Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

MGS Official Forum Member Reviews! Cobra Bio Cell Irons!

GolfSpy WD

loving the pink!! nice photos guys :)

i hit these irons over the weekend at the Vancouver Golf Show and they felt pretty good! looking forward to your reviews!

Driver: Looking for a new one for 2014! Covert? SLDR? Big Bertha? Any suggestions?!

3 wood: Taylormade RBZ 3-wood, stock

Hybrid: Adams A4OS 3 hybrid (19 degree) and 4 hybrid (22 degree)

Irons: Callaway X18 irons, 3-PW

Wedges: Cleveland 588DSG 54*, Titleist Vokey SM2 60*

Putter: Nike Unitized Leo

Shoes: Adidas TOUR360

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every time I have something on the books, it snows, what in the world is going on here on the East Coast!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

That pink is absolutely stunning.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

JaxBeachPackerFan's Review—Cobra Bio-Cell Irons

Unboxing/Initial Impressions

So, I get a MyGolfSpy Private Message from my opponent in the finals of the MyGolfSpy ESPN Fantasy Football League Championship Game, which I expect to be some trash talking about the upcoming weekend.  Instead, it's an invitation to do a Forum Member clubtest!  And only a half-hearted joke about benching my team for the finals as a prerequisite!  Of course, I jump on this.  We find out it's to test the new Cobra Bio-Cell Irons.  We send in our specs for our current irons and eagerly start waiting for the new toys.

And wait.

And wait.

And wait.

And kinda forget about it.

And, three days ago, dear wife says:  “You expecting a package?”  “Yes, got a case of wine coming from WineWoot.”  “It's an awful skinny bottle!” 

It's the Cobras!  Almost two months from the initial titillation.  Actually, all is good and the delay was actually fortuitous, ‘cause my bad and aching back was on fire for the months of December and January.  No practice whatsoever and limited rounds—woulda been tough to want to put some new clubs through the paces.  Back started rounding into shape a couple of weeks ago, started going to the range again and, lo and behold, the clubs arrive.  So, good to go!

Eagerly, I sliced the packing tape and opened the box.  There they were, wrapped loosely in packing paper, with each clubhead encased in a bubblewrap sock secured by a rubberband. 

No Styrofoam club brackets (see Rocketbladez) or custom clubhead covers.  Shafts weren't wrapped either, but I presume that would have been superfluous with steel shafts.  I looked back at last summer's Amp Cell iron reviews, and packaging was very similar.  No matter, really, the clubs came through in perfect shape.

I ordered the blue version.  The clubheads are very attractive and much better looking than Eagle12's orange/red AmpCells he bought last year (we compared them yesterday before our round). 

For those of you in the polar vortex or Snowmaggedon II, here's a pic of the clubhead with a little Florida beach sunshine!

cobra1.jpg

The grips are very blue, bright blue.  But I'm already used to them (I'm not big on colorful equipment (my golf bag is gray, towel is black), but it really doesn't matter much to me).

My current irons are TMag R9s, which were fit for me at the TPC Sawgrass Tour Academy in August, 2010.  Submitted my current specs, so I'll be curious to see what they gave me when I take them for launch monitor testing. 

The weighting concept or gimmick with the BioCells is the two Tungsten weights on the back sole.  On the 4 through 7 irons, the weights are in the two outside cells and on the 8 through gap wedge, they're in the inside cells.  One question I've had, and still have, is why the moniker “Bio.”  I was half expecting some sort of biological miracle substance incorporated somewhere in a speed slot or otherwise, but Tungsten is clearly not biological.

cobra2.jpg

Speaking of speed slots, there is a deep gap between the face and back weight structure, apparently to enable a thin face.  My first reaction is that it looks good, but won't it be a dirt or mud magnet and very difficult to clean?  One round is already in, on an extremely muddy and wet day, and looking at the clubs, that apparently isn't a problem (or our bag guys are really, really good) (that, and one other preview comment in a couple of paragraphs, are the only sneak peaks you'll get on the full review—sorry).

Clubheads are bigger than my R9s (and very much bigger than my older Titleist DT 932s), but not objectionably so.  Already used to it, again.

