Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

why play here

Kor.A.Door

as i read the dream golf vacation thread i had a question, and i didnt want to hijack that thread with t.

why do we choose these "dream golf vacation" destinations, i mean, we all would like create a bucket list of courses, but why do we choose the ones we do, why do we want to play here, or there. for me personally, the only course i really want to play is Augusta. the others seem to be just another course. would i play them if i was given the chance, yes, but they are just golf courses aren't they?

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Here are my reasons

Pebble/Spyglass/Spanish Bay- it looks amazing there and it's in California, many tournaments have been played there and it just seems like a must for someone who lives in California especially

St. Andrews- home of golf, don't need to say anymore

Other options- tough pick, I would need to do more research

Here are my reasons

Pebble/Spyglass/Spanish Bay- it looks amazing there and it's in California, many tournaments have been played there and it just seems like a must for someone who lives in California especially

St. Andrews- home of golf, don't need to say anymore

Other options- tough pick, I would need to do more research

I was in the Navy in the 80's, and got to enjoy shore duty in Monterey for 3 years.  Back then, you could buy a military "bag tag" for $20/month and play anywhere on the peninsula - no tee times. You just showed up and they would perhaps find a spot for you. I worked the 6pm to 6am shift in the data center and would head straight to the course after my shift. I was usually the first person there and would get put in the first group unless it was already full.  I did a rotation of Pebble Beach, Poppy Hills (right after it opened), Spanish Bay, Spyglass, (Bayonet and Blackhorse on Fort Ord)... and just kept doing that circle. I'm not sure why we couldn't get on at Cypress - I think it was super private or something. I remember that it was harder to get a vehicle pass to get to Pebble Beach than it was for me to get on the course - really strange. I was young, single, and had no idea how special that experience was. I probably played all of those courses at least 50 times in those 3 years.  Cripes I wish I would have appreciated that more. You could never do anything like that today - those courses have become too valuable and expensive to play. Out of all of them, my favorite honestly was Poppy Hills. It was lined with trees, brand new, and was just gorgeous.

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 10.5&deg - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: mini 1.5 14° - Recoil ES 450 regular

:callaway-small: XR OS 16 Hybrid (3-5) - Fubuki AT 55/60 regular shafts

:callaway-small: Apex (6-PW) - Recoil 65 F3 regular shafts 1°flat

:callaway-small: MD4 Tour Chrome wedges (50W/54S/58C) - S200 1°flat

:scotty-small: Futura X 34" - Superstroke Slim 3.0

For starters Marc thanks for your service. My son is in the Navy.

Who said just another course? Everyone of these things is living and breathing. From Augusta to the local muni each is never the same twice. I would play them all if you gave me the chance. I've sprinkled in just enough bethpages, whistlings and pebbles to know that the best is a subjective turn. Just let me play somewhere and I'm happy.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Blasphemy! Pebble Beach is not just another course.

Augusta is a close second. The old course is like playing on a history book. Everything else is just a muni if you ask me.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

what makes these courses so special, I love golf, and i dont care what course i am on, thats where i am happy. if i dont ever play any of these so called dream courses, its no big deal to me. as i said before if i was given the chance to play them i would, but many of you have them as must play before i die places, why is that? why would you pay 4, 5, 6 hundred dollars to play at a course that could care less whether you play there or not, someone somewhere has made these places out to be the greatest golf courses. I dont see it. i'm asking why are these places "not just another golf course"?

The reason both Pebble and Augusta are so much more than just golf courses, is because they're absolutely beautiful. You have to be there to understand. TV does not do them justice. It's not the tournaments held there (though that doesn't hurt). Imagine the most picturesque, beautiful views possible, and lacing your drive right down the middle of it. Incredible.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

what makes these courses so special, I love golf, and i dont care what course i am on, thats where i am happy. if i dont ever play any of these so called dream courses, its no big deal to me. as i said before if i was given the chance to play them i would, but many of you have them as must play before i die places, why is that? why would you pay 4, 5, 6 hundred dollars to play at a course that could care less whether you play there or not, someone somewhere has made these places out to be the greatest golf courses. I dont see it. i'm asking why are these places "not just another golf course"?

I can see where you are coming from and everyone will think differently about courses. For me, these courses are much more beautiful than your local municipal course and some of them carry a great history. Augusta and St. Andrews are good examples, especially St. Andrews, that's a place that I imagine almost every avid golfer would want to go to and wouldn't mind paying for if it's something they really want. 

This topic can be like equipment too. Why do people pay $500+ for a custom putter, it's just a putter isn't it? Personally, if I had that money, I would much rather play a round at Pebble vs buying a custom putter or driver or whatever it is. I'll take the memories and experience over a piece of equipment that I don't need. Everyone's different and whatever makes them happy is what matters.

