played substantially easier than Rum Pointe in the wind. What can I say, I'm a notoriously bad spring golfer, and River Run saw the worst of it.

3.png

The course itself was in excellent condition. It seems like higher than average spring temperatures have been good to all of the Ocean City courses, so overall things were a lot greener than they were last year. River Run is mostly left in a natural state (no Augusta style planting beds, etc.), the greens are in excellent conditions, but it's worth noting that they were the slowest we encountered during our trip. They're not slow necessarily (at least not compared to what I normally play), but when compared to the others, well...they rate on the slowish side.

4.png

While in general, the course is fairly open, there are a few tight driving holes (including one pictured in this review). The one shown features water down the left. If you're able to navigate that, you still have to content with the possibility that a right-handed hook is going to hit somebody's house. One of the guys in our foursome did just that, which became even more awkward when the homeowner emerged seconds after impact to casually clean his grill.

8.png

A couple of holes also border roadways, which in addition to make for tight driving, means you'll have to content with the occasional jackass who thinks it's funny to honk his horn while driving past a couple course. I'm not sure what the total lost ball count was, but definitely two lost to roadways, and one lost to that house I mentioned.

6.png

We did have a run in with a homeowner (that is to say, one of the guys in my group did). He had probably had a bit too much to drink, and instead of taking his white stake medicine, he decided he'd play his ball from just outside the confines of the course (which happened to be just inside the confines of somebody's back yard). A woman emerged from one of the neighboring houses and started lecturing (rightfully so) on the meaning of said white stakes; finishing her rant with a demonstrative "take a stroke, Buckweat!". Anytime your buddy gets called Buckwheat by a complete stranger, you've pretty much gotten your money's worth.

7.png

Overall, the parkland style, with generous fairways, smooth greens (with not a lot of undulation), makes for a nice change of pace from some of the oceanfront courses. The par 3s are moderate, and there isn't a whole lot in the way of forced carries to content with. While white stakes line parts of the course, there's reasonable space to avoid them, and overall, they don't distract from the quality of play.

5.png

The staff at proshop, cart barn, and restaurant were all friendly and made me feel welcome. There's nothing worth than a course staff that goes out of its way to make you feel like it's privilege for you to give them your money, and you should be grateful for the opportunity.

9.png

As for the free steak dinner. It was good-enough. Basically, it's exactly what you could reasonably expect from a free sirloin. The Death Wings we got as an appetizer, well...they're appropriately named....especially as far as the next morning is concerned.

While admittedly River Run was my least favorite of the courses I played this time around, it wouldn't kill me to play it again. It doesn't have the spectacular vistas of other OC courses, and feels a bit less like a vacation resort course. That said, it's worth a visit should you ever take an Ocean City vacation. Having played it once, however; I'd by more inclined to try something new next time.

great reviews... It's making me jealous... I'm in the Northern Virginia/DC area for a few more days visiting family, and I've only been out once...Oh well... time with family has been fun... <_>

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

Great review and the course looked great. How was the dinner?

As I said in the review, the steak is about what you'd expect out of a free sirloin. Nobody is ever going to confuse it with a ribeye or filet from Ruth's Chris, but it wasn't half bad either. My buddies said the veggies were good, but I jokingly said I don't eat vegetables on vacation, and then decided to run with it.

• SPY VIP

For the 3rd day of our trip I had planned pretty much what I consider to be a perfect day of golf. We played 18 holes at Glen Riddle Man O War, followed by a lunch at Ruth's Chris. The afternoon was spent playing 18 at Glen Riddle's War Admiral course, followed by dinner at Ruth's Chris. Seriously, does it get much better?

1.png

Of the courses we chose this year, Man O War was the only course we had played last year that made it on to the itinerary for a 2nd go around. Many (in my mind too many) courses get described as links style course. I basically classify links courses into 3 styles; scottish links (pot bunkers, tall fescue, large mounds, etc.), seaside links (water front, rocky, at the mercy of the elements, etc.), and everything else (might have elements of links golf, but doesn't provide what I consider a true links experience). Man O War is a true Scottish links style course (if you can overlook the occasional view of the Wal-Mart across the street).

2.png

Here's what Glen Riddle has to say about their Man O War course:

he Man O'War Course occupies the westerly portion of GlenRiddle. The course features pure, windswept links golf. The golfer faces challenges often found in the British Isles including large greens, double fairways, pot bunkers, sand dunes, and the ever-present eastern shore winds. The historic racetrack used to train champion thoroughbreds is utilized as a strategic cross hazard on three holes. The Man O'War Course plays 7,163 yards and a par of 72 from the rear tees.

3.png

As I said, Man O War was the only course I chose to revisit from the year before. I love true Scottish links style golf. I love mounds, and dunes, and pot bunkers...and Man O War offers all of that. I'm also a huge thoroughbred racing fan, so golfing on the old Riddle farm, in the hoofsteps of the great Champions Man O War, and War Admiral, is just an awesome experience.