Sole and front edge are very shiny (I couldn't keep reflections out of the picture below), and the rest of the plain steel is a matte finish.  I was at Edwin Watts this afternoon getting new softspikes and I took at look at various clubs.  The Rocketbladez by contrast are matte on the bottom and shiny where the BioCells are matte. 

cobra3.jpg

Top line is not thin, but it appears to be about the same as my R9s, so again, not an issue.  Otherwise, very good looking and comfortable at address.

Sneak Peak Preview I promised.  Based upon one range session and one round, huge distance gains are not a feature of these irons (contrast the Rocketbladez reviews!).  I used my normal yardages in selecting clubs and I was getting similar results.

I like my current irons, but they are 4 year old technology.  I'm curious to see what accuracy benefits the newer technology will provide me.  I'm a straight ball hitter, never have really tried to work the ball, so that won't be my focus.  I was very intrigued by the Rocketbladez distance gains, and will be curious if I can obtain anything similar (notwithstanding early returns).  I've never purchased a Cobra product before, so I'm interested to learn if there is another product line options for me going forward.  Titleist, TMag and Callaway have been my brands of choice.

Lesson today and play again Friday—the Review process begins! 

[actual post date: February 13,2014]

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

An issue came up where I had accidentally ordered Jax's irons 2* flat instead of 2* upright. Jax tried for a long time to get used to it, but was constantly short and hitting balls right. He went to several shops and none were willing to try bending the clubs to 2* upright. Instead, during a MGS Open in Florida, Jax offered the clubs to RevKev and Fozcycle. Rev tried them, but in the end gave them to Foz because he fit the demographic better.

Foz's initial impressions:

You can find Jax's original initial impressions here:

An issue came up where I had accidentally ordered Jax's irons 2* flat instead of 2* upright. Jax tried for a long time to get used to it, but was constantly short and hitting balls right. He went to several shops and none were willing to try bending the clubs to 2* upright. Instead, during a MGS Open in Florida, Jax offered the clubs to RevKev and Fozcycle. Rev tried them, but in the end gave them to Foz because he fit the demographic better.

Foz's initial impressions:

You can find Jax's original initial impressions here:

The one thing that this experience absolutely confirms is the importance of fitting to one's ability to maximize one's results with the equipment.  It took me a couple of range sessions and two rounds, all the time saying that these clubs should at least be equal to my current clubs, and ideally expecting the Rocketblallz experience of significantly increased distance, but getting a lot of mediocre results.  It was a flushed pitching wedge from 115 yds, after which I yelled "finally, I hit a good one", only to have it end up short, a bit right and only 88 yds, that caused me to really, seriously examine what was going on.  I went back to my old clubs for the next round and shot 14 strokes better!  After researching the forum, I focused on the lie, and I could definitely see, just eyeballing the Cobras versus my old, fitted 2 degree upright R9s, that there was a substantial difference (about a inch difference in the shaft angle of the two 7 irons with the soles laying flat).  Took out the protractor and a crude measurement showed a significant difference.  Took the clubs into Golftec and they measured and confirmed a 4 deg difference!  So, quickly determined that the 2+ had been actually delivered as a 2-.  I did hit one extremely awesome shot with the Cobra five iron.  I had pulled a drive left, with the ball ending up on a steep sidehill lie, ball significantly below my feet.  That I flushed, 10 yds beyond my normal 5 iron distance, straight, high and pure.  Consistent also with the flatter lie.

Fortunately, Foz is a more flat than upright player, so it was a fortuitous turn of events that Mr. Kentucky was able to take over the test of the Kentucky blue cobras!  Sounds like a win result from the initial reports!

Appreciate the opportunity WD!  If you ever are looking for testers in the future, well, just saying, you know how to reach me!  

Great review. What was the average with the cobra short iron? The watermark is right on top of it and is a little too solid to see through.

Interesting that it pretty much matches the speed blade distance.

@bestgrips   @puttershoes

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Check out the new site (www.bestgrips.com)!
Use "golfspy" for free shipping on all U.S. orders over $50!

What's in my BG custom club glove staff bag? Click here.

Current ball of choice: 'Stones three three zero.