The reason both Pebble and Augusta are so much more than just golf courses, is because they're absolutely beautiful. You have to be there to understand. TV does not do them justice. It's not the tournaments held there (though that doesn't hurt). Imagine the most picturesque, beautiful views possible, and lacing your drive right down the middle of it. Incredible.

Never been to either but both look beautiful on TV.  That being said,  I think Cypress Point looks even more beautiful by the pics I have seen.  It is well out of reach for someone of my status though.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

As already pointed out you could extend this analogy to just about anything.  Why would you want to drive a Ferrari when an '89 Corolla will get you from point A to point B just the same?  Why would you eat a Filet Mignon when a burger from McDonalds will still make you full?

These courses due to a variety of reasons (prestige, history, scenic views, exclusivity, toughness) are considered a cut above the rest.  Therefore they become coveted destinations for golf.  I can play my local course 50 times in a year and I have fun every time.  There is nothing wrong with playing my course and It's always enjoyable, but given the chance to play an Augusta, Pebble, Sawgrass, The Old Course etc I would jump all over it.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I think for me it is the amazing history and the fact that almost no one gets to play some of these places.

I got to go to the Masters last year and it was just the coolest place. Everything about it was amazing. Perfect conditions, remembering a historic shot on every hole from watching the tournament for so many years, the golf course is just really cool: elevation changes, crazy side hill lies, super fast undelating greens, It is so wide open in some spots and so tight in others, those gapping deep bunkers.

I want to play Pine Valley because it has history and exclusivity and is also supposed to be one of the most challenging golf course in America. They did an article in Golf Digest where they asked a bunch of famous pros what their favorite courses were and it was crazy how many of them said Pine Valley was their favorite course.

Seminole in Florida would be another one for these same reasons. Hogan spent most of his winters there in his prime and said it was his favorite course.

Certain golf courses I have been fortunate enough to play just have a different aura because of the history. I had the pleasure to play Shady Oaks in Fort Worth about 10 years ago. Hogan spent the last 20 years of his life there as a member. I played with a friend who was a former assistant pro. He showed me Hogan's locker and let me hold and swing some of his clubs that were there on display. I hit balls at his spot on the driving range and from under a tree in the middle of their par three course where hogan would practice because he could rotate for 270 degrees and hit to all sorts of greens in different directions and distances. He had a seat in their grill where he ate lunch almost every day. The golf course was built by department store magnate Marvin Leonard to be the Augusta of Texas. It has undulating bent grass greens, elevation changes, no rough: the grass is fairway height everywhere, and deep white sand bunkers that supposedly got their sand from the same place Augusta does. It was just special.

I also really liked playing Austin Country Club. There is all the history with Harvey Pennick, Tom Kite and Ben Crenshaw. It is also the swankiest country club I have ever been to. I felt out of place. Perfect conditions and it was the coolest Modern Layout I have ever played. Every hole was different and every hole was difficult. 

That being said I also have super fond memories of the Municipal Golf Course I learned how to play on and worked at in high school and my first year hole from college. I no longer have family there but I plan on taking a trip in the near future just to play a handful of courses I grew up playing for the sake of nostalgia. That will be a great trip too.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Okay I think I understand the question now.  I haven't been to Augusta but I have played Pebble, Whistling Straits, Blackwolf Run (they've played 2 Women's Opens there), PGA National and Bethpage Black, I've also played a number of other very good courses, Westchester Country Club, TPC Tampa Bay, Doral, World Woods, Brown Deer Park and on and on but I wanted to stick with that first group.

The fact that they all hosted major golf tournaments is something unique and special.  The USGA and the PGA thought that these courses were among the very best in the country.  Pebble's property is stunning and as someone who is scared of heights I can tell you that those holes around the turn 8,9,10 - they are scary.  The tee shot on 18 is pretty intimidating for someone who draws the ball - I played there quite some time ago with a wooden driver when you'd curve it much more than now - it was very, very intimidating and there's OB right.   Whistling has that same intimidation factor because it looks like the surface of the moon - Bethpage is so tough its hard to describe (although I played it pre-openizing - I suspect its much more fair than when I played it.)  My preference honestly is Black Wolf run - hilly, lovely terrain, but I can see where it wouldn't be a favorite because for the big boys its not long enough. 

I would love to go and play courses in Scotland just to see that play bounce and roll and run and then try to figure it all out. 

Oh yeah I've played Valderama - that was a treat - not - beautiful layout but some funky holes.  The great courses really have no funky holes - each hole is a thing of beauty and whether or not it's true they look as if they've always been there and were always meant to be that way.