4.png

As far as the conditions are concerned, Man O War was comparatively in rough shape (still in very good shape all around), but hadn't recovered from the winter as well as the others we played. Last year it was probably a little nicer overall, but still I have no complaints.

Overall the greens rolled slower than all but, River Run, but were in great condition (save a few ball marks from golfers who couldn't be bothered to clean up after themselves). As I learned last year, however; they roll true, and for whatever reason, I just have a feel for them. For the 2nd year in a row, I putted very well at Man O War.

5.png

Admittedly, the front 9 is 100% Scottish links, while the back does meander into marshlands which in addition to introducing a few forced carries off the tee, makes a few holed play a bit more parkland in style. Overall though, it's still the best links style experience I've ever had.

6.png

Overall fairways are generous, and for the most part it's difficult to lose a ball. There are a couple of holes that fall off dramatically around the greens, so if you're not aware of the terrain, or you simply hit a bad shot, then you're either fighting snakes for your ball in a wooded area, or fishing for it in a pond. The carts all have to-the-pin GPS, so if you study it closely you're less likely to find hidden trouble.

7.png

The Par 3s are not overly difficult, but that's countered by the par 5s which are difficult (if not impossible) to reach from the blues, or the tips.

8.png

This year the weather was perfect (60 & sunny), but honestly, I think I enjoyed it more last year. We had a light, misty rain, and at times heavy fog, which, although making the course more difficult, gave it an ambiance that was missing under sunny skies.

9.png

Not related to the course itself, but worth mentioning, Man O War is where I fell in love with the Solus FC-10 wedge. Stick a ball 3 feet on a tricky green once, and you'll love a wedge. Do it again 3 holes later and well..."from my cold dead hands".

10.png

Just like last year, the staff was friendly and helpful. Not much to add beyond that. I did have once complaint, but I'll save that for the War Admiral review, since that's where it's most applicable.

11.png

The driving range is complementary. It's well maintained, but ideally it wouldn't be located parallel to the 10th fairway. Miss the fairway right off the 10th tee (as 3 in our group did), and you're very much in the line of fire. It definitely not cool.

12.png

I loved Man O War last year, and loved it just as much the 2nd time around. I've played a handful of world class courses (Turning Stone, Saratoga National, Links at Lighthouse Sound), and Man O War, while perhaps not as well known, for me anyway, is as fun, if not more fun than any of them.

13.png

If we go back to Ocean City, Man O War will continue to be an annual stop.

14.png

15.png

• SPY VIP

Another great looking course, I bet it's a bear when the rough comes in~!

John - You can't be wrong. Last year I remember thinking, "damn good thing it's spring and this hasn't grown in yet". It's hard to get out of the high stuff now, but the rough is plenty manageable. Another month and it might be miserable (Kaluhyat at Turning Stone is my reference point for getting your ass kicked by the tall grass)

• SPY VIP

After lunch (Turkey Poorboy if you're curious) at Ruth's Chris, and a brief rest, we headed out to War Admiral (the newer of the 2 courses at Glen Riddle) for a 2nd 18. Inexplicably I neglected to take more than a couple of pictures (not sure what the hell I was thinking), so this review is going to be very light on my own photos (the small ones are linked from the War Admiral site). One of my playing partner's in-laws (well, girlfriend's parents anyway) have a house at Glen Riddle, so he's played both course a few times; War Admiral more often than Man O War.

war1.jpg

What I knew going in is that War Admiral is more wooded (call it Parkland style), a little tighter (as nearly anything would be when compared to Man O War). I had also heard that it was superbly maintained. Oh...and I knew what I had read on the website:

Man O'War's sister course, War Admiral, is routed through mature forest and offers a completely different golf experience. The course is sheltered from the wind, but provides a demanding test from the tees. The site's beautiful tidal marsh comes into play on five dramatic holes, offering amazing views. Rugged, breathtaking bunkers reminiscent of golf's great past is the signature of the War Admiral Course. From the rear tees the course plays to a par of 72 and a length of 6,889 yards.

war2.jpg

From my perspective, War Admiral is like a couple of my favorite area courses (Shenendoah at Turning Stone (links-like rolling green fairways), and Saratoga National (forced carrys over marshlands, but awesome layout) had a baby). If you've played either, I'd say it's more Shenendoah with wide-enough, well maintained fairways, manageable greens, and a scattering of bunkers (some of which are nasty green-side pot bunkers which require a well-lofted escape).

war3.jpg

There were a few holes I simply didn't care for at War Admiral.