Nice Brad!  It's great to see someone else love the shovels as much as I do.  I'm still playing the Amp Cell's from last years review and they are working out so well I'm debating about selling my Adams CMB "back up" set :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Great job Brad! Can't wait to see how the 3 month update goes once you get used to the new courses.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Nice review AO! It sounds like the Bio Cells are similar to the Amp Cells only maybe a little longer. I had the same request about the shaft options last year. Maybe they will listen to you this time. Good luck with them!

Great review Brad.  I was in the anti-Bio Cell camp when it came to looks, but after seeing them in person and looking at your picture, you're right - the suckers sure do stand out.  

Got to review the Amp Cells last year, and had very similar experiences with the short and mid-irons - stupid easy to hit and deadly point-and-shoot accurate.  Didn't experience the distance gains you did, but that may be a shaft difference.

Good job, mate!  Cobra does seems to have created a club that needs to be noticed.

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Nice Brad!  It's great to see someone else love the shovels as much as I do.  I'm still playing the Amp Cell's from last years review and they are working out so well I'm debating about selling my Adams CMB "back up" set :)

haha, yeah I'm in the process of trying to sell my CB3s (which I foresee gathering a lot of dust) at the moment so I can fund the purchase of a Karsten TR (especially excited about that with the mallet results on the blog) and a 3/4FM (have narrowed it down to either Bio Cell, Tight Lies or XCG-6).

I was going to put them up on here, but shipping to the mainland is ridiculous.

Just a quick note. I just hit the SpeedBlade 6 iron against my Cobra Amp Cell 6 iron and the SB was about 5 to 8 yards longer. So the Bio Cells appear to have gained a little distance compared to last years offering. Keep up the good work reviewers!

Just a quick note. I just hit the SpeedBlade 6 iron against my Cobra Amp Cell 6 iron and the SB was about 5 to 8 yards longer. So the Bio Cells appear to have gained a little distance compared to last years offering. Keep up the good work reviewers!

I haven't hit the Amp Cell irons SMRT but apparently the Bio Cells have the largest 'unsupported face' of any Cobra iron. According to Cobra this helps to increase ball speeds so this may have something to do with the increased distance. It'll be interesting when I get the chance to get on the Launch monitor to look at swings with similar swing speeds with different clubs and see whether there is an identifiable increase in ball speed off the face. Watch this space I guess! Whatever the combo is, it certainly is working for me.

Just realized that WD posted my initial impressions of the Bio Cell irons....

Here's the shortcut....

enjoy the read....

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Good job on the review foz!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Good job Foz. You kind of lost me with this statement though...

When struck on the toe, you get immediate feedback with a vibration. This allows me to pull my follow through and keep the ball close to the center line.

Good job Foz. You kind of lost me with this statement though...

I have been able to get my right hand to "roll over" which helps keep the toe hit from going way right.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

I have been able to get my right hand to "roll over" which helps keep the toe hit from going way right.

That's kinda what I thought you meant. I think we all try to rotate the club more or lean trying to correct the ball flight when we realize we miss hit it. The thing is, it's impossible to react to a miss hit to have any effect on the outcome. By the time our brain can register that it was a toe hit and then have our muscles react in any way, the ball is long gone and it's just wishful thinking. Nothing we suddenly change in our follow through will do a thing to correct the ball flight.

If you're seeing a better result from those toe shots than you're used to, I would bet it's from the design of these clubs letting you get away with shots that would hurt you more with other clubs, which is the idea behind these. Sounds like they're doing their job for you. Pretty cool!

If you're seeing a better result from those toe shots than you're used to, I would bet it's from the design of these clubs letting you get away with shots that would hurt you more with other clubs, which is the idea behind these. Sounds like they're doing their job for you. Pretty cool!

I am sure that's probably what it is......it just "feels like" I am able to pull it.....when it really is the Tungsten weighting that's on the outside of the long and mid irons.........and Absolutely...that is pretty cool!

Great review Foz!  Awesome that you're having a good experience with them.  I'm now jealous, 'cause they really looked like they could have been great clubs for me.  I can't wait to see the results in person!

Got another closest to the pin(CTP) today.....#2 Par 3 158 yards.

I used the 5 iron.......shot a 42/48 90 today.....was doing great but ran out of gas and double bogeyed 3 holes on the back nine.

Sorry about the huge delay folks in my review, and most of all sorry to the great folks at My Golf Spy inner office!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Archived