TESTERS WANTED! ×

A question regarding putter torching

having read the DIY post, the following conversation to the post and other articles around the web I have made an inference that I could soften the face of a putter by torching it without removing the finish or obviously quenching in water or oil.

Would this work? If not, is there a way to soften the face of a stainless steel putter?

17* Acer XF Fairway Wood, Stiff Steel, hardstep x1, 41.5"

5-PW Tempest Pro Drive Blades, Stiff

52* & 58* Acer XB Satin Finish, Stiff

Acer iSight Centre Shafted with Two Thumb grip and 80g counterweight, 34"

Offhand, I think the only way of softening metal by heating is if the metal was hardened in the first place. Even then, you would have had to heat it red hot thereby removing the temper and then let it air cool. I doubt any putter is hardened steel as that is not necessary to a putter's function. Stainless is simply a harder steel than simple carbon steel but is not hardened steel.

Shambles

Alright then, cheers guys. Will just be a stamping job once everything arrives in the post! B)

17* Acer XF Fairway Wood, Stiff Steel, hardstep x1, 41.5"

5-PW Tempest Pro Drive Blades, Stiff

52* & 58* Acer XB Satin Finish, Stiff

Acer iSight Centre Shafted with Two Thumb grip and 80g counterweight, 34"

Unless it's copper, there's no way you're gonna get it hot enough with a propane torch to anneal it. You might get close with MAPP gas but I have serious doubts. If you want softer, chances are, you'll need to replace the flat stick.

I tested this and checked with the metallurgist at work at the power plant a few weeks or so back. He said that a standard propane torch isn't getting it there even if you cherry red it. He said you can't get it that hot. And the reason it came up is I wanted to try to soften a seat ring on cap on an oil pressure regulator and reuse it instead of cutting a new one. He said it's possible with copper but not soft carbon with a torch. He said I could carefully do it with oxy-acetalyne and get it right at melting point and do it.

I was under the impression in Matt's thread it could be done after conversations with a few folks regarding it and I've since learned different . So my apologies for leading one astray in that thread. But hey, it's half mental so you might could fool yourself into thinking it's softer.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Archived