#9 is a par 4 where your approach is over marshland (the same marshland you'll encounter on #10). Playing 422 yards, If you're tee shot isn't long, you're looking at a long iron into the green, with not much margin for error to be short. I forgot what club I hit, but I left the damn face open and hit a high flare into the crap. I'm not bitter, or anything, but target golf has never really suited my game.

war4.jpg

#10 is a par 3 with a substantial forced carry over marshlands. 3 of us ended up taking drops, 2 of the guys ended up taking two drops. On the afternoon of our round, the flag was playing 208 into a head wind. It was rough.

war6.jpg

Finally, I absolutely despise #18. The tees were back when we played, which basically forced all of us to layup as close as we could to the edge of the water we'd have to hit over. Unfortunately, my lay up shot was crap (pushed it to far to the left), which left me with a 4-iron over wetlands to the green. Once again, I flared the club open (a problem I had most of the week), and ended up playing from the drop area. I don't necessarily mind par 4s where 5 is a good score, but when everybody in your group (even those who hit a good drive), have to hit something between an 8-iron and a PW to put themselves in position to approach the green (dogleg to the right), it leaves you with a bad taste in your mouth...especially if it's the 18th hole (15-17 are really nice though).

war7.jpg

I don't want for it to sound like a few bad holes ruined my day. Quite the contrary, I loved almost every moment at War Admiral (even if I didn't always play well). After all, it's not really fair to blame the course when I'm the one who sucks. I think War Admiral gets lost in Ocean City, because like Man O War, it's almost out of place in Ocean City. It's not on the water, hell, from what I could tell, it's nowhere near the water, which is definitely fine, but again, it's a little out of place amongst the collection of seaside golf links. That said, it's a stunning course, with a mostly great layout that should most definitely be part of any Ocean City vacation.

1.png

We did have an issue with our cart (it basically died). The upside is you can request a cart replacement directly from the console in the cart, the downside is it took more than half an hour and nearly 4 holes for the replacement to show up. Meanwhile our cart was barely rolling down fairways, at times powered by little more than gravity and the wind. Had it not been afternoon on a mostly empty course, we would have had a SERIOUS pace of play problem on our hands. I will admit to being amused when the ranger tried to drive the bad cart back to the cart barn only to discover it didn't have the juice to get out of the gully we were in.

2.png

We basically walked right off the 18th green and into Ruth's Chris (how can you not love a golf course with Ruth's Chris attached to the proshop?). I had the filet with spinach and mashed potatoes. I washed it all down with what has to be the beer discovery of the week; Lucky 7 Porter.

• SPY VIP

So I just mentioned to one of the guys on the trip that I only took 2 pictures at War Admiral. His question, "was that because you were drunk"?

Yeah...it all makes sense now.

Now that course looks awesome. I love hard course, I would much rather play a course way out of my league than an easy course. It looked like it was in great shape!

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

The last one...

Our 4th and final day of our 2010 Ocean City Golf vacation brought us to the Links at Lighthouse Sound. Generally regarded as the best Ocean City has to offer, Lighthouse has been called "The Pebble Beach of the East", and ranks on nearly every golf publication's Best Places YOU Can Play list.

1.png

Here's what the architect has to say about Lighthouse:

"Welcome to the Links at Lighthouse Sound. Not often is a golf course architect provided a site with so much natural diversity. Our goal from the beginning was to create a course that allows Mother nature to show off her beauty.

"Lighthouse Sound offers great variety in terms of visual excitement and strategy. As often as possible we tried to take advantage of the expansive views of the bay and Ocean City skyline. Ten holes border the pristine marshlands found within the 1,000 acre site while others are framed with mature hardwoods.

"Together, this collection of holes will hopefully provide a challenging and memorable golf experience. We hope you will come back often to test your skill and experience the exceptional beauty of Lighthouse Sound."

- Arthur Hills

Golf Course Architec

2.png

Somehow (shallow pockets if I recall) we managed to leave Lighthouse of the list last time around. This year we wouldn't make the same mistake. Given its reputation and accolades, it shouldn't come as any real surpise that I was really looking forward to seeing if it would live up to the billing. Optimism was high since on the last day of any golf trip, it's important you have the best time you possibly can.

3.png

We arrived about 15 minutes before our tee time, which gave us just enough time to check in, get carted up, and hit a few balls on the finest driving range I've had the privelege of using. While waiting to make our way to the first tee, the course photographer (that's right, they have a course photographer), introduced herself to us and let us know she'd be taking our picture on the first tee.

4.png

Once on the tee, the starter gave us a quick introduction to the course. He talked very briefly about pace of play, and did so in a very matter of fact, I'm not threatening you or not telling you to rush, manner which is exactly how it should be done. I've encountered more than my share of starters who've taken "If you're slow we're going to make you move, so you better keep up type approach to discussing pace of play. There's really never any cause to threaten me on the first tee box. You don't know me. You don't know how I play. And you most certainly don't know my pace of play philosophy (It's ok to suck, just be quick about it). The Lighthouse approach was extremely professional (more of a please respect the time of other golfers approach), which, in mind, is exactly the way these type of absolutely necessary discussions should be handled on the 1st tee box.