Sorry for the long answer but I love this game and its courses -

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

As already pointed out you could extend this analogy to just about anything.  Why would you want to drive a Ferrari when an '89 Corolla will get you from point A to point B just the same?  Why would you eat a Filet Mignon when a burger from McDonalds will still make you full?

These courses due to a variety of reasons (prestige, history, scenic views, exclusivity, toughness) are considered a cut above the rest.  Therefore they become coveted destinations for golf.  I can play my local course 50 times in a year and I have fun every time.  There is nothing wrong with playing my course and It's always enjoyable, but given the chance to play an Augusta, Pebble, Sawgrass, The Old Course etc I would jump all over it.

I love playing the city course right by my house.  I think what makes getting the chance to play a course like Pebble so great is 

1. Anticipation-you can be having a horrible day but then think,  I'm playing Pebble in 3 months.  Instant pick me up.

2. Great memories for a lifetime and fantastic conversation piece for people who have like interests. 

That being said,  I can join and walk my home course for an entire year for less than the price of 1 round at Pebble.  Yowsers!!!

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

i like the answers so far, dont get me wrong, i would play any of them given the chance. I'm just trying to figure out what makes them special, what if anything makes them seem to be so much more than just another course. why are these courses a must play for YOU? why do YOU want to play them so badly?

I also forgot to mention Bandon. That is my number one vacation spot for many reasons.

1. It has 4 of the best courses you can play all in one location.

2. It is completely golf centric: There is nothing but golf, you have to walk, etc. 

3. It is supposedly true links golf. It's supposed to be like playing in Scotland or Ireland, but here in the states. 

4. It seems like the weather there makes it possible to have a good trip almost any time and it seems good deals can be had late fall or early spring.

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

I also forgot to mention Bandon. That is my number one vacation spot for many reasons.

1. It has 4 of the best courses you can play all in one location.

2. It is completely golf centric: There is nothing but golf, you have to walk, etc. 

3. It is supposedly true links golf. It's supposed to be like playing in Scotland or Ireland, but here in the states. 

4. It seems like the weather there makes it possible to have a good trip almost any time and it seems good deals can be had late fall or early spring.

It is all true.  Also has the best par 3 course prob in the world now.  I wish I could afford to go every year.

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

It is all true.  Also has the best par 3 course prob in the world now.  I wish I could afford to go every year.

Better than the Treetops Par 3 in Gaylord Michigan??  Had a nationally televised PGA pro tournament there for about three years running.  Awesome elevation changes. Used to vacation up there.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Better than the Treetops Par 3 in Gaylord Michigan??  Had a nationally televised PGA pro tournament there for about three years running.  Awesome elevation changes. Used to vacation up there.  

I have never been there but TreeTops was the only other par 3 that came to mind when I said that based on reputation.  The great thing at Bandon is it has literally about 10 sets of tees for each hole and it's 13 holes.  Plus it's at Bandon,  u have the wind blowing and u can see the ocean and glimpses of people playing 18 at Bandon Dunes.  It's just a really special place all around.

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I mostly play local public tracks, but it is nice to head out to Bethpage and play a few rounds a year on the Black just to see how my game stacks up against the best in the world.  It is also cool to watch the pros play somewhere that I have played just to compare club selection and strategy.  It is a nice feeling to be able to play the same tracks that the best in the world get to play and also cool to be able to play some of the best courses in the world on occasion.  As said earlier a bad day can be made much better when you get a nice invite to play a good track.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

• 2 weeks later...

Im not big on destination courses in california.  I don't like hitting the ball nowhere.  I love courses with a lot of water like florida golf.  I also like hitting the ball a mile in arizona where the air is so dry.

Driver:  Taylormade 2017 M2 9.5 degree head played at 8 degrees.  Fujikura speeder evolution tour spec x flex shaft tipped 1/4 inch.  

3-Wood: 15 degree M2 tour.  Fujikura pro 73 tour spec X flex shaft.  

Mizuno H5 2 iron.

4 iron: mizuno mp h4 4 iron dynamic gold s300

5-pw iron: mizuno mp 54 dynamic gold s300

52, 56, 60 wedges: cleveland 588 rotex cavity

putter: 34 inch nike method 00 half circle mallet putter

I mostly play local public tracks, but it is nice to head out to Bethpage and play a few rounds a year on the Black just to see how my game stacks up against the best in the world.  It is also cool to watch the pros play somewhere that I have played just to compare club selection and strategy.  It is a nice feeling to be able to play the same tracks that the best in the world get to play and also cool to be able to play some of the best courses in the world on occasion.  As said earlier a bad day can be made much better when you get a nice invite to play a good track.

Thanks Jmike, I couldn't have said it any better.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Archived