5.png

On pace of play related note, Lighthouse understands that they have a role to play in pace of play as well. To that end, they have a couple of forecaddies in carts that more or less hang out in strategic places on the course (on a few of the par 5s, and trickier par 4s). They do what forecaddies do...find your ball for you so you don't have to waste time looking around. They're not magicians (they can't make your ball emerge from the ocean or anything), but they do the job well, and they do it with a smile. In one particular case, I put myself in a tight spot behind a tree. Like I'm prone to do, I lined myself up for a high risk, high reward shot. To his credit, the forecaddy said nothing, but when I came to my senses and elected to play the much safer shot, the forecaddy commented "that's the right play", and gave me some decent advice on how I could best set myself up for the next shot. It's a small thing, but I appreciate the fact that he remained silent while I contemplated what would have been a boneheaded play (if I had pulled it off, it would have been awesome, although probability of actual success was 5 in a hundred at best).

6.png

Before I talk about the layout itself, let me briefly cover the course conditions: Completely F'n Awesome about sums it up. Even though it was only mid-April, the fairways, bunkers, tee boxes, and greens were in spectacular and superbly manicured conditions. One could not rationally expect better. As far as the greens go, they were far and away the fastest I've ever played in my life. I can only guess this is the kind of speed Tour pros are used to. Not having the good sense to spend so much as a second on the practice green, the speed caught me by surprise (missing my first to putts by a combined distance of probably 30 feet). It was an adjustment. Once that adjustment was made, however; I can't say I've ever enjoyed putting more. When the greens are smooth and roll true, speed is an assest. There is a tremendous confidence that comes from knowing that if you tap the ball on the right line, it's going to fall. Even up hill putts were quick. Seriously...awesome...can't say enough about it.

7.png

Despite the Pebble Beach of the East Moniker, Lighthouse doesn't try to be Pebble, and that's really cool. Holes 1 and 8 share a Long Bay of Myrtle Beach style HUGE bunker that plays more like fairway than sand. I would know this because I managed to spend time in it on both holes. Hole 2 (straight par 5) and hole 3 (short par 3) share a large green. From holes 2-7 you're basically on the ocean, and there's no end to the scenic views.

8.png

I basically boned the dog on #3 (I decided to blade wedge shots back and forth across the green until I carded an 8) which basically took me out of the round for a strech (shame on me). I caught a lucky break on the Par 5 7th (the forecaddy found a ball I thought was in the Ocean). I turned a double into par and basically turned my day around (funny how a lucky break can do that).

9.png

As cool as Lighthouse is in general, the drive from 8 to 9 offers what I think is the most unique visual feature (certainly the most unique man made feature), of the entire course. You basically drive your cart through a tunnel (under the road), and emerge at the base of 300 yard (my estimate) long causeway that carries you over the marshland to the 9th tee box.

11.png

In general, the back 9 is much more Parkland in style than the front (although the bay is visible from a few holes). The drive from 16 to 17 brings you over a less spectacular bridge and back to a more ocean-centric setting. 17 and 18 are both dog leg lefts, both are true "golf holes" with elevated greens, bunkers, and in the case of #18 a huge fall off where missing by 10 yards in almost any direction could potentially cost you 50-60 yards coming back up a severe slope. It's a great finishing hole (par 5), that's both fair and challenging, and most importantly isn't at all gimicky or cheap.

10.png

As much as I love Man O War, I think Lighthouse is the surperior course by almost every measure (although I do love the Scottish Links style). From facilities, to layout, to staff, to the intangeable fun factor (and that applies to golfers of all ability levels), The Links of Lighthouse Sound gets an A+ across the board. Simply put, if you're golfing in Ocean City, you absolutely MUST PLAY The Links at Lighthouse Sound.

12.png

*I probably should mention that we had very little wind when we played. Had it gusted like it did on Saturday at Rum Pointe I might feel differently.

13.png

Having now visited Ocean City twice, if I were to go back for 4 days tomorrow, I'd probably try and schedule it this way:

1. Links at Lighthouse Sound
  2. Rum Pointe
  3. Man O War & War Admiral
  4. Links at Lighthouse Sound

That's right...I'd play it twice. Baywood Greens in nearby Delaware is a fantasticly fun and beautiful course as well, but they often have serious pace of play issues, so Lighthouse wins.

14.png

15.png

16.png

17.png

18.png

WOW, looks like an awesome course, that pictures can't even do it all the justice it deserves. What was the rate?

John Barry

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

Honestly, not sure what I paid for the round. You know how individual pricing gets lost in package deals. The published rate for the day I played was $99.

Archived